Diana's Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know its incorrect but Princess Diana just sticks honestly.

If Diana had lived to see her son succeed as King William V would Diana be in a powerful position within the Royal Family? I know she wouldn't have the title of Queen Mother but do you think she would have some sort of role like that.

If Diana had lived to see her son succeed as King William V would Diana be in a powerful position within the Royal Family? I know she wouldn't have the title of Queen Mother but do you think she would have some sort of role like that.

Highly doubtful. At the point William becomes king, Diana would have been a private citizen for likely close to 40 years (would be 22 years this year). While Diana would likely have continued with her charity work, it would have been as a private citizen. If she had remarried eventually, that would lessen even more.

There will not be a queen mother, but there will be a dowager queen. Diana would not have had a place like Camilla will have. Though Camilla is not William's mother, she will be the widow of the king.

Diana would have been like Princess Muna of Jordan. Her son is king, but she hasn't been raised to any new level by her son being king. She is not the king's widow.

If Diana and Camilla were both alive when William became King, would Camilla as Queen Dowager have higher precedence than Diana as Mother of the King? I didn't know whether William could give Diana have higher precedence than Camilla and if he has the power to do so.

If Diana and Camilla were both alive when William became King, would Camilla as Queen Dowager have higher precedence than Diana as Mother of the King? I didn't know whether William could give Diana have higher precedence than Camilla and if he has the power to do so.

Camilla would have been Queen Consort, whereas Diana would only be the ex-wife of the Prince of Wales and mother of the King. Camilla would take precedence.

I believe William, as King, could set precedence for private family events, but not for official events

Precedence not regulated by law is a matter for the Sovereign. Under the scenario given, William would most certainly grant his mother precedence over Camilla.

I don't know if Camilla would have been involved in many family events when William became King, it depends on how close they are and I don't know if you still keep relations with your Step-Mother once your Father has died. Diana may not have wanted Camilla around for royal and family events and William may not want to go against his mother's wishes.

It would depend on how badly Diana's image would have been hurt if she had lived a long life. In general terms, I would say though that, unless she had remarried someone else, William V would have probably restored her HRH style and dignity as he has always struck me as being heavily influenced by his mother.

Camilla would have been Queen Consort, whereas Diana would only be the ex-wife of the Prince of Wales and mother of the King. Camilla would take precedence.

I believe William, as King, could set precedence for private family events, but not for official events

Charles probably would never have married Camilla if Diana had been alive.

I assume that Diana and Camilla would both be invited to King William V's and Queen Catherine's Coronation. That would be interesting to see who has higher precedence at the event. The Duke of Edinburgh had higher precedence than the Queen Mother through the Sovereign's Will so I assume William could do the same for his Mother.

I assume that Diana and Camilla would both be invited to King William V's and Queen Catherine's Coronation. That would be interesting to see who has higher precedence at the event. The Duke of Edinburgh had higher precedence than the Queen Mother through the Sovereign's Will so I assume William could do the same for his Mother.

You forget that Queen Elizabeth (the QM) and Prince Philip are members of the Royal House. The same counts for Queen Camilla. She is a member of the Royal House unlike Lady Diana Al-Fayed (or Lady Diana Khan, whatever). Undoubtedly she would have a prominent place but is hard to see how Lady Diana Al-Fayed and her husband Mr Dodi Al-Fayed could ever outrank Her Majesty Queen Camilla, The Queen-Dowager, during the Coronation.

Last edited:
We really can't know what would happen in this scenario - there are so many variables. Would the general attitude towards the public be the same towards Camilla? Would the general attitude towards the public be the same towards Diana? Would William have a different relationship with his father, mother, or stepmother had Diana lived? Would there be an overall different attitude towards the British monarchy had the British people not gone through Diana's death?

I would argue that we can assume that all of these things would be different, but without knowing exactly how each is different it's impossible to know how Diana would have been treated where she alive when William became King.

One thing affecting Diana's precedence would be if William V kept his childhood pledge and gave his mother back her HRH. Constitutionally, could he make her a Princess of the United Kingdom in her own right? HRH Princess Diana? That is, if she were still living.

One thing affecting Diana's precedence would be if William V kept his childhood pledge and gave his mother back her HRH. Constitutionally, could he make her a Princess of the United Kingdom in her own right? HRH Princess Diana? That is, if she were still living.
Hmm well Edward VII made his granddaughter's Princesses of Fife with the style of Highness so I guess anything is possible.
As can be seen with The Queen and her ex-daughters-in-laws and grandchildren titles and styles seems to be for her to do what she pleases with.

The Monarch is the fount of honours so he or she can give titles as they please. THey cannot interfere in the succession, however..
So Will could have given Diana the HRH, or he could have made her a princess in her own right.. but I don't think he would have...

If Diana had lived, I don't think she would like to have any title. When her son ascends to the crown, she would mostly probably be titled Lady Diana Fayed, a world-wide respected humanitarian, doing charity works all over the work with her husband Dodi Fayed. In this sense, I don't think a title would be a good thing to her work. However, this is not the mission God had assigned to her; she had another mission to fulfill. Though, she is not physically present now, it doesn't means she failed her mission. The mission is still on going, because love itself has power, and it always preserves and does not fail.

If Diana had lived, I don't think she would like to have any title. When her son ascends to the crown, she would mostly probably be titled Lady Diana Fayed, a world-wide respected humanitarian, doing charity works all over the work with her husband Dodi Fayed. In this sense, I don't think a title would be a good thing to her work. However, this is not the mission God had assigned to her; she had another mission to fulfill. Though, she is not physically present now, it doesn't means she failed her mission. The mission is still on going, because love itself has power, and it always preserves and does not fail.

I'm sorry but the thought of Dodi giving up his playboy lifestyle to do charitable works made me laugh. If Diana had lived I do hope she eventually found someone to share her life, I really don't think that person would have been Dodi.

It is very hard to say whether William (when he becomes King) would have restored her HRH, made her a Princess in her own right or what. It's been almost 21 years since her death, it could be another 25 years before William is King. Lots of things could have happened in those 46 years to impact those decisions.

It is hard to imagine that a Lady Diana Al-Fayed or a Lady Diana Khan, would be created Her Royal Highness Princess Diana of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, some 40-50 years after her divorce from the then Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but the thought of Dodi giving up his playboy lifestyle to do charitable works made me laugh. If Diana had lived I do hope she eventually found someone to share her life, I really don't think that person would have been Dodi.

It is very hard to say whether William (when he becomes King) would have restored her HRH, made her a Princess in her own right or what. It's been almost 21 years since her death, it could be another 25 years before William is King. Lots of things could have happened in those 46 years to impact those decisions.

Love can change a person, from Dodi's own world, he not only loved Diana, but admired her greatly. In his own word, she was "a real princess". How can you exclude the possibility that he would change because her?

Personally, I don't think a man that flew out to join Diana, her boys and his father on a summer's cruise and stashed away his fiancee on a nearby yacht for "convenience" and then dumping her and taking up with Diana for a couple of weeks before they both were killed, is conductive to saying that Dodi was a "man in love".

I'm sure there was physical attraction and a lot of Daddy's prodding going on behind the scenes that they "hit it off" but nothing, not one single thing, ever pointed to Diana and Dodi actually being "in love" with each other. By the time it was over and they had reached Paris, I think Diana was more than ready to fly home to her sons.

Had they lived, I really doubt that Dodi would have been in it for the long haul nor do I think Diana would have wanted him to.

As far as restoring Diana's HRH, I don't think it ever would have happened. When William professed to restore it, he was only a young teenager and as he grew up and matured and really got to know the ins and outs of being a monarch, he would have realized that what he said as a teen wasn't a practical move.

Whoever Diana married she would have carried on her charitable work and causes, IMO.

And time doesn't change an offspring's love for a parent. Yes it has been twenty one years since Diana's death but look at how William and Harry honoured her in the twentieth year of her passing. William has stated that he speaks about his mother to his children, keeping the legacy alive.

I do believe that William would have honoured his promise to his mother to restore her HRH, however long it took.

What in the world does any of this have to do with Diana's styles and titles?

Diana's relationship with Dodi has nothing to do with her Styles and Titles. Let's move on.

Further posts on the topic will be deleted.

Hello there, hopefully someone can answer my query, which is that when Diana divorced it was announced that she would be invited to certain state/national occasions. I know this is purely hypothetical but what events would these curtail? Obviously she would be invited to her son's weddings and her Grandchildren's christenings but would she had be invited to events such as the Diamond Jubilee and The Queen's 90th Birthday services? I am pretty confident though that events such as The Queen Mother's funeral and looking ahead will be invited to the Queen's funeral and future coronations as these are major state events.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would it be strange to suggest the same type of events that Sarah Ferguson is invited to? Diana would have been in a similar position after her divorce, right?

Possibly but the fact that the palace said Diana would be invited to state and national occasions made me wonder as they did not say that regarding Sarah.

I am sure that things like the Jubilees and future Coronations would have been included but not something like Trooping on an annual basis.

I doubt she would have been invited to State Dinners in the present or next reigns but could see William inviting her to take a place at a formal State Banquet.

Perhaps something similar to Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg - she attended the funeral of Prince Henrik, and was at the recent 50th birthday celebrations of the Danish Crown Prince.
(I do appreciate that she wasn't the ex-wife of the heir to the Danish throne, and likely no formal announcement was made of her future potential invitations after divorce)

Possibly but the fact that the palace said Diana would be invited to state and national occasions made me wonder as they did not say that regarding Sarah.

Sarah was pretty much cast loose, though she has been invited to some things and has been given a bit of friendship by the queen in latter years. Diana was much more popular and the mother of the heir.. so she was still "kept within the fold" if she wanted to be. She lost the HRH, and wasn't really more than tolerated by some of the RF, but I think the queen still wished to treat her as a member of the family, even if she withdrew the HRH...

Back
Top Bottom