Death of Queen Elizabeth II - Lying-in-State, Edinburgh and London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad the granddaughters are doing it, too, but I worry it might get too emotional for Bea and Eugenie and maybe Louise. And maybe even moreso James.

I think they all must have really wanted to do it. No doubt it will be very difficult, but I think it’s probably very important to all of them to do it.

Nobody would have thought anything about it if it had just been the boys- and if James had been excluded, due to his age.

Anne has been the only exception to the rules where male roles are concerned. And Anne is Anne.

I just wonder who made the decision. Did the Queen want it? Did Charles make the decision?
How did the subject come up exactly?

Regardless- as far as the Vigil is concerned, the important part to me is the girls get to participate.

Last edited:
It really is very frustrating that it came up so repeatedly. It’s only an issue because they’ve made it one. There are times to recognize when something isn’t about you and this is one of those times.

THIS. I’m over it from both of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of the girls participating started with Zara wanting to do what her brother was able to do. She is very much her mother's daughter. I can see Zara talking to Eugenie who I think is the less emotional of the York sisters (note 'less emotional' doesn't mean not emotional) and once those three were on board it wouldn't be hard to convince Louise that she should do this as well. She seems a very controlled young lady.

The only two of the eight I would be concerned about breaking down completely would be Beatrice and James so I do hope that are positioned where they can see their support - husband and parents respectively to receive their encouragement to keep going.

Last edited:
I remember reading about the grandsons and granddaughters standing vigil when the London Bridge plans were leaked. So if that was true, it had been planned at least a year.

I think they all must have really wanted to do it. No doubt it will be very difficult, but I think it’s probably very important to all of them to do it.

Nobody would have thought anything about it if it had just been the boys- and if James had been excluded, due to his age.

Anne has been the only exception to the rules where male roles are concerned. And Anne is Anne.

I just wonder who made the decision. Did the Queen want it? Did Charles make the decision?
How did the subject come up exactly?

Regardless- as far as the Vigil is concerned, the important part to me is the girls get to participate.

You are right Anne is Anne, she would never call herself a feminist but she stood tall in a man’s world.

The London Bridge plans have been in the public domain for at least 20 years. I have them saved on an old disk somewhere. There was no mention of grandchildren doing a vigil in those plans.

The London Bridge plans have been in the public domain for at least 20 years. I have them saved on an old disk somewhere. There was no mention of grandchildren doing a vigil in those plans.

I remember reading it somewhere. I read different forums or sites about royals. It is very possible that I am remembering someone's speculation. How does the plan published on public domain 20 years ago compare to the plan that was "leaked" in September of last year. It was by the magazine Politico. I'm American and I am thinking my memory of reading of the grandchildren vigil was something in reference to that article. Twenty years ago there were not eight grandchildren to have a vigil.

Every plan I have seen over the past 20 years have been the same. All that is different this time is the events in Scotland due to The Queen dying there rather than in England.

Then it must be someone's speculation that I read. I'm sure I did not come up with the idea myself. I don't know enough about royal customs to do that.

The speculation makes sense given the ages of the six older grandchildren but I have never seen it confirmed until this week.

I am still surprised that Edward and Sophie are letting James do this but it would be hard to stop him when the other grandchildren are doing this. I do hope he is positioned where he can see his parents for encouragement if he is starting to get overwhelmed with it all.

The speculation makes sense given the ages of the six older grandchildren but I have never seen it confirmed until this week.

I am still surprised that Edward and Sophie are letting James do this but it would be hard to stop him when the other grandchildren are doing this. I do hope he is positioned where he can see his parents for encouragement if he is starting to get overwhelmed with it all.

If I am not mistaken, James is coming up to 15, so not that young. That was around the age William was at the time of Diana's death, and older than Harry. I am sure he will be absolutely fine.

He also comes across as a lot more sensitive than either William or Harry and has been a lot more protected from any exposure to the public.

As I actually reflect on this, my memory probably comes from someone mentioning the grandsons' vigil for the Queen Mother. Someone wrote the grandsons and granddaughters could do it. I'm always looking for gender equity, so I'm sure that's why I remember it.

I hope James and Louise will be OK at the grandchildren vigil.

The photos that I have seen suggest they have been deeply upset - that’s not to that the others are OK but I really hope Louise and James are doing this for them and for not any other reasons.

I hope camera angles will not overly feature James. They could focus mostly the adults. I think he would regret or resent it if he was not involved.

He also comes across as a lot more sensitive than either William or Harry and has been a lot more protected from any exposure to the public.

With all respect, but a tragic and unexpected death of a mother, who was in prime of her age is a far more tragic and it is undoubtedly a greater shock to the teenager than that of a grandmother who was over 90 and who was getting weaker and weaker.

A teenager should already be familiar with death - in the past centuries, even children were (when a member of the multigenerational family died at home)

It amazes me how some persons here treat James as if he were four, and not fourteen.

What I understand (as reported by several RRs), the 8 grandchildren will do the vigil together, not in two group of 4; William will stand at the head, flanked by Zara Tindall and Peter Philips; while Harry at the foot flanked by Beatrice and Eugenie, with Louise and James at the middle of the coffin. So in this case James will have either Peter-Bea or Zara-Eugenie by his side if he needs support, so does Louise.

What time does the vigil of HMQII's children start? I want to watch it live.

With all respect, but a tragic and unexpected death of a mother, who was in prime of her age is a far more tragic and it is undoubtedly a greater shock to the teenager than that of a grandmother who was over 90 and who was getting weaker and weaker.

A teenager should already be familiar with death - in the past centuries, even children were (when a member of the multigenerational family died at home)

It amazes me how some persons here treat James as if he were four, and not fourteen.

IMO my concern for James it's not about familiar with death or not. Just James always seems shy and uncomfortable when he is being in the public eyes (which could be my wrong impression). And being four, fourteen or forty it's not relevant.

And death is always not easy to deal with, no matter what kinds of death it's, no matter how old one is.

Amongst the general public queuing for HM The Queen's Lying-in-State in Westminster Hall was Lieutenant General David Leakey, who served as the Black Rod between 2010 and 2018. He was interviewed by Barbara Miller from the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Miller did not recognise Leakey and even asked him about the role of the Black Rod. To which Leakey replied “Well you have a Black Rod in Australia”. He was also asked about his meeting with The Queen and rather oddly about Charles's frustration with ink pens.

VIDEO: Former Black Rod David Leakey reflects on the Queen and her funeral
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-15/former-black-rod-david-leakey-reflects-on-the-queen/14054514

I'm sure James will be OK. 14 is not a baby, it's only for half an hour, and most of the media focus is going to be on William and Harry. I'm glad that all 8 of them are taking part.

It's unfortunate that someone made a mistake about Crown Princess Mary, but mistakes happen, and I'm sure that it could have been resolved so that she could attend.

I'm sure James will be OK. 14 is not a baby, it's only for half an hour, and most of the media focus is going to be on William and Harry. I'm glad that all 8 of them are taking part.

It's unfortunate that someone made a mistake about Crown Princess Mary, but mistakes happen, and I'm sure that it could have been resolved so that she could attend.

Honestly I am more worried about Beatrice than James. I hope she can handle it, but she seems to be very sensitive.

Honestly I am more worried about Beatrice than James. I hope she can handle it, but she seems to be very sensitive.

I'm not worried about ANY of the grandchildren. I'm sure they all think it's a great gesture in honor of their grandmother, and will do their duty with grace.

What I understand (as reported by several RRs), the 8 grandchildren will do the vigil together, not in two group of 4; William will stand at the head, flanked by Zara Tindall and Peter Philips; while Harry at the foot flanked by Beatrice and Eugenie, with Louise and James at the middle of the coffin. So in this case James will have either Peter-Bea or Zara-Eugenie by his side if he needs support, so does Louise.

This seems like a sound decision to have the youngest cousins supported by their elder ones if needed.

James has appeared to be more relaxed at these public outings in recent months when he was present at the Jubilee and Commonwealth Games events.

I'm not worried about ANY of the grandchildren. I'm sure they all think it's a great gesture in honor of their grandmother, and will do their duty with grace.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the infantilization of some of the grandkids I've seen. Having lost close family members over the years, yeah. It sucks. It hurts, and sometimes you just want to lock yourself in a room and have a good cry, but you can't. All eight of them understand that while she was their grandmother, she was also The Queen, and for a moment, they'll have to compartmentalize their feelings. None of them are little kids anymore. The youngest of them would be old enough to get their learner's permit here in the US after their next birthday.

Obviously, if any of their parents thought one or more of them were not mentally or emotionally capable of doing it, they wouldn't be.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the infantilization of some of the grandkids I've seen. Having lost close family members over the years, yeah. It sucks. It hurts, and sometimes you just want to lock yourself in a room and have a good cry, but you can't. All eight of them understand that while she was their grandmother, she was also The Queen, and for a moment, they'll have to compartmentalize their feelings. None of them are little kids anymore. The youngest of them would be old enough to get their learner's permit here in the US after their next birthday.

Obviously, if any of their parents thought one or more of them were not mentally or emotionally capable of doing it, they wouldn't be.

No one is "infantilizing" anyone. Everyone is sure they'll do fine; it's half an hour and they're HM's grandchildren, after all. Some of us are just a little concerned about some of them who aren't used to being in the public eye or have no military or Olympic training, let alone doing something that would be draining and a bit nerve-inducing for anyone.

It's nice— and probably smart— they're all doing it together. Good idea.

I agree. They are probably well prepared by now for their public appearances. James being the youngest seems always a little shy and introvert, but also is not used to the public. I am sure if it was too much for him and he didn't want it his parents would not urge him to participate.
At 14 he surely knows that it is a honourable duty to perform.

Back
Top Bottom