Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s something we knew would happen but still never really thought would happen somehow.

I know. There was such an air of permanence about her that even though you knew that inevitably she would pass, somehow, you didn't believe it. Such a sad day.

My opinion is worth nothing, but though I believe the Queen's doctors knew this morning was the beginning of the end, I don't think they thought it would be quite so fast today. I do think the family members would have been on a plane this morning if that had been thought so.

I think they thought they had a day or two more. But I am happy the Queen had a peaceful end, somewhat quickly, in a place that she loved and had had so many happy memories. She gave so much to duty- she deserved such a peaceful transition. I know it can be harder for loved ones to not have more time, but I think it is a gift to those that pass.

My husband and I just poured gin and Dubonnets in memory of the Queen.

In memory of an extraordinary woman, and a Queen who will be forever remembered throughout history and in our hearts. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
A truly remarkable woman who unstintingly served her country. She was an example to us all. May she rest in peace.

When the Airplane of Princes William, Andrew and Edouard landed at the Airport of Aberdeen , was the HM the Queen still alive ?

We do not, and probably will not, know.

This said, it was a bit of an open secret throughout the day in the hours preceding the announcement that Her Majesty was no longer alive. It was widely understood moving into the afternoon that the delay in the announcement was for certain family members to arrive at Her Majesty's side.

I would venture to say that the airplane's landing and Her Majesty's passing were at a very similar time, and certainly do not think anyone arrived to be with her in time.

I note that in these news pieces recorded in advance for this most sad of days, Camilla is referred to as The Princess Consort.

I read that the PM was informed around 4.30 PM that the Queen had died. Andrew, Edward, Sophie and William seem to have arrived at Balmoral around 5 PM (the plane landed around 4 pm), so if that timeline is correct, they weren't on time. Not sure whether they would inform the PM immediately or that they would wait for their children to be informed. Hopefully, Charles, Camilla and Anne were on time - around 3.30 pm the BBC reported that Charles had arrived.

Last edited:
We may never know exact timings but I certainly don't thing they arrived in time - the PM was informed at 4.30pm according to her official spokesperson - the plane landed at Aberdeen at 3.50pm - it then takes about an hour to get to Balmoral meaning they likely arrived at 5pm roughly. I can't see the PM being the absolute first to know at the exact time HM passed away so we can maybe surmise HM passed before 4.30pm.

Thankfully Charles, Camilla and Anne were already there earlier - again we don't know exact timings but I think its fair to say they were likely with HM in her last few moments.

Her hachement in Canada:

photo

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...m.5352627908189142&idorvanity=702073783244601

Sad. Condolences to her kin and close ones. She looked really frail recently and I hope her passing was peaceful.

Devastating. Surreal. I couldn’t picture this . And now that’s it’s here. I wept. Kinda thought of her as a Granny.
I couldn’t believe it. When they referred to the King on TV during the announcement I asked “ who’s the King?”
Oh the reunions in heaven today with her Papa and Phillip.
I hope it’s OK to share a few favorite memories.

https://news.sky.com/story/harry-potter-actor-robert-hardy-dies-at-91-10972461
Scroll down.
Goodbye Your Majesty. God bless you. Thank you for your inspiration. God save the King!!

Last edited:
We may never know exact timings but I certainly don't thing they arrived in time - the PM was informed at 4.30pm according to her official spokesperson - the plane landed at Aberdeen at 3.50pm - it then takes about an hour to get to Balmoral meaning they likely arrived at 5pm roughly. I can't see the PM being the absolute first to know at the exact time HM passed away so we can maybe surmise HM passed before 4.30pm.

Thankfully Charles, Camilla and Anne were already there earlier - again we don't know exact timings but I think its fair to say they were likely with HM in her last few moments.

Agreed. Sadly, it looks like they didn’t make it in time. I saw footage of William driving. He was going quite fast.

Hopefully- Charles, Camilla and Anne made it in time. That seems highly likely.

It must be a terrible shock that she passed today. She was obviously getting frailer, but clearly no one anticipated this.

And Louise?

St Andrews is 2 hours away from Balmoral. I know she is technically an adult but I still don't think she'd have gone to arrive much earlier than her parents.

What we definitely don't know at the moment is when William, Andrew, the Wessex's were told of the Queen's passing - mid air, on arrival at Aberdeen, in the car, or on arrival at Balmoral itself.

I saw a sky news clip of Charles and Camilla leaving Dumfries by helicopter "just after half past 10" so, if that is true, they will certainly have made it to Balmoral by 11.30 at the latest.

Last edited:
That summer when she got really thin, she never bounced back, got COVID, and really she was 96 and just started going massively downhill.

Her hands I wouldn’t mind though, apparently from someone in medical profession, typical of person her age. You blow on them the bruise.

I am not a doctor, but I remember my grandmother, who died at the age of 99 and had similar bruises and weight loss for the last years of her life.

I have a feeling she might have had a stroke today. She felt ill last night which happened to my grandad before he had his stroke so visited her to rest, maybe something happened to her in the night/this morning

I also thought that she may have suffered a stroke. Even though she was obviously very frail, she did not show any labored breathing which is part of heart failure.

This was so sudden that it had to be something like a stroke or pulmonary embolism.

I know. There was such an air of permanence about her that even though you knew that inevitably she would pass, somehow, you didn't believe it. Such a sad day.

That air of permanence is irreplaceable, too. Not only had the Queen been around for all or most of everyone’s life, but she was as dependable as it’s possible to be. It’s remarkable how steady she was, given the global level of fame she had, the profound societal changes that occurred during her reign, and the, let’s say, big personalities and major dramas she had to deal with in every generation of the royal family barring the youngest.

She had what seemed to be an intuitive understanding of what a person in her position needed to be successful. She knew she didn’t have to be the smartest, most accomplished or best dressed person in the room. She had to show up and consistently be ready to engage with others in a positive way, and then keep showing up day after day, no matter what else was going on or where she’d rather be.

The photos of the rainbows over Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle just about brought tears to my eyes. I'm in the US. When Covid swept through in 2020, our leadership was woefully lacking in saying anything that would uplift us and help us get through it. With friends ill and in the hospital, and unable to have family with them, Her Majesty's "we'll meet again" speech meant a lot to me. She will be missed.

Th Times has an interesting article that gives some details about recent visits by guests to Balmoral all of whom say the Queen was on "top form"

The Rt Rev Dr Iain Greenshields, 68, stayed with the Queen at Balmoral after being invited to perform a sermon at Braemar and Crathie Parish Church, the church where Her Majesty worshipped while at the castle in Scotland.
Greenshields, a Kirk minister and moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, had dinner on Saturday evening and lunch on Sunday afternoon with the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal. He told The Times: “It was a fantastic visit. Her memory was absolutely amazing and she was really full of fun.
“It came as a great shock to me when I heard she was gravely ill because she was in amazingly good form over the weekend.
“She was the life and soul of things. She was speaking very personally to me about her time there way back when she was a child, she was talking about her horses from the past, naming them from 40 years ago, people’s names and places. She was quite remarkable.
“For someone of her age, to have the memory she had, and genuinely laughing and very much enjoying having her family and the whole occasion. She was great company. She couldn’t come to the sermon because of her mobility, so Charles came instead.

The previous weekend, the Very Rev Dr Martin Fair, 58, who has been minister at Arbroath St Andrews for 30 years, stayed as her guest at Balmoral.
He said: “I found her to be bright and in very good spirits, so I was sad to hear the announcement about her deterioration. We were in her sitting room and in the dining room as part of a family gathering — it was a privilege to be part of it.
“She was absolutely switched on about everything, current affairs and historical memories. She was on very good form.

On Tuesday as well as meeting with the outgoing and incoming PM she also invested her communications secretary with the insignia of a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order.

It sounds very much to me that whatever happened was quick and sudden.

Death of Queen

I’m so very sorry to hear of the passing of Queen Elizabeth. I heard it this afternoon about her passing (I live in the USA), but it’s just now starting to sink in. She’s been the queen almost my whole life; therefore, I’m so use to seeing pictures, videos, etc of her that I realize her death is also affecting me. I’m very sad about her passing.

Last edited:
Since I was born in 1961, I never knew Great Britain to have any monarch except Queen Elizabeth. Now she's gone, and I must adjust to the reality that Great Britain has a new monarch now. Since I'm an American, she wasn't my monarch, but she was the one I grew up knowing about. RIP, Queen Elizabeth II.

Since I was born in 1961, I never knew Great Britain to have any monarch except Queen Elizabeth. Now she's gone, and I must adjust to the reality that Great Britain has a new monarch now. Since I'm an American, she wasn't my monarch, but she was the one I grew up knowing about. RIP, Queen Elizabeth II.

The Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, reacts to Queen Elizabeth II's death.

I was so saddened to hear this today. I am glad she lived so long and was such a good example of duty to the world, but she will definitely leave an irreplaceable void. My condolences to her family and the British people. She was a woman of great dignity who will never be forgotten.

Last edited:
I also thought that she may have suffered a stroke. Even though she was obviously very frail, she did not show any labored breathing which is part of heart failure.

This was so sudden that it had to be something like a stroke or pulmonary embolism.

We only saw pictures of her last Tuesday (I must say that I do like the fact that her last official pictures were taken when she installed her 15th prime minister), the last video footage (in which her breathing could have been observed) is a bit older. However, apparently, those that met with her over the last two weekends confirm that she was 'in excellent form' - so, her mind was clearly still very sharp. Something must have pushed her body over the edge in the last few days.

Last edited:
I read that the PM was informed around 4.30 PM that the Queen had died. Andrew, Edward, Sophie and William seem to have arrived at Balmoral around 5 PM (the plane landed around 4 pm), so if that timeline is correct, they weren't on time. Not sure whether they would inform the PM immediately or that they would wait for their children to be informed. Hopefully, Charles, Camilla and Anne were on time - around 3.30 pm the BBC reported that Charles had arrived.

It’s being reported that only Charles and Anne made it to Her Majesty’s bedside before her passing Somebody.

(They we’re both already in Scotland.)

They other family members didn’t get there in time, as the Queen’s doctors could only give a few hours notice that her death was imminent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ckingham-Palace-death-Queen-Elizabeth-II.html

The photos of the rainbows over Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle just about brought tears to my eyes. I'm in the US. When Covid swept through in 2020, our leadership was woefully lacking in saying anything that would uplift us and help us get through it. With friends ill and in the hospital, and unable to have family with them, Her Majesty's "we'll meet again" speech meant a lot to me. She will be missed.

Lovely sentiments APIndy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been a time since James I/VI when the monarch didn't die in England?

We only saw pictures of her last Tuesday (I must say that I do like the fact that her last official pictures were taken when she installed her 15th prime minister), the last video footage (in which her breathing could have been observed) is a bit older. However, apparently, those that met with her over the last two weekends confirm that she was 'in excellent form' - so, her mind was clearly still very sharp. Something must have pushed her body over the edge in the last few days.

I wonder if, having had Covid, she was at greater risk of blood clots which might have been the cause of her sudden death.

She has been the Queen of Australia all my 68 years. With her famous dedication and service, I am very proud to have had her as 'my' monarch. A sad day. I am also hopeful about the reign of her son, Charles.
There are many republicans here in Australia, but I really like the sense of a shared head of state with so many other great countries. I also appreciate the division between the monarch as our symbolic 'centre' and the politicians as our pragmatic leaders.

Back
Top Bottom