Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Queen Silvia will be there, as a personal friend? She cancelled her trip to the winter olympics, for no other reason than "change of plans". There are no other official engagements listed for her that explains why she didn't go with the king to South Corea. She is close to QM, and it's not far fetched to think that she would have offered support to her when PH was diagnosed with dementia - an issue with is close to Q Silvias hear.

Last edited:
Some of the Berleburgs were also present this forenoon: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prinsesse-alexandra-og-boernene-besoeger-prins-henrik

As for guests: Senior members of the court will also be there, and it's fairly safe to say the French ambassador will also be there.

--------------

When the mills tomorrow will put their wings in mourning-position, it will look like this: https://www.tvsyd.dk/files/styles/1.../08/dybboel_kors_3_i_kors_0.jpg?itok=JgKJC91w
Resembling a cross.
Modern windmills have only three wings and they will IMO to an even higher degree resemble a cross.

Last edited:
Princess Benedikte knows what Queen Margrethe is already feeling now, because she lost her own husband nearly exactly a year ago.

I wonder if Étienne and Cathérine also only could see the closed coffin? I know it is a luguber question but how can someone say farewell to the own brother in front of a closed coffin?

Would they not have said farewell to him at Fredensborg Palace, after he passed away? Before the closed coffin.

Would they not have said farewell to him at Fredensborg Palace, after he passed away? Before the closed coffin.

I am not sure if Étienne and Jean-Baptiste have seen their brother in his last days.
Soeur Cathérine did, I believe.

When the invited guests went to the Velvet Chamber after the ceremony in the church, Frederik and Joachim waited for them. Shook hands with all the guests and thanked them.

The funeral ceremony tomorrow will be televised.

- I won't be able to do a running commentary, I have a work-meeting to attend.
But I may comment up to the start of the ceremony.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw to day in live from 1.00 until 2:20 the guest entering the Room of the Royal Coffin. 3 to 5 people did not stop speaking the whole time. What did they say ????

I am not sure if Étienne and Jean-Baptiste have seen their brother in his last days.
Soeur Cathérine did, I believe.

Brother Étienne was, according to himself, on his way to Denmark on Sunday the 11th and I think I read somewhere, that the other brother would travel the next day.

I just sat down to enjoy a late lunch of smørrebrød & a beer (going all in Danish today) after visiting the Castrum Doloris. I waited in line from 12:00 until 14.30 when the gates quite surprisingly were opened 30 min earlier than it had been announced. The line stretched for as long as my eyes could see but everyone seemed to be in a good mood. Once the gates opened I was inside in less than 10 minutes. The room was lit with candelabras, the organ played & a man sang a Danish hymn Im familiar with but cant remember the name off.
As I walked around the Castrum I noticed that in addition to the wreaths from the Queen and their two sons with families there were others from "Anne-Marie & Tino", one from their kids with "Alexia & Carlos" coming first, one from "Benedikte" and one from "Hoffets damer og herrer" which means "The ladies & gentlemen of the Court".
The way the light glittered in the orders on the Castrum was magical.

Last edited:
The young gentleman could be a younger Prince Joachim: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/res...-dd---castrum-doloris-for-srligt-indbudte.jpg

Étienne really looks like Henri. Wow. I wonder if Étienne and Cathérine also only could see the closed coffin? I know it is a luguber question but how can someone say farewell to the own brother in front of a closed coffin?
I don´t think the coffin has been opened since it was closed. The smell of death would hang in the air for quite a long time. Remember the coffin is not being cooled down at any point.

The royal house has announced that the many flowers at Amalienborg and Fredensborg Castle are moved to monuments that honor fallen soldiers.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/det-sker-der-med-danskernes-blomster-til-prins-henrik
a nice touch

Frederik and Joachim greeting guests today
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9296997dee4ace7de3774838f3d3de5d&oe=5B1D76F3

His pets also made a special appearance
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c35182c5619322725ab4672927312520&oe=5B0F9A0E

Castrum Doloris today

I loved that picture too. It shows two people that are just happy being with each other. Over the past couple of days I've seen a lot of pictures that reflected this. There obviously was a very strong and loving bond between Margrethe and Henrik and one that nothing was going to break no matter how interesting Henrik made things at times. :D

One thing that has probably had a lot of comfort for the Queen is that there was a huge outpouring of caring and genuine affection from not only her close family but from all of the Danish people and being with them, such as the visit to the church, gave her such a strong support system as they all prayed together.

I'm sure Henrik's passing will leave a huge hole in Margrethe's life but with her family and friends and the Danish people surrounding her, I'm sure that she's going to have her times of grief and loneliness missing her beloved but she knows she'll never be alone and she knows that she is well loved.

Very true -- I was widowed suddenly in 2016 at age 49 and all of these things are the case. Right after the death of your beloved, you are on auto-pilot - I see that as the Lord giving you the strength to function.

Once mourning is over and life has gone on for everyone else, the support will be even more critical. Even though the Queen Margrethe has been doing engagements alone, everything has been changed and support will be a blessing in the days, weeks, months etc, to come. Unfortunately, I know from personal experience how important that is.:flowers:

I have just logged on the internet and I am so sorry to hear that prince Henric has passed
away

That sounds exactly like something Henrik would say given his flair for dressing. Lighthearted remark to make his friends feel right at home and feel his presence. :D

I was also so touched to see that Henrik's dogs weren't forgotten as being part of those that will sorely miss him. Sometimes I think animals feel the loss on a deeper level than humans do. My grandmother died in a nursing home miles away but her companion, Bingo, knew what had happened. He went into a corner that day and refused to come out.

PH had a message to the gentlemen among his friends who were gathered at Christiansborg Palace Church today read out loud.

It reads: "My, you all look like undertakers"!

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/video-prins-henriks-overraskende-hilsen-til-vennerne
Trine Larsen here talks about what happened.

Yes, wonderful spirit!

Nice little touching gestures all around (the dogs, the car...) showing what a loving family this is. :sad: It's all very moving.

Very beautiful picture of QM from the other day:

https://bdk.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/resolve/image_1920x1080-noCrop/image/92/925659/20072710-.jpg

A few trivia:

19.356 ordinary Danes (and at least one Swede, JR76;) ) have walked past PH's casket for the past three days.

PH has been planning the details in connection with his funeral for the past ten years, his friends were told during the ceremony.
The included selecting the purple cloth covering the katafalk (Catafalque, thanks TLLK) on which his casket stands.
Selecting music, especially the Copenhagen Boys Choir, who were singing at this ceremony.
And no doubt also that his dachshunds were to be present at the "gravøl" (see earlier post) after the ceremony.

- It is not clear whether he already ten years ago decided to be buried this way. That would IMO be odd, since ten years ago QMII and his sarcophagus was planned and being designed.

The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment honored PH by flying their flags at half mast in three out of four locations in Britain this regiment is stationed. As some of you may know QMII and her father, Frederik IX before her, is an honorary colonel of that regiment. - Or more correctly the regiment nicknamed The Buffs, who have been amalgamated into this regiment.

Last edited:
The included selecting the purple cloth covering the katafalk (Don't know the name in English) on which his castes stands.

Catafalque is the English word so the Danish one is phonetically very similar.
Once again thank you Muhler for all of your work on covering the last weeks regarding Prince Henrik's passing. :flowers:

I just sat down to enjoy a late lunch of smørrebrød & a beer (going all in Danish today) after visiting the Castrum Doloris. I waited in line from 12:00 until 14.30 when the gates quite surprisingly were opened 30 min earlier than it had been announced. The line stretched for as long as my eyes could see but everyone seemed to be in a good mood. Once the gates opened I was inside in less than 10 minutes. The room was lit with candelabras, the organ played & a man sang a Danish hymn Im familiar with but cant remember the name off.
As I walked around the Castrum I noticed that in addition to the wreaths from the Queen and their two sons with families there were others from "Anne-Marie & Tino", one from their kids with "Alexia & Carlos" coming first, one from "Benedikte" and one from "Hoffets damer og herrer" which means "The ladies & gentlemen of the Court".
The way the light glittered in the orders on the Castrum was magical.

Sounds very impressive...I wish I was there. Thank you JR76!

A few trivia:

19.356 ordinary Danes (and at least one Swede, JR76;) ) have walked past PH's casket for the past three days.

[...]

A profound number, is it not? Prince Henrik obviously held the respect and sympathies of numerous Danes.

PH had a message to the gentlemen among his friends who were gathered at Christiansborg Palace Church today read out loud.

[...]
Yes, wonderful spirit!

Nice little touching gestures all around (the dogs, the car...) showing what a loving family this is. :sad: It's all very moving.

I agree wholeheartedly.

A few trivia:

And one Pole from Ålborg! Suddenly a gang of Chinese tourists walked by and seemed very fascinated by it all.
Subtracting the 14.000 Ive read had visited the church before today means that 5000 people came during the 4.5 hours it was open today.

What time is the funeral in the morning?

Thanks everyone for the photos and commentary for me to catch up on when I got home :flowers:

Was touched to see even his dogs were included. I am sure the fur babies are feeling the loss as well. :sad:

Today is the funeral ceremony and here is the schedule: Sådan forløber prins Henriks bisættelse - TV 2

Some 100 historical mills nationwide will lock the wings in mourning position, from 06.00 until noon.

At 10.00 there will be a remembrance ceremony in the Parliament.

All church bells across the country(at least from state churches) will toll from 10.30.
That is also about the time the guests will arrive.

10.45. The DRF will arrive.

11.00. The ceremony starts. - The church bells will go silent.

Inside the church the DRF will sit on one side and the guests to the other side. - I imagine the cameras will mainly rest of the DRF.

It will be Royal Confessionarius Erik Norman Svendsen, who will conduct the ceremony. - He has since 2008 become close to the family.

The ceremony will end at 11.45.

At that time the church bells will once again toll all over the country for half an hour.
And an 81 shot salute will be fired from Kronborg as well as Battery Sixtus in Copenhagen Harbour.
The same ten officers from the Royal Lifeguard Regiment who carried the casket into the church will now carry it out and place it in the hearse.
The hearse will drive away, followed by two cars.

12.00 The DRF will leave the church.

Flags nationwide will go to the top. - (That would happen regardless, because Dannebrog must never be lowered from half mast. However funerals tend to take place at forenoon, and by noon the Dannebrog in front of the church will go to the top. Just as is the case today. - Just nationwide).

Here is the live link to DR1: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1

Last edited:
Various trivia and comments prior to the ceremony will be posted here in this post.
When the ceremony begins I will bow out.

The only Dannebrog from official buildings and places that will not fly at half mast today is the Flag of the Realm, that is located next to Battery Sixtus in Copenhagen harbor.
This flag will only fly on half mast when the Monarch is dead and on Good Friday, because Denmark is constitutionally a Christian country.

--------------

Historical mills all over DK are in mourning position, where the wing are locked in a position that resembles a cross. http://nyheder.tv2.dk/lokalt/2018-02-20-moeller-gaar-i-soergestilling-til-aere-for-prins-henrik
The mills will be in mourning position from 06.00 this morning until noon.
It is expected that some 100 historical mills will honor PH this way.

It is not known how many, if any, modern mills will be in mourning position.

-----------

A little anecdote was just told.
It was the summer of 2004, when M&F had got married and were touring DK aboard Dannebrog. Not far from Sønderborg harbor where Dannebrog was moored, PH was at another arbor where two men from Aarhus Sailing Club were returning on their boat. PH hailed them and complimented them on their boat and then asked if they could go sailing a little. Sure.
They sailed and after a while PH said: "Let's go by my son". So they sailed into the very small Sønderborg harbor that was crowded. People soon noticed PH who was waved at and cheered. The boat sailed up to the stern of Dannebrog and hailed the ship and asked for four beers to lowered down. People loved it!

-----------------------

In a few minutes there will be a remembrance ceremony in the Parliament. Here the Chairman of the Parliament will say a few words. The Parliament will observe a moment of silence after which the PM will read aloud a thank you from the Queen.

---------------------

The Chairman is giving a speech honoring PH. Her voice has cracked several times.

Even the extreme left wing Unity List and a declared (and IMO pretty arrogant republican) will honor PH by being present and standing up. - Something they usually don't in connection with the DRF.

---------------

An honorary company from all three branches of the military is ling up, to the beat of a drum. No fifers are heard, because this at a funeral.
The band will play a funeral march after the ceremony.

------------

The French ambassador has arrived and as such France is officially represented at this funeral ceremony.

---------------------

When looking at the guests, notice the elderly gentleman in the back row to the extreme right. He used to be Frederik IX's valet. When Ph got married to then princess Margrethe the King transferred his valet to PH, in order for him to teach PH the ropes and teach him about the countless trivial things you need to learn when you settle in a new country. Her served PH for many years, before retiring and he is invited to this ceremony.

--------------

The church bells are tolling also at our local village church here where we live.

---------------------

I noticed the Chairman of the Parliament curtsying deeply in front of the coffin. Impressive since she is 70, 71 I think. The PM didn't, as the oaf he is...

----------------

All four of PH's remaining siblings are here.

------------

The businessman Fritz Schur who sits next to Countess Alexandra, handles the personal economy and investments of the Regent Couple. He sits here as representative for all consuls in Denmark.

---------------

King Konstantin is very frail!

-------------------

PH rarely spoke about his time in the Algerian War. When he did it was usually through poems.
A number of those he served with must have been killed - some of them tortured to death. It was a very cruel war.

------------------

As this is a funeral, the Colour March is not played when QMII arrived.

-------------

Good to see Joachim's oldest looking after their younger. Felix looks after his little admirer, Henrik. And Nikolai looks after Athena.

-------------

That's it from me.

Last edited:

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/video-prins-henriks-overraskende-hilsen-til-vennerne
Trine Larsen here talks about what happened.

I LOVE this! Henrik must have been such an interesting man to know, and seemed so multifaceted, (in ways both good and not so good). A gesture like this shows him at his very best, IMO.

A little anecdote was just told.
It was the summer of 2004, when M&F had got married and were touring DK aboard Dannebrog. Not far from Sønderborg harbor where Dannebrog was moored, PH was at another arbor where two men from Aarhus Sailing Club were returning on their boat. PH hailed them and complimented them on their boat and then asked if they could go sailing a little. Sure.
They sailed and after a while PH said: "Let's go by my son". So they sailed into the very small Sønderborg harbor that was crowded. People soon noticed PH who was waved at and cheered. The boat sailed up to the stern of Dannebrog and hailed the ship and asked for four beers to lowered down. People loved it!

-----------------------

I remember this! Here is the photo

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...ss-mary-of-denmark-visit-news-photo/157799184

Back
Top Bottom