Death and Funeral of Pope Benedict XVI

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Grand Duke of Luxembourg , the Prince of Liechtenstein should be there.
Much Presidents of foreign Countries did attend .

Surprised to see no royal representative from Monaco or Luxembourg there… They always make a big thing of their roman catholic faith so one would have expected that they would have sent at least one to the funeral of a former pope…

Liechtenstein was represented by their ambassador Prince Stefan who is himself (albeit a junior) member of the princely family.

I'd have been surprised not to see Queen Sofia there.

But she was there,standing next to King Filip and Queen Mathilde of Belgium.

The others mentioned above probably were not invited as according to the wish
of Benedict XVI he wished a simple funeral,as far as anything in the Vatican
can be simple considering the venue and its splendour.

Last edited:
Please correct me , the Prince of Wales postponed his Wedding on 9 april 2005 because he has to attend Pope Jean Paul II funerals in Rome on April 8th ?

The other way around. They was supposed to marry on April 8, but they postponed it until April 9, as Charles felt he should be the one attending the State Funeral of JPII.

Though other key-guests did too like Tony Blair and the Archbishop of Canterbury so there was never really any question of going ahead with the wedding on April 8.

Last edited:

Kind Sir ,I think you misread me as I had stated that I would be surprised if Queen Sofia had not been there :flowers:

Kind Sir ,I think you misread me as I had stated that I would be surprised if Queen Sofia had not been there :flowers:
...you are so totally right...my sincerest.....!!

Oh....I see there is one more to attend to below my post

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have been surprised not to see Queen Sofia there.

But i saw photos of her inside St. Peter's Basilica yesterday, viewing the body of the late pontiff. Did she leave?

As far as the UK goes...why not send their ambassador to the Holy See, instead of the education minister?:ermm:

As far as the UK goes...why not send their ambassador to the Holy See, instead of the education minister?:ermm:

Both the Secretary of State for Education Gillian Keegan and the Ambassador to the Holy See Chris Trott attended according to their twitter pages.

But i saw photos of her inside St. Peter's Basilica yesterday, viewing the body of the late pontiff. Did she leave?

Queen was there for the Lying in State last night and for the Funeral this morning.

Just to clarify that my post stated that I'd have been surprised not to have seen her there ;)

Queen Sofia being a Royal stalwart that rarely misses these events

This thread concerns Funerals of Pope Bededikt XVI !
Pope François has such kneels problems that he could not celebrate the Funerals but he read the Homelie . At the end before the enterring of the Coffin He paid with emotion repect !
Now we have one Pope !

The others mentioned above probably were not invited as according to the wish
of Benedict XVI he wished a simple funeral,as far as anything in the Vatican
can be simple considering the venue and its splendour.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia should have been there next to Queen Sofia. After all , the Hispanic monarchy is "The Catholic monarchy", which has historically defended the Catholic church against the Muslims and the Protestants. But Letizia is not religious herself (in fact, she is probably an atheist) and Felipe, if he is religious at all, seems to keep it private.

I am also greatly surprised by Henri's absence as the Grand Duke has always made a big fuss of how close his family is to the Vatican.

Even if they were not officially invited, they could have attended in a private capacity as Philippe and Mathilde did.

Anyway, Pope Benedict XVI would have been pleased that his wishes for a low-key funeral were fulfilled.

Last edited:
I'm incredibly surprised that Luxembourg and Monaco didn't send anyone, even if it was Caroline and one of the Grand Dukes children.

I'm incredibly surprised that Luxembourg and Monaco didn't send anyone, even if it was Caroline and one of the Grand Dukes children.

Same. I understand the bad timing for anyone’s holidays, but Benedict was still a Pope in the end. And the excuse “he wanted a simple funeral” doesn’t mean that Monarchs were required to stay at home. I’m happy to see Philippe and Mathilde, they are growing on me for their simplicity and polite regality.

The Prince and Princess of Monaco and the Princess of Hanover were all present yesterday for the Funeral Mass of the late Archbishop of Monaco yesterday so there was no excuse today and also seeing as Roman Catholicism is the State Religion of the Principality of Monaco.

Rome is not that far from Monaco and Prince Albert II is no stranger to his private jet!

Perhaps that is was a low key affair at the express wishes of the late Pope they all decided not to attend and send an Ambassador?

In the live stream, you can clearly see the Princess of Venice and Piedmont and the Princess of Carignano going to greet and courtsey to Queen Sofia, Queen Mathilde and King Philippe, at the end of the Mass.

In the live stream, you can clearly see the Princess of Venice and Piedmont and the Princess of Carignano going to greet and courtsey to Queen Sofia, Queen Mathilde and King Philippe, at the end of the Mass.

Are you talking about Clotilde? Is she a Principessa di Carignano as well?

No, the Princess of Carignano is Clotilde’s daughter, Vittoria. They were both present representing the House of Savoy.

Very nice of them to step in the front to greet Their Majesties.

The Principessa di Carignano is her daughter, even though none of these titles is recognized by the Italian Republic, or by the French Republic where they live.

The Holy See, however, acknowledges the privileges and precedence of the Princesses of the House of Savoy.

Today, Queen Sofía attended, in Saint Peter's Square, the Funeral Ceremony for Pope Benedict XVI.

Video as Courtsey

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnB77rVhASI/

and up right in the picture. The best we have so far:)

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/12...=sqXnM6r_DhfjdFSXfS5z3gHxnieZfG4Q0UP-pTgApJw=
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Flt6El3XoAArsq-?format=jpg&name=medium

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any photos of Sophie Windisch-Graetz?

I'd be surprised if Princess Gloria of Thurn und Taxis wasn't there. She and the late Pope were close friends for years, even before he ascended to the papacy.

President of Lithuania

The following also attended either the Lying in State or the Funeral

T.M. The King and Queen of Belgium
H.M. Queen Sofía of Spain
HSH Prince Stefan of Liechtenstein, Ambassador to the Holy See
President of Poland
President of Italy
President of Germany and German 1st Lady
President of Slovenia
President of Hungary
President of Portugal
The former President of Austria
Prime Minister of Poland
Prime Minister of the Czech Republic
Prime Minister of Slovakia
The United States Ambassador to the Holy See
The Irish Ambassador to the Holy See
The Spanish Ambassador to the Holy See
The Archbishop of Barcelona
The Archbishop of Madrid
The Archbishop of Vienna
The Archbishop of Salzburg
The Archbishop of Cologne
The Archbishop of Prague
The Primate of Ireland, Archbishop of Armagh
The Archbishop of Dublin
The Archbishop of Munich and Freising
The Bishop of Regensburg
The Bishop of Passau
The Bishop of Limburg
The Bishop of Urgel

A relatively small number of European countries were represented by members of their royal families at the funeral of Pope Benedict XVI. I was particularly surprised that there was no one from the Grimaldi family of Monaco .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11601855/Euro-royals-turn-honour-Pope-Benedict.html

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...6294/royals-pope-benedict-xvi-funeral-photos/

At Wednesday January 4th the Prince of Monaco, Princess Charlène and the Princess of Hannover did attend the Funeral of the late Mgr Bernard Barsi, former Archbishop of Monaco, whom died December 28th 2022. During this Mass of Requiem also prayers were read for the repose of the soul of the late Pope Benedictus XVI.

Back
Top Bottom