Catherine Middleton's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You look amazing Duchess. The future Duke of Durham is a very lucky man!

Good on you also for not going for the strapless gown. It's become so ubiquitous nowadays that it's almost a cliche in my opinion!

Thank you for all the congratulations!

The future Duke of Durham, who does not even look at TRF, and I have been together for almost 7 years. I am so excited to marry him.

Here is the dress, and veil, I did get. The veil will be worn a little further back on my head, and my hair will be pulled back.

I was hoping you would go for shorter sleeves and you DID! That is a lovely ensemble...wish I could see more of the veil. I love the skirt, is that overlay separate or just looks that way? You look just loverly!

Thank you all for the compliments. I had narrowed my choice down to three dresses and when my mother cried over this one, I knew it was the one.

Kitty, the lace overlay is part of the dress and it is so soft. I love soft lace. I can't remember if the lace is attached to the fabric in the train or not. I recall the seamstress breaking thread that connected the two, but I can't remember if it that meant they will be separated on my wedding day, or if she was trying to show which type of bustle can be created as the train is not detachable.

The dress is actually a halter dress. No self-respecting 44 year old with chunky upper arms should wear a sleeveless dress, thus I am wearing, and will wear, a lace caplet, as shown in the picture. The caplet will be snapped onto the dress so I can take it off at the party if I want to. The caplets came in the day before I tried on dresses, guess that was really meant to be. Bonus too was that I bought the dress off the rack. There does need to be some alterations, which no doubt is to be expected.

You look so happy! Congratulations and best wishes:heart1:

Apparently Sarah Burton lied straight to US Vogue editor Anna Wintour's face when she asked her if she was designing Kate's wedding dress - brave woman! Burton also made the Alexander McQueen Autumn 2011 collection predominantly white as an excuse to order white fabric and fool her designers; when they thought they were simply working on the autumn collection they were actually working on Kate's wedding dress.

Royal wedding dress designer Sarah Burton's strategic secrets - Telegraph

Well, brava to Sarah Burton for not spilling the beans to the formidable Ms. Wintour. Guess she weighed her options and realized the cost of revealing wedding secrets to a fashion editor, of all people!

All the same, I'm sure she very quickly got in touch with Ms Winter's office on the afternoon of the 29th April to ask for forgiveness!

Most likely, and I'm sure Anna totally understood and forgave her!;)

If I was Anna I would understand, but why would Anna ask when she knows the designer has to be kept a secret?
On another note, I am getting sick of people comparing Kate's dress to Grace's! They both have lace at the too; the end. Her dress is more of a mid-way rip off of Isabel Orsini's dress.

I like that Caroline's skirt is fuller, but that is the end of the positives. After 1 yr I have yet to see a good replica of this dress that wasn't on a doll. Caroline's dress looks liked it was rushed and made with paper. The plunging neckline also doesn't appear as demure as Kate's.

Why would any woman want to wear a copy of another womans wedding dress, especially one that is so well known?

Reminds me of when I was little and went with my mother to the wedding of a cousin. The bride wore a copy of Dianas dress right down to the huge train. Unfortunately she didnt take into account that Diana married in St Pauls Cathedral and she was marrying in a small village church. The bride made it to the altar when the train was just getting inside the church doors. The poor little page boys and flower girls had to step over the train, and getting the bride out of the church took a great deal of work. My mother almost had a fit of giggles and when it was over and we got in the car she pretty much collapsed in tears of laughter.

Well Kate's train obviously wouldn't be a problem for a non-royal bride. And some of these royal wedding dresses look like copies of each others or something else that was seen previously.
Diana's dress can be found in the first part of Gone With The Wind
Many have seen similarities between Sarah Chatto's wedding dress and Mette-Marit's.
I believe Princess Margaret's daughter-in-law married in a gown replicated after her own.
Kate's dress was a revised version of Isabella Orsini's
Charlene's dress looked similar to Princess Victoria's
And then there are the numerous strapless gowns that people on this board complain about.

Here's more pics of Caroline Trentini's wedding dress, which some thought looked like Kate's.

the Fashion Spot - View Single Post - Caroline Trentini Engaged to Photographer Fabio Bartelt *Update, Now Married*

Designed by Olivier Theyskens. She's so beautiful, even though I don't particulary care for her dress. The fabric of the train is too wrinkled.

Thanks for posting those pics, Merel. I for one think that Caroline Trentini's gown has a lighter feel to it. There was a sort of harshness in Kate's dress that still bothers me, the bodice was too stiff (it looked like an orthopedic cast), the lace motif a tad overthought, the skirt had accents of victorian strictness, even those pleats looked too severe. Instead, there was a softness in Caroline's dress that is very appealing. Loved the lace, especially at the back of the bodice, loved the not-so-strict train.

Last edited:
I am so impressed with the lace on Catherine's wedding dress. It is so beautiful.

I am so impressed with the lace on Catherine's wedding dress. It is so beautiful.

Agogo, the lace on Kate's wedding dress was of very good quality and was stiched on tulle by top-notch seamstresses, there's is no doubt, we can really see the quality of the handcraft. What I meant to say is that the overall pattern that Sarah Burton created, the end result of cutting the original lace from different patterns and stiching them together to create something new was not the best visually, in my opinion.

Yes the lace on Kate's dress was indeed beautiful and when you see it up close it is even more beautiful. That is one of the things that Caroline's dress is missing the lace details and details in general.

Now it seems that Kate's wedding dress causes controversy. You be the judge. :whistling:

Kate Middleton Wedding Dress Causes Wikipedia Controversy (POLL)

I'm sure there are things on that website that are more irrelevant that Catherine's wedding dress. I've never fully explored Wikipedia, but I've been warned not to use it as a source for term papers and any other works that may have academic relevance. During student teaching, I advised my students to stay away from it if they're looking for more reliable information. I think it's good for a general overview of a topic, but not for any in-depth research. From what I understand, almost everything under the sun is on there, so why not allow an overview of Catherine's wedding dress? The things people choose to fight over sometimes...

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #5. The Duchess of Cambridge

Because this dress resembles so much like Princess Grace's dress (and many others), this is not one of my favorites. However, it's not a horrible dress. I love that she choose a classic and timeless dress. There are some parts of it that I like. The details of it are very beautiful. Love the Victorian structure of the waist and the back of the dress. The back of the dress really is beautiful. The veil is also very beautiful and I like the train. Some of the things that I don't like are her hairstyle and the tiara. But, she is the wife of an heir to an heir so it's understandable that she wore a small and modest tiara. All in all, the dress is nice, but I wish she wore a more original dress.

Last edited:
I don't understand why women critique another's wedding dress. Hopefully Catherine and William loved it and thats all that matters. Grace's wasn't an original either , whatever that means.

I never understood the it wasn't an original or that was so original statement. When nothing in fashion is original or unique

I don't understand why women critique another's wedding dress. Hopefully Catherine and William loved it and thats all that matters. Grace's wasn't an original either , whatever that means.

Actually any critique of another's fashion or style by a person is just a reflection of their own style and taste and what does and doesn't appeal to them. Frankly I thought that Kate's dress was simply perfect for her.

That was the whole idea. The Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress pretty much reflected her own style and taste.

My mother's wedding dress from 1960 was very similar as well. I always thought mom's dress was beautiful and was very disappointed that I was far too tall to wear it.

Back
Top Bottom