80th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V and Queen Sonja

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Spanish Royal House publishes its schdule on Fridays so we shall see tomorrow, but we can rule King Felipe out, since he has an event on 9th in Extremadura and another one in Valencia on 10th.

I'm guessing they will send King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia as they did last year for King CG's Birthday, and I hope this time they'll stay for the gala dinner :rolleyes:

:previous: Meh, the usual mess by the SRF :whistling:

I really think JC and Sofia avoid the big gala events with tiaras and such in order to avoid them taking away the limelight from F&L. Somehow I'm under the impression that kind of events will be considered by the RH only for the current King and Queen's attendance, and if they are not avaiable, JC&S attend the less grand celebrations. It can also be King Juan Carlos legendary dislike for royal gatherings, but in that case Queen Sofia could go alone as she has done for years before :cool:

Of course, Queen Letizia has no events on 9th and 10th, but God forbids the press stop consider her unable to behave on royal meetings if her husband is not there to guide her :whistling::whistling::whistling:

:previous: Meh, the usual mess by the SRF :whistling:

I really think JC and Sofia avoid the big gala events with tiaras and such in order to avoid them taking away the limelight from F&L. Somehow I'm under the impression that kind of events will be considered by the RH only for the current King and Queen's attendance, and if they are not avaiable, JC&S attend the less grand celebrations. It can also be King Juan Carlos legendary dislike for royal gatherings, but in that case Queen Sofia could go alone as she has done for years before :cool:

Of course, Queen Letizia has no events on 9th and 10th, but God forbids the press stop consider her unable to behave on royal meetings if her husband is not there to guide her :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I suspect Letizia is not very fond of the big tiara gala dinners either. She's had a lot of those lately, but they were all state dinners which she had to attend as part of her job. Birthday galas are different though and she is most definitely not required to attend an unofficial, social gathering.

Having said that, Felipe and Letizia did attend Queen Margrethe II's birthday celebrations, probably because they are closer to the Danes via their common relation to the Greeks.

Quite frankly, I am impressed with the number of royals in attendance in Norway, including crown princes and junior princes in addition to monarchs.

I do think there is a personal motivation for JC to attend this celebration, otherwise Sofia would go alone, and she has no problem outshining other royals.

F&L never seemed fond of royal gatherings, has Felipe ever attended one of the christenings of his foreign godchildren? Would have been a good opportunity to see his goddaughter IA :whistling::whistling:

I've been so busy with work both yesterday and today, and all my spare time has gone to family time and Prince Philip. So, therefore, I have not followed Norwegian news, but the Queen and Crown Prince have given interviews to NRK, which will be sent on a later date. And the King has given an interview to Aftenposten.

F&L never seemed fond of royal gatherings, has Felipe ever attended one of the christenings of his foreign godchildren? Would have been a good opportunity to see his goddaughter IA :whistling::whistling:

Of course, he's attended the christenings of Sofia of Bulgaria, Isabelle d’Orléans, Constantine-Alexios of Greece and Ernst August of Hanover. He was unable to attend Vincent of Denmark's christening because he was on an official trip to Israel, Palestine and Jordan, obviously a very delicate visit that was arranged months before and couldn't be rescheduled just like that.

It can also be King Juan Carlos legendary dislike for royal gatherings, but in that case Queen Sofia could go alone as she has done for years before :cool:

Queen Sofia doesn't attend events for a Head of State without King Juan Carlos. I can only remember the Jubilee of the late King of Thailand, but King Juan Carlos had already travelled to Thailand that year, they are not European royals and she brought a very special present from her husband, the Golden Fleece Collar, which very few people received from King Juan Carlos.

Any other time she's attended a royal gathering without her husband it has been for deposed royals or in honor of a consort, a Crown Prince or a minor royal. The SRF considers that the Head of State should attend the events of a fellow Head of State, and in case the King is unavailable they now have a former Head of State as second best case scenario. That's why only King Juan Carlos (and Queen Sofia, but she's optional) could attend King Harald's birthday celebrations once it became clear that the King had events on the 9th and the 10th.

King Juan Carlos doesn't seem to particularly enjoy these events and I think that's why they are only attending the second dinner (sadly without tiaras), but it can also be that they don't think it's appropriate to spend two days celebrating when next day they're attending the funeral of King Juan Carlos last aunt. Infanta Alicia's funeral is next Thursday, and while they are not in mourning like in the old times and they've all traveled and attended private birthday parties in the case of the King and Queen, it may be a factor in the decision.

:previous:

Wasn't Sofia also supposed to attend Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 2012?
The trip was then cancelled after the umpteenth dispute over Gibraltar, but IIRC she was supposed to go there alone.

This is getting seriously off-topic ;)

I only remember that the Spanish attendance was cancelled, but King Juan Carlos was in no condition to travel anywhere in 2012. He broke his hip in Botswana in April and underwent surgery three times (two in April and one in November if I remember correctly). In any case since she didn't attend my point seems to stand :p (And also there was no former monarch to attend with her/in her stead)

From BILLED-BLADET - translated by me:
Kongelig kæmpefest i Norge: Se hvem der kommer | BILLED-BLADET
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde is attending from Belgium - just like their colleagues from the neighboring country, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima. It is also expected that the king's mother, Princess Beatrix, is with to the festivities.

It is also reported that the princely couple of Monaco, Albert and Charlene, will be among the guests. And although it has not yet been confirmed, the Greek royal family is likely to be represented.
I haven't seen anything about this in the Norwegian media, so I take this with a large pinch of salt.

There's no reason why queen Letizia cannot attend these events on her own if Her Majesty has no other commitments but personally I believe that queen Sofia is given this role to compensate for her lack of official duties.

I'm sure in time Letizia will start attending these events on her own but for not her mother in law will be the Spanish Royal representative ,her husband King Juan Carlos rarely attended these type of events in the past and I doubt he'll change.

Did Carl Gustav&Silvia, Harald&Sonja and Margrethe attend the 50th birthday celebration of KING WILLEM-ALEXANDER??NO

:previous: Beatrix is contemporary of the birthday couple, so it likely very natural for her to go. Harald was Frisos godfather and the only foreign royal at his funeral. So it doesn't seem surprising if true that Mabel would go. It does seem a large contingent. I wonder if the press is just guessing the king and queen are attending as well, as the other monarchs are.

IMO it makes more sense to send Beatrix and Sofia. It's a birthday, doesn't require monarchs. Sofia and Beatrix are contemporaries of the king and queen. If Haakons birthday id say heirs or new monarchs as they are contemporaries and often socialize. The Scandis are related and very close, so of course they send numerous. But Sofia has more connection to the crown couple then Letizia does.

:previous: Beatrix is contemporary of the birthday couple, so it likely very natural for her to go. Harald was Frisos godfather and the only foreign royal at his funeral. So it doesn't seem surprising if true that Mabel would go. It does seem a large contingent. I wonder if the press is just guessing the king and queen are attending as well, as the other monarchs are.

IMO it makes more sense to send Beatrix and Sofia. It's a birthday, doesn't require monarchs. Sofia and Beatrix are contemporaries of the king and queen. If Haakons birthday id say heirs or new monarchs as they are contemporaries and often socialize. The Scandis are related and very close, so of course they send numerous. But Sofia has more connection to the crown couple then Letizia does.

I read on Twitter that five Dutch Royals will attend. The reporter is usually very reliable. I think we can definitely say the King and Queen will go, and I suppose the other three will be princess Beatrix or princess Mabel, and maybe Constantijn and Laurentien, since we won't come to five if they don't attend too. I doubt we'll see Mabel at a big event like this. She hasn't been to big Royal foreign events since the accident, and she'll have to go on her own, without her husband who had the title. I think we'll have to wait for the guest list. The Dutch court usually announces this very last minute, so we have to wait and see.

Thanks! Yes I know all that of course. And as i wrote in post 137, Willem-Alexander (as Crown Prince) attended the Silver Wedding Anniversary in 1993 along with his mother and two brothers. He also attended the 60th Birthdays celebrations in 1997

For the the King's 70th birthday in February 2007, he attended with Maxima, Constantijn, Laurentien, Friso and Mabel.

Beatrix and Maxima attended the Queen's 70th birthday in July the same year.

As I also wrote in post 137, Willem-Alexander and Maxima are known to be some of the Crown Prince Couple's closest royal friends, and they often meet each other (according to Kjell Arne Totland and other royal commentators).

They also attended Haakon's 40th birthday at Skaugum in 2013.

I just wondered how likely it was that so many from the Dutch royal house would attend.

I read on Twitter that five Dutch Royals will attend. The reporter is usually very reliable. I think we can definitely say the King and Queen will go, and I suppose the other three will be princess Beatrix or princess Mabel, and maybe Constantijn and Laurentien, since we won't come to five if they don't attend too. I doubt we'll see Mabel at a big event like this. She hasn't been to big Royal foreign events since the accident, and she'll have to go on her own, without her husband who had the title. I think we'll have to wait for the guest list. The Dutch court usually announces this very last minute, so we have to wait and see.
Thanks! It were some twitter rumors in Norwegian media that Willem-Alexander and Maxima was not to attend, but as usual I suppose they were wrong again.

NRK tells about their coverage - translated by me:

https://www.nrk.no/presse/programomtaler/kongeparet-80-ar-1.13501428
The King and Queen 80 years

Week 19 NRK1 Tuesday May 9th at 17:20 and Wednesday 10th of May at 17:30

NRK has planned a large-scale broadcast of the King and Queen's 80th birthdays. On two consecutive nights, NRK1 clears space in their schedule for the live broadcasts from the celebrations. Thus, the TV viewers get as close to the events as possible.

NRK marks the celebration of the King and Queen's 80th birthdays on both Tuesday 9th of May and Wednesday 10 May.

More than 30 royal guests from all over Europe are expected, including the entire Danish royal family and the Swedish royal family.

The host Jon Gelius is leading the live broadcasts these evenings, and he brings with him NRK's Royal Correspondent Kristi Marie Skrede.

Gala Dinner at the Palace

Tuesday, 9th of May NRK1 will start sending its broadcast by noon. 17.20 from the palace square, where the gard music plays. There are other entertainment as well.

The royal couple and their royal guests will come out on the balcony to greet the people.

Afterwards, there is a gala dinner at the Palace, and NRK shows the guests arriving in the party-decorated halls. The viewers will also see and hear how King Harald welcomes all his guests to the gala dinner.

"In the live broadcast from Slottsplassen we bring guests to comment on the King and Queen's roles and the gala dinner they hold for their chosen friends and family," says Jon Gelius''.

Dinner in the opera

Wednesday 9th of May, it is clear for the government's dinner at the Norwegian Opera for the royal couple and selected guests from all over the country. NRK1 starts its live broadcast at 17.30 with a studio on the opera house and inside the Opera itself.

There will be entertainment in and out. The royal couple travels to the Opera from the palave along Karl Johans gate. The dinner this evening is the government's gift for the royal couple on the occasion of the 80th birthdays.

Also this evening there will be more guests who will tell about their experiences with the King and Queen and give their assessments of their work.

"The viewers can take part in the festivities both nights as if it were in their own living room, so this will be two royal nights for the viewers to really enjoy, says Gelius.''

Exclusive interviews

In addition to the two live sendings, NRK also offers exclusive interviews with both Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon.

Jon Gelius has interviewed Queen Sonja. The Queen tells about her commitment to art and how she experiences her role as Queen.

Kristi Marie Skrede has interviewed Crown Prince Haakon. He talks about his relationship with his parents and what kind of celebration this is going to be.

Any news if the NRK will open its internet streams for the world (I mean if they unlock the geoblockade) as did Danish TV during Queen's Margrethe II's 75th birthday?

:previous: Yes, I think you will be able to watch it live outside Norway. I will post more information (possible links) about it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Last edited:
Thanks! It were some twitter rumors in Norwegian media that Willem-Alexander and Maxima was not to attend, but as usual I suppose they were wrong again.

The Norwegian Media might be right, I'm not certain about the Royal Couple's attendance, but I do expect they will both attend. Nothing is certain before things are confirmed by the Dutch or Norwegian courts, which might happen tomorrow. Five Dutch Royals still is a strange amount, since I didn't expect Constantijn and Laurentien to attend at first (even though they both did attend the 70th Birthday party in 2007). We can't say anything for sure before the guest list is published or the Dutch court announces anything. Apparently it's unusual to announce attendance for such parties when the hosting party hasn't announced anything yet.

:previous: The eminent royal Expert Kjell Arne Totland (although he's been wrong before) said on TV2 news channel this morning that according to his sources both Willem-Alexander, Maxima, Beatrix and Mabel will be in attendance in Norway.

Let's hope he is correct. His last birthday they were all there: Beatrix and her 3 sons and daughters-in-law. Prince Friso was his godson of course. The king seemed to have taken the task seriously and was present at the wedding of the prince while no other foreign royals were. Let's hope Laurentien and Constantijn will be going too, though it must be complicated for them as they have normal jobs and the celebrations are not in the weekend.

If one or two Bourbon-Parma's would be invited could be nice too. They were all present at the 40th (?) birthday of Princess Martha Louise and at least Prince Jaime & Viktoria went to the 40th birthday of the crown prince.

:previous: Yes, let's hope he is correct. And I think we will have the guestlist tomorow.

Willem-Alexander, Maxima, Constantijn, Laurentien, Friso and Mabel were in attendance for the King 70th in February 2007. Beatrix was not present, but she and Maxima attended Queen Sonja's 70th birthday in July the same year.

Laurentien has an engagement on May 9th, so I don't think she will attend.

Last edited:
The time is 06:02 AM in Norway and I'm looking forward to tomorrow when Norway's beloved monarch and his Queen celebrates their 80th birthdays.

I was at the palace square yesterday, and it is already beautifully decorated with flowers.

Royal Central's Oskar Aanmoen (who live in Oslo) has tweeted some pictures of it - se them here: https://twitter.com/OAanmoen/status/861276774117900289

I will be back later today with more information.

Almost the whole article translated by me:
Usynlige sikkerhetstiltak rundt kongeparets 80-årsfeiring - Kongeparet - VG
Invisible security measures around King and Queen's 80th birthdays

The police hope people will join in and cheer King Harald and Queen Sonja in Oslo. But there are certain rules to follow.

Tuesday and Wednesday 9th and 10th of May, 30-40 royals will be present during the official celebration of the royal couple, both of which are 80 this year.

There will be both a gala dinner at the palace on Tuesday, and a celebrity event in the Opera organized by the government on Wednesday. The scope means that the police must put in large resources to ensure security around both the celebre guests and the public.

"This is a big event that brings together very many people from across Europe. When so many royals and presidents are gathered in one place, it requires a number of preventive security measures from the police, "says police inspector Johan Fredriksen at the Joint Operational Section in Oslo Police District to VG.

The public will first and foremost notice this because some driving routes are marked and that it will be clearly marked where the public can stand and not. On Tuesday, most of the celebrations takes place around the palace, but on Wednesday the king and the guests will move more around the city.

Down Karl Johan

Among other things, the royal guests will drive down Karl Johan with one minute's space, which belongs to the rarities.

''The big event is this transport route from the palace down to the Opera on Wednesday evening in connection with the dinner, which is a gift from the government. Then it will be especially appropriate for the public to be at university campus, the area around the cathedral, the railway station or around the Opera, says Fredriksen.

"There will be more organized at these places and better space to see," he explains.

Armed police

He states that the police want a mobile response and will have both visible and invisible measures in connection with the celebrations.

"We are talking about security-creating and preventive measures. The public will see armed police, but this is purely preventive and lies in the nature of this mission.

He indicates that the public can get information on this on police.no or the police's Facebook and Twitter pages.

Fredriksen hopes the peoples shows up.

"We urges people to be out to cheer the King and Queen. Use the city and join the celebrations. We will be there for the public, "he says.

I hope and believe the public will turn up to cheer. It isn't every day that a much loved King reaches the age of eighty. I would love to be there myself to see it all.
Thank you for your translations, Royal Norway.

I hope and believe the public will turn up to cheer. It isn't every day that a much loved King reaches the age of eighty. I would love to be there myself to see it all.
Thank you for your translations, Royal Norway.
You're very welcome!

I'm watching the king on TV2 news channel now. It's the Liberation/Veterans Day in Norway and the King is present at Akershus palace.

I did not have time to translate the NRK article, so I chose this short article instead:
https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/2017/05/08/195301046/kongeparet-far-100-ar-lang-bokreise-i-gave
The King and Queen will receive 100 years of book travel in gift

The City of Oslo gives an art gift that first can be packed up in 100 years.

The gift is six certificates in the art project future Library, which extends over 100 years. Every year, one author is asked to contribute a text to be printed in 2114. The paper comes from 1,000 trees planted at Vettakollen in Oslo.

"Through the art project "Framtidsbiblioteket"(future Library), Oslo's citizens give the royal couple a part of the city and part of the future. This is not just a gift to the King and Queen, but also to their grandchildren and their descendants. The gift lifts past and present into the future, says Mayor Marianne Borgen, who presents the gift at the Palace on Tuesday.

The texts are to be kept in the new Deichmanske library in Bjørvika. It is the Scottish artist Katie Paterson who is behind the project. Canadian writer Margaret Atwood and the British writer David Mitchell have already contributed with texts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom