Meghan Markle's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T
People that count? How does one become an ‘expert’ in style.

Style is subjective or threads like this wouldn’t exist. I’ve read many opinions and the comments are about 50-50.

Stylists and designers are who are calling the dress "iconic" The reason they are the experts is quite simple. Fashion is their training and career the same as medicine is a doctor's field of expertise. I haven't read any dissent among them...not yet anyway.

But yes here on TRF I agree that there are a variety of opinions. I can't think of any Royal Bride ever on these threads that wore a dress 100 per cent of posters liked.

Last edited:

Style is subjective or threads like this wouldn’t exist. I’ve read many opinions and the comments are about 50-50.

What I've found is that anyone can say anything behind a monitor for different reasons. It doesn't necessary give legitimacy to something just because someone said it. What the fashion experts (editors, photographers, even established bloggers, etc.) with a track record tend to have more depth in their analysis. To some the JLo dress might look the same, but if you take a closer look at it, it's actually very different in how it's designed (the vertical seams in Meghan's dress vs. JLo's lack of seam on the top of the dress), which changes the entire fit and look.

There are people out there too that think that Michelangelo's David is way too under dressed. :D

OMG, that's so true. :lol: This day and age, even puppies don't get consensus. Bottom line is Meghan's dress is an classic style that will defy time and trends. She'll temporarily create a higher demand for specific elements in the wedding gown. And eventually it'll go away, and then come back again triggered by someone else. That's just how these things work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stylists and designers are who are calling the dress "iconic" The reason they are the experts is quite simple. Fashion is their training and career the same as medicine is a doctor's field of expertise. I haven't read any dissent among them...not yet anyway.

But yes here on TRF I agree that there are a variety of opinions. I can't think of any Royal Bride ever on these threads that wore a dress 100 per cent of posters liked.

But fashion experts are always proclaiming royal wedding dresses "iconic." Back in the day, Diana's dress was iconic. Same was said of Kate's dress.

Fashion is subjective and just because some fashion stylist or designer likes something, doesn't mean the opinions of others don't count.

Meghan's dress was nice, but I wasn't wowed by it. It reminded me of Princess Angela's dress. I did love the veil though...it was exquisite.

The evening dress was beautiful. Much preferred it to the wedding gown.

Meghan's dress was indeed iconic -- JMHO. It will be a Top 10 along w/Princess Grace.
She was breathtaking!

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I am not sure if it (the dress itself)will be in my personal Top Ten but I thought she was overall one of the most stunning Royal brides in recent memory:)

Last edited:
An overskirt like the skirt of that bateau neckline gown with the gorgeous buttons that we kept posting over and over again in the other thread (can't remember the name of the designer, but I have it saved on my computer).

Is that the Milla Nova gown Maven? This one - https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-...018-new-milla-nova-wedding-dresses-a-line.jpg

That was my only comment on Meghan's gown. I wish there was the button detail on the sleeves and going up the back and a slighter fuller skirt/tighter bodice.

Last edited:
But fashion experts are always proclaiming royal wedding dresses "iconic." Back in the day, Diana's dress was iconic. Same was said of Kate's dress.

Fashion is subjective and just because some fashion stylist or designer likes something, doesn't mean the opinions of others don't count.

Meghan's dress was nice, but I wasn't wowed by it. It reminded me of Princess Angela's dress. I did love the veil though...it was exquisite.

The way I look at it is that you can't separate the dress from the veil. And that's why they display the veil with the dress at exhibitions. The veil is part of the dress. Especially when the veil is the a showstopper like that. I'd shutter to think what it would look like to pair it with an normally impressive dress. It was quite classic and the way it came together at the bottom was quite marvelous. I will always have that image of Meghan walking up the West Steps and you can see the outline of her dress under that veil. It was simply breathtaking. It'd be really nice for a bride that doesn't get a veil quite like that to add some embroidery and beading onto the dress though. BUT I'M SO GLAD THERE IS NO LACE! :lol:

Last edited:

Very true, in this case I suspect the people who matter are just the people who agree with the poster. Katy is right the dress was obviously too big, makes me wonder how professional the designer was if she couldn't make a dress that fits.

Very true, in this case I suspect the people who matter are just the people who agree with the poster. Katy is right the dress was obviously too big, makes me wonder how professional the designer was if she couldn't make a dress that fits.

Since the fabric didn't have spandex in it, if it was much tighter Meghan wouldn't have been able to move comfortably.

You don't become head of not one, not two, but three different houses for nothing. Let alone an iconic fashion house like Givenchy, following Riccardo Tisci. Those are iconic footsteps to follow. Also, you don't get asked by Tom Ford to join his team because you don't really know what you are doing.

In my opinion, the fabric ensured the fit of the dress couldn't be done in any other way, both tighter or looser. And perhaps she lost weight after the last fittings, considering the evening reception dress wasn't much better fit wise.

It is a diiferent style and also constructed differently, the neckline, the way the sleeves are set, the waist, the skirt.

Is that the Milla Nova gown Maven? This one - https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-...018-new-milla-nova-wedding-dresses-a-line.jpg

That was my only comment on Meghan's gown. I wish there was the button detail on the sleeves and going up the back and a slighter fuller skirt/tighter bodice.

Yep that's the one! I adore that gown.

Also - on another note, it's interesting that the press hasn't picked up on how similar Meghan's gown was to Angela's. That's one of the closest to hers that I've seen out of the other royal gowns.

The way I look at it is that you can't separate the dress from the veil. And that's why they display the veil with the dress at exhibitions. The veil is part of the dress. Especially when the veil is the a showstopper like that. I'd shutter to think what it would look like to pair it with an normally impressive dress. It was quite classic and the way it came together at the bottom was quite marvelous. I will always have that image of Meghan walking up the West Steps and you can see the outline of her dress under that veil. It was simply breathtaking. It'd be really nice for a bride that doesn't get a veil quite like that to add some embroidery and beading onto the dress though. BUT I'M SO GLAD THERE IS NO LACE! :lol:

I agree with you that Meghan's dress and veil go together. One is very simple, with a very modern cut - it's a modern interpretation of a style of gown we've seen before. Alone, without a veil, it probably would read as too plain.

With the veil - the REALLY dramatic cathedral length embroidered veil - it just lifts the whole look.

Plus - it's a beautiful example of contrasting a relatively modern but classic base with a delicate, ethereal veil. It works best because of the contrast.

A veil like that with a lacy dress? Too much. You wouldn't get the same impact because the dress and veil would compete. A plain veil with that dress? Too little. You'd lose impact.

As it was - Meghan's look was perfect for her and that's all that really matters. I do think it will be iconic - for the contrast she created with the modern base/delicate embroidered veil - and also for the fabric that created such a perfect WRINKLE FREE drape.

And I disagree with the comments that the dress wasn't fitted well. It was meant to drape - not cling.

The dress was okay. Nice, but nothing to remember. The veil was lovely. She look lovely. Underwhelming, but lovely. The Stella McCartney dress was much more interesting, fit her better and look special. All and all she was a lovely bride. And she looked happy. That is the most important thing.

The dress was okay. Nice, but nothing to remember. The veil was lovely. She look lovely. Underwhelming, but lovely. The Stella McCartney dress was much more interesting, fit her better and look special. All and all she was a lovely bride. And she looked happy. That is the most important thing.

IMO-the evening dress looked like an ordinary party dress. She looked like a royal bride in her wedding gown and veil.

I feel exactly the same way, soapstar. I was all set to be impressed, I envisioned her in something edgy and trend setting. Some elements were amazing (the veil and tiara), but overall it was just very meh imo. I much preferred the evening dress, that was more along the lines of the look I pictured her in.

I agree with you that Meghan's dress and veil go together. One is very simple, with a very modern cut - it's a modern interpretation of a style of gown we've seen before. Alone, without a veil, it probably would read as too plain.

With the veil - the REALLY dramatic cathedral length embroidered veil - it just lifts the whole look.

Plus - it's a beautiful example of contrasting a relatively modern but classic base with a delicate, ethereal veil. It works best because of the contrast.

A veil like that with a lacy dress? Too much. You wouldn't get the same impact because the dress and veil would compete. A plain veil with that dress? Too little. You'd lose impact.

As it was - Meghan's look was perfect for her and that's all that really matters. I do think it will be iconic - for the contrast she created with the modern base/delicate embroidered veil - and also for the fabric that created such a perfect WRINKLE FREE drape.

And I disagree with the comments that the dress wasn't fitted well. It was meant to drape - not cling.

Praying she starts a new trend away from the see thru, blingy skin tight wedding dresses.

I had someone tell me today they thought the dress called to much attention to her breasts...I was like uh...what?

LaRae

Praying she starts a new trend away from the see thru, blingy skin tight wedding dresses.

I had someone tell me today they thought the dress called to much attention to her breasts...I was like uh...what?

LaRae

Wow, I'm not sure what dress they saw--it was pretty demure.

it's interesting that the press hasn't picked up on how similar Meghan's gown was to Angela's. That's one of the closest to hers that I've seen out of the other royal gowns.

That's because the press don't know who Angela is! They can barely tell Beatrice and Eugenie apart, let alone a Princess from Liechtenstein.

I loved Meghan's whole wedding outfit; the dress needed the veil and the veil needed the dress to be complete. And that tiara needed to be worn again; what a stunner! Much better to see it now that those old black and white photos of Queen Mary. I thought Meghan's dress very suitable to becoming a Royal; not a hint of Hollywood. Even the earrings and bracelet were Royal-looking, just great (though I myself am a fan of dangly earrings rather than studs). And Prince Harry and Meghan looked so happy. I hope it continues forever. And the official wedding photo was just so well-composed and lovely. I watched over 8 hours of TV on Saturday and it all held my interest.

Wow, I'm not sure what dress they saw--it was pretty demure.

I know I was like..umm how? They said the way to bodice was cut it made her look like she had more chest than she does...I said I don't understand how you are getting that. The dress was not fitted to display anything...it didn't draw attention to anything but her collarbones....people just get weird ideas.

LaRae

I know I was like..umm how? They said the way to bodice was cut it made her look like she had more chest than she does...I said I don't understand how you are getting that. The dress was not fitted to display anything...it didn't draw attention to anything but her collarbones....people just get weird ideas.

LaRae

I just went back and looked again (in case I missed something).......nope

I knew I hadn't missed anything....they didn't like anything about it so I figured it was just something weird they came up with to add to the list.

LaRae

Yep that's the one! I adore that gown.

Also - on another note, it's interesting that the press hasn't picked up on how similar Meghan's gown was to Angela's. That's one of the closest to hers that I've seen out of the other royal gowns.

Here's a link to a side-by-side comparison of Meghan's dress and Angela's dress. Very similar indeed.

Meghan Markle Married Her Prince in the Same Wedding Dress As 1st Black Princess Angela of Liechtenstein

Also, looks like Meghan's dresses were recreated within 24 hours of wedding by these Irish dressmakers. They did pretty good!

https://www.thevow.ie/real-weddings...ours-and-the-photos-are-amazing-36929904.html

Whatever Meghan would have worn would have ended up looking like someone else's wedding dress. I often don't get when comparisons are made, if one looks hard enough, there will always be similar dresses. The difference was always just going to be in the details, fit, construction, and how suited it is to the body type of the person wearing it. After a few days of looking at many photos of the dress, and initially being critical of the loose fit, I now think that the fit is intentional. The PR did say that the bride wanted something "relaxed." It's just that the design makes it hard to reconcile relaxed and modern/architectural.

What I also didn't like is how the length of the veil falls at waist length, so when she is standing up, the embroidery details sometimes look like it's part of the dress and my pet peeve--does nothing to emphasize her waist so it throws off the proportions of the look. I liked it much better when the veil was lifted though.

I did not like the wedding dress - but it is typical of someone older and who is marrying for the 2nd time around

I did not like the wedding dress - but it is typical of someone older and who is marrying for the 2nd time around

I think Meghan's choice had more to do with marrying the Queen's grandson in St George's and her personal style than her age or previous wedding.
What did you think she should have worn or wanted her to wear?

Back
Top Bottom