King Umberto II (1904-1983) and Queen Marie-José (1906-2001)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He doesn't look well,and is using a crutch also. It was just the Prince accompanied by his wife and son,I don't think any other family members attended the Mass at Hautecombe Abbey

It appears that the two rival branches have organized two different ceremonies both on Saturday 16 March. This is quite sad IMO.

Prince Umberto married Princess Marie-Jose of Belgium in 1930.
After the marriage ceremony they were received by the Pope in the Vatican.

Who officated the wedding ceremony?

I am trying to find out who officiated the wedding ceremony between Maria Jose' and Umberto II in Rome on January, 8th 1930.
Are there any videos or pictures of the wedding ceremony?
Any information, much appreciated!

I am trying to find out who officiated the wedding ceremony between Maria Jose' and Umberto II in Rome on January, 8th 1930.
Are there any videos or pictures of the wedding ceremony?
Any information, much appreciated!
Their wedding was officiated by Cardinal Pietro Maffi, Archbishop of Pisa.
Originally the wedding was planned to be celebrated by Cardinal Giuseppe Gamba, Archbishop of Torino, whom Umberto was very fond of; unfortunately, Cardinal Gamba died a couple of weeks before the date planned for the wedding. Then it was Pope Pius XI who chose Cardinal Maffi to replace him.

Crowds of Italians greeted Marie Jose when she was Crown Princess in 1930.

Let's hope the remains of King Umberto II and of the queen Maria Jose will soon be brought to Vicoforte soon. The idea of the Pantheon won't certainly be accepted by Italian authorities.

Let's hope the remains of King Umberto II and of the queen Maria Jose will soon be brought to Vicoforte soon. The idea of the Pantheon won't certainly be accepted by Italian authorities.

Isn't King Victor Emmanuel II buried in the Pantheon?

King Vittorio Emanuele II is indeed buried in the Pantheon in Rome, as well as his son King Umberto I and his daughter-in-law Queen Margherita.

Crowds of Italians greeted Marie Jose when she was Crown Princess in 1930.

Seeing these videos I ask how the monarchy fell? I think it's weird. The Kings were popular, from what I've seen in the videos.

Seeing these videos I ask how the monarchy fell? I think it's weird. The Kings were popular, from what I've seen in the videos.
The way I've understood it the main reasons was Victor Emmanuel's refusal to abdicate in time before the referendum to make it possible for his son to save the monarchy by having enough time to distance it from the fascist regime, while southern Italy had been liberated for a substantial time before the referendum and had allowed Umberto & Maria Jose opportunities to endear themselves to the population there in the north their opposition to the fascist regime was practically unknown and finally the referendum was flawed and performed in a country still in chaos and with large parts of the electorate unaccounted for.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Wikipedia declares: The monarchy of the House of Savoy formally ended on June 13, 1946, and Umberto left the country.
Did King Umberto II abdicate?

Wikipedia declares: The monarchy of the House of Savoy formally ended on June 13, 1946, and Umberto left the country.
Did King Umberto II abdicate?

More like the country abdicated the monarchy, so there was nothing left for him to abdicate from... (imo)

Today in Royal History is the 113th birthday of Queen Marie José of Italy born Princess Marie José of Belgium.

Back
Top Bottom