Grand Ducal Houses of Mecklenburg (Schwerin and Strelitz)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Erbgroßherzog once said they have met the Dutch royal family and have a correspondence with them. It was in an interview with one of the newspapers, I have to find it.

When the King and Queen Máxima visited Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, they were offered a lunch at Schloß Schwerin and the Großherzog Borwin von Mecklenburg was one of the guests, so there are contacts with the Mecklenburg-Strelitzes.

The problem seems that Queen Juliana, Herzogin von Mecklenburg-Schwerin rücksichtlos ended all contacts after WWII because the then Erbgroßherzog Friedrich Franz was an ostentatious Nazi.

(For mysterious reasons the equally strained links with the Waldeck-Pyrmonts were reconciled, while the then Fürst zu Waldeck und Pyrmont was an arch-Nazi as well.)

The late Woizlawa Feodora Prinzessin Reuß zu Köstritz born Herzogin von Mecklenburg-Schwerin (a niece and bridesmaid of Queen Juliana) once complained about this "boycott" by the Dutch royal family.

Last edited:
The Hereditary Duke once said they have met the Dutch royal family and have a correspondence with them. It was in an interview with one of the newspapers, I have to find it.

When the King and Queen Máxima visited Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, they were offered a lunch at Schloß Schwerin and the Grand-Duke Borwin von Mecklenburg was one of the guests at that lunch, so there are contacts with the Mecklenburgs.

The problem seems that Queen Juliana, Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin rücksichtlos ended all contacts after WWII because the Erbgroßherzog Friedrich Franz was an ostentatious Nazi.

(For mysterious reasons the strained links with the Waldeck-Pyrmonts were reconciled, whole the Fürst zu Waldeck und Pyrmont was an arch-Nazi as well.

Maybe becaude the House Mecklenburg-Schwerin simply no longer exist and the royal family simply has lesser contacts with them than with the Waldeck-Pyrmonts.

The House of Waldeck Pyrmont doesn't exist any longer either.So...The Schwerin's are different from the Strelitz branche...

The House of Waldeck Pyrmont doesn't exist any longer either.So...The Schwerin's are different from the Strelitz branche...
The Waldeck und Pyrmont family aren’t extinct in the male line.

The Waldeck und Pyrmont family aren’t extinct in the male line.

Indeed: Fürst Wittekind and Fürstin Cecilie zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, Gräfin Goëß-Saurau leaving the memoriam service for Prince Friso (Delft): picture.

The distrained relationship with the Waldeck-Pyrmonts has healed, with the Mecklenburgs not yet (but possible also because it are not Schwerins at all but Strelitzes).

Anyway: today was no representation from the Netherlands at the grand-ducal wedding, so to see. That the future Grand-Ducal couple may have a happy marriage!

Last edited:
Indeed: Fürst Wittekind and Fürstin Cecilie zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, Gräfin Goëß-Saurau leaving the memoriam service for Prince Friso (Delft): picture.

The distrained relationship with the Waldeck-Pyrmonts has healed, with the Mecklenburgs not yet (but possible also because it are not Schwerins at all but Strelitzes).

Anyway: today was no representation from the Netherlands at the grand-ducal wedding, so to see. That the future Grand-Ducal couple may have a happy marriage!
I really wonder why the Dutch royals iced out the Schwerins but yet are so chummy with the Waldeck und Pyrmont Princes. Especially when the late Woizlawa tried so hard to reach out and no responses. No one can claim the family was begging for money because I don’t think they ever begged or asked the Dutch royals for money.

Last edited:
I really wonder why the Dutch royals have iced out the Schwerins but yet are so chummy with the Waldeck und Pyrmont Princes. Especially when the late Woizlawa tried so hard to reach out and no responses.

That is indeed a very good question. In an interview with Elsevier's Magazine (a serious weekly current affairs magazine) in 2009 Princess Woizlawa Feodora denied that her father was a member of the Nazi Party and played down her father's friendship with Hermann Göring: "He just so now and then came to the Hunt at my father's domains."

In 2009 Queen Beatrix rehabilitated the zu Waldeck und Pyrmonts while the then Fürst was a far more high Nazi than Woizlawa Feodora's father ever was.

Her son Prince Heinrich XIII Reuß zu Köstritz said to the magazine: "I do not understand that Queen Beatrix has sought contact with the Waldecks but not with us: I am afraid our dear cousine has been poorly advised".

I have the idea there is the crux: talking with the media is a BIG no-no for the Orange-Nassaus. But in the meantime Woizlawa-Feodora has passed away and with her the link to Mecklenburg-Schwerin. With Borwin and Georg Alexander von Mecklenburg-Strelitz there simply are far, far more distant family contacts, I assume.

That is indeed a very good question. In an interview with Elsevier's Magazine (a serious weekly current affairs magazine) in 2009 Princess Woizlawa Feodora denied that her father was a member of the Nazi Party and played down her father's friendship with Hermann Göring: "He just so now and then came to the Hunt at my father's domains."

In 2009 Queen Beatrix rehabilitated the zu Waldeck und Pyrmonts while the then Fürst was a far more high Nazi than Woizlawa Feodora's father ever was.

Her son Prince Heinrich XIII Reuß zu Köstritz said to the magazine: "I do not understand that Queen Beatrix has sought contact with the Waldecks but not with us: I am afraid our dear cousine has been poorly advised".

I have the idea there is the crux: talking with the media is a BIG no-no for the Orange-Nassaus. But in the meantime Woizlawa-Feodora has passed away and with her the link to Mecklenburg-Schwerin. With Borwin and Georg Alexander von Mecklenburg-Strelitz there simply are far, far more distant family contacts, I assume.
I understand all that because I recall you mentioned this somewhere and I saw a video on YouTube about the late Woizlawa were she was giving interviews. I understand that talking to the media was not great, but I think the Orange-Nassau’s were stubborn regarding Woizlawa and I don’t think even one of them attended her funeral.

I am curious if someone from the Dutch royal family will attend. Princess Beatrix, Princess Irene and Princess Margriet are daughters of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.

But this is Mecklenburg-Strelitz so that is not the same branch and more distant (although the line Mecklenburg-Schwerin has become extinct). My guess is that the Dutch royal family will - at best- request a Kamerheer (chamberlain), Hofdame (lady-in-waiting) or Consul to represent them.

The line Mecklenburg-Schwerin is still existent. Duchess Donata is the present head of the branch and has been received as such at official ceremonies in the state. (If you meant to write "extinct in male line", it would be hypocritical of the Dutch royal line of Wilhelmina, Juliana and Beatrix to distance themselves from female heads...)

The line Mecklenburg-Schwerin is still existent. Duchess Donata is the present head of the branch and has been received as such at official ceremonies in the state. (If you meant to write "extinct in male line", it would be hypocritical of the Dutch royal line of Wilhelmina, Juliana and Beatrix to distance themselves from female heads...)
He’s not saying that the families are distant because of female heads. The families are distant because of the Dutch royals simply avoiding them and the issue was with the late Woizlawa of Mecklenburg-Schwerin not Donata who they appear to have no relations with.

He’s not saying that the families are distant because of female heads. The families are distant because of the Dutch royals simply avoiding them and the issue was with the late Woizlawa of Mecklenburg-Schwerin not Donata who they appear to have no relations with.
Not sure but i think Donata's parents Duke Christian Ludwig and his wife Barbara, née Princess of Prussia had been attending the grand Silver Wedding Celebrations of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard.

Not sure but i think Donata's parents Duke Christian Ludwig and his wife Barbara, née Princess of Prussia had been attending the grand Silver Wedding Celebrations of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard.
Really? Didn’t know that. Thank you

I was reading in this column of all the reaction's of different members of TRF and I find it very interesting and close to my heart about the House of Orange-Nassau & of course the House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. I bought long time ago a historical photobook with beautiful b/w & color pictures and a short history about the both dynasties from the 1900 to 1999, there is even a picture of Miss Maxima Zorreguieta (later married the elder son of ex queen Beatrix of the Netherlands) included. Known today as king Willem-Alexander & queen Maxima. This photobook has 366 pages of photos & narrative at each photo. The title is in Dutch "Het Koninklijk Fotoalbum", (The Royal Photo Album). Very historical & even includes a Family tree of the House of Orange Nassau & Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Germany).Worth having it, rich in history of the Dutch royalty & German nobility.

Last edited:

And there must have been a representation to the Funeral of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, dowager to Heinrich Herzog von Mecklenburg-Schwerin. That will not have been Woizlawa Feodora Herzogin von Mecklenburg-Schwerin, since she married into the House Reuß zu Köstritz.

But it is kind of painful that a cousine and bridesmaid was not invited to the funeral of Queen Juliana, a fellow Herzogin von Mecklenburg-Schwerin, in 2004.

A nice large gallery of official photos of the wedding of Alexander and Hande has been released today:

** gallery **

Looks like a complicated dress if both the bride and her father need to keep it together while walking up this isle (while having bridesmaids carry the train).

It also seems a rather small and low-key wedding. A relatively small congretation and few spectators (other than some well-known royal watchers) - I guess the bad weather didn't help either. For the bridesmaids/flowergirls/pageboys they went with a color but allowed quite a bit of different versions as long as the dress was white (for the older girls) or they wore blue shorts with a white dress shirt - just but the same blue ribbon around your waist and you're good to go. Only the youngest girls seemed to be wearing the same dress - but still with different shoes.

The wedding dress itself seems a size to wide - it's fine in this picture where she is standing but doesn't work that well most of the time - when either walking or seated.

The couple runs 'Luwia' - a yoghurt business in Rotterdam, the Netherlands - together with Hande's brother Kerem. It was founded by the Macit-siblings and Alexander joined them at some point and is now a co-owner.

See their website.

Also found this interview from a few years ago (2018) - it's in Dutch but Google Translate should work.

The House of Mecklenburg has some information on their website:
https://de.mecklenburg-strelitz.org/2020/12/20/verlobung-des-erbprinzen-und-fraulein-hande-macit/

She was born September the 16th 1992 in Tarsus/Turkey, studied there at the American College, moved then 2010 into the Netherlands, city of Rotterdam to study International Business Administration there. She has finished her studies 2014 and became a Dutch citizen.

2018 she founded together with her brother a yoghurt factory - Luwia Yoghurt.

She is taking religious lessons in Catholicism to become a christian - what surprises at least me: I thought, all East German Noble Houses were protestants.

I wonder whether she has been baptized by now. What would the difference in marriage ceremony be if she were or wasn't baptized a (Roman Catholic) christian?

And hopefully her German was at least sufficient to get the meaning of the service. She should at least be able to speak Dutch given that she obtained Dutch citizenship.

Last edited by a moderator:
The House of Mecklenburg has some information on their website:
https://de.mecklenburg-strelitz.org/2020/12/20/verlobung-des-erbprinzen-und-fraulein-hande-macit/

She was born September the 16th 1992 in Tarsus/Turkey, studied there at the American College, moved then 2010 into the Netherlands, city of Rotterdam to study International Business Administration there. She has finished her studies 2014 and became a Dutch citizen.

2018 she founded together with her brother a yoghurt factory - Luwia Yoghurt.

She is taking religious lessons in Catholicism to become a christian - what surprises at least me: I thought, all East German Noble Houses were protestants.
Yes, the Mecklenburg’s were Protestant, but this current branch were originally a morganatic but re-instated branch who married into the Habsburg family and they’ve been Catholic ever since.

The Grand Ducal family of Mecklenburg-Strelitz wishing a „Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!“:

** Twitter Post **

Alexander and Hande are expecting their first child, no official announcement, but Hande shared photos of herself that show the happy news ?

** Pic ** Instagram post **

Congratulations to the couple!
And to their parents!

Prince Leopold of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, son of Hereditary Prince Alexander and Hereditary Princess Hande, was baptized in the Church of Our Savior in The Hague.

Back
Top Bottom