Royals Visiting The Pope

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, Letizia looked so beautiful during that visit!

Pope Benedict XVI poses with King Juan Carlos of Spain(L) and Queen Sofia of Spain (C) in Palazzo Apostolico Di Castel Gandolfo on September 5, 2005 in Vatican City

from getty

Attachments

• 54750735.jpg
    54750735.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 407
Lyle said:

She looked stunning - so very elegant and not totally plastered in makeup to show some respect to the church.

King Mohammed VI of Morocco (L) and Pope John Paul II during their meeting at the Vatican, 13 April 2000

from getty

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 403
I think I have understood the rule du blanc, but what happens with Christian royals who are neither Catholic nor Protestants?
As the royal family of Greece or the princely family of Yugoslavia, which are both Orthodox?
What colour should e.g. Anne Marie wear if she visited the pope? Grey? :p

She'd wear black. Orthodoxy follows the same rule as the protestants. ;)

has any royal made a state visit or official visit to the vatican yet

Hi Josephine - a few Royals have made official visits to the Vatican including King Abdullah and Queen Rania. King Albert, Queen Paola and family, Prince Albert of Monaco and then those who met the Pope at his inauguration have had private visits. Not royal but Laura Bush and Cherie Blair have now both met the Holy Father.

Infanta Cristina and iñaki visiting the Pope
00003430160011mw.jpg

00003430160027cc.jpg

from corbis

Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus of the Netherlands meeting Pope Johannes Paul II

source: ANP History

A Catholic Head of State or Head of Government need to wear white whereas a non-Catholic Head of State or Head of Government need to wear black when visiting the Pope at the Vatican.This rule does not apply when the Pope visits a Head of State or Head of Government at his or her country.

srivishnu said:
A Catholic Head of State or Head of Government need to wear white whereas a non-Catholic Head of State or Head of Government need to wear black when visiting the Pope at the Vatican.This rule does not apply when the Pope visits a Head of State or Head of Government at his or her country.

I understand that bit but Queen Margrethe II is in the Vatican and not wearing black. Does anyone understand why.

Good question...even QEII wore black when meeting Pope John Paul II with a tiara and veil attached to it, I believe..

There has to be some loophole to this as I cannot imagine MII breaching protocol on purpose.

RoyalProtocol said:
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5236/drws18lz.jpg

Why is Queen Margrethe no wearing black as protocol dicktates

When Queen Margrethe became queen in 1972 she and PrinceConsort Henrik was in a audience/stats wisit with the Pope.
They both was in black and Queen Margrethe was wearing a tiara,so she has not brocke the protocol...sadly i can´t finde any pic. of her and the Pope...not even on polfoto.dk :(

H.M. Margrethe said:
When Queen Margrethe became queen in 1972 she and PrinceConsort Henrik was in a audience/stats wisit with the Pope.
They both was in black and Queen Margrethe was wearing a tiara,so she has not brocke the protocol...sadly i can´t finde any pic. of her and the Pope...not even on polfoto.dk :(

Whenever Elizabeth II visited the 1st time she wore veil, tiara etc. The second time there was a new Pope so she repeated the formal dress code, the third time however it was still JPII and she still wore black lace, eventhough it was just a suite and hat. So does that not point to the fact that perhaps Margrethe II should still have worn black?

RoyalProtocol said:
Whenever Elizabeth II visited the 1st time she wore veil, tiara etc. The second time there was a new Pope so she repeated the formal dress code, the third time however it was still JPII and she still wore black lace, eventhough it was just a suite and hat. So does that not point to the fact that perhaps Margrethe II should still have worn black?

I don´t think so but you also have to know that thes 2 queens are from 2 diffrent kinde of generation and they migth have 2 diffrent opinions about what to wear.

Lyle said:

You are totaly right, one proof more :

( from cover )

H.M. Margrethe said:
I don´t think so but you also have to know that thes 2 queens are from 2 diffrent kinde of generation and they migth have 2 diffrent opinions about what to wear.

When it comes to the conventions and dress protocol associated with the Vatican (which is quite strict and rather clear), it falls without the monarch's discretion to decide which colour they wear. The personalities of the monarchs are irrelevant when adhering to established procedure.
[Edit: refer to post #21].

Last edited:
Von Schlesian said:
When it comes to the conventions and dress protocol associated with the Vatican (which is quite strict and rather clear), it falls without the monarch's discretion to decide which colour they wear. The personalities of the monarchs are irrelevant when adhering to established procedure.
[Edit: refer to post #21].

I quite agree, when Protocol makes clear what one should wear then you should stick to it, its like turning up to a white tie gala dinner in your jeans.
Wear black to meet the Pope in the Vatican if your not a Catholic Queen or the Grand Duchess of Luxemburg!!

Jelka said:
No, they should only wear white if he/she is king/queen, and since Letitia is Crownprinsess, but not yet a queen, she has to wear black.

only female catholic monarchs and female consorts are allowed to wear white when meeting the Holy Father:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege_(royalty)

kittencrews said:
Why did Rainier,Caroline, and Albert wear black they are Catholic?

while they are catholic, caroline is not a reigning monarch or a consort and the men must still wear black.

A.C.C. said:
The princesses of Monaco are not given le privelege du blanc, which is the right to wear white to the Vatican. The only women who can wear white to the Vatican are the Queens of Spain and Belgium, the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Princesses of Savioa, and the Archduchesses of Habsburg. All other royal women, Catholic or not must wear black to the Vatican.

this almost correct - all female reigning monarchs or female consorts are permitted to wear white when meeting the Pope as long as they're catholic. at present, these are the only women who fit that criteria. if there are women from other countries, then they too would be allowed to wear white.

A.C.C. said:
Actually, when Princess Grace of Monaco visited the Vatican, she always wore black, and i believe thats for the Liechtenstein princesses as well.

since Princess Grace was not a Queen or a consort she would not be permitted to wear white to the Vatican.

RoyalProtocol said:
I understand that bit but Queen Margrethe II is in the Vatican and not wearing black. Does anyone understand why.

although there is protocol with regards to dress colour, many people no longer practice it. i think it means more to a catholic than someone from another religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm...Princess Grace was a consort to a ruling monarch..

I also seem to remember Marina Doria wearing white to visit the Pope..

Lady Marmalade said:

Yes, I saw it too and I'm not sure according the rules that Marina Doria was right to do it because she is not a queen reigning. More as her husband had signed that he is giving up at his royal prerogatives on the italian crown to go into Italy, she never will be catholic queen.

I don't know how we have to interprate this way of doing !

Lady Marmalade said:

according to the dictionary a monarch is a sovereign such as a king or empress. Prince Ranier was a ruling prince but he wasn't a ruling monarch so that means that Grace wasn't eligible to wear white when meeting the Pope.

as for this other lady, marina doria, wearing white - well if she isn't a reigning catholic monarch then she broke protocol.

Last edited:
with regards to the black/white issue...as with many old traditions in the catholic church dressing in black/white when meeting the Holy Father is becoming less common. the white/black issue probably means more to a roman catholic (and a traditional roman catholic at that) than it does to people from other faiths. while it is protocol and does show respect for his postion, i don't think the Holy Father would hold it against anyone if they chose to wear white or any other colour.

Last edited:
Prince Ranier was a ruling prince but he wasn't a ruling monarch

Rainier was a monarch. A monarch doesn't just have to be a king or queen, If a country is ruled by a prince, a grand duke, a sultan or a sheik then that person is the monarch.

Iain said:
Rainier was a monarch. A monarch doesn't just have to be a king or queen, If a country is ruled by a prince, a grand duke, a sultan or a sheik then that person is the monarch.

here is the White Privilege according to Wikipedia:
The White Privilege, or Privilege du blanc, is a privilege held by female Catholic Monarchs whether a consort or a regnant, wherein they are allowed to wear white when in an audience with the Pope.

my aplologies about the ranier error.

so to round out the discussion - only a catholic queen or consort or regnant is permitted to wear white...not a princess. the reason princess grace did not wear white is because she is not a queen or a consort or a regnant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom