It's a Girl - Ariane Wilhelmina Máxima Ines: April 10, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henri M. said:
The Prince joked he had a 'triple A-rating' now (AAA means the best solvability and credibility in the banking world.)

:flowers:

I think they simply like it. And of course officially Amalia has two names: Catharina-Amalia, like her father has a double name as well (but is in private called 'Alexander').

thanks HenriM. The crown prince makes nice jokes every now & then. I loved what he said about when asked if he wanted a boy or another child.

PPE-agency has tons of pictures of Prince Willem Alexander has registered his new born daughter, princess Ariane Wilhelmina Maxima Ines
ANP pictures

Last edited:
Smart marketing system by the Orange-Nassaus

The Orange-Nassaus are the premier family in the Netherlands since 1403, so we may assume they know how to maintain themselves. Not for nothing their motto is: Je Maintiendrai! (I will maintain!).

In comparison with most other monarchies the Orange-Nassaus know how to 'play' the masses. Time after time a casually dressed, sweaty Alexander waves from behind the windows: 'Yes!' and then a tip-top dressed Prince presents his newest sprout, dressed in historical lace.

Then there is a day of joy, well-wishing and all in a very approachable manner but the registration itself is done with perfectionism. with formality, in the monumental old City Hall, wonderfully decorated with tasteful bouquets of flowers.

You see the same on other occasions: a vibrant smiling and interacting Queen or Prince and Princess. A day later they dazzle in historic jewels, seated behind the finest china and the most stunning gold- or silverware at long damast tables.

Then with Queen's Day they party with the crowds on a fun fair, flee markets, dancing events, etc. And on Princes' Day they ride in grand ceremonial with lots of horses, carriages, military and amidst a colourful spectacle to the Inner Court to address Parliament.

I think it is the mix of dignified ceremonial and joyoux accessibility which always has been the secret weapon of the Orange-Nassaus in the past 600 years.

Well, I have to admit the prince rather surprised me again this morning. Like with Alexia it was in a negative way, as I do not like the name for a princess of The Netherlands (the name itself is nice IMHO). Untill I just read the website of the Royal House I thought it was Ariaan instead of Ariane, which I found much worse, so my attitude is already getting more positive.

There is no other option for me to take this filosophically and 'blame' modern times for such a name for a princess that will represent my country in the future. A lady in the public made the delightfull comment 'als het beessie maar een naam heeft, het is verder een leuk kind, dan maakt de naam ook niks uit'' (as long as she has a name, other then that it is a delightfull child so the name doesn't matter that much). A sentiment I underlined.

Anyway, I hope that the name will grow on me, I do like the other names they have chosen for her, finally a Wilhelmina again. Better late then never. And at least she has the female version of one of my favourite books (by Marguerite Youcenar) AND Roman Emperor: Hadrian.

-
The ceremony itself was rather funny to watch, the vice mayor of The Hague was obviously terribly proud that she could lead the ceremony and beaming from ear to ear.

The short talk to 3 journalists was nice to. The prince told that the girls were surprised when they came home with the new baby. Alexia immediately loved it and they had to be carefull not to let her investigate it to closely. Amalia wanted to check her mothers belly first, if it was really empty and thus they didn't take the wrong baby home. The girls were only tiold Ariane's name this morning.
A lady also asked the prince if he could giva an awnser in spanish. When she asked how the small Princess is doing he first came not further then 'Muy bien', but he quickly recovered an added some more information.

Ariane, that reminds me of the French rocket...
Anyway the baby is very beautiful.

dazzling said:
HenriM, is there a reason behind why all the daughters of the CP daughters names start with an A

The Prince said that the first two A's were a coinsidence but this time they only looked for names that started with an A. He obviously forgot that his first child is called Catharina-Amalia

Does someone post the link to the video of the ceremony. I sorry if it was posted in another post, but there is 30 pages of post. I would like to see the naming ceremony. Thanks, I hope that this post does not get deleted.

Marengo said:
Well, I have to admit the prince rather surprised me again this morning. Like with Alexia it was in a negative way, as I do not like the name for a princess of The Netherlands (the name itself is not to bad IMHO). Untill I just read the website of the Royal House I thought it was Ariaan instead of Ariane, which I found much worse.

It was funny to hear the PoO say that he had not consulteed anybody about the name as it was a perogative of the parents...sadly he is right about that.

There is no other option for me to take this filosophically and 'blame' modern times for such a name for a princess that will represent my country in the future. A lady in the public made the delightfull comment 'als het beessie maar een naam heeft, het is verder een leuk kind, dan maakt de naam ook niks uit'' (as long as she has a name, other then that it is a delightfull child so the name doesn't matter that much). A sentiment I underline.

Anyway, I hope that the name will grow on me, I do like the other names they have chosen for her, finally a Wilhelmina again. Better late then never.

-
The ceremony itself was rather funny to watch, the vice mayor of The Hague was obviously terribly proud that she could lead the ceremony and beaming from ear to ear.

Hi Marengo, excellent post. I agree completely. I too was dissappointed in the name choice. but then again, she's a very healthy (and VERY cute;) baby and that's what matters most.

I do love the middle names.

the 3 girls names surprise me, though, as Beatrix chose very traditional 'house of orange' names for her 3 sons. and M and WA usually emulate Beatrix. oh well. I guess they want blaze their own trails in some areas.

msleiman said:
Does someone post the link to the video of the ceremony. I sorry if it was posted in another post, but there is 30 pages of post. I would like to see the naming ceremony. Thanks, I hope that this post does not get deleted.

A video can be found here NOSJOURNAAL - Prinsesje heet Ariane

Marengo said:
Well, I have to admit the prince rather surprised me again this morning. Like with Alexia it was in a negative way, as I do not like the name for a princess of The Netherlands (the name itself is nice IMHO).

Ariane in French
Ariana in Spanish
Ariadne in English, German and Dutch
Arianna in Italian

Ariane is a decent and chique French name;
Ariane was a daughter of the mytholical King Minos of Cnossos;
Ariane is an opera by Jules Massenet;
Ariane is the name of a famous series of European space missiles;
Ariane is the name of a Byzantine Empress in the 5th century;
Ariane is the name of an asteroid;
Ariane is a mountain-massif in Austria;
Ariane à Naxos (Ariadne auf Naxos) is an opera by Richard Strauss;
Ariane is the name of a princess of the blood royal in the Netherlands;

Last edited:
Marengo said:
There is no other option for me to take this filosophically and 'blame' modern times for such a name for a princess that will represent my country in the future. A lady in the public made the delightfull comment 'als het beessie maar een naam heeft, het is verder een leuk kind, dan maakt de naam ook niks uit'' (as long as she has a name, other then that it is a delightfull child so the name doesn't matter that much). A sentiment I underlined.

Anyway, I hope that the name will grow on me, I do like the other names they have chosen for her, finally a Wilhelmina again. Better late then never.

I agree. That's what I tthought, too. Ariane is not a very "royal" name... It sounds very common. In a way I have to think of an 40+ woman and not of a little Princess when I hear this name. It's definitely not my favourite name and , honestly, I was quite disappointed when I heard about the choice that morning. :ermm:
I'm sure the name will grow on me.. I'll get used to it.
I like the other 3 names alot. It's a great idea to take the two great-grandmother's names: Wilhelmina and Máxima.

Her_Majesty said:
I agree. That's what I tthought, too. Ariane is not a very "royal" name... It sounds very common. In a way I have to think of an 40+ woman and not of a little Princess when I hear this name. It's definitely not my favourite name and , honestly, I was quite disappointed when I heard about the choice that morning. :ermm:
I'm sure the name will grow on me.. I'll get used to it.
I like the other 3 names alot. It's a great idea to take the two great-grandmother's names: Wilhelmina and Máxima.

Food for thought: Margriet, Irene, Christina, Constantijn, Bernhard, Pieter-Christiaan, Floris, Eloise, Claus(-Casimir), Leonore, Zaria, Luana, Anastasia, Samuel, Lucas, Alexia are none of all traditional names to be found in the Orange-Nassau dynastical tree.

Marengo said:
The Prince said that the first two A's were a coinsidence but this time they only looked for names that started with an A. He obviously forgot that his first child is called Catharina-Amalia

That it true but nobody in her family refers to her as Catharina. At home she is Amalia and associated with an A name.

I love the name. It doesn't have a royal history but from now on it will. All royal names have to start somewhere. They were all new at some point in history

Change is something good to lean to sometimes. I also think that sometimes its nice to see that no everything Royals do is to do with tradition. The name is beautiful & suits today's world of royalty. The name they chose is new to the family which i guess needs a change, well th eonly change is the first name, comeing to the second & third name its family.

yes change can be a good thing. after all, beatrix and margriet are not historic Oranje names either. I guess my problem is just that I dont like the name "Ariane" very much.

btw, does anyone think it sounds an awful lot like "Ayaan" as in "Ayaan Hirsi Ali"? Im sure that was unintentional but they are quite similiar.

we expect unusual names from someone like Mabel, but WA and Maxima seem very traditional. so I'm surprised at their choices?

I was pondering it this morning as I was vacuuming my house and I think maybe the names are the result of Maxima's foreign background. she's assimilated so well I tend to forget she's not dutch.

but I remember that when they were dating I didnt like the name "Maxima" at all and was unhappy with the thought that we would get a princess with that name. When the engagement was anounced, of course, I was so enchanted by Maxima the person that I forgot all about her name.

every country has different names. she didnt grow up hearing traditional dutch names. so maybe maxima's baby name choices stem from her argentinean background.

Last edited:
I love all of the names and I think that Ariane is beautiful.

I really love her name. I am glad that slowly they are bringing the royal children into the current century with thier names but still keeping the link to the past. I think it is a wonderful choice.

Well at the end of the day, if every royal fmaily followed only the traditional names there would be alot of Wilhelms, Anna, Wilhelminas, Georges, Elizabeth, Victorias, Williams, Marys, Frederics, and not a whole lot more, so I guess that every once in a while there is at least some new names to come in and that is a good thing.

Yay, Henri's back. I'm so used to your wonderful history and commentary that I was a little lost when the name was first announced.

I don't think Ariane is a very modern name.. it's not traditional, but it's an old name.
I think it's nice that Willem-Alexander and Máxima were chosing a name that wasn't used by a Royal before... you know: I'm glad they didn't chose Wilhelmina as the first name..
Anyway... I don't like the name Ariane alot (I think I said that before.. sorry ^^). But it's a cute idea that all 3 daughters have A... names. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to see the first family pictures! When were the first family pictures released when Amalia and Alexia were born? One week after the birth?

The Story of Amalia and Alexia welcoming their little sister is so cute!
Amalia was checking if the baby is really her new sister and if mummy's belly is flat again. :lol:

Last edited:
I think Ariane is a beautiful name. It fits well with her entire name. I'm glad they picked a new first name for her.

Aurora810 said:
That's what I was wondering! Floris seems the obvious choice plus he's about to be a dad himself.

Well Beatrix had 3 sons and W-A has the opposite!

It seems that in this family you either have sons or daughters - Beatrix and her sisters, WA and his brothers and now CA and her sisters...

Henri M. said:

Yes, I just read your examples a minute ago. You've done your research!

Sidenote:
This is a little off subject but it seems that by the time these royal couples get to the third child the tradition kind of fades. Ex. Madeleine of Sweden, maybe also Cristina of Spain, Stephanie of Monaco. I can certainly imagine that at the time of Madeleine's birth her name probably seemed to many in Sweden as a very un-royal choice especially since her sister and brother carry such historic royal/family names.

Although I like the new princesses name and I think it matches up well with her sisters names.

Thank you, Marezdote, for posting the link to the video. I enjoyed listening to the little ceremony (although my Dutch is rudimentary a knowledge of English and German can take you a long way to understanding what was said). I was pleased to hear how HRH Pr Willem-Alexander pronounced the name - now I can have no doubt that I am saying it correctly!

Thanks also to Henri M for his posting on the name - which, with the examples he gave, is not really as unusual as I initially thought.

Even though the name is pretty, i don´t like it for a princess, nor even in Spanish, Ariana, it sounds very ordinary and common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom