Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List and Photographs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Squidgy said:
The "Just like a woman" premiere was Sept. 24 1992. Here's another picture from Tim Graham. Diana's wearing her beautiful Prince of Wales feather necklace.
Is that thePrince of Wales feather brooch/pendant from the Duchess of Windsor auction? If memory serves, didn't Prince charles purchase that for her in happier days? Either way, she was always a stunner and a huge boon to British tourism and commerce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Diana's Prince of Wales feathers pendant - I posted information today (Post 158) in Diana's Jewellery thread about it.

umbrellagirl said:
Day 2 or day 3 of Ascot, 1981 (I find conflicting dates for these 2 days -- anybody know which was Wed. and which Thurs?)

Photos: 1. Anwar Hussein; 2. Bob Thomas/Alamy

I remember seeing photos of this outfit at the time and saying how pretty Diana looked. My brother-in-law remarked, "She looks like a clown." I was offended on her behalf, but now, looking back, I gotta agree -- he was right.:p

Maybe you thought it was pretty at the time? Was it fashionable in 1981? I know, now it is very funny! But she was so cute, it makes it ok when anyone else would look scary in that! I have a question about the photo of her with two friends. She had so many friends from her Sloaney days and I never remember who is who. Does anyone know who they are in this pic?

In these Ascot pictures from 1981-1985 you can see how Diana matured into her own fasion.

I really started this thread because I hoped to find more pics of Diana and the little royals. I love how she used to bond with all the various royal kids like Rose and Davina Windsor at this event. But in the end, it was still very interesting to observe things, like she was always with the Queen Mother in the procession, except in 1981 as Lady Diana with Prince Andrew. Maybe I can find those others, though. :whistling:

As far as I can tell, Diana only attended four premieres in 1990.

Feb. 7 1990 Steel Magnolias (Also, Kwanfan posted a picture in post #4)
(Photos: Hola, Tim Graham)

April 17 1990 The Hunt for Red October
(photos: Hola, Royalty Magazine)

July 10 1990 Back to the Future III
(photos: Ken Goff, PDV)

Dec. 13 1990 Hobson's Choice (Kwanfan also posted a picture in post #4)
(Photo: Unseen Archives, Daily Mail) Was this a film or a play?

CasiraghiTrio said:
... I have a question about the photo of her with two friends. She had so many friends from her Sloaney days and I never remember who is who. Does anyone know who they are in this pic?
In the photos she is with her detective Graham Smith (who died of cancer in the early 1990's) and I think Catherine Weatherall Soames, who was married the first week of June 1981, shortly before Ascot. Remember Diana wore her striking red hat with large bow at the wedding?

umbrellagirl said:
Day 2 or day 3 of Ascot, 1981:

Photos: 1.Anwar Hussein; 2.Tim Graham/Getty Images; 3.Bettmann/Corbis/APL

Se looks so gorgeous in that dress. I could never pull it off.

gfg02 said:
This was fashion in the 1980's

Some of the eighties fashions were nice. Many of them were decent and kids could dress like actual kids.

Lady Jean said:
In the photos she is with her detective Graham Smith (who died of cancer in the early 1990's) and I think Catherine Weatherall Soames, who was married the first week of June 1981, shortly before Ascot. Remember Diana wore her striking red hat with large bow at the wedding?

Hmm, no I don't recall that but I probably would know it if I saw it. Catherine Soames, of course! They were friends for such a long time. To the very end!

Well, I think that Diana & Catherine Soames had a falling out in 1995 and never patched things up.

On the other hand, Diana did remain on good terms with Inspector Graham Smith. When he was struggling with cancer, she would bring him along with her on her holidays abroad, not as a bodyguard, but as a guest. She even attended his funeral, along with her sister Sarah, in 1993.

Thank you so much for posting these photos. I always felt that Diana was her prettiest during 1984 when pregnant with Harry. And that cream dress with the cream and brown trimmed hat was one of my favourites.

Thanks for sharing those pics! Isn't it amazing that she wore that blue sequinned number (Hunt for Red October) only 3 months before wearing the beautiful pearl-covered one? They look like they should be a generation apart at least!

Princess Diana Photos

I want to thank everyone who sent photos and info. I really enjoyed viewing these beautiful photos. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

does one of the photos (i can't remember which one, one of the first ones) show fergie poking someone with an umbrella and diana laughing about it? i heard they did that one time at ascot, and the queen was not amused about it. sorry if its a little off topic, but i didn't know where else to ask.

thanks for the pictures... very funny to look at, but hard to imagine they'd do such an immature thing at their age.

I remember when the umbrella pictures were first shown and Diana and Sarah were criticized in the media. I had read in a magazine that they were talked to by Charles and Her Majesty who both were not amused. One victim of the umbrella was Princess Michael of Kent. Thank you for the pictures Eman some I've never seen before.

What time a year is the trooping ceremony ?

Thank you to all who have posted pictures. Diana was always the most elegantly dressed. I loved seeing the children on the balcony and their reactions to the festivities.

Many thanks for all these pictures CasiraghiTrio :flowers: . Love Diana in 1991, 1992 :wub: .

huge diana admirer

Hello to you all,
this is my first post here; I am from Austria (don't be confused about my nickname I am female) and I collect Diana pictures since I was 11. I spent all my pocket money in magazines with her pictures in it.
Last year I decided to make a life time project. I want to make a diary with all her pictures and her engagements from 1981 til 1997. It is really hard work but I love it. And now it seems I found the perfect forum to talk to you about rare pictures and dates. I allready glanced through your polo and Ascot sides throughout her years, trooping the colour etc. it is great.
Does anybody else do a project like mine, I would like to hear about it?
I also would like to answer your questions about Diana. For me she is the most wonderful person in the whole world and nobody not inside the royal circle nor any celebrety oudside comes even close to her.

In that page there's a link with all her engagements between 1981 and 1997 although I think the link is broken. Maybe a moderator will fix that. I remember it was very complete and detailed. I hope it will be fixed soon so you can find some good things in it.

TheTruth, I'm not seeing any broken links; which one do you mean?

It's coming up OK for me; it's a list of her engagements.

Is anyone else not seeing it?

Thank you all for your warm welcome. The link about her engagments is fine with me, I can see it. I think it will take me a while looking at all your posted messages, I started with the polo engagements and your postings already helped me a lot, special thanks to the Lady in Canada.
I just have a question about posting pictures. What if I don't have any source of the picture, only that it is an old clipping from a German magazine. I do have some where I don't know the engagement or the date, am I allowed to post them so you can help me find the fitting engagement?
I also have to get an icon for me, you all have such great ones, how do I put the icon in my messages?

Welcome to the forums. I am relatively new myself. I also have collected photos of Diana since 1980 and I have 20 or more scrapbooks going in chronalogical order. I had a friend in England who would mail me packets of clippings from the papers in U.K. so my scrapbooks are well filled. How are you documenting all of her engagements? Are they in scrapbooks or would you be able to ever post what you have? Look forward to your additions to the forum!

As I was very young in the 80ies I have a huge collection with just clippings from German magazines, but often don't know which engagement or day it is and I also don't know the correct source. So I don't know if I am allowed to post such photos, because I saw you all mentioned either the book or the photographer. They are all in srapebooks but I also have a scanner so I think that wouldn't be the problem. As I am doing a diary of all of her engaments I do scan photos from my scrapbook, books, magazines and put it in my computer diary and I have an extra egagement diary in excel at the moment, the pictures all have the .jpg extention, your collection also sounds huge do you only have the pictures or do you also know when and where they were taken? But I do have some photos in my collection which I never saw in any of the Diana books or majesty or royalty magazine, so with them they are hard to identify

Back
Top Bottom