Diana, Princess of Wales Picture Thread 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, thats rare! I hadn´t seen it before either... where did you find it?
Looks like its from the summer of 1997, because of the company and the hairstyle
i found it at a Princess Diana group(yahoo)..wanted to be sure whether its from july or aug97...true its a rare one

Great picture Skk! Yes, as Yennie guessed, it was taken in the summer of 1997, while she was holidaying with Dodi. I think Paris Match gives the exact date as July 19th.:)
thanks for the date ;)

Vanesa said:
This last pic makes me sad, for it reminds me that she should die little time after it was taken...She looked so happy with Dodi Al-Fayed! If life was like a fairy tale, Diana must have end her days living with Dodi and Charles with Camilla...Sadly, life is life, and only Charles could find his happiness and enjoy it for a longtime. :(

Vanesa.

thats so true n i agree with u..all the pics i have seen of that summer she seemed happy....it really breaks my heart too that things had to end they way they did :(

Last edited by a moderator:
in the last one posted, it looks like Diana is not feeling very well :rolleyes:

wonder what she was doing?

Yennie said:
in the last one posted, it looks like Diana is not feeling very well :rolleyes:

wonder what she was doing?

it was reported in some books that she was photographed dropping ice cubes at dodi n william so i guess this is the pic..

She was a lovely beautiful princess I miss her every day! I hope that she is happy now with Dodi in heaven.

Thank you so much for the beautiful photos and comments. Diana was truly a beautiful person, most importantly on the inside. She really cared!

When she was with Charles, Princess Diana seemed to be sad and melancholic; with Dodi Al-Fayed, she was always smiling and happy. As well as when Charles is with Camilla. In older pics, being with Diana, he seems to be bored, far from her.

Other thing I noticed seeing the pics, is that William and Harry were always smiling when Diana and Dodi were together. They seemed to have accepted him as their mother's love, as well as they accepted Camilla as their father 's new wife.

Vanesa.

dianafan said:
She was a lovely beautiful princess I miss her every day! I hope that she is happy now with Dodi in heaven.

WOW...what an awesome pic! what a nice thing to have.

beautiful women and even more beautiful spirit, rest in peace.

pretty! I´ve never seen a formal photo of Diana and her family before... when was it taken?

Well she has her hair up and she only did that fall of 1987 and spring 1989 I think this MIGHT be May 12'89 Countess Raine Spencer's 60th birthday and you could see a picture possibly being taken of Diana with her father and only brother. As I said in the other thread this was taken by a fan who visited Althorp seen this on the mantel and took a picture of her. She's wearing the one sleeved Hachi gown first won in 1983.

I'm surprised she wore the Hachi dress with the emerald choker. Each one is stunning, but together...hmm I don't know. So if this is 1989 she is recycling the Hachi (one of her best) 6 years later! Wow.

Yes it's a bit odd wearing the emerald & diamond art deco choker remember she nearly always worn those long drop diamond & emerald earrings with this choker she might even have it on here can't really tell. I guess it was private and she was thinking why not??? She worn the hachi in 1989 the next month too to the "License to Kill" movie. So she worn it three times in 1983, once in 1985 in Washington then twice more in 1989 then no more until the testino pix in 1997.

You're right she must have looked forward to private events when she knew the press etc. could not comment on her outfits. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to much to see her in the various gowns that surfaced during the auction (like you said, total surprises) - pictures of her in them at events, not later for the Testino pix. I guess I'll be grateful that the auction at least helped us learn more about her collection.

I love that picture of Diana with her father & brother! Thanks Canadiana:)

I'm sure that Diana attended a lot of private formal parties, but unfortunately we rarely see pictures from them. This is such a treat.

I know it may sound strange but I thought that Diana looked her best during her pregnancy with Prince Harry. Her hair was wonderful and she didn't even look pregnant. But I did notice their were hardly any pictures of her taken from August 1984 to Harry's birth. Does anyone have any rare photos from that time period?

pendragon said:
great pic! very lovely! is there anywhere one of this without flash?

NO this was taken by someone visiting Althorp so guess we just have to be happy she could take it.:D Can you imagine all the pix like this that was taken of diana we've never seen.:eek:

These photos are great.
What was the event when she is depicted in the summer/fall 1984 with a bright blue sweater, plaid skirt, and is leaving a building (hospital?) on what looks like a private visit, she looks serious or sad. Her long hair is back in barrettes or combs. These pictures are in the photo album in the first post of the "Diana with long hair" thread.

Last edited:
Lady Jean said:
These photos are great.
What was the event when she is depicted in the summer/fall 1984 with a bright blue sweater, plaid skirt, and is leaving a building (hospital?) on what looks like a private visit, she looks serious or sad. Her long hair is back in barrettes or combs. These pictures are in the photo album in the first post of the "Diana with long hair" thread.
Wearing the bright blue sweater and plaid skirt, she was visiting one of her sisters in the hospital, who had just given birth. It was in November; I think the baby was born Nov. 10. I'll have to check on which sister it was.

Lady Jean said:
These photos are great.

Okay, I found the info. I was remembering the date wrong. According to Young Royals mag Jan/Feb 85, Diana's sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale gave birth to a son on November 17, 1984. Diana visited her at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington. This was when she wore the blue sweater and plaid skirt, with her hair in the 40's "Veronica Lake" style. I'm assuming the visit was on the 17th or 18th.

Thank you so much for checking this so quickly. Another mystery (for me) solved!

umbrellagirl said:
Okay, I found the info. I was remembering the date wrong. According to Young Royals mag Jan/Feb 85, Diana's sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale gave birth to a son on November 17, 1984. Diana visited her at St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington. This was when she wore the blue sweater and plaid skirt, with her hair in the 40's "Veronica Lake" style. I'm assuming the visit was on the 17th or 18th.

Great detective work Umbrellagirl! :) You're very close with the date - I have it as Nov. 19th from a newspaper article I have. I didn't always like Diana with her hair long, but I thought she looked nice on this day.

Please continue the post the newspaper pictures! :) Also the black and white photography is a nice change (I think the b and w photos in the wonderful "Unseen Archives" book are just as good as the color ones).
I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves seeing these "events," no matter how mundane (driving in her car, shopping) and learning more about her.

Last edited:
Re:The Aug. 1, 1984, shopping photo (post 118 above):
That blue dress looks to me as if it's cut on the exact same pattern as the pink one (except maybe the sleeves are a bit shorter--or just pushed up?)
I wonder why she didn't wear the blue dress more often, and give the pink one a rest. She wore it so much that summer.
She also wore both those dresses when she was NOT pregnant. Remember, she wore the pink one to Carolyn Pride Bartholomew's wedding on Sep. 3, 1982. And at polo in Australia on Easter Sunday, Apr. 3, 1983, she wore a blue dress that appears to me to be this one, although she wore a blazer over it so the sleeves can't be seen.

Thank you to all of you who found these pictures. I don't know why I thought of it but I just realized looking through some of my old Diana books that there were very very few pictures taken during that two month time period. Oddly it seems that Diana did more engagments during William's pregnancy than she did when pregnant will Harry. She seemed to be off duty between mid July 1984 until October 1984.

Thanks again!!

OK, after looking over the pictures I noticed two things:

1. how small Diana was during her pregnancy, she didn't show anywhere but her belly

2. how much personal tragedy happened to Diana in 1984 with two deaths in the family.

I thought her pregnancy with William was more difficult yet she did carry out many engagements.

Not much has been said about her uncle's suicide and how it affected her. I would have thought that would have been covered more by her various biographers, but maybe for once a delicate subject was left alone.

Last edited:
Squidgy said:
Great detective work Umbrellagirl! :) You're very close with the date - I have it as Nov. 19th from a newspaper article I have. I didn't always like Diana with her hair long, but I thought she looked nice on this day.

I agree. In the summer and fall of 1984, when her hair was the longest it ever was, it seemed to me to be TOO MUCH hair. It was out of control. (Diana had very thick hair. She once said something like, "No matter how short they cut my hair, there's always a lot of it.") However, I did really like the so-called 40's hairstyle, with part of the hair pulled back at the sides and held by barrettes or combs. That was an utterly charming look.

P.S. Thank you for the definitive date of the hospital visit.:)

The long hair was okay - I guess I prefer it to her c. 1991-1993 look which was too short and curly. My favorite hairstyles were the early K.Shanley days, the early days of the 1990 new style, and the last year of her life.

Last edited:
umbrellagirl said:
Re:The Aug. 1, 1984, shopping photo (post 118 above):
That blue dress looks to me as if it's cut on the exact same pattern as the pink one (except maybe the sleeves are a bit shorter--or just pushed up?)
I wonder why she didn't wear the blue dress more often, and give the pink one a rest. She wore it so much that summer.
She also wore both those dresses when she was NOT pregnant. Remember, she wore the pink one to Carolyn Pride Bartholomew's wedding on Sep. 3, 1982. And at polo in Australia on Easter Sunday, Apr. 3, 1983, she wore a blue dress that appears to me to be this one, although she wore a blazer over it so the sleeves can't be seen.
Yeah, the two dresses do look very similar in style. (And yes, the dress she wore in Australia at polo is the same as she wore on Aug 1 1984.)

You know, no matter how many times she wore it, I always loved the pink version. Maybe because the first picture I saw of her in it was such a delightful one. It was published in Life magazine in the fall of 1982. Diana is at Carolyn's wedding & she's leaning against the wall. Life's describtion of the picture: "Diana ... drew the usual admirers and responded with girlish toes-up delight."

I loved this picture. I was afraid that Diana, having just given birth to William and having been in the RF for over a year now, would start becoming formal, stiff, etc. But then I saw this picture and realized I had no reason to worry.

Photo: Keith Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom