Orders and Decorations of the Prince and Princess of Wales

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbruno

Majesty
City
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
I don't know exactly where to post this question, but which foreign honors are the King and the Queen Consort, and the new Prince and Princess of Wales likely to receive in the coming years following Charles III's accession ?

Please reply based on: (1) the countries that are realistically expected to have state visits to or from the UK, and (2) the current policies in those countries regarding awarding of honors to foreign kings, queens consort, crown princes and consorts of crown princes. Please also take into the consideration honors that King Charles III already held as Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly where to post this question, but which foreign honors are the King and the Queen Consort, and the new Prince and Princess of Wales likely to receive in the coming years following Charles III's accession ?

Please reply based on: (1) the countries that are realistically expected to have state visits to or from the UK, and (2) the current policies in those countries regarding awarding of honors to foreign kings, queens consort, crown princes and consorts of crown princes. Please also take into the consideration honors that King Charles III already held as Prince of Wales.

A state visit from Sweden (my homecountry) will based on the current practice see Charles recive the Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (he’s already a Knight since 1975), Camilla become a member of the Royal Order of the Seraphim, William become a Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (without the collar) and Catherine become a Member Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Polar Star.

The King of Sweden is already as could be seen on monday, a Knight of the Order of the Garter and a recipient och the Royal Victorian Chain… And if UK continues with their tradition of not give any orders to spouses of the Head of State, i expect no new orders in that direction…

If the planned incoming state visit from Japan that was cancelled during the pandemic is rescheduled, it will see Charles recive the Collar of the Supreme Order of the Chrysantemum (he’s already a Knight since 1971), Camilla become a Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown, William become a Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysantemum (without the collar) and Catherine become a Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown.

The Emperor of Japan will most likely in Return be made a Supernumerary Knight of the Order of the Garter.

Last edited:
A state visit from Sweden (my homecountry) will based on the current practice see Charles recive the Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (he’s already a Knight since 1975), Camilla become a member of the Royal Order of the Seraphim, William become a Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (without the collar) and Catherine become a Member Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Polar Star.

The King of Sweden is already as could be seen on monday, a Knight of the Order of the Garter and a recipient och the Royal Victorian Chain… And if UK continues with their tradition of not give any orders to spouses of the Head of State, i expect no new orders in that direction…

If the planned incoming state visit from Japan that was cancelled during the pandemic is rescheduled, it will see Charles recive the Collar of the Supreme Order of the Chrysantemum (he’s already a Knight since 1971), Camilla become a Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown, William become a Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysantemum (without the collar) and Catherine become a Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown.

The Emperor of Japan will most likely in Return be made a Supernumerary Knight of the Order of the Garter.

Thanks for your excellent information about Sweden and Japan. Here are some state visits that I think might happen in the next years and possible associated honors:

1) Outgoing visit to France: the King is already a Grand Cross of the Order of Legion of Honour and the Queen Consort is already a Grand Cross of the Order of National Merit, so I expect no new awards.

2) Outgoing visit to Germany: I believe neither the King nor the Queen Consort hold any German honor, so I expect the Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany to be awarded to both of them.

3) Outgoing visit to Spain: that is a difficult one. The King already has the Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Charles III; I expect him to be made a Knight of the Golden Fleece (which is by personal discretion of the Spanish monarch) , but the Spanish government may also approve the awarding of the Collar of the Order of Charles III to the British King and of the Grand Cross of the same order to the Queen Consort. Alternatively, the Queen Consort may be given the lower Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic, but I find that unlikely.

4) Outgoing visit to the Netherlands: the King already has the Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau and the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown; I expect that both the King and the Queen Consort will be further awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion.

5) Incoming visit from Belgium: apparently neither the King nor the Queen Consort have any Belgian order. If there is an incoming visit by King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, I expect King Philippe to award the Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold to King Charles III, to the Queen Consort, and possibly also to the Prince of Wales; the Princess of Wales will probably be awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown.

6) Incoming (?) visit from Sweden: if there is an incoming visit from King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, I concur that the most likely scenario is for the Swedish monarch to award the Collar of the Order of the Seraphim to King Charles III (who is already a Knight) and extend membership in the same order (without collar) to the Queen Consort and the Prince of Wales; the Princess of Wales should get the Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star.

I don't expect incoming or outgoing visits from/to Denmark and Norway, but the King is already a Knight of the Order of the Elephant and a Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of St Olav, so any new awards would be for the Queen Consort only, and maybe the Prince of Wales.

On the British side, I have a suspicion that King Charles III will abandon his mother's precedent (if the courtiers approve it) and start decorating queens consort. In that scenario, I expect Queens Letizia, Maxima, Silvia and Mathilde to be made Honorary Dames Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, but that may be wishful thinking on my part! Kings Felipe, Willem-Alexander, Carl Gustaf and Harald, and Queen Margrethe are already Knights/Lady of the Garter and I expect King Philippe to become a Knight of the Garter too if there is an incoming Belgian state visit. President Macron might become a Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath.

Last edited:
Thanks for your excellent information about Sweden and Japan. Here are some state visits that I think might happen in the next years and possible associated honors:

1) Outgoing visit to France: the King is already a Grand Cross of the Order of Legion of Honour and the Queen Consort is already a Grand Cross of the Order of National Merit, so I expect no new awards.

2) Outgoing visit to Germany: I believe neither the King nor the Queen Consort hold any German honor, so I expect the Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany to be awarded to both of them.

3) Outgoing visit to Spain: that is a difficult one. The King already has the Grand Cross of the Spanish Order of Charles III; I expect him to be made a Knight of the Golden Fleece (which is by personal discretion of the Spanish monarch) , but the Spanish government may also approve the awarding of the Collar of the Order of Charles III to the British King and of the Grand Cross of the same order to the Queen Consort. Alternatively, the Queen Consort may be given the lower Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic, but I find that unlikely.

4) Outgoing visit to the Netherlands: the King already has the Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau and the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown; I expect that both the King and the Queen Consort will be further awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion.

5) Incoming visit from Belgium: apparently neither the King nor the Queen Consort have any Belgian order. If there is an incoming visit by King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, I expect King Philippe to award the Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold to King Charles III, to the Queen Consort, and possibly also to the Prince of Wales; the Princess of Wales will probably be awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown.

6) Incoming (?) visit from Sweden: if there is an incoming visit from King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, I concur that the most likely scenario is for the Swedish monarch to award the Collar of the Order of the Seraphim to King Charles III (who is already a Knight) and extend membership in the same order (without collar) to the Queen Consort and the Prince of Wales; the Princess of Wales should get the Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star.

I don't expect incoming or outgoing visits from/to Denmark and Norway, but the King is already a Knight of the Order of the Elephant and a Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of St Olav, so any new awards would be for the Queen Consort only, and maybe the Prince of Wales.

On the British side, I have a suspicion that King Charles III will abandon his mother's precedent (if the courtiers approve it) and start decorating queens consort. In that scenario, I expect Queens Letizia, Maxima, Silvia and Mathilde to be made Honorary Dames Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, but that may be wishful thinking on my part! Kings Felipe, Willem-Alexander, Carl Gustaf and Harald, and Queen Margrethe are already Knights/Lady of the Garter and I expect King Philippe to become a Knight of the Garter too if there is an incoming Belgian state visit. President Macron might become a Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath.

Both Queen Silvia and Queen Sofia have Ordre national de la Légion d'honneur so i don’t think its impossible that Camilla will recive it during a state visit to France…

Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany will definitely be given to both Charles and Camilla

I fully expect Charles to recive the Spanish Order of the Golden Fleece… The Spanish and British Royals are very close… Much like the BeNeLux-Royals and the Scandinavian Royals are…
Camilla will then most likely be made a Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Carlos III…

If there is a State visit from Luxembourg i would expect Charles to be ”upgraded” to the Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau and Camilla to be given the same…
William would most likely be given the Order of the Oak Crown

The Grand Duke of Luxembourg who is already a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, will most likely be made a Supernumerary Knight of the Order of the Garter in return.

I have never understood why the BRF don’t use their ”house order” The Royal Victorian Order to decorate female consorts… Prince Henrik of Denmark and Prince Bernhard and Prince Claus of Netherlands were all decorated so i have never understood what the problem is when it comes to not givning any orders to female consorts…

Republic heads of state tends to be decorated either with the Order of the Bath or the Order of St Michael and St George..

Last edited:
I certainly hope the King will start to award Orders to foreign Queen Consorts, but that could be difficult. For example if Queen Letizia gets one during the lifetime of Queen Sofia that would a slap into Sofia's face.

I also never understand why foreign Prince Consorts got british Orders but not Queen Consorts who after all are higher ranking.

I also never understand why foreign Prince Consorts got british Orders but not Queen Consorts who after all are higher ranking.

It might be from old-fashioned ideas of marriage and precedence. Wives sharing in their husbands' rank but not the other way around. So in that view, much as Prince Philip was a prince and HRH in his own right rather than by marriage, princes Henrik, Claus, etc. were members of their houses in their own capacities, rather than as mere spouses (no matter how they might be viewed domestically), and they would be honoured much as any other blood royal.

Mind you, it's been 121 years since Queen Alexandra received the Garter from her husband, so if this is the issue, it's more than a little hypocritical.

Three politicians and a spouse to a politician were created hereditary peer (and they were the last creations outside the royal family as well).

William Whitelaw, 1st Viscount Whitelaw (best known as Home Secretary under Thatcher)

George Thomas, 1st Viscount Tonypandy (best known as Speaker of the House of Commons)

Harold MacMillan, 1st Earl of Stockton, Viscount MacMillan of Ovenden (best known as Prime Minister)

Denis Thatcher, 1st Baronet (spouse to former Prime Minister Thatcher)

My guess is that Mr Thatcher was given (the lowest possible) hereditary peerage instead of Mrs Thatcher because she was not able to pass a title to her son and bestowing it on Denis was a solution.
Even Lloyd George was given a peerage and he was very prominent in Parliament Act 1911. And H.H Asquith too.

It might be from old-fashioned ideas of marriage and precedence. Wives sharing in their husbands' rank but not the other way around. So in that view, much as Prince Philip was a prince and HRH in his own right rather than by marriage, princes Henrik, Claus, etc. were members of their houses in their own capacities, rather than as mere spouses (no matter how they might be viewed domestically), and they would be honoured much as any other blood royal.

Mind you, it's been 121 years since Queen Alexandra received the Garter from her husband, so if this is the issue, it's more than a little hypocritical.

In that case Queen Máxima should have received the same British orders as her predecessors (spouses of the monarch) as she was also made a princess in her own right - just like the prince consorts before her.

Last edited:

Do you expect the Prince and Princess of Wales to tag along on outgoing state visits? If they don't, I don't expect them to receive many foreign orders in the next few years - as according to protocol Charles is now very junior and will need to go on outgoing state visits first before being able to receive them (although I wouldn't be surprised if they found ways around that by having Charles making a short official visit and deeming that sufficient for him to receive the HoS of that country for a state visit if they so wished).

Back
Top Bottom