Diana and Non-British Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am really interested in this picture. Could you share more details on it, gfg02? Who is the gentleman with these five royal ladies - Queen Noor, Queen Anne-Marie, Princess Diana, Duchess of Kent and Princess Michael of Kent.

I believe the photo was taken around 1992. The gentleman is Dr. George Pinkerton, an OBGYN. He delivered babies for all the ladies in the picture, including Diana.

Diana doesn´t have a close relationship with Non-British Royalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Princess looked lovely in her suit.

Almost six feet tall in high heels, yet making the deepest and most graceful curtsy EVER.;)

How she was she treated by the other non-british royals?

What kind of relationships she had with them ?

Diana met with several members of foreign royalty at various events. But I think it was just that.

Diana met with several members of foreign royalty at various events. But I think it was just that.

She seemed to get along well with Queen Beatrix, Queen Sofia and Princess Grace.

I don't think she had much contact (or any contact at all?) with other non-British royals after she and Prince Charles separated.

She seemed to get along well with Queen Beatrix, Queen Sofia and Princess Grace.

I don't think she had much contact (or any contact at all?) with other non-British royals after she and Prince Charles separated.

I'd add King Juan Carlos and the Spanish royals to your list.

I agree that after the separation they didn't appear in public together,

Diana didn't interact with the "royal" aspect of things after the divorce. After the divorce, anything she did was her own personal events and she didn't represent the British Royal Family or the "Firm" at all.

Didn't she (or someone) once say something about Juan Carlos propositioning her? :/

After the death of King Baudouin, I saw photos of her being received at tea by Queen Fabiola.

Queen Paola and Princess Astrid were present. I remember that Baudouin's dog Toby was in the photo as well.

I have no idea if this was a private visit or if Diana was in Belgium in connection with a charity...and Baudouin's widow invited her to visit as a courtesy.

All three women were seated at a table.

Didn't she (or someone) once say something about Juan Carlos propositioning her? :/

That rumor has floated around for a long time but there's never really been anything credible to support it that I know of so I don't bother mentioning that rumor.

I think Ken Wharfe mentioned that trip to Spain in his book "Diana: A Closely Guarded Secret" but for the life of me, I don't remember him mentioning any overtures at all. Then again, it's been years since I read the book.

Last edited:
The Fabiola/Diana photos are available in Google images....but I was unable to copy them here via my phone device.:sad:

Maybe someone knows how....

:previous: That's it...thank you Osipi!:flowers:

I remember reading that Buckingham Palace was cool to the idea of the newly widowed Fabiola extending an invitation to Diana to visit her at Laeken, but Fabiola would not hear of snubbing her.

The visit took place on October 25 1993.

I found a link to Fabiola and Diana having tea together on Pinterest.

Thanks for the photo. I wasn't aware that Diana had even met Queen Fabiola, much less Queen Paola, but now that I am thinking about it, Baudouin and Fabiola attended Charles and Diana's wedding, so they must have been at least introduced to each other at the wedding reception.

There was no Belgian state visit to the UK while Diana was married (and actually none thereafter either), so I always assumed the British and Belgian RFs were not very close. Also, I don't think Queen Fabiola visited the UK privately as Queens Beatrix, Margarethe and Sofia often did/ do.

Diana was not divorced yet in 1993, so I guess she was still regarded as a member of the British RF.

Last edited:
:previous: That's it...thank you Osipi!:flowers:

I remember reading that Buckingham Palace was cool to the idea of the newly widowed Fabiola extending an invitation to Diana to visit her at Laeken, but Fabiola would not hear of snubbing her.

From what I know of both King Baudouin and his Queen Fabiola, there is so much to admire them for as being good people. I imagine that Diana and Fabiola got along very, very well as Fabiola doesn't come across to me as a person that would allow standing and rank to affect her interactions with another human being. She reflected her faith in all that she did and Diana was also a very empathetic and compassionate woman towards those she met. I'm sure they both were able to communicate on a wonderful level between the two of them personally and not as if it was a "formal duty".

Thanks for the photo. I wasn't aware that Diana had even met Queen Fabiola, much less Queen Paola, but now that I am thinking about it, Baudouin and Fabiola attended Charles and Diana's wedding, so they must have been at least introduced to each other at the wedding reception.

There was no Belgian state visit to the UK while Diana was married (and actually none thereafter either), so I always assumed the British and Belgian RFs were not very close. Also, I don't think Queen Fabiola visited the UK privately as Queens Beatrix, Margarethe and Sofia often did/ do.

Diana was not divorced yet in 1993, so I guess she was still regarded as a member of the British RF.

If I'm not mistaken, the funeral of King Bauduoin was one time that the Queen broke her normal protocol of never attending funerals and actually traveled with Philip to Belgium to be there for the funeral. In fact, I believe it was stated that this was the *only* foreign state funeral she has attended.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/07/31/king-baudouins-funeral/

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the funeral of King Bauduoin was one time that the Queen broke her normal protocol of never attending funerals and actually traveled with Philip to Belgium to be there for the funeral. In fact, I believe it was stated that this was the *only* foreign state funeral she has attended.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/07/31/king-baudouins-funeral/

Honestly I have always wondered why she made that exception. Baudouin was her third cousin, but, again, I don't think they were personally close. The funeral mass itself was also somewhat chaotic as you can see on the Youtube video. The Brussels cathedral was undergoing renovations at the time and Queen Fabiola, who was sometimes weird with her religious beliefs, made all the guests wear bright colors, which neither Paola nor indeed Queen Elizabeth adhered to, as both wore black. Also, there was the famous gaffe by Prince Philip, who showed up wearing the sash of some African order which he mistook for the Belgian order of Leopold. Maybe her attendance had to do with Baudouin being at the time the longest reigning monarch in Europe (?).

Anyway, going back to Diana and Fabiola, what you said might even be true, but, in this case, I think it was more along the line of Diana, who was still officially the Princess of Wales at the time, being in Belgium and receiving a courtesy invitation for tea at Laeken.

Last edited:
Honestly I have always wondered why she made that exception. Baudouin was her third cousin, but, again, I don't think they were personally close. The funeral mass itself was also somewhat chaotic as you can see on the Youtube video. The Brussels cathedral was undergoing renovations at the time and Queen Fabiola, who was sometimes weird with her religious beliefs, made all the guests wear bright colors, which neither Paola nor indeed Queen Elizabeth adhered to, as both wore black. Also, there was the famous gaffe by Prince Philip, who showed up wearing the sash of some African order which he mistook for the Belgian order of Leopold. Maybe her attendance had to do with Baudouin being at the time the longest reigning monarch in Europe (?).

Anyway, going back to Diana and Fabiola, what you said might even be true, but, in this case, I think it was more along the line of Diana, who was still officially the Princess of Wales at the time, being in Belgium and receiving a courtesy invitation for tea at Laeken.

Not so weird for me. Some people, especially in the Catholic church where both Fabiola and Baudouin were adherents of, sometimes see a funeral service as a celebration of life. I requested that the females of my immediate family all wore white when my father passed. My mom, sidekick to the Pope and nicknamed Sister Mary Vacuum Cleaner compromised. She wore black with white polka dots. :D

We'll never know the reasons why but it's safe to say that the tea between Fabiola and Diana went well.

:previous: Agree...I can imagine the two Royal women being very sympathetic despite the fact that they were from different generations, different personalities and outlooks.

I sometimes wonder if Diana would have insisted on attending Fabiola's funeral (if she had lived to do so) despite the BRF's incomprehensible (imo) decision to send no representation?

Oh well. Idle speculation.

:previous: Agree...I can imagine the two Royal women being very sympathetic despite the fact that they were from different generations, different personalities and outlooks.

I sometimes wonder if Diana would have insisted on attending Fabiola's funeral (if she had lived to do so) despite the BRF's incomprehensible (imo) decision to send no representation?

Oh well. Idle speculation.

Diana, in 2014 would have been free to do whatever she pleased and wouldn't have had to "ask" anyone for permission to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral. I don't know if she'd be able to contact TPTB in Belgium and arrange to be there as a VIP or have to be part of the public gathering to mourn.

Years ago a well-known & respected royalty author / blogger wrote repeatedly on the Warholm boards that the sole reason for Queen Elizabeth II to make an exception was that she was strongly adviced to do so by her advisors. The poll numbers were rather low after the 1992-disaster year. And since the queen had no prior engagements -she was on her summer break at Balmoral- it would look bad if she did not attend while everybody else did (the emperor of Japan, president Mitterand of France etc).

--
Back to Diana: at the time of her funeral it was said on Dutch television that only royals with whom the princess had a personal connection were invited to the funeral. Princess Margriet of The Netherlands was supposedly there on a personal basis and it was said they knew each other due to their mutual involvement in the Red Cross. I have no idea if this was actually true and can find no photos of the two of them together.

Last edited:
In his last book Prince Michael of Greece wrote that Diana was universally blacklisted by European Royals after the divorce and that absolutely evryone sided with Charles ...

Back
Top Bottom