Princess Caroline's Alopecia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, she never looked like someone going through chemotherapy.

Breast cancer is not caused by smoking cigarettes.

Hi CT-

I don't believe that smoking causes breast cancer, but there is medical and clinical proof that smoking does weaken and compromise a person's overall immune system.

So this addiction would certainly work against the body's natural ability to fend off disease.

^Yeah, maybe. I don't actually know about cigarettes' effect on immune system. But I still don't believe she had cancer. For one thing, the press at the time was all over that "alopecia story" (even US People jumped on it, as they do on all the big Grimaldi stories) and Caroline could easily have been detected going to doctor's appointments, and who knows what. But besides that, as I said, I don't perceive her looks as ever indicating those of a chemo patient. Hey, it might be wrong, but it's my opinion.

I think the idea that Caroline suffers from alopecia is a lot less "romantic" than brest cancer, and so is a much more acceptable explanation.

I do not believe she is a cancer survivor. In all of the photographs of her either bald or with headscarf she looks wonderfully healthy unlike someone undergoing the rigours of chemotherapy which most often seems to cause a large degree of bloating. Also, eyebrow and lashes disappear entirely. Caroline is pictured with wonderful eyebrows and let's face it, the lashes these days are, if not false, then "enhanced". :flowers:

I do not think she's a cancer survivor either, otherwise she wouldn't have given birth to Alexandra, only two years after chemotherapy, and at 42 years of age...

Count me in, guys! I don't believe the cancer story either. I believe it was stress or trauma induced alopecia.

The Princess has said that her hair began coming out in clumps so she just shaved all of it off. That sounds more than plausible to me.

And it grew back thicker and more beautiful than ever, thank God.

Glistening Seas

:) Was anything ever printed on how she got rid of the Alopecia? It would be good to know how she managed for those whom are new and never read about it. :monacostandard::pawprint:

^^ I was wondering the same thing, as some of the posters here who have told of their experiences, they seem to say it's a life-long battle...

:previous: I feel the same as you both. I would really like to know how she overcame such a potentially devastating condition.

I love the way she used the situation to show the world that she did not define herself by other people's definition of beauty. I think any woman suffering the same condition would have felt encouraged (perhaps even a little elated) by her behaviour. :angel:

She didn't run away and hide her condition from the world, she confronted it head on (no pun intended). But then she is a stunningly beautiful woman and those studio shots of her bald headed are absolutely fabulous. :wub:

Last edited:
I've had alopecia for on and off for years and have also taken chemo. If it had been cancer, she wouldn't have lost just the hair on her head. She would have lost eyelashes and eyebrows. It's unlikely that smoking had any effect on that, even if it is had for her health.

Alopecia can have dozens of causes (hormones, thyroid, stress, x-rays & scans, surgery, medications, etc). It's quite obvious, from the pics I saw at the time, that she did have bald "spots." When she first shaved her head they were quite pronounced.

In her interview with Dianne Sawyer for the 700 ans Grimaldi, Albert told Ms. Sayer what caused it (I think he said stress or something?) and when the reporter confronted Caroline in the next segment, Caroline was quite cold and would not confirm it. In the same interview, Lizanne Kelly Levine said that Caroline told her simply "Aunt Lizzy, my hair started falling out and I just shaved it."

There are lots of new different medications and devices (including a laser comb) now to cure it. Caroline would have access to the cutting edge best care money could buy. It reversed itself, the Pregnancy helped stabilize an imbalance or she had a treatment regimen.

Yes I saw that Diane Sawyer interview. The Princess walked in with a big smile and a turban on her head, and she had a cigarette I think.

All was wonderful and relaxed until Sawyer brought up Prince Albert's comments about the hair loss and then Caroline went cold as ice..."how would he know" or "he is not in a position to know" or something like that.

She did NOT want to discuss it!

French rumor

Hello everybody !
In France, there was a rumor saying that Caroline has told a friend "I 'll shave my hair if Stephanie divorces from Ducruet."
True or not, who knows ?:rolleyes:

Also in Italy there was that sort of rumors.
They said Caroline shaved herself one day because she was very depressed because Ernst had broken with her and gone back to his wife.
They said that when Stefano died, she had her hair cut very short and when Ernst broke with her, she shaved her head!
In that period it was also in fashion. (Do you remember Demi Moore in G.I. Jane?).
Rumors!

Last edited:
Glistening Seas

:rose: more than likely it probably won't be much of a hair loss. Alopecia can come and go:tea:

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the photo itself or the way the photograph was taken, eg the sun, any suggestions:huh:

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the photo itself or the way the photograph was taken, eg the sun, any suggestions:huh:

I don't know. It is a thought to consider. Her head was turned at slightly different angles for each photo so I do not think that the sun might have created an illusion.

I've had alopecia for on and off for years and have also taken chemo. If it had been cancer, she wouldn't have lost just the hair on her head. She would have lost eyelashes and eyebrows. It's unlikely that smoking had any effect on that, even if it is had for her health.

Alopecia can have dozens of causes (hormones, thyroid, stress, x-rays & scans, surgery, medications, etc). It's quite obvious, from the pics I saw at the time, that she did have bald "spots." When she first shaved her head they were quite pronounced.

In her interview with Dianne Sawyer for the 700 ans Grimaldi, Albert told Ms. Sayer what caused it (I think he said stress or something?) and when the reporter confronted Caroline in the next segment, Caroline was quite cold and would not confirm it. In the same interview, Lizanne Kelly Levine said that Caroline told her simply "Aunt Lizzy, my hair started falling out and I just shaved it."

There are lots of new different medications and devices (including a laser comb) now to cure it. Caroline would have access to the cutting edge best care money could buy. It reversed itself, the Pregnancy helped stabilize an imbalance or she had a treatment regimen.

Thanks for the informative information. At her age, Caroline is approaching menopause. Her hormones will be ebbing and inbalanced during this phase, so it's quite possible that that is the reason for the bald patch at the back of her head.

I was wondering also if the alopecia had returned after I saw those pictures! I hope not!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom