Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first list is court precedence as determined by The Queen for royal occasions and can be changed at any time. The Duchess of Cornwall is currently fourth, after Her Majesty, The Princess Royal, and Princess Alexandra.

The second list is the official precedence of the Kingdom, which never changes and is the one that really counts. Here The Duchess is second after The Queen as she is the wife of the heir to the throne and next to become Queen Consort.

So officially then would the future wives of Princes William and Harry follow the Duchess of Cornwall then?

Sorry for all the questions. My 6 year old son has got into Monarchies and the British Royal Family in a big way, but things like precedence are not something I really learned much about myself.

you misunderstood what I meant, the secondary titles.

So officially then would the future wives of Princes William and Harry follow the Duchess of Cornwall then?

They would rank after both The Duchess of Cornwall and The Countess of Wessex as the wives of male-line grandsons of The Queen. Once Charles became King, William and Harry's wives would rank directly after Camilla as Queen Consort.

HRH Prince James of Wessex and HRH Princess Louise of Wessex

that sounds so good; I wish they used those titles. I'm not in agreement with the plan that I've heard Prince Charles wants to limit the prince/ss titles to the children of the monarch only (as compared with grandchildren at present), like some of the European countries.

After all, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of princes/sses in Europe, mostly Germany, who are not Royal, but of Princely families.

I don't suggest the taxpayer has to pay for every prince/ss, just those ones that have been delegated to do Royal duty.

They should be able to clarify in legislation whom should be conpensated by taxpayers and whom should not, while the ones not still being able to carry a title.

They should be able to clarify in legislation whom should be conpensated by taxpayers and whom should not, while the ones not still being able to carry a title.

I do not believe there is any need for legislation on this at all in the context of the BRF.

that sounds so good; I wish they used those titles. I'm not in agreement with the plan that I've heard Prince Charles wants to limit the prince/ss titles to the children of the monarch only (as compared with grandchildren at present), like some of the European countries.

After all, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of princes/sses in Europe, mostly Germany, who are not Royal, but of Princely families.

I don't suggest the taxpayer has to pay for every prince/ss, just those ones that have been delegated to do Royal duty.

It is really not in our culture to have a large number of princes and princesses who do not undertake royal duties, hence the thoughts to reduce the number of people who have royal titles and carry out engagements on behalf of the monarch

It is really not in our culture to have a large number of princes and princesses who do not undertake royal duties, hence the thoughts to reduce the number of people who have royal titles and carry out engagements on behalf of the monarch

Well at the moment we have a lot of "titled" royals doing engagements.
I can understand Prince Charles wanting to cut down the people who have HRH's and titles but who is he going to get rid off?

Well at the moment we have a lot of "titled" royals doing engagements.

Exactly my point: If you have a title, you undertake engagements. Few titled royals do not carry out engagements.

I can understand Prince Charles wanting to cut down the people who have HRH's and titles but who is he going to get rid off?

IMO, once Charles is King, you will gradually see the Kents and Gloucesters reduce the number of engagements they carry out, and possibly the York girls be excluded as well.

IMO, once Charles is King, you will gradually see the Kents and Gloucesters reduce the number of engagements they carry out, and possibly the York girls be excluded as well.

The york girls are not going to be excluded until William has children IMO.
Because when HM passes, and presumably DoE will have passed as well, but even if they haven't they won't be doing engagements.
Who are they going to have?

Charles, Camilla William, Harry, Anne, Andrew, The Girls, Edward and Sophie. And even then, surely Andrew and Anne will be cutting down as well.
Those are the only people who will be doing the main royal engagements. Charles and Camilla will be focusing on events that improve their popularity. Charles will still need the Dukes and Duchess of Kent and Gloucester up to a certain point.

I think you have a point there. IMO the timing and sequencing of the older royals reducing their work load and the younger ones being available to take up the slack will determine which of the royals retire, and when they do so. The wives of William and Harry will also be doing full time royal duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends on if and when they get married. Or if they are pregnant as soon as they marry.

This to me is at the crux of the future of the York girls. For instance if they both were to marry within the next year or so I could see Eugenie jumping for joy and planning to have a life much like Zara's - do her own thing, with her own job and appear a couple of times a year at the big events. Beatrice might also get the same opportunity but if they don't marry for another 10 years both Beatrice and Eugenie will be established in the Firm and really will be continuing in that role.

The number of current engagements and public duties to carry out is substantial, especially with The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh aging and the reality of having to cut back gradually. The Duke of York doesn't have a wife to carry the load, The Countess of Wessex isn't exactly carrying out a lot of duties while raising two young children and The Duchess of Kent no longer carries out any.

Given that reality, they will need Eugenie and Beatrice to step up to the plate, as well as William and Harry and their future wives for a long time. Once the present Dukes of Kent and Gloucester pass away, their children will not be taking up any of their father's duties.

The monarchy needs to be seen as visible and active in society to survive.

Interesting points, guys Some say a royal wedding is close If that happens, my opinion is KM shouldn't receive the Princess of Wales title Should be left for Diana's memory Kate could become Duchess or Countess upon her marriage Otherwise would be too much

Well since Wililam is not The Prince of Wales it doesn't really matter.

I would imagine at their marriage (if it ever happens) she will be HRH The Princess Wililam of Wales or HRH The Duchess of Something.

I liked Diana too but we need to move on. Life is for the living and she wouldn't want her sons's wife not to have the title befitting her position. I would even hazard a guess she wouldn't be mad at Camilla being referred to as the Princess of Wales, but that is another battle for another thread.

Interesting points, guys Some say a royal wedding is close If that happens, my opinion is KM shouldn't receive the Princess of Wales title Should be left for Diana's memory Kate could become Duchess or Countess upon her marriage Otherwise would be too much

The Princess of Wales title will not be left for Diana's memory. People have moved on. The Princess of Wales is not some foundation that is to be left for someone's memory.

And what do you mean by "Otherwise would be too much" - too much for what or for whom?

As she would only become The Princess of Wales after Charles becomes King and William is created The Prince of Wales (assuming that he is) I don't get your point.

She should, of course, take all of William's titles (just as Camilla has) - otherwise it is an unequal marriage.

Of course it is perfectly possible that political motivations and Welsh nationalism may see Charles be the last Prince of Wales and thus Camilla the last Princess of Wales but that is another discussion.

Presumably for those who think that the Princess of Wales title should only be used to refer to the late Diana, Princess of Wales? ;)

And what do you mean by "Otherwise would be too much" - too much for what or for whom?

my opinion is KM shouldn't receive the Princess of Wales title Should be left for Diana's memory

Diana held the title for 16 years, but the title of PoW has been around for several hundred years. Camilla has the title now, and in time, William's wife will have it.

There were Princesses Of Wales Before Diana, and there will be Princesses of Wales after Diana. In my opinion CASE CLOSED.

You are joking aren't you? The title Princess of Wales dates back to Isabella, Princess of Wales and Lady of Snowdon (c. 1222 – c. 1248), and from Isabella onwards has a rich in both history and tragedy.

Princess Diana held the title Her Royal Highness Diana, Princess of Wales for the 15 years of her marriage, from 29 July 1981 to her divorce on 28 August 1996. As the mother of the two princes she remained a memeber of the BRF and retained usage of the title Diana, Princess of Wales until her death on 31 August 1997. Whilst she is perceived to have lived a tragic life, many of her predecessors fared little better and some a lot worse.

Wiki said:
Catherine of Aragon (Spanish: Catalina de Aragón) (16 December 1485 – 7 January 1536), also known as Katherine or Katharine, was Queen of England as the first wife of King Henry VIII of England and Princess of Wales as the wife to Arthur, Prince of Wales. On 18 February 1516, Catherine delivered a healthy girl. She was named Mary and christened three days later with great ceremony at the Church of Observant Friars. In 1518, Catherine became pregnant for the last time. She gave birth to a daughter on 10 November, but the child was weak and lived only a few hours. Catherine was pregnant six times altogether.

In 1525, Henry VIII became enamoured of Anne Boleyn, a maid-of-honour to Queen Catherine who was between 10 and 17 years younger than Henry (Anne's exact year of birth is unknown). Henry began pursuing her.[19] By this time Catherine was no longer able to bear children. Henry began to believe that his marriage was cursed and sought confirmation from the Bible, which he interpreted to say that if a man marries his brother's wife, the couple will be childless.[20] Even if her marriage to Arthur had not been consummated (and Catherine would insist, to her dying day, that she had come to Henry's bed a virgin), Henry's interpretation of that Biblical passage meant that their marriage had been wrong in the eyes of God. Whether the Pope at the time of Henry and Catherine's marriage had had the right to overrule Henry's claimed scriptural impediment would become a hot point in Henry's campaign to wrest an annulment from the present Pope. It is possible that the idea of annulment had been suggested to Henry much earlier than this, and is highly probable that it was motivated by his desire for a son.
My tribulations are so great, my life so disturbed by the plans daily invented to further the King's wicked intention, the surprises which the King gives me, with certain persons of his council, are so mortal, and my treatment is what God knows, that it is enough to shorten ten lives, much more mine.

It soon became the one absorbing object of Henry's desires to secure an annulment.[22] Catherine was defiant when it was suggested that she quietly retire to a nunnery, saying "God never called me to a nunnery, I am the King's true and legitimate wife . . . .

With Henry's penchant for executing his later wives one can only marvel at the international politics that kept her from the same fate.

Whilst comparing these two marriages is akin to comparing apples and oranges I can't but feel that Diana's life was a veritable cakewalk compared to Catherine's. She has earned her place in history and William's future wife could also make her mark. But then again, William may never actually be Prince of Wales and so the title of his wife becomes redundant!

Realistically, I do think it is highly unlikely that William will not be PoW in time. My view is that the whole argument on TRF about the Welsh nationalistic movement and its impact on William becoming PoW is perhaps being overegged. The Scottish nationalistic movement is actually far better organised and has real political will behind it, and that too is unlikley to progress very far in a hurry.

Camilla is the present Princess of Wales. Kate will be Duchess of Sussex.

If Willliam Mairries Kate, She will be Princess William of Wales,untill William recieves the title of Duke of XX

Camilla yes is the present Princess of Wales.
But Katherine will be Princess William of Wales (Duchess of wherever), and when William becomes POW after his father she will be the Princess of Wales.
As to what title William will get, that will be determined when he marries.

Exactly. Princess of Wales is an old, old title. Diana was the most famous Princess of Wales but certainly not the only one.:flowers:

There were Princesses Of Wales Before Diana, and there will be Princesses of Wales after Diana. In my opinion CASE CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom