Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Team USA! Funny the player who stole a kiss from Meghan.

'Visit Australia'? This is their second home! Wish it was, actually!

She looked lovely, loved her hair like this. They look rested, having had all morning to themselves.

'Visit Australia'? This is their second home! Wish it was, actually!

It is my personal belief that if Australia is to stay a constitutional monarchy sharing the same monarch with the UK, there must be a member of the EF living in Australia, representing his family and his dynasty. Some sort of Viceking but from the family, not some officiall, for we are so past since the era of colonization. It would be perfect if the Sussexes could move down under and represent their family and the Commonwealth there. IMHO, of course.

I see your point, Kataryn, but I sincerely don't believe anything like that will ever happen.

What I do see is that no matter what happens politically in Australia, I do think that Australia will remain within the Commonwealth. I also believe that what we're seeing right here and now with Harry and Meghan in the ɹǝpun uʍop tour is just the start of a very long and very close relationship Harry and Meghan will have with the Commonwealth nations through the decades to come. :D

I'm surprised Henry and Meghan haven't gone to the Rugby this morning.

After seeing them at actually attend the Invictus games and watch from the seats I wish they had incorporated more Invictus into the tour and in the future don't bundle up tours and Invictus together.

Invictus is an amazing event that should stand alone and deserves the attention of royals and the world media.

It is my personal belief that if Australia is to stay a constitutional monarchy sharing the same monarch with the UK, there must be a member of the EF living in Australia, representing his family and his dynasty. Some sort of Viceking but from the family, not some officiall, for we are so past since the era of colonization. It would be perfect if the Sussexes could move down under and represent their family and the Commonwealth there. IMHO, of course.

I think most Australians are perfectly happy with a Governor General representing the Queen here. Our GG's are Australian and are chosen by our parliament. It has worked well for us and to date no one has particularly wanted a member of the Royal Family to come here as the Queens rep.

Actually, I think the opposite. If Harry and Meghan had been at each and every Invictus Game event day in and day out, the chances that the coverage of the Games would have lost a lot of focus with the media and the coverage being more focused on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex than of the Games themselves.

Harry was and will be there for the most important parts of his role as Patron of the Invictus Games at the opening and closing ceremonies. I honestly believe that Harry would much rather the main focus at the Games be on the Games itself and the people who are the participants in the events.

This tour has nicely put the primary focus for Harry and Meghan in two different roles. Their involvement and support of the Invictus Games as one and their representation of HM, The Queen on other aspects of this tour.

Its worked out beautifully for all I think but I can almost guarantee that Harry and Meghan will breathe a big sigh of relief and be be very, very happy to be home in their own bed with a few days of pure down time. They deserve it. :D

I think most Australians are perfectly happy with a Governor General representing the Queen here. Our GG's are Australian and are chosen by our parliament. It has worked well for us and to date no one has particularly wanted a member of the Royal Family to come here as the Queens rep.

I agree, Tarlita. I think we have a strong preference for a non-political Aussie representing the Monarch, and letting the role continue to evolve with Australia's continuing evolution. I can see no reason whatsoever for us leaving the Commonwealth whether we remain a consitutional monarchy or a become a republic.

After seeing them at actually attend the Invictus games and watch from the seats I wish they had incorporated more Invictus into the tour and in the future don't bundle up tours and Invictus together.

Invictus is an amazing event that should stand alone and deserves the attention of royals and the world media.

I agree Invictus should should stand alone but I really had no issue with combining the tour and Invictus this year, as that was the only way they would be able to do both. I suspect Invictus 2020 will be a standalone event.

Really looking forward to the last leg of the tour. I know it's been a long one but a part of me isn't ready for it to end. :lol:

Does anyone know if ITV plans to do a documentary or a special about this tour or something related to it?

I've noticed Chris Ship and others in the ITV team are going to places a day earlier or a day later and spending more time at the places compared to the other news organisations shooting extra stuff.

Edit: Just saw someone asked Chris Ship about a documentary on twitter and he replied Monday November 5th. Lizzie Robinson also confirmed the documentary on twitter. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

So the queen and her family better be having more working royals. Because if Australia gets a love in royal, what about Canada and all the other realms?

Sorry might be nice to having Harry living there but will have to settle for tours.

Harry has taken on a role representing the commonwealth. And I am happy for it. Hopefully he and Meghan will focus on the commonwealth throughout the next decades. But Australia is only one portion of it.

Great closing ceremonies for Invictus :flowers: Glad it is continuing. So important.

I think they found a good balance for the tour and games. Past trips for Imvictus for Harry were private events. They were for the most part not official. This was an official trip as they were officially invited. I think it made sense to combine it into an official tour to other areas down there.

Invictus got a big of a boost from them there for a handful of events. But then the focus was where it belonged, on the athletes.

Hopefully we will see them at 2020.

I am glad they doing a documentary and I can't wait to see it. This tour has been so amazing despite the jampacked schedule. I think the next time they will do a little less so they can spend more time at places, but the responses has been so heart-whelming. Very sweet how Australia has seemed to adopt them as their own. NZ is up next and next and I am sore it is finally hitting them that the tour is coming to a close.

I've been enjoying the tour so far...the meet and greets, the human interest stories, the speeches, the fashion. Love it all!

Isn't it Australia that is waiting for the Queen to die and then will jump ship? Or is that Canada? No I'm sure its Australia.
Can someone summarize Meghan's recent speech?

Isn't it Australia that is waiting for the Queen to die and then will jump ship? Or is that Canada? No I'm sure its Australia.
Can someone summarize Meghan's recent speech?

It is Australia. My view is, if they want to jump ship, just do it now. It’s quite unfair to Charles to have that on his reign when it’s not because of him.

Which speech do you want? The one in Fiji or the one at IG? It annoys me those are billed as The Duchess will say a few words. Both are full speeches.

Congrats Team USA! Funny the player who stole a kiss from Meghan.
I don't find it funny. A grown man should know better than to kiss a strange woman without asking first.

#RoyalTour day 13 takes us to Wellington, New Zealand!
The couple will...
- Arrive at #RNZAF Air Movements
- Receive welcome at Government House
- Lay a wreath at Pukeahu War Memorial
- Call on Leader of Opposition and PM @jacindaardern
- Attend reception hosted by @GovGeneralNZ

Some details of the next days of the tour - including local times of events.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/ente...nce-harry-and-meghan-while-they-re-in-nz.html

I don't know how much live coverage of the New Zealand leg we will get here in Australia, but there wil be clips on the news programs at least.

Love the sound of the BBQ on the beach - and the Facebook pages letting the general public know where to see them sounds great.

Harry and Meghan are due in Wellington at 3.00pm local time.

It has been fantastic to follow this tour - really great live TV coverage.

I think Harry and Meghan have been more embraced by Australia than anyone expected.

(And no doubt New Zealand will be the same.)

The baby announcement, the involvement with the service men and women, the couple's obvious delight in each other - a warm, happy Royal tour.

Enjoy the next few days fellow posters. It's been such great fun following Harry and Meghan's time in Australia and the South Pacific, and being able to share everyone's thoughts and opinions here on TRFs.

Last edited:
Well, I don't see any scheduled coverage on state channels or any other free to air channels so perhaps they are being covered with a quick clip on the news! I cannot believe this and I want to throw a two-year-old tantrum lying on the floor drumming my feet on the wall!

I say this since it seems obvious that adult common sense, not to mention revenue, has obviously failed dramatically. We really prefer, Fishing and Adventure and Rugby, NZ and Australian Soaps and Rugby, Cooking Shows and Rugby . . . . :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: . . . . .

They are on the move to the airport. 7 is live streaming online and Sunrise mentioned earilier that they’ll have live special coverage this morning.

Pretty sure Megsie is due to give another speech tonight at the official reception in relation to the Women's Suffrage.

It will be sad to not be getting regular long updates of the tour on NZ TV. Still, I'm proud and glad that Australia's coverage has been great.

ThankYou very much Sun Lion and Tarlita for being there every day and commentating for everybody.

Australia's coverage of this tour has been absolutely fabulous. Totally enjoyed it and will miss it.

It is Australia. My view is, if they want to jump ship, just do it now. It’s quite unfair to Charles to have that on his reign when it’s not because of him.

Charles will be a major reason why many Australians will vote to become a republic when the time comes and it may be sooner than the death of the Queen.

The ALP, who are expected to win the election next year, have promised a plebiscite on a republic in their first term. They are going to ask a question like 'Do you want Australia to become a republic?' That question would elicite a majority Yes vote based on the polls around at the moment.

If, as expected, the vote is a Yes then there will be a series of plebisictes to find out the kind of republic. Only when one of those is a clear favourite will it be put to the Australian people as a referendum to finally break free of the UK and have our own Head of State - one that cares about us and only us. Whether that happens in the reign of the Queen or in Charles' reign or even into William's is in the future.

New Zealand are also looking into becoming a republic. The polls there are even saying that about 50% of the population are opposed to the cost of the upcoming visit by Harry and Meghan.

It may very well be that by the end of HM's reign many of the remaining 16 realms are ready to leave. She started her reign with over 50 and will be leaving her heirs 16 or fewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom