Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a wonderful welcome, I bet they were overcome. Don't know why the President bowed. A mark of politeness perhaps, or respect for a member of the BRF who was representing his grandmother, the head of the Commonwealth.

Never understand why people are so obsessed with (celebrity) baby bumps...
Must be so intrusive to read and hear all the time to show it. :ermm:

Or, some people are just happy about the baby. It's not like I'm asking to see the ultrasound or bump in a swimsuit. :ermm:

In Safiyaa - another London fashion house. Not a very prominent brand from what I can tell - will be a nice exposure for them.
It's very minimalist and clean. Definitely something different.
I like the colour - Fiji's national colour. She did the same with Australia - wore green for their evening reception. I am expecting red and/or white in Tonga.

I'm going to say white. She could surprise me though. :lol: I think we can rule out concern for mosquitoes in air conditioned room, so the dark rule doesn't apply right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely love the tropical flower bouquet that Meghan received on arrival. Also she looked very lovely in white.
Her blue gown worn to the banquet is lovely too. They should have a wonderful time here.

Also their last night on sub tropical Fraser Island was a full moon glistening across the water. Add in the balmy evening and they should have had a lovely romantic evening in their private villa part of the resort I believe.

Last edited:
This is the grandest welcome I've seen for the Sussexes. Did you see the necklace Meghan received when meeting the president? And why did the president bow to them?

Pearl necklace, and Harry got a whale tooth. The tooth is meant for health. :flowers:

I assume the president just bowed as a sign of respect. Not expected.

Amazing showing of people to welcome them. Quite big.

I've heard Harry is very well liked and respected Down Under...perhaps the reaction/action is tied to that.

LaRae

I think that members of the BRF have always been liked and respected by the people of Fiji and Tonga, especially the Queen. I saw the official doco on her and Prince Philip's tour to Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific in 1954, and that was something else! A very different time of course, but I do think Fijians like royals coming to see them!

What a scene. I can only imagine what went through her head.

Wow! That must have seemed surreal to both of them, I suspect..

I've heard Harry is very well liked and respected Down Under...perhaps the reaction/action is tied to that.

LaRae

Here's a video of the meeting. I think it has to do with local customs.

It is the 1st time ever Harry referring to Meghan at the fijian state dinner as "the Duchess..." and I admit I love that - at least at official and ceremonial functions like that!

Cannot recall William ever having done so (he always says when he talks in a speech about himself and Kate "Catherine and I ....")

Or, some people are just happy about the baby. It's not like I'm asking to see the ultrasound or bump in a swimsuit. :ermm:

Never understand why people are so obsessed with (celebrity) baby bumps...
Must be so intrusive to read and hear all the time to show it. :ermm:

I'm with you Jacqui - I enjoy seeing it because it makes it more real. Every time I see her belly or someone saying congratulations or Harry saying he hopes it's a girl, I get excited all over again. (Kind of like when I see Harry's wedding ring!) It's like, Oh riiiiiight...baby! OMG, they're having a baby Sussex! :flowers: :wub:

Also, I don't think the Sussexes (or most celebrities) are reading gossip chat boards, so they probably aren't aware of all of the people wanting to see the "bump."

It is the 1st time ever Harry referring to Meghan at the fijian state dinner as "the Duchess..." and I admit I love that - at least at official and ceremonial functions like that!

Cannot recall William ever having done so (he always says when he talks in a speech about himself and Kate "Catherine and I ....")

He's cracking me up with all of his references to "my wife" and now "the Duchess" - it's adorable. You can tell he is sooooo happy to have a partner to navigate the crazy royal world/duties with him. Love it.

LaRae

There are some places where the actual members of the royal family are popular and other places where simply the monarchy is popular. For example their visit to Sussex there were a lot of interviews that day of people who aren't royalist and don't care about the monarchy at all but came out that day because they liked Harry and Meghan.

Australia is a good example where the monarchy is popular but also members of the family like Harry is popular.

Fiji so far seems to be a place where the monarchy is popular but we shouldn't underestimate the effect Meghan has on the family.

A ton of people of colour are more interested in the royal family because of Meghan which I think we will see reflected in some of the places they will travel to in the future

Oz TV live crosses this morning are saying things will kick off in again in Fiji in under two hours - an early start today.

The officials are currently nailing down the red carpet at the War Memorial, where the couple will be laying a wreath, before going on to the University.

Harry and Meghan splitting up for the afternoon with their own activities.

I'm looking forward to seeing Meghan in the market. Hope the weather has settled for everyone.

I don't think Meghan is scheduled for the war memorial. Part of it is to avoid mosquitoes I believe.

I hope they have better luck with the weather today. It was so windy yesterday that it blew the red carpet up. Meghan was not on the carpet, but it was right in front of her.

Last edited:
I don't think Meghan is scheduled for the war memorial. Part of it is to avoid mosquitoes I believe.

I hope they have better luck with the weather today. It was so windy yesterday that it blew the red carpet up. Meghan was not on the carpet, but it was right in front of her.

Yes, saw the airport photos jacqui24.

And what is it with Harry giving a speech and the heavens opening up!

Dubbo, the Opening Ceremony at the Opera House, and now Suva during the the big welcome.

He'll start to get a reputation or something, if this continues. :lol:

And maybe Meghan will go to the War Memorial - so windy they are nailing down the red carpet there, so no mozzies will have a chance to land on anyone. (But maybe a chance to rest up for her.)

Last edited:
Yes, saw the airport photos jacqui24.

And what is it with Harry giving a speech and the heavans opening up!

Dubbo, the Opening Ceremony at the Opera House, and now Suva during the the big welcome.

He'll start to get a reputation or something, if this continues. :lol:

Well, he's scheduled to speak again today....:ohmy: Maybe his wife will counter him when she speaks.

Sun Lion, can we get a live link from ya?

Megsie is due to give a short speech at the University today

Perhaps I should not second guess on here. But I still worry that it was a bad idea to continue to go to Fiji and Tonga because of the Zika virus and its risk to the baby. Surely it could have been rescheduled.

Sun Lion, can we get a live link from ya?

Sorry Zaira but I'm not sure how. I can post/link photos, but can't do much else.

There have been some really wonderful videos online and I've been able to save them for myself, but can't share those links.

I hope you are all finding and seeing them for yourselves.

Some, like the first Monday at Admiralty House when Harry was filmed sitting and chatting in the garden, seem to have already disappeared from the internet.

When I'm home I've been following the live coverage here on Channel 7 and Channel 9.

The links provided by Dman have been working for me, so I'm expecting they should be up and running again today as well.

Australia is covering the Fiji events very well..

Both channels have top notch reporters on the ground there and we're getting regular updates/live crosses throughout the morning while waiting for the action to start.

Same happened at Fraser Island, Dubbo etc.

I'm expecting to be home today and will watch the TV coverage. I'm expecting it to be good, better than I'll see on the internet.

Hope you're able to follow the action Zaira. Channel 9 should have the usual internet live coverage today.

If I can post a link to their website I will - though that might not be the same as Dman's actual link - open and ready to just watch.

And this website seems to have the first photos, though bigger and clearer version come just a little while later, especially on Daily Mail.

(Daily Mail still have a lot of good videos up, and easy to save.)

I've been using this site to see the early photos - seem to be the first to post.

It say's it has Live Feed a little lower down.

Dman may swing by and set up something too.

Good Luck Zaira. Have a great tour day everyone.

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/10/24...day-9-royal-tour-australia-live-coverage-2018

Megsie is due to give a short speech at the University today

Thanks Axeyman - hope we have a live broadcast of that.

Channel 7 just saying only Harry will be doing the War Memorial jacqui24.

Crowds lining the streets.

Harry there - in his tropical, (white), uniform.

He definitely said it at the official welcome. Did he say it at both?

What a scene. I can only imagine what went through her head.

It may have crossed her mind that this is what it would have been like somewhat if they would have had a balcony appearance at BP on their wedding day. That's the first thing I thought of anyways. :D

I've come to the realization that, with this tour, its not just people turning out to crane their necks to "spot royals" but its so much more. Its communities coming together in celebration as a people to proudly show the world the stuff they are made of. They've plotted and planned to ensure its done right, reflects the heart and soul of the people Harry and Meghan will meet and exhibits a whole lot of national pride wherever this couple goes.

Add into these scenarios a couple that actively can inject themselves right into the mix of things, embrace the mood of the people and fit right in alongside of them, its no wonder that we get the feeling that Harry and Meghan have been adopted as one of their own wherever they go.

Perhaps that is the reason that the formal, official feel of the reception at Fiji seems so very different. Full pomp and pageantry and protocol of the official royal visiting officials of Fiji. Harry and Meghan were able to instantly switch on the royal button in their demeanor. The Queen/Granny must be so proud of the two of them. This is a tour that will never be forgotten. By anyone. This couple has diplomacy and its ins and outs down perfectly.

I think the slogan "Game On, Down Under" is applying to every inch of this tour and the Sussexes are winning no matter where they go. ?

Last edited:
I'm sure that the Sussexes are soaking up a lot of autumnal sun on this tour - or summer sun in the southern hemisphere.
Meghan looked wonderful yesterday and I like that her dress matched the Fijian colours.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the Sussexes are soaking up a lot of autumnal sun on this tour - or summer sun in the southern hemisphere.
Meghan looked wonderful today and I like that her dress matched the Fijian colours.

I think you mean yesterday? I got excited and started looking for photos. :lol:

The week after this tour is completed and Harry and Meghan are once again home and ensconced in their own bed is now declared "Snoozefest Week" as we all reunite once again with our pillows. :lol:

That's a 10pm moment! :lol: :coffee: You're more on the ball than me.

I am the same way about the time. I am in the US and I have just quit trying to keep up with the time. :eek: I just go to madaboutmeghan blogspot when I get up in the mornings and read all about their latest appearance.

Live footage at the Uni.

Both colourfully dressed.

Meghan with a high updo and flowers in her hair. Wearing her Bondi wedges.

People are going to love her dress - this one is a winner all round.

They both look great.

Looking forward to Meghan's speech especially.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom