Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be fair to say that day 1 to date has been a great success.

BTW, I feel sorry for the assistant that had to run out and get the UGG booties last night after the announcement came around prime time in Australia. :lol:

Gorgeous photo.

I said that very thing to Mom earlier...LOL!! I’ll bet that caused just a bit of panic among the GG’s Staff after that Announcement came out. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

When I saw the footage of them arriving & heading to the car last night, it was the look on Harry’s face that instantly caught my eye. He literally appeared to be a man so giddy happy that he was about to explode. My Late Great Aunt would have put it like this : He looks like the Cat who not only caught the Canary, but managed to sneak into the Cold Pantry & drained the Cream can too!! ??

Gosh I felt so emotional when Harry and Meghan made a beeline for dear Daphne Dunne. A 98 year old lady who has met Harry twice before. She lost her husband in the war. Harry has kissed Daphne before and has told Meghan about her.
They had a microphone on so we could hear what they were saying.
And dear Daphne said to Harry, 'Now give me a kiss before you go.'
And like a dutiful young man he did. That got me quite emotional.
I hope your media captured the whole thing. It was lovely.

Smart Lady!! [emoji4] It sounds like they have a really lovely bond w/each other.

Yes they are really lucky with the weather. Tomorrow in Dubbo a large country town ravaged by drought - the forecast is for heavy rain which they need. So wellington boots might be needed.

Meghan said to Daphne she would meet her baby next year when they come back. Which was a very sweet thing for her to say.

Oh..Okay...Who just put put Onions in w/my Gummi Bears!?! [emoji23]. My heart just literally melted. [emoji4]

As for Tomorrow...Something tells me if it rains, it won’t matter too much. Just a hunch. [emoji6]. Seriously, while we never got to Drought conditions this Summer, it was still very scary dry for us & we badly needed rain. We were only a small spark away from a run away Bush Fire taking place. It was nothing on the scale of what was happening Down Under though, so while for a “Regular” Royal Visit it doesn’t sound like great Weather, in this case it’s likely perfect.

Lizzie Robinson

Verified account

@LizzieITV

Follow Follow @LizzieITV

More

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were given a cuddly koala and joey as a gift by @tarongazoo - Meghan told the keeper she would be putting them in the nursery [emoji198] #RoyalVisitAustralia #RoyalBaby

6:03 PM - 15 Oct 2018

Awww!! Well, that takes care of the two Animals as Plushies that you think of, when thinking about Australia, as Official Baby Gifts!! [emoji1][emoji1]

Thanks to our Friends Down Under for sharing links, Tweets, Video, etc. Much appreciated!! [emoji4]

Wonder what other animals they'll collect along the way? That nursery is going to be filled with stuffed animals no matter what. :lol:

Photos and videos coming out from this afternoon's reception at Admiralty House hosted by the GG. Harry gave a brief speech, thanking Australia for the welcome and the support for the Invictus Games (and jokingly approving of the serving of both beer and tea at an afternoon reception, 'typical Aussie style' he said).

Royal Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah 20m20 minutes ago
Prince Harry says he and Meghan are delighted to be in Australia and “we genuinely couldn’t think of a better place to announce the upcoming baby, whether it’s a boy or a girl.” #RoyalBaby #RoyalVisitAustralia

Emily Nash @emynash 28m28 minutes ago
Harry thanks his hosts for the stay at Admiralty House and jokes “We’re inviting all our mates..” He says “we couldn’t think of a better place to announce the upcoming... baby!” ����

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv 41m41 minutes ago
Meghan meets baby. Cameras start clicking wildly �� ���� #royalvisitaustralia

Ok, non-native English speaker is confused.
What is Dinkum and what is joey?
Dinkum is some kind of Australian saying, I get it, but what does it mean?
And about joey. Firstly I thought it's toy's kangaroo's name but now I see it's something else.

I am. That entire exchange just was too much for this heart. Such a sweet moment watching Harry and Meghan with Daphne. So glad it happened.

I am so pleased you all got to see and hear the meeting with Daphne.

Thanks Jacqui too for the right words. I had tears in my eyes at the time of writing. It was just a very sweet exchange with Daphne. Yesterday they showed Daphne at the hairdressers getting her hair done and a little interview. So the media and officials look like they collaborated together for the meeting, as Daphne was put in a prominent spot to see Harry.

Now Bertie take care and glad you are home again.

And about joey. Firstly I thought it's toy's kangaroo's name but now I see it's something else.

The babies of various Oz animals are called joeys Daenys - baby kangaroos, baby koalas, baby wombats, baby possums, baby wallabies, baby pademelons.

But baby platypus and echidna are called puggles, which is cute too.

Platypus and echidna are different to the other Oz marsupials - they hatch out of eggs, but then drink milk from their mums. (And the males have venom too!)

Joeys get born as practically embryos and then climb up their mother's bodies and find the pouch, attach to the teat in the pouch and stay there until they actually grow into something bigger with fur.

Then they pop their heads out!

All totally weird really. :lol:

Last edited:

'Fair dinkum' is an Aussie slang phrase that means honest/honestly, true/truely, 'seriously?', depending on if it's used as an adjective or an adverb (comparative phrase is "for real?").
A joey is the name for a baby kangaroo, as well as other baby marsupials (like koalas, wombats, possums and quokkas).

Last edited:
"Are you Fair Dinkum!!!" Would mean. Are you for real. Are you telling the truth!! It is a phrase not used very often these days.

Harry is also a little shy talking about the baby at the end of his speech. So sweet! I bet he's still pinching himself.

Apparently there has been an extra engagement added to the tour. Does anyone know where and what it is.

I noticed that at this afternoons engagement at Admiralty House that Meghan was talking to one of Australia's most popular singers in Missy Higgins, and her young baby

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 1 was fantastic.
Coming off the baby announcement Meghan's dress was beautiful, and an Australian designer. The first gift for their baby was a cute moment.

They got their usual shots with the Koalas and the Sydney opera house in. Opening the new center at the Zoo and had a look around.

Harry and Meghan's meeting with Daphne was heart warming and will likely be one of the best of the tour.

The couple knows how to work a crowd and are always great during walk about.

The crowd from the last tweet I saw from Rhiannon Mills has the crowd at 4000 people but I found the setup was done so that the crowds were very spread out. The line was much longer than the length of the building and it was reported the Sussexes were able to make their way all the way down the line so they were able to meet more people with this set up rather than everyone crammed into a smaller place.

Harry gave a great speech at the reception you can tell how nervous he was to mention the baby.

A great first day. Dubbo looks like it's going to be amazing but rainy day.

Last edited:
Lovely first day and great weather, can't wait for the Dubbo visit!

Wonderful to see all these crowds so enthousiastic…. how beautiful and likeable they are !

Question is how is the picnic going to happen with the rain? I think the people are showing up no matter what given the reports about Dubbo and surrounding areas.

I wonder if they will meet Prime Minister of New Zealand's baby daughter.

Last edited:
The babies of various Oz animals are called joeys Daenys - baby kangaroos, baby koalas, baby wombats, baby possums, baby wallabies, baby pademelons.

But baby platypus and echidna are called puggles, which is cute too.

Platypus and echidna are different to the other Oz marsupials - they hatch out of eggs, but then drink milk from their mums. (And the males have venom too!)

Joeys get born as practically embryos and then climb up their mother's bodies and find the pouch, attach to the teat in the pouch and stay there until they actually grow into something bigger with fur.

Then they pop their heads out!

All totally weird really. :lol:

Yep, that's Australia alright !

I wonder if they will meet Prime Minister of New Zealand's baby daughter.

I reckon so.

Jac' seems a decent lady and PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
This tour has barely begun and the Invictus Games haven't even started yet but already this tour has captured the interest of people not only Down Under, but worldwide.

If the start is anything to go by, this entire tour is going to be an overwhelming success. :D

I'm still smiling and thinking of Harry and Meghan and Daphne.

Local reporter about Dubbo.

@BrigidWD

"biggest mistake - assuming the royal picnic in Dubbo will be sparsely attended so I will get to "see" the royals without a step ladder/ media pass -- and instead am told there will be about 30,000 people there."

According to her many of the neighboring towns are joining in on the fun. Lots of busses coming in. Sounds like it will be an amazing time for all. Hopefully the weather isn't too bad. They calling for rain.

:previous: That's consistent with Iluvbertie's comments yesterday about the surrounding areas in Dubbo.

And I'm actually really concerned for all given the weather forecast.

:previous:

Saw that Dubbo sold out of plastic rain ponchos a few days before Harry and Meghan arrived in Oz, ACO, jacqui24.

One shop was expecting another eight pallets of stock on the Monday - and thought it would all be gone again by today. (Not just ponchos of course, but camp chairs, paper crowns, things people will snap up for today.)

No matter what the conditions are in Dubbo, I can't see people being put off - the town has been celebrating for a couple of weeks already by the look of the reports.

We were so lucky yesterday with the amazing weather here in Sydney.

Good job the couple are going inland today - really rough and turbulent wind back now, howling through.

Fun reports and photos coming out of Admiralty House - first the yoga mat lady photographed going in Monday, and now a Menulog takeaway delivery - said to be curry - seen being handled over the high front gates.

I wonder if Meghan and her friend got to meet up there too last night - a night off for the couple after the busy day.

Looking forward to the action today. Have a great tour day everyone.

I love the story of Harry meeting the elderly lady who often turns out for royal visits again.
The photos from the trip so far have been great; Harry and Meghan are both wonderful with the public so I'm sure this will be a fun tour.

Question is how is the picnic going to happen with the rain? I think the people are showing up no matter what given the reports about Dubbo and surrounding areas.

This is Australia - when a planned outdoor event is scheduled it would have to be something massive for a bit of rain to cancel it. If it was a thunder storm sure inside or if it was belting down with possible flooding but a bit of light rain will see things happen with umbrellas and other things.

I think this time around though, Daphne meeting Harry was pretty much planned as there were reports of her getting her hair done and all set to see her friend. Its still remarkable and its a story that will stay in people's mind for a long time. I thought about Daphne myself when I heard that Harry and Meghan were going to be in Sydney again and meet and greet with the crowds.

Its heartwarming to know that in Sydney, Australia there is one very happy 98 year old woman that has captured Harry's heart. No other woman, I think, could come close and that makes Daphne so special. I do hope she does get to see Harry and Meghan again with their wee little one. That would be icing on the cake. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom