Gender, names, and godparent guessing for Harry and Meghan's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Harry and Meghan's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 55 29.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 105 55.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do know a girl called Nehemiah even though it's usually a boy's name. I don't see Charles as a first name, especially because of Charlotte but maybe one of his other names in there somewhere.

I guess since the Queen hasn't issued LPs several months in advance ala George's birth, the kid will be born Lord/Lady even if they state they'll use HRH when Charles is King.

If they go more traditional:

Victoria Diana Alexandra
Philip Charles Henry

If they go traditional but not overly common:

Augusta Diana Alice
David Charles Philip

If they throw tradition out the window:

Olivia Grace Diana
Spencer Charles Philip

I think the baby will be born 4/4/19

*I personally like Margaret and Helena but I think because they are either to close to current family (Lena Tindall) or have history...from what I understand Princess Margaret and Diana didn't get along I don't think they will choose either of those.

Last edited:
If they go more traditional:

I think the baby will be born 4/4/19

*I personally like Margaret and Helena but I think because they are either to close to current family (Lena Tindall) or have history...from what I understand Princess Margaret and Diana didn't get along I don't think they will choose either of those.

They are hardly likely to completley abandon tradition..
I don't think they'll go for Margaret, as David Snowdons daughter is Margherita... Same with Helena, Lena is an abbreviated version of it, so also not likely....

What do you think of Edwina for the name of a daughter? Edwina would pay tribute to Lord Mountbatten's wife, Countess Edwina.

What do you think of Victor for one of the middle names of a son?

What do you think of Sophia Doria for the name of a daughter?

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it sounds very old-fashioned and not a name that Meghan would pick.

I’m sure Meghan would like to honor her side as well as Harry’s. One of the baby’s name will probably honor the Raglands, since she was close to her grandmother. I doubt they’ll use Diana since that’s Charlotte’s middle name. They’ll probably use Frances for a girl or Charles after Pa and the late Earl Spencer.

The late Earl Spencer was Johnny. Charles Spencer is the present Earl Spencer. I don't see them using either Charles or Diana at all in the name. Frances or Francis is a good possibility though.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that they'll use a name that isn't a family name from either side. Have the kids start right off the bat making their name their own legacy.

What do you think of Edwina for the name of a daughter? Edwina would pay tribute to Lord Mountbatten's wife, Countess Edwina.
I think it would cause a media splash about Edwina's personal life that wouldn't be welcome.

I was on the point of writing the same.

The late Earl Spencer was Johnny. Charles Spencer is the present Earl Spencer. I don't see them using either Charles or Diana at all in the name. Frances or Francis is a good possibility though.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that they'll use a name that isn't a family name from either side. Have the kids start right off the bat making their name their own legacy.
Why on earth wouldn't they use Charles or Diana? I think that Charles deserves a nod from Harry after all his effforts to make megahn welcome. And Diana is the baby's grandmother.. just as much as Doria Ragland....

Actually, one of the primary reasons why I don't think they'll use Charles or Diana is it is definitely tabloid fodder for all kinds of comparisons. Charlotte actually honors both parents with the feminine form of Charles in Charlotte and Diana as a middle name. Charles, Earl Spencer's daughter is Charlotte Diana also and I think the Sussexes will steer away from using those names. Not saying there's anything wrong with the names but I do think they'll want something different.

Maybe something like Charlene for a middle name for a girl? Anna Charlene or Mary Charlene? Carolina?

I've not gotten a name picked right yet so don't go by me for good suggestions. :lol:

I don't think they'll be name a daughter Diana - I agree with Osipi - but I'd be surprised if they don't use it as a second or third name.

Why on earth wouldn't they use Charles or Diana? I think that Charles deserves a nod from Harry after all his effforts to make megahn welcome. And Diana is the baby's grandmother.. just as much as Doria Ragland....

As for Diana, like many have said she’ll be recognized, but perhaps in a different form to find a better balance between honoring her while not making this child carry the heavy weight in public that comes with that name. I would say the same for Charles for a boy. It has nothing to do with Doria. If the media and public all of sudden starts to have all kinds of comparison and expectation on this child or she starts having the same public role, I’d say the same. Although, many of us are suggesting Loyce to honor her rather than Doria as well.

I like Loyce too. Honors Doria while allowing the baby to have his/her own name.

The main reason why I think they won't go with these obvious family names as a first name is because they're dead set on doing it their own way, with their own ideas and views of the world. Naming a potential daughter Diana does not fit in with that narrative.

I’m sure Meghan would like to honor her side as well as Harry’s. One of the baby’s name will probably honor the Raglands, since she was close to her grandmother. I doubt they’ll use Diana since that’s Charlotte’s middle name. They’ll probably use Frances for a girl or Charles after Pa and the late Earl Spencer.

Louis is William's and George's middle names, yet the Cambridges used it for baby Louis.

Louis is William's and George's middle names, yet the Cambridges used it for baby Louis.

William is Louis’ father and George is his brother. Even if Diana is their child’s grandmother too, I doubt Harry and Meghan would use her name after William gave it Charlotte. They would honor Diana’s memory in another way.

Actually, one of the primary reasons why I don't think they'll use Charles or Diana is it is definitely tabloid fodder for all kinds of comparisons. Charlotte actually honors both parents with the feminine form of Charles in Charlotte and Diana as a middle name. Charles, Earl Spencer's daughter is Charlotte Diana also and I think the Sussexes will steer away from using those names. Not saying there's anything wrong with the names but I do think they'll want something different.

Maybe something like Charlene for a middle name for a girl? Anna Charlene or Mary Charlene? Carolina?

I've not gotten a name picked right yet so don't go by me for good suggestions. :lol:

Not sure why, it is kind of expected in the RF to honour relatives by using their names, Will has used Charles' name for his younger son and for Charlotte and of course Diana's name and the queens as second and third names. the Philllipses have used Elizabeth as a second name for daughters, Lena Eliz Tindall and Isla Eliz Phillips. I don't quite see what the tabloids have to do with it...

Yes, and three of the Queen's four granddaughters have Elizabeth as a name. I think Harry and Meghan will probably use Diana as a second or third name for a daughter. But I could be wrong.

Yes, and three of the Queen's four granddaughters have Elizabeth as a name. I think Harry and Meghan will probably use Diana as a second or third name for a daughter. But I could be wrong.

I hope they will, I cant imagine why they wouldn't honour Harry's mother....

I don't think William and Catherine using a name as Charlotte's middle name, is going to deter Harry and Meghan. Elizabeth and Mary are used quite extensively in the Queen's grandchildren (3/4 are Elizabeth, 2/4 Mary) and great grandchildren (3/5 are Elizabeth). If Meghan and Harry wish to use Diana, I don't think much would stop them, but I think they're both smart enough not to saddle a child with Diana as a first name, the lifelong shadow the poor girl would reside in would be too much.

Personally, I think for a girl they'll go with Victoria, Alice or Alexandra for a first name. And Diana, Elizabeth, Jeanette (for Meghan's grandmother), Doria or Loyce, as middle name options. Maybe even Rachel.

Boys first names will likely draw more from Harry's side, as Meghan is currently estranged from most of the males in her family line. So I'd look at David, Charles or Edward for first names, maybe Alexander as a dark horse. And middle names Spencer, Henry, Albert, George and Loyce (which is really very interchangable and a good way to honor Doria no matter the gender.).

As far as godparents, I wouldn't be surprised to see Serena or Priyanka named from Meghan's pool. And a Van Custem from Harry's. Perhaps Eugenie and Jack Brookbanks.

The main reason why I think they won't go with these obvious family names as a first name is because they're dead set on doing it their own way, with their own ideas and views of the world. Naming a potential daughter Diana does not fit in with that narrative.

Doing it their own way doesn’t mean they won’t use it. They will use it if they want to. Not because of any public expectation. And let’s be honest, they not THAT out there. Just more relaxed.

As for the issue of others in the family already have used it, I don’t think that’ll stop anybody either. While Louis is George’s middle name, it’s also the first name for Laura Lopes’ son. So if a cousin have used it as a middle name or whatever, it’s not an issue.

Charles has been honored in William and all William’s three children.
Charles Philip Arthur George
William Arthur Philip Louis
George Alexander Louis
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
Louis Arthur Charles

They can still use a name that has already been used.

How about Eliza/Elisa? I had a classmate who was Elisa but I was never found of the name, but when I saw the movie Shape of Water it quite grew on me. I think it's because of the pronunciation, in Portugal the name is pronounced like "Eliza"beth ("i" is "e" sound), but in english, Elisa/Eliza is pronounced differently ("i" is "i" sound). I like english sound way better.
Because of the variant in sound, the name would still honor QEII but will have a distinct sound.

Unlikely. If they are going to honour the queen Im sure they will use Elizabeth in full

William is Louis’ father and George is his brother. Even if Diana is their child’s grandmother too, I doubt Harry and Meghan would use her name after William gave it Charlotte. They would honor Diana’s memory in another way.

All the queen's eldest granddaughters (per family) have Elizabeth as one of their middle names, so I see little reason why Diana's children cannot do the same (if that's their wish).

I think it would cause a media splash about Edwina's personal life that wouldn't be welcome.

Harry and Meghan could still use Edwina. It would not have to be in honor of Countess Edwina Mountbatten. There was a King Edwin of England.

Harry and Meghan could still use Edwina. It would not have to be in honor of Countess Edwina Mountbatten. There was a King Edwin of England.

But neither has much connection to the couple personally. And that seems to be the preference for this couple: personal. And if it’s not to honor someone, I’m sure it’s a name they’ve liked for a long time. And Edwina isn’t a lot of people’s tea. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom