Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but Meghan hasn't ever been built up, at least not by British tabloids. She's always been treated as the interloper. There's been no honeymoon period for her with the London Press.

Catherine was treated as an interloper, too. She was regularly criticized for being too middle class (not our sort), and there were endless articles about how none of William's friends liked her. All of this was in addition to the mockery she faced for years for being "Waity Katie." Meghan is getting the same treatment, with the added complication that she is an American, a former actress, and bi-racial,(so really, really not our sort). It's what the British tabloid press do, and they haven't accorded either of the duchesses any honeymoon period. Vile innuendo is their stock in trade, with just enough fawning to give themselves plausible deniability.

But Kate's criticism came mainly in the period before her engagement. The tabloids drew their claws in considerably after that, and I remember there being quite a few favourable articles both then and after the wedding. I'd like to know what fawning Meghan's received from any of the tabloids!

I wonder why they treat her differently to Kate, then?

Foreigner, 'a Yank'
Older,
Bi-racial,
An actress,
Divorcee,
Hideous family

That gives the Tabloids more than enough material to build half truths on.

Ok I'll say what no one wants to...Because Meghan is Biracial with a black mother, American, former actress etc and she is not like the lily white British commoners who married into the British Royal Family previously.

Last edited:
Foreigner, 'a Yank'
Older,
Bi-racial,
An actress,
Divorcee,
Hideous family

Why would these things put people off her?

People get put off Meghan by reading the constant negative spin the tabloids put on every one of those things. It panders to xenophobia, racism, dislike of showbiz people, those who compare her to Wallis Simpson, those who don't like divorce, the constant reporting of what her terrible family says about her, etc etc etc

Why would these things put people off her?
Because apparently she’ll thicken the thin blue blood. :ermm: Seriously, this was really said by one of their columns.

Like Ista said earlier. She’s not only not of our sort. But REALLY REALLY not of our sort.

Last edited:
People get put off Meghan by reading the constant negative spin the tabloids put on every one of those things. It panders to xenophobia, racism, dislike of showbiz people, those who compare her to Wallis Simpson, those who don't like divorce, the constant reporting of what her terrible family says about her, etc etc etc

Really? Who are these people who "don't like divorce?"

There are those cretins who comment in the online section of the Fail who infer that Meghan is a disgusting female who has been through two or even three husbands already.

The Daily Fail and other tabloids have written several articles about how Meghan supposedly treated her ex husband, though he has never said anything. The tabloids love it, paying ex friends to grub through details of Meghan's marriage with Trevor, and including an imaginary alleged contract about any pregnancy etc.

The British tabloids have just been absolutely disgraceful in their insinuations about this woman since it first became known that Harry was dating her. And the onslaught continues today, literally. Innuendos about the BRF being dragged into American IRS business and her being 'a whirlwind' changing everything and harassing her aides etc, in the last 24 hours.

Last edited:
Really? Who are these people who "don't like divorce?"

Plenty of people apparently. Even though it’s so common in society now. It was even discussed here and some felt like they shouldn’t even have a proper wedding or Meghan shouldn’t have a proper wedding dress as a result.

The British tabloids have just been absolutely disgraceful in their insinuations about this woman since it first became known that Harry was dating her. And the onslaught continues today. Innuendos about the BRF being dragged into American IRS business and her being 'a whirlwind' changing everything and harassing her aides etc.
Yes, I couldn’t believe they actually tried to push a negative spin on a woman wanting to work and exhibiting good work ethic. I’m not sure who they were trying to insult there. Meghan or the rest of the royal family. Besides, isn’t work ethic what people have been complaining about regarding the younger generation of working royals? People should be estatic now.

And btw, I also found the way they made her sound to be extremely sexist when they talk about her willingness to work. When was the last time a man was dragged for working hard? I guess if we can’t make her to be lazy, then let’s make her sound like a bitch for working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foreigner, 'a Yank'
Older,
Bi-racial,
An actress,
Divorcee,
Hideous family

Kate is older than William -(it may not be 3 years but older all the same).
Sarah is older than Andrew (divorced)
Camilla is older than Charles (they are both divorced and remarried)
Anne is older than Timothy (Anne divorced and remarried to Timothy)
Princess Michael of Kent is also a foreigner, and is divorced from first husband before marrying Prince Michael of Kent.
Lord Frederick Windsor's wife Sophie is an actress, and I think still is.
Lady Davina Lewis is married to a divorced Maori man from New Zealand.

So everything they seem to hate they already have.
So why single out Meghan.

The DF only manages to bring Meghan and the RF closer together - nothing helps bonding more than sharing common injustice and harrassment.

Princess Michael of Kent is also a foreigner, and is divorced from first husband before marrying Prince Michael of Kent.

This is the same time all of that have been wrapped up in one package. Plus, the last three is either unpopular or way too far away from the down to matter much in the tabloids. Princess Michael has publicly talked about bejng ostracized as a foreigner by Brits before.

Kate is older than William by months, you can’t make a big deal about that. Especially since she married in younger. Same for Sarah. I can’t recall how many comments about Meghan’s potential fertility or lack thereof I’ve seen. In fact, that’s one of the first things people on here delved into when it became known they are dating. Obviously, we now know apparently you can conceive rather quickly in your 30s, but some made it seem as if she’s barren before. I also don’t think you can attribute divorce to Sarah as she was not divorced when she married Andrew. And do we really need to go into the controversy involved with C&C?

Last edited:
But Kate's criticism came mainly in the period before her engagement. The tabloids drew their claws in considerably after that, and I remember there being quite a few favourable articles both then and after the wedding. I'd like to know what fawning Meghan's received from any of the tabloids!

While there was plenty of nastiness prior to the engagement, there was also a lot of that afterwards, especially after George was born: lots of handwringing about the (potentially) undesirable influences of Carole (a former air hostess! how déclassé!) on the future heir to the throne. Every time William appeared without Catherine, or saw friends socially without her it was pointed out how much Catherine was loathed, and how their marriage was already showing signs of strain, etc. Really. Go back and reread some of this stuff. It was bad. The claws didn't retract noticeably until after Charlotte was born.

Just pointing out that while Meghan has vulnerable spots to pick at that Catherine didn't/doesn't--and yes, I forgot the divorcee thing--picking is what the tabloid press do. It's how they operate. If Meghan weren't American, a former actress, etc. they would still be targeting her. It would just be using different ammunition.

And a combination of fawning coupled with an oblique criticism is also how the tabloid press operates: How beautiful Meghan/Catherine/whoever looks in her VERY EXPENSIVE DESIGNER DRESS LOOK SHE"S WASTING TAXPAYER MONEY, but isn't she lovely?

It's me or there's a smear campaign going on ?
Wonder where does that come from ...

I think it is just the usual from the press. Some of them delight in tearing people down and the "new girl" is often the target. It just happens more quickly nowadays with social media and the 24/7 news cycle.
But Meghan's differentness, just sweetens the pot for those negative articles.

Last edited:

Because Meghan is all those things and they can. And because Harry didn't marry the blonde English girl with the scandalous family but the proper blue blood.

Her Royal Highness has done a beautiful job since joining the royal family and she outdid herself on their most recent foreign tour. She still in the process of getting ready to announce her first patronage’s. There’s so much more to come and I and so many others are excited about that.

While there was plenty of nastiness prior to the engagement, there was also a lot of that afterwards, especially after George was born: lots of handwringing about the (potentially) undesirable influences of Carole (a former air hostess! how déclassé!) on the future heir to the throne. Every time William appeared without Catherine, or saw friends socially without her it was pointed out how much Catherine was loathed, and how their marriage was already showing signs of strain, etc. Really. Go back and reread some of this stuff. It was bad. The claws didn't retract noticeably until after Charlotte was born.

Just pointing out that while Meghan has vulnerable spots to pick at that Catherine didn't/doesn't--and yes, I forgot the divorcee thing--picking is what the tabloid press do. It's how they operate. If Meghan weren't American, a former actress, etc. they would still be targeting her. It would just be using different ammunition.

And a combination of fawning coupled with an oblique criticism is also how the tabloid press operates: How beautiful Meghan/Catherine/whoever looks in her VERY EXPENSIVE DESIGNER DRESS LOOK SHE"S WASTING TAXPAYER MONEY, but isn't she lovely?

I remember those nasty articles about Kate and her family too, especially her mother and her mother's family.

There were also a number of trash articles at the time of the Queen's Jubilee, because Kate's family were invited to events and they had the audacity to attend!

I think because we never actually hear a peep from Kate's mother and father and they keep a fairly low profile, most of the time the press finds other targets, like Meghan right now, more valuable.

Yes, but Meghan hasn't ever been built up, at least not by British tabloids. She's always been treated as the interloper. There's been no honeymoon period for her with the London Press.

They have always torn her down and have never built her up. If this is the honeymoon I would hate to see the marriage.

They try to demonize her for being a hard worker or writing a book without telling them.

She is going through her first pregnancy and they have done nothing but try to cause her undo tress over FAKE controversies and lies that they twist out of benign stories. Its time for the royal family to step in!!

Yes, I couldn’t believe they actually tried to push a negative spin on a woman wanting to work and exhibiting good work ethic. I’m not sure who they were trying to insult there. Meghan or the rest of the royal family. Besides, isn’t work ethic what people have been complaining about regarding the younger generation of working royals? People should be estatic now.

And btw, I also found the way they made her sound to be extremely sexist when they talk about her willingness to work. When was the last time a man was dragged for working hard? I guess if we can’t make her to be lazy, then let’s make her sound like a bitch for working.

Did they honestly try to demonize a woman for having a solid work ethic? Perhaps they expected her to lay around all day and eat bon bons. If anything that explains why Charles likes her since he is also a hard worker. But those attributes in Charles are praised while the press criticizes Meghan for also having a work ethic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-reveal-Hurricane-Meghan-shaking-Royals.html

Getting up at 5am, bombarding aides with texts and her eyebrow-raising fashion: Palace insiders reveal how Hurricane Meghan is shaking up the Royals six months after the wedding

> The House of Windsor welcomed Meghan Markle into the fold six months ago
> The new Duchess of Sussex has wasted no time in putting her stamp on The Firm
> She has proved to be less of a breath of fresh air and more of a whirlwind

What a load if trash. Where could i start?

Black only for memorials- should I post hundreds of links of young and older royals wearing black for day and evening events if all forms :bang:

Skirts that aren't below the knee? Again should we post the other royal ladies.

Foreign fashion designers? Sounding like a broken record.

The celebrities she is bringing into the Royal fold? The DM have short memories and forgot the multitude of celebrities at every Royal wedding. Or commonly at Royal events. Unlike some Royal wedding, where the celebrities were mainly people they may gave met a handful of times at charity events, Meghan has many personal friends and coworkers who are celebrities. And Harry had his own on the list as well.

Wow she sends six text messages a day. I can see how exhausting that must be :whistling: Oretty sure that it us their job and they get paid very well to deal with the scheduling and ideas of the royals.

The Gloucesters are suddenly not wanting to move. The article sounding like Meghan seems to be behind the push. How is it for years the DM claims the Gloucrsters have offered to move out but are now suggesting it was never their idea. Makes Harry and Megan sound like they are trying to force an elderly couple out of their home.

Or now the drama she is causing with Kate. And the moving of offices is because of it. Or insinuating staff who had planned to leave before she she Harry were engaged like EFL are leaving due to her.

Only slightly nice thing is saying her and Charles are close. But then they take the negative swing that it's because they are both divorcees and from scandalous backgrounds.

She is going through her first pregnancy and they have done nothing but try to cause her undo tress over FAKE controversies and lies that they twist out of benign stories. Its time for the royal family to step in!!

What do you suggest the royal family does?

I personally don't think Meghan stesses about nonsense that is published about her (didn't she say that she doesn't even reac it). What she most likely did stress about was the situation with her father but while the media certainly exploited that situation the primary ones to blame would be her own family members.

What a load if trash. Where could i start?

Black only for memorials- should I post hundreds of links of young and older royals wearing black for day and evening events if all forms :bang:

Skirts that aren't below the knee? Again should we post the other royal ladies.

Foreign fashion designers? Sounding like a broken record.

The celebrities she is bringing into the Royal fold? The DM have short memories and forgot the multitude of celebrities at every Royal wedding. Or commonly at Royal events. Unlike some Royal wedding, where the celebrities were mainly people they may gave met a handful of times at charity events, Meghan has many personal friends and coworkers who are celebrities. And Harry had his own on the list as well.

Wow she sends six text messages a day. I can see how exhausting that must be :whistling: Oretty sure that it us their job and they get paid very well to deal with the scheduling and ideas of the royals.

The Gloucesters are suddenly not wanting to move. The article sounding like Meghan seems to be behind the push. How is it for years the DM claims the Gloucrsters have offered to move out but are now suggesting it was never their idea. Makes Harry and Megan sound like they are trying to force an elderly couple out of their home.

Or now the drama she is causing with Kate. And the moving of offices is because of it. Or insinuating staff who had planned to leave before she she Harry were engaged like EFL are leaving due to her.

Only slightly nice thing is saying her and Charles are close. But then they take the negative swing that it's because they are both divorcees and from scandalous backgrounds.

This is a pattern they have all had to endure, like it or not. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Anne was one of the early ones to have to endure the press criticism, even though she as a princess of the blood. Her response, guided by her father, was to focus on what matters and let her work do the talking. The rest is history. Meghan will do well to follow that.

It is suggested that she is committed to her work, and has a strong work ethic. As long as she does that, within the constraints of her position in the RF, she will be fine. Along the way, she will have to work hard to be accepted by the British people. That will mean working away in unglamorous locations, on causes that really matter to the British people. Also, patronising foreign luxury brands when on official engagements will certainly not help.

This is a pattern they have all had to endure, like it or not. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. Anne was one of the early ones to have to endure the press criticism, even though she as a princess of the blood. Her response, guided by her father, was to focus on what matters and let her work do the talking. The rest is history. Meghan will do well to follow that.

It is suggested that she is committed to her work, and has a strong work ethic. As long as she does that, within the constraints of her position in the RF, she will be fine. Along the way, she will have to work hard to be accepted by the British people. That will mean working away in unglamorous locations, on causes that really matter to the British people. Also, patronising foreign luxury brands when on official engagements will certainly not help.

Yes, Anne faced some really cruel commentary, and that was back when overall, the tabloids were a bit more restrained. It's easy to forget that, or, if one is too young to even know about it, but Anne worked very, very hard to be taken seriously. Many of us joke about her rewearing clothing that is 30+ years old, but I believe she does so in part because she just.does.not.care what the press says about her anymore, and she is thumbing her nose.

Both Camilla and Catherine are following the pattern Anne laid down in terms of work hard and ignore the rest, and Meghan seems to be doing the same, which is very wise of her. And yes, she is also being watched by the British public, and everything she does and how she comports herself will be judged. Welcome to the BRF, it happens to them all. Wait until the children are old enough to have to deal with the tabloids, and we'll see it all play out again.

Edited to add: And it is always disproportionately directed at the women, although Prince Charles might take issue with that after some of the things that have been written about him in the past.

Last edited:
I shouldn't think Anne ever cared what the media said about her.... they have never really liked her much and in her young days, she was very much critiicsed.

The tabloids are using this line of attack on Meghan because the Markles are useless to them. They have nothing new. They rehash the old grievances and commenters are tired of it. Without fresh material the tabloids lose an audience (meaning money).

I would like to point out that referring to the dog whistling Daily Fail as the representation of the British public is incredibly amiss. They represent a very, very special part of the populace but by no means the majority.

How about we actually look the recent royal popularity report from within the UK:

Dislike Catherine: 9%
Dislike Meghan: 10%

Meghan actually had a 55% 'Like' rate, while being complete new addition to the family family. The remaining 35% of the people were either 'Neutral' or 'Undecided'.

Meghan is by no means unpopular - the Fail and Sun are following their own agenda.

It also doesn't help the 'oh they did it to all' narrative, that they have elevated Catherine to a point where she might as well be up for sainthood and Meghan is always served up as the negative counter point. (from asinine articles about makeup(that wasn't even true) to how Catherine is now wearing the 'proper and beautiful' headbands to distance herself from frumpy Meghan)'Good' vs 'bad' - always was a popular story and it seem the tabloid media doesn't care how they are getting that narrative as long as it stands. It's not the least bit transparent that the sudden and drastic shift in tone occurred in Nov 2016.

I will say it again...the BIGGEST difference between Meghan and all the other British royal brides before her who were also older, foreign born, divorced, had their own professional career etc is that Meghan is BIRACIAL and her mother is BLACK!!!!! I do not underestimate that RACISM plays a part in the negative media narrative against Meghan. But the cowardly and hypocritical British press, especially the tabloids, aren't as racially blatant since Prince Harry issued that unprecedented statement in November 2016 so they are now using different tactics!

Last edited:
I will say it again...the BIGGEST difference between Meghan and all the other British royal brides before her who were also older, foreign born, divorced, had their own professional career etc is that Meghan is BIRACIAL and her mother is BLACK!!!!! I do not underestimate that RACISM plays a part in the negative media narrative against Meghan. But the cowardly and hypocritical British press, especially the tabloids, aren't as racially blatant since Prince Harry issued that unprecedented statement in November 2016 so they are now using different tactics!
You are obviously well within your right to hold that opinion, but that is not one I necessarily subscribe to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom