The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...se-naesten-alt

Joachim and our Marie took part in an event promoting a book with the title Fyrstelige Måltider = Royal/audacious meals.
The book cover courses that used to be served for royals (not only Danish I believe) and they could be very elaborate and also very special!
I don't think I'll actually buy the book, as I Jutlander I'm genetically disposed towards having a very close and loving relationship with my money and my wallet should preferably be kept well away from light. i.e. stay in my pocket. - I'm sure Danes from other parts of DK will be happy to confirm this stereotype.
But back to the book. But I'd like to read it for free. Sounds like a funny book.

There is also a video where Joachim talks about how he and his brother was introduced to the concept of tasting food. Often food that on the face of it didn't look or sounded particularly palatable.
PH taught them that there is no such thing as bad food, only manners. meaning that you eat what is served, period!
And also that they, and now Athena and Henrik, are allowed to say no to food, provided they have tasted it first.
And sometimes they are not told what it really is until afterwards when they've eaten it. It's a bit hard to say something is gross after you've just munched it down with relish.

- That's a principle we've used with our children as well.
Also when they were little, they ate when they were hungry enough. As a result they are pretty much omnivores today. And both have a very healthy appetite, thank you very much!
Either that or there is a troll living in the fridge emptying it every few days.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Here's a nice additional gallery of today's book presentation:

** ppe gallery **

And two more:

** belga gallery ** rex gallery **

Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...ejrer-legoland

On Saturday the first Legoland park, the one in Billund, Denmark, will celebrate it's 50th anniversary.
Joachim and our Marie will also attend - and although there is no mentioning of their children attending, I think it's pretty safe to assume they will be. So cute pics coming up.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Administrator

That's an event they couldn't miss...

Here are some nice videos and galleries from today:

** kongehuset.dk video ** ppe gallery **

** tvsyd.dk video: Kongelig familie åbnede Legoland ** kendte.dk gallery **

** jv.dk: Kongelige børn i Legolands nye forlystelse: - Det kildede rigtigt meget i maven **

Old 03-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks, Iceflower.

And it looks like the two youngest had a great time.

I see chief Longear has got two squaws to help him. He's been around since forever! He was there when my two children went to Legoland for the first time.
And as mentioned in another thread "indianere" = Native Americans have a very good reputation in Europe.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Nobility

Just for everyones info , wearing indigenous peoples head wear is an incredibly disrespectful thing to do . I understand that they may not be as aware as people in Canada might be about those things but it is wrong none the less.A Headress is a sacred thing and should be treated as such.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
Just for everyones info , wearing indigenous peoples head wear is an incredibly disrespectful thing to do . I understand that they may not be as aware as people in Canada might be about those things but it is wrong none the less.A Headress is a sacred thing and should be treated as such.
Had it been Estelle of Sweden wearing it her parents would've been crucified for allowing it but things are different in Denmark. Not many will raise an eyebrow at Athena wearing this headpiece.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

No one will raise an eyebrow here in DK.

In fact it's the first time I even hear that it is supposed to be disrespectful.

Okay, some of you will no doubt be angry at me, find me boorish and disrespectful. Fair enough, so be it.

I wore feathers and bonnets when I was a child. "Indianere" were more often than not the heroes, because they were cool and could hide and sneak up on anyone.

My own children wore headbands with feathers, and bonnets too. My own daughter wore a squaw suit at Fastalavn (a kind of children's carnival) because she thought that looked cool. None of them would have dreamed about being disrespectful towards "indianere". Otherwise we, their parents, would have stepped in.
My interest in Native American cultures and history started through playing "indianere" and some of that knowledge was passed on to my own children. Hopefully as balanced as possible.

Forgive me but sometimes I think the world is going barking mad!
If people in a foreign country, on a foreign continent even, can't dress up and play pretending they are "indianere" then it is IMO way over the line!
I can understand it if I went to a tribal event in the Americas wearing a feather-bonnet that it would be considered disrespectful.
Just as I wouldn't dream about going inside a village church in say Spain wearing shorts.

Well, if we adhere to that rule, noone outside Scandinavia and Eastern England can dress up like Vikings from now on. Not even in a back garden in Toronto. Because that is hugely disrespectful towards my country, my culture and my ancestors.
Come on! When people elsewhere dress up like Vikings (I even saw a foreign black guy dressed up as a Viking once at a Viking-event here in DK. I can't remember where he came from, but he sure was enthusiastic! ) that's fine with me. I think it's funny and sometimes a little bit silly (when they get it too wrong) but I also feel a little proud that someone is showing an interest in my culture and past.

So if I sound a little angry, it's because I am angry.
And I also feel offended on behalf of Marie and Joachim. They may have their flaws like everyone else, but teaching their children to be disrespectful towards other cultures is not among them!

And can we now please move on to more important issues? Like the social issues the native tribes still face in the Americas...
Old 03-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Nobility

Dressing up in indigenous headdresses is cultural appropriation plain and simple. We don't(thank goodness) paint out faces in black paint and have minstrel shows anymore because it is racist! If indigenous peoples of the americas tell us they are offended by our wearing of their headdresses than it is equally disrespectful. As a non indigenous person it is not up to me to decide what another group finds offensive, I must listen to them to truly understand. As a person of european descent with some scandinavian in me I can wear a viking costume if I choose.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Majesty

It's one of the Legoland themes, I've found pictures of Christian and Isabella (and their second cousins) and ofJosephine and Vincent (with Christian and countess Ingrid) with a feather as well on previous visits.

So, if the specific indigenous people that Legoland tries to imitate oppose they should address the issue with Legoland.

On the other hand, many indigenous people or people from different countries appreciate it (or are rather indifferent) when people dress up in their traditional costumes as long as it is done respectfully. However, it is a sensitive issue and it is hard to do it right.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Had it been Estelle of Sweden wearing it her parents would've been crucified for allowing it but things are different in Denmark. Not many will raise an eyebrow at Athena wearing this headpiece.
Seriously...?? Is this really what the Sweden I once lived in has become?
How sad.

I am glad it doesn't raise eyebrows in Denmark. May it stay that way.
Neither does it where I am.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

(To Marlene)

Who says so?
Tsi-nah-pa from the Tineh tribe? Who is probably more concerned about making ends meet, unemployment and worried about his children becoming drug addicts or that his daughters might be subjected to domestic abuse.
Or is it because someone, who claims to speak on behalf of all Native Americans, says so? - To suit their own agenda...

Or as an atonement for the past?
Canadas record in that regards in pretty good. In the decade after Little Big Horn a number of prairie tribes sought refuge in, or tried to reach, Canada. - And were granted asylum there.
And despite some difficulties your Mounties in particular, actually managed to keep the situation fairly peaceful - at least in Canada.
That Canada also faced strong domestic as well as foreign political pressure to expel the tribes is another matter.

No, the groups where blacks performed together with white, with blackened faces, is fortunately in the past, because that was meant to be racists.
However, telling people in foreign country that their children can't dress up and play "indianere", what do you call that?
Children play what they learn, and they learn through play.
How can children on other continents learn about Native American cultures and people if they can't play them?

Oh, and don't go to the Netherlands and tell them to get rid of their Black Peter. You may face a very negative reaction!

You say that because you have traces of Scandinavian blood in you, you can dress up as a Viking. I say no go. You are a Canadian. Unless you are a first generation Scandinavian you are showing disrespect to my culture, my heritage and my history. - Remember I'm a Scandinavian it's what I tell you that matters - you said so yourself in regards to Native Americans...

It's of course nonsense! You can dress up as a Viking every day for the rest of your life if you like. You can even wear a horned helmet pretending you are a shield maiden. The worst thing that will happen is that I will find you looking silly for wearing such a helmet.
You can wear a Thor's hammer if you think that's decorative, despite that fact that the Asa-faith is an official religion in Scandinavia.

- So instead of telling other people what they can't do, how about telling us about Native Americans in Canada instead?
Teach us something about the significance and meaning of a wearing a feather-bonnet instead.
Share your knowledge about Native American culture instead of being so politically correct, because then you will do something good for the native nations your obviously and rightly respect so much.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Nobility

Please read this article as it explains the reason behind my comments.
An Open Letter to Non-Natives in Headdresses | âpihtawikosisân
Old 03-24-2018, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you, Marlene.
That I appreciate, since it means I can learn something. - I may not agree, but I learn something.
I read it later when our guests have left.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Majesty

Thanks, indeed informative. The main argument seems to be that certain headdresses can only be worn after achieving a specific achievement (by men from that specific tribe) and therefore should be treated as restricted; while most clothing is NOT restricted. The link provided in the link (see below) states specifically that the type (band with one feather) that the children wear is one that has NO symbolic meaning (unless it is an eagle feather), so that suggests to me that that specific one, just like other native clothing is in the 'non-restricted' category according to this writer.

Quote:
Unlike many of the Native American headdresses on this page, both men and women wore headbands, which were not associated with war. The number and type of feather did not usually have special symbolic meaning, though in a few tribes that bordered the Plains eagle feathers were reserved for warriors. For the most part, Woodland Indian head bands were worn for their beauty, and were often decorated with intricate patterns, wampum, beads, and quillwork.

Source

So, the headdress of the 'chief' in Legoland is most likely the one that would be considered inappropriate by native americans, not the one that they hand out (or have on sale) for children.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see Henrik and Athena at the event, this was a great opportunity to bring them along to an engagement.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #14, 2018.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Recently Legoland, Denmark celebrated it's 50th anniversary, so J&M along with three children went over to central Jutland to open the whole show.
It was actually pretty cold that day!
The whole opening started with a countdown, then Henrik and Athena should press a button made from legobricks. The two children pressed all they have learned - never thinking about the dude sitting somewhere flicking a switch at the same time.
Mademoiselle Athena was in great form, she and her mother each got a bouquet of flowers upon arrival, and that was appreciated! The last time she went to Legoland, at least on the job, she got a bouquet made from legobricks. - She's growing up.

It was the head of the Lego-family and the business himself, Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen, along with his wife, Camilla, who guided J&M around the park.
But it wasn't the end of work for the children, because they were also tasked with planting a small flag among the exhibitions and that they did and posed nicely for the photographers.
Well, it was certainly Athena who was the center of attention for our photographer, she's a girl, smiling and charming and life isn't fair to boys. Boys are boring, so Henrik drew backseat...

then the whole family went over to the Western part of the park. It's one of the oldest attractions of the park, it was even around in my childhood. Complete with a brick-replica of Mount Rushmore, a western town where you can wash gold out of a little stream. The "gold" you wash out is then melted into a medallion. Children have fallen for that one for now three generations.
There is also a native village, complete with teepees and indianere, who look suspiciously like Danes, and also speak with the local accent...
But the chief, Chief Longear, he's pretty cool!
As mentioned several times before Prairie-indianere in special have a very good image in Europe.
So all three children were made members of the tribe and each issued a feather. Felix, being a real big-brother, also wore one.
And then it was time to try the new ride in the indianer-village, Flying Eagle. Afterwards miss Athena laughed to our reporter: "It tickled a whole lot in the belly."
Even her brother, who is otherwise very much into wheels and cars, said: "It was fun and it went fast."

So it was a good day.

But see for yourselves here: BB #14, 2018
Old 05-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Today, May 29, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie held a reception for representatives of the charities they support. The reception took place at Schackenborg Castle:

** BB: Prins Joachim og prinsesse Marie var tilbage på Schackenborg Slot ** translation **
Old 05-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

More photos from today

https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...ae&oe=5B8AFCBC
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...56&oe=5BB87653
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...eb&oe=5B821677
Old 05-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks Iceflower & Eya.

Our Marie looks comfortable and elegant. And who can't help admiring Joachim's perfect summer-attire. - Even if he lost bet with Haakon during the recent celebrations and had to wear these shoes.

Tags
current events, prince joachim, prince joachim and princess marie, princess marie