General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 5: September 2019 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Lord ,I'm glad to hear he is stable but what a terrible worry for his family.

You are fast, Eya!
The news broke minutes ago.

There will no doubt be more news during the evening and tomorrow.

If the DRF members rush to see Joachim, there will of course be reason for genuine concern.
We may also expect some serious news regarding his recovery, depending on how serious the stroke was.

ADDED:
Toulouse is located fairly close to Cayx, so I guess the family was there, or visiting members of Marie's family who live closer to Toulouse.

ADDED:
I do find it worrying that he was rushed in to undergo surgery. As far as I understand most blod-cloths in the brain are today treated medically.

Last edited:
No doubt it's a stroke .... and it's not a good time to be in hospital nowadays.
Hope he's ok ...

What unexpected news! I hope Prince Joachim is stable.

I hope he gets well soon. Sending him, Marie and the children all positive thoughts,

I've done some reading and there is genuine reason for concern.

What struck me is that Joachim underwent surgery. In practically all brief articles about strokes I've read, surgery is not even mentioned, only medical treatment.

Surgery is usually used when for whatever reason medical treatment is not possible/practical or when a blood cloth has formed in a larger vessel in the brain - i.e. a major stroke.

A stroke must be treated fast to avoid aftereffects.
If it is treated (medically) within 1½ hours up to one in three patients will avoid serious aftereffects.
If treated within 2 hours, one in eight patients will avoid serious after effects.
If treated within 4½ hours one in ten patients will avoid serious aftereffects.

More serious treatment must take place within 24 hours.

As far as I can deduce it seems more likely that Joachim had a brain hemorrhage. Which is more serious.
The fatality rate during the acute phase is 2-3 times higher than for those who had a blood-cloth in the brain. And around 25-35 % die within the first month.
70-75 % survive the first year. Of course that is an average, that includes people who are older and more fragile than Joachim.

Rehabilitation will take place as soon as possible, preferably beginning on the first day after a stroke.

- Based on that I find it more than likely that Joachim will be off duty for quite a while, months at best I fear. And the odds of him not suffering from permanent aftereffects are not good.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

But we most expect paralysis in some form, perhaps permanent.
Speech impediments and perhaps cognitive problems, even personality changes.
Joachim will be very lucky to get off this lightly and have a full recovery within months.

I think it is likely that we will be told that Mary will be Rigsforstander Monday.

Question for Danish speakers about the statement: Running the statement through Google Translate to go from Danish to English, I'm confused about the meaning of the sentence toward the end,"Kongehuset har på nuvaerende tidspunkt ikke yderligere oplysninger men det er Hendes Majestaet Dronningens onske at familien far ro fra offentligheden under indleaggelsen."

Google translates it as "The Royal House currently has no further information, but it is Her Majesty the Queen's wish that the family be reassured by the public during the admission."

I have a feeling this may miss the meaning. Are they saying the family wants to reassure the public or that the family is seeking moral support from the public?

UPDATE: Never mind. I read another translation that said the Queen hopes the public will leave the family in peace during all this.

Last edited:
You are fast, Eya!
The news broke minutes ago.

There will no doubt be more news during the evening and tomorrow.

If the DRF members rush to see Joachim, there will of course be reason for genuine concern.
We may also expect some serious news regarding his recovery, depending on how serious the stroke was.

ADDED:
Toulouse is located fairly close to Cayx, so I guess the family was there, or visiting members of Marie's family who live closer to Toulouse.

ADDED:
I do find it worrying that he was rushed in to undergo surgery. As far as I understand most blod-cloths in the brain are today treated medically.

This sounds rather serious; it could very well be a life-altering event. Is there any evidence of heart and vascular diseases being prevalent within the family?

According to a Dutch website by the Heart Foundation; surgery is typically applied if the blood-cloth is in the carotid artery (of course, France may use different guidelines); and thrombolysis (applying medicine) is only useful within 4,5 hours of the onset of symptoms.

Very recently pictures of Felix' 18th birthday were released and seemed to have been taken at Cayx, so I assume they were still spending their holiday there.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this may miss the meaning. Are they saying the family wants to reassure the public or that the family is seeking moral support from the public?
The court is asking for the public to respect the family's privacy during Joachim's hospitalisation.

:previous:

I hope everythinh going well for the Prince

"His Royal Highness Prince Joachim was admitted to the University Hospital of Toulouse, France, late last night. The prince was operated on immediately afterwards for a blood clot in the brain and the operation was successful. The condition of His Royal Highness is stable today.

The Royal House does not currently have further information, but it is Her Majesty the Queen's wish that the family be reassured by the public during the hospitalization. Her Royal Highness Princess Marie is with her husband.""

H.K.H. Prins Joachim indlagt i Frankrig | Kongehuset

Thank you for the translation. I am shocked. I wish a speedy and well recovery for for His Royal Highness.

That was unexpected and made me very saddened to hear.

That he had an emergency surgery and that the Royal House did NOT go public with this information immediately indicates to me that he was bluelighted in as a Prio 1 patient (the code for possibly lifethreatening) and that they did not want to release anything until they knew that Prince Joachim was going to survive...

I wonder if The Queen and The Crown Prince will depart / have departed Denmark.... Having them in Toulouse would alarm every journalist and have the media camping around the hospital... That would be horrible in these Covid-19 times so i can imagine them staying back if it’s not extremly serious and have Princess Marie reporting to them...

I guess we just have to wait and see. IF The Crown Princess or Princess Benedikte is Rigsforstander next week, we can probably assume that it’s serious...

Last edited:
This sounds rather serious; it could very well be a life-altering event. Is there any evidence of heart and vascular diseases being prevalent within the family?

According to a Dutch website by the Heart Foundation; surgery is typically applied if the blood-cloth is in the carotid artery (of course, France may use different guidelines); and thrombolysis (applying medicine) is only useful within 4,5 hours of the onset of symptoms.

Very recently pictures of Felix' 18th birthday were released and seemed to have been taken at Cayx, so I assume they were still spending their holiday there.

Not that I know of. They are surprisingly healthy despite being heavy smokers. Joachim gave up smoking in December I understand.
But he is not the most physically active person around, he's just naturally slim, but he has been smoking heavily all his adult life, so I don't think his arteries are in great shape!
As for his blood-pressure and cholesterol, who knows?
As for healthy eating, well, he belongs to my generation, so a healthy diet is something our wives impose on us, otherwise...

But perhaps strokes and blood-cloths are more common in PH's family?

I think it's likely his older sons and Alexandra was around as well. That means more people to notice Joachim's symptoms sooner and raise the alarm sooner.

I think it is likely that we will be told that Mary will be Rigsforstander Monday.

Or, alternatively, if Frederick and Mary wish to travel to France as well, Benedikte could be Rigsforstander. At least yesterday she was at Grasten with her sister the queen, so I assume she is still in Denmark and could be Rigsforstander if need be (as she's done in the past).

Or, alternatively, if Frederick and Mary wish to travel to France as well, Benedikte could be Rigsforstander. At least yesterday she was at Grasten with her sister the queen, so I assume she is still in Denmark and could be Rigsforstander if need be (as she's done in the past).

Perhaps.

But if Mary leaves the children alone back in DK, then I think it will inevitably be interpreted as Joachim's condition being critical.
Otherwise I think Joachim will be flown to Rigshospitalet in Copenhagen within the next week. And Marie and the children with him.
I guess they will now have to consider moving back to DK.

When does schools start in France?
Here in DK it's in two weeks.

Last edited:
My dad had a massive stroke and ended up severly disabled, he got the bloodthinning medication 40 minutes after the stroke, still it didn't help him at all.
I read that in the last years, doctors try to remove the bloodclog, basically sucking it out of the stuffed vein, often quite successful. That could have been the operation. But of course I know nothing and just hope that it all goes well for Joachim.

Not that I know of. They are surprisingly healthy despite being heavy smokers. Joachim gave up smoking in December I understand.
But he is not the most physically active person around, he's just naturally slim, but he has been smoking heavily all his adult life, so I don't think his arteries are in great shape!
As for his blood-pressure and cholesterol, who knows?
As for healthy eating, well, he belongs to my generation, so a healthy diet is something our wives impose on us, otherwise...

But perhaps strokes and blood-cloths are more common in PH's family?

I think it's likely his older sons and Alexandra was around as well. That means more people to notice Joachim's symptoms sooner and raise the alarm sooner.

I was indeed thinking about both families.

I suddenly wondered what the cause of death of his grandfather was as he died in his early 70's and looked it up: cardiac arrest: so, also within the group of heart and vascular diseases...

I don't know that much about the Monpezats (which is probably good because why should we know their health history?).

In the USA doctors have found that people (especially young people) are having strokes as a result of having Covid19.

You never know.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

My dad had a massive stroke and ended up severly disabled, he got the bloodthinning medication 40 minutes after the stroke, still it didn't help him at all.
I read that in the last years, doctors try to remove the bloodclog, basically sucking it out of the stuffed vein, often quite successful. That could have been the operation. But of course I know nothing and just hope that it all goes well for Joachim.

We may hope.

As one in every 8-10 Danes suffer a stroke (most when being old though) I know several in my family who had a stroke, but that was years ago and there have been quantum leaps in the treatment since then.
20-30 years ago you were lucky even to survive and for most it meant a permanent disability. Today there is medication, rehabilitation and post-treatment and the treatment he would already have received in France is world-class.

Perhaps.

When does schools start in France?
Here in DK it's in two weeks.

Schools start on September 1st this year in France.

Toulouse University Hospital ( the C.H.U) has been on the top three of the best French hospitals for at least the last 20 years. So I daresay Prince Joachim is in very good hands in this dramatic situation.

Hoping for a complete recovery for Prince Joachim, and also sending good wishes to his family, both immediate and extended. It's a scary time for all of them.

Okay, let's step back a second and look at the reaction time.

Joachim underwent surgery Friday evening. And that would have taken place within very few hours after he developed symptoms.
A local ambulance and doctor would have been called in to Cayx.
The local ambulance-doctor, due to the severity of Joachim's condition (and probably also because of who he is) would likely have called in a helicopter. Cayx is far from everything and a stroke requiring advanced treatment like surgery would have been beyond the capabilities of a local hospital. Toulouse is as far as I can deduce about half an hours flight away by helicopter. (Plus time for the helicopter to arrive.)
He would have been rushed into surgery at once.

Marie is likely to have accompanied him, with Nikolai and Felix (fortunately) looking after Henrik and Athena.
I guess Alexandra would have contacted the DRF (QMII most likely) after the helicopter took off and then she would have awaited news from Marie before passing that on to the DRF, probably late Friday evening or into night.

QMII would likely in the meantime have contacted Frederik and updated him later on when there were more news.

As is I think QMII would have been ready to be flown out from Gråsten Saturday, (Air Base Skrydstrup is nearby and from there an air force Challenger can take her to France) I think it's very likely that at least Frederik drove to Gråsten Saturday morning to be ready to fly with his mother to France. That's three hours drive.
I think they were awaiting news from France about Joachim's condition before finally deciding what to do.

I the meantime I think Mary would have packed and left for Fredensborg with the children during Saturday. Or perhaps for Gråsten to be with her husband. But I think Fredensborg is more likely.
Also, Bendikte is at Gråsten these days, I think she will take over the representative duties she and QMII were to undertake there, while QMII focus on being a concerned mother.

I think QMII and probably Frederik as well will fly to Toulouse tonight or tomorrow morning.
So according to this mental picture, Mary or Benedikte will be appointed Rigsforstander around now.
More likely Mary because if she is in Copenhagen today she will be in position to handle or at least sign some of the administrative details presented by the court administration Sunday. (Benedikte after all doesn't even have a secretary nearby.) Especially if QMII and Frederik decides to stay for days in France, because I believe QMII will remain in France for a while.

After all QMII can't just jump on a plane in fly to France. There are a number of details that needs to be taken care of first.
In no particular order:
Finding PET officers to accompany her and getting them to France as well.
Informing the government. And signing over who will be Regent/Rigsforstander.
Arranging a flight and flight-clearance to France.
Informing the French Foreign Ministry.
Informing French security and giving them time to organize.
Arranging a discreet visit to the hospital in Toulouse while being as little disturbing as possible.
Commandeer a Challenger and a crew and get them to Air Base Skrydstrup.
- All in all a lot of small details that together takes at least a few hours to arrange. My guess is that it was done this forenoon.

I think Benedikte will leave for France in a day or two to support her sister there.

Last edited:

Joachim underwent surgery Saturday evening. And that would have taken place within very few hours after he developed symptoms.
The local ambulance-doctor, due to the severity of Joachim's condition (and probably also because of who he is) would likely have called in a helicopter. Cayx is far from everything and a stroke requiring advanced treatment like surgery would have been beyond the capabilities of a local hospital. Toulouse is as far as I can deduce about half an hours flight away by helicopter. (Plus time for the helicopter to arrive.)

Marie is likely to have accompanied him, with Nikolai and Felix (fortunately) looking after Henrik and Athena.
I guess Alexandra would have contacted the DRF (QMII most likely) after the helicopter took off and then she would have awaited news from Marie before passing that on to the DRF, probably late Saturday evening or into night.

QMII would likely in the meantime have contacted Frederik and updated him later on when there were more news.

As is I think QMII would have been ready to be flown out from Gråsten Sunday, (Air Base Skrydstrup is nearby and from there an air force Challenger can take her to France) I think it's very likely that at least Frederik drove to Gråsten Sunday morning to be ready to fly with his mother to France. That's three hours drive.
I think they were awaiting news from France about Joachim's condition before finally deciding what to do.

I the meantime I think Mary would have packed and left for Fredensborg with the children during Sunday. Or perhaps for Gråsten to be with her husband. But I think Fredensborg is more likely.
Also, Bendikte is at Gråsten these days, I think she will take over the representative duties she and QMII were to undertake there, while QMII focus on being a concerned mother.

I think QMII and probably Frederik as well will fly to Toulouse tonight or tomorrow morning.
So according to this mental picture, Mary or Benedikte will be appointed Rigsforstander around now.
More likely Mary because if she is in Copenhagen today she will be in position to handle or at least sign some of the administrative details presented by the court administration Monday. (Benedikte after all doesn't even have a secretary nearby.) Especially if QMII and Frederik decides to stay for days in France, because I believe QMII will remain in France for a while.

After all QMII can't just jump on a plane in fly to France. There are a number of details that needs to be taken care of first.
In no particular order:
Arranging a discreet visit to the hospital in Toulouse while being as little disturbing as possible.
- All in all a lot of small details that together takes at least a few hours to arrange. My guess is that it was done this forenoon.

I think Benedikte will leave for France in a day or two to support her sister there.

I'm confused. It happened yesterday according to the press release: so both his stroke and at least surgery took place on Friday evening?! Not Saturday evening?! What am I missing? And it is now only Saturday, so anything you are describing as what would have happened on Sunday, is still in the future... Should we subtract one day of all you've written?

So:

Joachim underwent surgery Friday evening. And that would have taken place within very few hours after he developed symptoms.

I guess Alexandra would have contacted the DRF (QMII most likely) after the helicopter took off and then she would have awaited news from Marie before passing that on to the DRF, probably late Saturday evening or into night.

As is I think QMII would have been ready to be flown out from Gråsten Saturday, (Air Base Skrydstrup is nearby and from there an air force Challenger can take her to France) I think it's very likely that at least Frederik drove to Gråsten Saturday morning to be ready to fly with his mother to France. That's three hours drive.

I the meantime I think Mary would have packed and left for Fredensborg with the children during Saturday. Or perhaps for Gråsten to be with her husband. But I think Fredensborg is more likely.

I think QMII and probably Frederik as well will fly to Toulouse tonight (Saturday) or tomorrow (Sunday) morning.
More likely Mary because if she is in Copenhagen today she will be in position to handle or at least sign some of the administrative details presented by the court administration Monday. (Benedikte after all doesn't even have a secretary nearby.) Especially if QMII and Frederik decides to stay for days in France, because I believe QMII will remain in France for a while.

In no particular order:

I don't think Benedikte being at Grasten is a problem for appointing her as Rigsforstander. Queen Margrethe herself was at Grasten with her. And if things would need to be signed it can be brought to her or she has a full day to travel to Copenhagen tomorrow before it's Monday and duties might resume.

Last edited:
I'm confused. It happened yesterday according to the press release: so both his stroke and at least surgery took place on Friday evening?! Not Saturday evening?! What am I missing? And it is now only Saturday, so anything you are describing as what would have happened on Sunday, is still in the future... Should we subtract one day of all you've written?

So:

So was I!

For whatever reason I thought it was Saturday.

My post has been corrected. ?

So was I!

For whatever reason I thought it was Saturday.

My post has been corrected. ?

? For a moment I thought they kept it secret for a week but that didn't make much sense - especially not when I reread the press release... and verified that the posts about Felix' birthday and the queen at Grasten truly were taken this week.

We'll see whether Mary or Benedikte takes over as Rigsforstander and for how long - I assume until Frederik is appointed regent upon his return (assuming he will join his mother to France; alternatively, they could have decided that Frederik stays in Denmark for the time being and Benedikte joins her sister).

In view of the pandemic and all the other complications, wouldn't it make more sense for them to transfer Joachim to a hospital in Denmark as soon as he can travel?

Also, has the court reported that he actually had a stroke? A few years ago, Hillary Clinton had a blood clot on the brain, and she did not have a stroke. She bounced back quickly -- hopefully Joachim will do the same.

If anyone from the family travels to France I believe that it will be Fredrik. Too chancy for QMII to travel due to Covid19 risks with her age.

Yikes, I hope Joachim has a speedy recovery. It must be especially worrying sending a relative to hospital now with everything that's gone on this year.

In view of the pandemic and all the other complications, wouldn't it make more sense for them to transfer Joachim to a hospital in Denmark as soon as he can travel?

Also, has the court reported that he actually had a stroke? A few years ago, Hillary Clinton had a blood clot on the brain, and she did not have a stroke. She bounced back quickly -- hopefully Joachim will do the same.

The wording from the court is "blodprop" = Blood-cloth.
A brain hemorrhage = "hjerneblødning" = Stroke.
But the two terms are often confused here in DK.

So we must assume that it is a blood cloth. However, blood cloths are usually dealt with with medication, or if it is a large blood-cloth with a procedure where the cloth is basically sucked out.
So for the time being we must assume both possibilities to be correct.

Oh dear. I hope he will be better soon and without repercussions from the bloodcloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom