Princess Isabella's confirmation: April 30, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From around noon. That's in less than four hours from this is posted.
I'll provide a running commentary.
The weather is dry and sunny, albeit not too warm, so good photos coming up.

Queen Mathilde is there.

We'll see from the official guest list published later, whether other royals will attend.

It makes sense as Queen Mathilde is Princess Isabella's godmother. I remember Queen Margrethe mentioned it explicitly in her speech at the Belgian state dinner a couple of years ago. She seems to be very fond of the Belgian royal couple, whom she sees as family although King Philippe is actually only a third cousin once removed (he and CP Frederik are fourth cousins).

Christian IX of Denmark > Frederik VIII of Denmark > Christian X of Denmark > Frederik IX of Denmark > Margrether II of Denmark.

Christian IX of Denmark > Frederik VIII of Denmark > Princess Ingeborg of Denmark (later Princess of Sweden) > Astrid, Queen Consort of the Belgians (née Princess of Sweden) > Albert II, King of the Belgians > Philippe, King of the Belgians.

Thanks Muhler! Wonderful to hear Queen Mathilde is there! There was speculation about her attending given her being positive for covid recently.

Checking the BB website, they're all over this confirmation.

I didn't know Queen Mathilde had been positive for Covid recently. I guess I have been too busy at work to follow the royal news. How long ago was that?

Last edited:
I didn't know Queen Mathilde had been positive for Covid recently. I guess I have been too busy at work to follow the royal news. How long ago was that?

Her infection was announced on April 20, she had her first official engagement after this in Brussels on April 26.
So the infection has not been any obstacle.

BB is live from the photoseance
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...aadan-foelger-du-med-i-isabellas-konfirmation

That is about to start shortly.

-------------

Isabella answered quite a few questions.
She was also addressed with formal You, for the first time in an official setting I think.

She has been looking forward to her confirmation.
It really hasn't dawned on her that she "entered the ranks of the adults." - Hasn't been thinking about it.
Looking forward to being celebrated by very close friends.
She miss her Australian family. A pity they couldn't be here.

She hasn't really noticed the very considerable attention her confirmation is getting. (Being the first teen Princess in the DRF for so many years.)

Being in focus on her own, is not something she has tried before, but it''s new and exiting.

And then a journalist asked M&F the most silly question today: "What surprises do you have in store for Isabella later today?" - Frederik: "Well, it wouldn't be a surprise if we told it here."
But Isabella was looking forward to that part!

-----------

She did very well and answered the questions clearly and with confidence.

-------------

As can be expected good photos from Berlingske: https://www.berlingske.dk/danmark/prinsesse-isabella-er-blevet-konfirmeret-en-rigtig-rar-foelelse
https://berlingske.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/resolve/image_x_large/image/154/1544006/24080606-.jpg

Lots of details regarding dresses and jewellery and when and where they were worn is pouring in on both BT and BB, but I'll leave that to the resident experts.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...tian-farmor-dronning-margrethe-under#143246-1
Christian helped farmor Margrethe both down and up the stairs.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Every one looks nice, although I am a bit surprised that Isabella is wearing a pants suit.

White pants suits are apparently the going trend in young Princess couture :)

I am really disapointed that she used a pantsuit! Everyone else I love the clothing

DRF Instagram has posted official photos that were taken of CP family prior to the confirmation.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc-yJD7DbVt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

White pants suits are apparently the going trend in young Princess couture :)

I love that she wore a pantsuit. She looks great in them plus you can tell that she feels comfortable, confident and herself in pantsuits. She still looks absolutely appropriate for the event as well. And like you said, it seems to be the growing trend...look at Princess Amalia and Princess Ingrid Alexandra. Even little Princess Estelle I believe wore a pant suit in her recent official photos. Thank goodness these young royals are dragging the royal style further into the 21st century.

Anyway....back to the confirmation. Could Mary and Frederik look any more proud of Isabella. I dare say I could sense pride from Christian for his sister as well.

BB is still standing vigil at Fredensborg and a short while ago, Isabella with some friends was observed having changed to a green dress:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...esse-isabella-og-veninderne-smuttede-hjem-til

Presumably to be ready for a party for the young tonight.

A Danish band has been hired to play.

In this delightful video, Christian is seen tickling his kid-brother:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...nfirmationen-prins-christian-kilder-lillebror

Some info on our Marie's outfit:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...sesse-marie-i-laksefarvet-figursyet-jakkesaet

https://underholdning.tv2.dk/video/RGRlbnJuZzlrQ01QTVpXNHJIVWpIR19XS0c4TVlMM3Q

Before translating what is said in this video, are you able to watch it outside DK?

Good. ?

Here we go: https://underholdning.tv2.dk/video/RGRlbnJuZzlrQ01QTVpXNHJIVWpIR19XS0c4TVlMM3Q

We'll go straight to Isabella at 0:31, presumably being asked how it is to be confirmed.
"It's a really nice feeling. it's... It's really something I've been looking forward to for a long time. So it's been, eh, it's been a fantastic service."

0:39. Presumably being asked how she's going to celebrate.
"It's going to be with our very best friends and family and a good lunch. It'll be really nice."

0:46. Asked about the missing morfar John.
"We of course miss our Australian family a lot. I'd wish they could be here, but times (things) down there are not the same as here. So it's... We sure think about them a lot."

1:09: "Princess Isabella, a last glance."

Isabella is such a joy! She looks lovely in her white pant suit, and I adore her choice of jewelry. The whole family looks great.

Such a happy day!! Its really a joy to see the family on this special occasion. You can feel the warmth. Such a confident young lady.
Frederik and Mary are filled with pride and happiness for their daughter, and I say big brother Christian too.
The little taps they give Isabella before leaving her to face the press by herself, so cute, then going hand in hand inside, I'm sure Frederik and Mary had a tear or two.
The Queen looked so happy as well.

She looks so pretty and confident. A poignant moment when she turned to watch her parents go up the stairs and she was left alone. Marie is wearing a pantsuit too.

Good. ?

Here we go: https://underholdning.tv2.dk/video/RGRlbnJuZzlrQ01QTVpXNHJIVWpIR19XS0c4TVlMM3Q

We'll go straight to Isabella at 0:31, presumably being asked how it is to be confirmed.
"It's a really nice feeling. it's... It's really something I've been looking forward to for a long time. So it's been, eh, it's been a fantastic service."

0:39. Presumably being asked how she's going to celebrate.
"It's going to be with our very best friends and family and a good lunch. It'll be really nice."

0:46. Asked about the missing morfar John.
"We of course miss our Australian family a lot. I'd wish they could be here, but times (things) down there are not the same as here. So it's... We sure think about them a lot."

1:09: "Princess Isabella, a last glance."

Thank you!! Mary and Frederik have prepared Isabella and the rest of their kids very well media training wise. Isabella sounds very confident and articulate in her responses to the press. Very good job!

The photos and videos have been wonderful! Everyone looks fantatsic and you could tell QMII was very happy to have her whole family there.

The Danish text says that CP Frederik was confirmed in 1981. Does that mean he was only 13 when he was confirmed?

Yes, he was confirmed on May 28, 1981, two days after his 13th birthday.

A photo including Princess Isabella‘s godparents has been released by now:

** Pic ** kongehuset: Officielle billeder fra H.K.H. Prinsesse Isabellas konfirmation taget i Havesalen på Fredensborg Slot **

** dm article: Crown Princess Mary of Denmark and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark are proud parents as they attend..**

Last edited:
Another video from DR1 https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/seneste/s...-taler-foran-pressen-efter-sin-konfirmationen

And this one you should be able to watch outside DK.

0:17 Congratulations, Princess Isabella. What does it mean to You to be confirmed?

0:29 I understand there a little more guests at Your confirmation, than at that of Your older brother. How is that?
"That... (I think Christian mutters "That's cheating") It's a pity. It was a different time, for sure. But it's nice to have your good friends and family taking part in celebrating it."

0:45: How is it to enter the ranks of the adults for real?
"Well, it hasn't really dawned on me yet, for real. I don't really know yet. But now we'll see."

0:56 Princess Isabella, do you (informal so this is a BT reporter) already now know what you want to be when you do become an adult?
"Well... I really haven't thought about something. I... There is a long time for that to happen. (*) I have lots of time to think."

1:09 Princess Isabella, how is the party to be held?

1:20 Princess Isabella, how do You feel about You unfortunately having to do without Your morfar, John Donaldson?

Crown Prince Frederik, how does it feel to see Your daughter being confirmed today?
"Well... It's number two out of four, who is being send well on her way and who so far has had a really good day and who can take delight in, in a different way to have entered the ranks of the adults in the eyes of tradition and the church."

And how about You, Crown Princess Mary?
"It's a moving day. As Isabella has said, she has been looking very much forward to it... And we have been looking very much forward to gather around her on this important day."

Crown Princess Mary and Crown Princess Frederik, are there any special surprises in store for Princess Isabella later today?
Isabella: (Something about not saying.)
Mary: "We think so."
Frederik: "If it's a surprise, then it would be a pity if she was told now. - But of course, it's always fun to see what we can conjure up..."
Isabella: "Out of the sleeve."
Frederik: Out of the sleeve."

2:35 Princess Isabella, how do you feel about all the media attention there was about what you said last year at Prince Christian's confirmation? (The "are you totally blank, mom" remark.)
"I actually haven't noticed it that much. I haven't given it much thought. Yeah/well, it's a year ago, now..."

2:53 Princess Isabella, how is it to stand out here on your own, so to speak?
"Well, it is a bit... It isn't something I've kinda done before... Well, I don't think I've ever done it before, sort of being all alone, but it sure is something new and exciting."

Being called in from the door.

"Thank you."

(*) Typical for teens. Three years is a lifetime! To me three years is "next month"!

Yes, he was confirmed on May 28, 1981, two days after his 13th birthday.

A photo including Princess Isabella‘s godparents has been released by now:

** Pic ** kongehuset: Officielle billeder fra H.K.H. Prinsesse Isabellas konfirmation taget i Havesalen på Fredensborg Slot **

Thanks, Iceflower.

And for those who want the big resolution, you can download them here: https://www.kongehuset.dk/kongehuse...ation&Id=913bdec8-66c7-40d1-8d9b-ba67df6c0e39

In a sense, yes.

Because we only had one public service channel back then. So the coverage would have been limited and aired in a segment on the evening news.
Otherwise it would have been photos in magazines and newspapers.

Thanks. Do you know whether any segment of the confirmation services was televised for Frederik and Joachim or if the press was limited to the arrivals and departures as they are now?

Would an ordinary Danish confirmand also be confirmed alone, or would confirmation be held in groups as it is in Norway?

Thanks. Do you know whether any segment of the confirmation services was televised for Frederik and Joachim or if the press was limited to the arrivals and departures as they are now?

Would an ordinary Danish confirmand also be confirmed alone, or would confirmation be held in groups as it is in Norway?

I think they covered it with one camera, when the DRF left the church. And that's what ended up in the news. I can't recall anything more.

Normally you are confirmed with your classmates. But as so many opt not to be confirmed, I guess in many places they confirm an entire year, that is several classes. That's what they did with my children.
I don't think anyone outside the DRF are confirmed alone.

I am really disapointed that she used a pantsuit! Everyone else I love the clothing
Me too. But I think it shows she obviously has her very own mind as this didn´t seemed to be a very "pantsuit-loving" family in the past....!

Me too. But I think it shows she obviously has her very own mind as this didn´t seemed to be a very "pantsuit-loving" family in the past....!

It has been noted that Princess Marie also wore pantsuits to the confirmation service, albeit not qute as baggy as Isabella's, Amalia's, or Meghan's (the latter two in other recent events).

What a joyous warm family occasion. Everyone looked beautiful. Such a pity that John Donaldson couldn’t be present as he was particularly close to Christian and Isabella. Thank you for all the posts and photographs..

Back
Top Bottom