Prince Christian's confirmation: May 15, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Mary's look! The head band it is beautiful and the dress too, Is it new? I am not fan of the girls looks!
I was wondering if he had a party after? I am sure he had some kind of celebration! Wish I would see the table looks!

Last edited:
Here is a video of an episode on the stairs of Fredensborg, showing that Isabella has become a teen. That has caused some amusement on the social media, where most find it refreshing and even endearing. A little royal teenage-rebellion.
- I think all of us who are parents have tried something similar. And as long as it is within reason, especially for royals, it's no big deal. Buuut, I think Isabella has had a little chat with her mother today.

Here we go:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/klip-med-prinsesse-isabella-hitter-giver-mary-svar-paa-tiltale
Mary adressing Frederik, Christian and QMII: "We'll stay."
Mary: "You go along." - And Isabella follow QMII up the stairs.
Then. Mary: "Hey, Isabella."
Isabella: "I was to go with farmor (paternal grandmother). Really, are you completely blank/zoned?"
- There was a brief moment when mother Mary looked a bit stern, before smiling.

- :lol: It isn't always easy to have parents. They really shouldn't be allowed out without a guide-dog. But they grow on you - eventually.

:previous:
Royal or not, one become a teenager :D
My oldest daughter is the same age as Isabella and the phrase "Seriously mom, are you completely off?!" is standard home at us.
As late as this morning I complimented how she had styled her hair. Her response? She rolled her eyes and exclaimed: "Omg mom, you are just too much". Okay then!

This is indeed something the Danes love to see, and especially in their CP family. Despite their royal titles they are a hands on family just like everybody else behind the scenes. It’s liberating to see that even royal parents to teenagers are just totally off like the rest off us :lol:

Have you noticed this cute little clip of Vincent with mom? See how Vincent at the end of the clip runs to his mother and puts his little arm around her - and walks with her like a real little gentleman :wub:

https://www.billedbladet.dk/video/7HIWI8Mj/i4gO3Hyo

Last edited:
Do you think Mary’s navy blue headband will make an appearance at theother childrens confirmations? Just like she wore the same white one for all childrens christenings...?

That's be very neat. Especially since she didn't wear the Connaught Sapphire Brooch for Isabella's christening so that can't serve as a continued repeat for their confirmations. I suppose the blue headband is a bit more difficult to colour coordinate with her outfits than the white one was though.

This is indeed something the Danes love to see, and especially in their CP family. Despite their royal titles they shows they are a hands on family just like everybody else. It’s liberating to see that even royal parents to teenagers are just totally off like the rest off us :lol:

And that's what always been so lovely with them.

I think it was after their visit to Greenland in 2014 when M&F talked about how happy they were that the children were comfortable enough to be just that – children – in front of all the cameras. Yes, there was the occasional yawning and impatience :D but they were comfortable to be natural, to be themselves, even though they had numerous cameras stuck in their faces. And they've continued to be – as evident by Isabella's little teenage outburst (which is desperately relatable to me, I could vividly see myself saying exactly that to my mum at Bella's age ?).

Have you noticed this cute little clip of Vincent with mom? See how Vincent at the end of the clip runs to his mother and puts his little arm around her - and walks with her like a real little gentleman :wub:

https://www.billedbladet.dk/video/7HIWI8Mj/i4gO3Hyo

Just too cute. Reminds me of a summer shoot a few years ago, Christian at a similar age goes to walk arm and arm with Mary, Frederik also had his arm around Mary. Mama is well loved.

And thanks for the translation on Isabella's exchange Muhler. Typical teenager is universal lol. And I agree the kids are kids. Not robots but know how to behave but still are comfortable to be themselves.

Article on Isabella borrowing some of Mary's accessories
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...isabellas-flotte-look-laante-fra-mor#134486-1

This picture, his little girl is growing up
https://billedbladet-prod.imgix.net...op=focalpoint&auto=format&ixlib=imgixjs-3.4.0

Does Prince Christian have to select a Confirmation name like a person does before being confirmed in the Catholic faith? Or is this not a requirement in the Danish Church?
I was confirmed in the ''old'' American Lutheran Church. We did not have to select a name but we were required to choose a Bible passage that we would use all of our lives and announce it to the congregation. Mine was Psalm 121, vs. 1 and 2. Confirmation took place on Palm Sunday, and we received our first Communion on Easter.

It really is too bad that travel restrictions prevented a larger attendance. Perhaps the service was 'live-streamed' for those who couldn't attend.

Since there haven't been too many events during the pandemic, it's surprising to see how much the children have changed. They all looked relaxed in front of the cameras.

Congratulations to Prince Christian.

The Lutheren Church does not practice it in general, as Protestants do not ask Catholic canonized Saints for intercession.

Biri, Thank you for the information. I did not know if a Danish Lutheran gentleman had to choose the name of a saint in the Danish Lutheran Church for his Confirmation.

One thing that caught my eye was the extra-slim European cut of Christian's suit. (I think Frederick wears them this way, too.) No criticism intended, but being accustomed to seeing looser-cut American men's suits, I kept thinking, "That boy has already outgrown his suit!"

(I know it was tailored that way, and again no criticism from me!)

Will his sister Isabelle have her confirmation next year?

No idea. For the same money she will wear an champagne-rose headband to match with her dress and accessoires of that day.

Thinking now I wish she had worn the rose headband to the confirmation instead of this blue one - it would have been a nice connection to christening and confirmation

Congratulations Prince Christian. Wonderful photographs. Beautiful family. The Crown Princely Couple have so far done a great job in making sure the children have a happy family life. John Donaldson will be particularly disappointed at missing the Confirmation. He is particularly close to Christian.

Did Isabella really ask her mother if she was crazy? Ops. If she had been in other royal families it would be a real scandal:ohmy::whistling:

Did Isabella really ask her mother if she was crazy? Ops. If she had been in other royal families it would be a real scandal:ohmy::whistling:

That's the nice thing about our royals, we know they are humans:D
and Isabella is a teenager let alone Mary goes through puberty:lol:
though I do not know which other royal families your post refers to.

No, I'm not familiar with the expression, but I think it's common for teens at present. It's not nearly as bad as it may sound.
I'm not even sure Isabella was really irritated at her mother, just cheeky - as teens sometimes are. - And sometimes at the wrong moments.

As long as it doesn't become a habit and Isabella starts to act out in public, it's no problem.
And Isabella usually behaves very well when the show is on.

No big deal.

There has been some talk. But not nearly to the same extent as in Sweden and Norway. In Norway the monarch is no longer also head of the State Church. Not sure off hand how it is in Sweden.

I think one of the reasons is that in comparison to Norway, much fewer Danes identify themselves as Christians and let alone feel they have a particular affiliation with the State Church. I think it is much more common in DK to have personal interpretation of Christianity, where the State Church is not that necessary and as such who leads it, is really not that important either.
Those who don't care or are atheists have simply signed out of the State Church.

Another reason is that the current system works fine, so why fix what ain't broken?

A third reason is probably comparable to why the Danish monarchs still have a very specific Constitutional role, (Laws must be signed in order to be valid. All power comes from the Majesty and so on.) is that most people actually like the idea of the politicians having to be accountable to someone, that there is someone above them, even if it's mostly in theory.
Instead of QMII we would have the Minister of Church as head of the State Church. I can't even remember the name or the face, or gender of that minister!

A fourth reason is that there is little political will to change the system. And even less public will. Not to mention that it will a huge trouble! Because it will require a change of the Constitution.

While an overhaul of the Constitution might be needed, it really doesn't matter that much. Because in most cases the Constitution de facto says that X, Y, Z is definite - unless another law says something else...
The Constitution is for most practical purposes not particular rigid.

So Frederik will in all likelihood become head of the State Church. Whether things will change before Christian sits on the throne is an open question, but it's far from certain, and not something that the DRF can plan for by not having Christian confirmed.
And a fifth (sixth) reason: It is too expensy for the Danish State to take back the registration of the people. The Danish State Church registers all births, confirmations, weddings, deaths and name changes. It has been examined whether the state could take it back, but it is cheaper to let the church do it.

And ... way back in 1500-1600ish the State took the church ground into the State and promised to pay the church. So if the state were to separate from the church, it would be even more expensier (<- can't remember if it is spelled correct).

No, I remember from my preparations before confirmation that we took Communion.
I guess you can start as soon as you understand what is going on.
That's another question for our theologian, Benedikte. ?
In Denmark you are allowed to take communion when you are christened. Not that anyone checks whether or not you are, but in principle you have to be christened :)

Well, I wanted to write a summary about Christian's confirmation, based on the articles in Billed Bladet #20, but it's been long hours at work lately, so I haven't gotten around to do anything.
So at least here are the scans: https://app.box.com/s/w1w8egcei2n9fmhd81lqpn1ixqpqxp1w

Let me know if there are something specific you'd like to know. ?

One thing that caught my eye was the extra-slim European cut of Christian's suit. (I think Frederick wears them this way, too.) No criticism intended, but being accustomed to seeing looser-cut American men's suits, I kept thinking, "That boy has already outgrown his suit!"

(I know it was tailored that way, and again no criticism from me!)

Congrats to Christian on his confirmation. I thought he looked great. He's a real combination of his parents with Frederik's eyes and Mary's smile. As for the cut of his suit, my American sons, both in their twenties, wear that slim cut suit. Its very trendy these days with the hipster generation.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom