Crown Princess Mary's 50th birthday: February 5, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a video of the kids!

Video also posted by DRF Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZphO7TgQ5m/?utm_medium=copy_link

It is good to see that Vincent has still not acquired a filter....lol.

C: "My mother is very much into her work. I can sense she's really enthusiastic."
J: (Her work) "Means a lot to her. I think she... yes."
I: "Then she goes into her room and sit there with her computer. Or go into the living room, with the TV running and just beaver away."
V: "I've sometimes gone into her office and then she's been sitting there... totally concentrated."
C: "After we have been eating, she has sat down at the coffee table and pulled out the computer to have a look. And go through it again."
I: "It has to be done thoroughly. It has to be totally perfect."

C: "If she's been on a trip, she comes home and talk about what she has seen, what she has been doing and where she's been."
V: "Sometimes, if she goes to sorta Africa, she tells a little about the schools, how it is, how the children are doing."
C: "And that gives the four of us a look into, how well off we for example are here in Denmark."

I: "She has an Australian accent, so there are some words she says a bit funny."
J: "No, it's Å. Then it's aw, aw."
V: "She says lille (little) like lilla, in a way. She can't say like æble (apple) either."
C: Sometimes she want's to say: Is the dog lying in it's basket? Then it always becomes: Is the dog lying in it's bwasket?"
V: "And then she tries to pronounce it again, but it isn't right even though we tell her how to pronounce it."
I: "And then the whole family tease her, that she can't say it right. Where she says herself, no, no, no, I'm saying it right."

Two more videos to go.

C: "I admire mother the most for, for what's she is doing and for what she is doing for others. And for us.
J: "She gives us a lot of love."
I: "She's good at talking about things.
J: "Sometimes if we are a little mad at each other, she can help us."
V: "You can tell her about secrets you have."
I: "If you have problems with something. If it's been a hard day at school. Then she's always good at talking it through."
C: "You should never ever give up. You always have to keep on and keep on and keep on, at some point, you'll get through."
V: "If you say something about yourself, she says: It doesn't matter. Don't think about it. It's so lovely as you are." (You are lovely as you are).

I: The best thing about mother, I have to say, is the (good) company you have when we are together. She always has something to talk about.
J: "Mother is good at singing, I think. She is good at singing something from... a little old-fashioned. If you can say so."
V: "I think she's very good at dancing, when there is a party."
J: "At parties she's very... kinda... dance-like with the young."
C: "She's especially fond of the air-guitar if rock-music is played."
I: "She's good at playing the drums. If there is a drum lying around somewhere, she had to beat it. Going at it."
V: She says she's old. She isn't."

- There is a general consensus among the comments I have seen today that Vincent's last remark was a winner!

I hope it makes sense, because I tried to translate as close to how the children spoke.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary has released a thank-you-message today:

Becoming 50 years old is something very special. But that I received so many warm greetings from all over Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Greenland…. and Australia - I was deeply moved. It's not so crazy to be 50 ?

Thank you very much for that - I was very pleased.

** instagram post **

Maybe but the same is in my opinion the case for Queen Mathilde, Queen Letizia, Queen Máxima etc.

I think Mary deserved every bit of it. She has been an exemplar Crown Princess for 18 years as a representative for and of Denmark, at home and abroad in all aspects. Her accomplishments in that respect are a mile long and IIRC she has never been publicly acknowledged for all her efforts. So, on the occasion of her 50th Birthday, and 20th year of being in Denmark, she was celebrated during her birthday week. It was actually a nice change given, IMO, she has been a bit in the background for quite a bit recently. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks you all for the updates , links, translations, etc. I was special and we’ll deserve celebration! Now I’m looking forward for prince Christian 18 birthday :) let’s hope there will be no COVID restrictions and we can enjoy the celebration at full!

Thank you Muhler! You made my day! :D

Can you translate this one too?

Sure, stand by. I'll do it in a couple of hours. ?

Yes, Mary was celebrated big time and in a way that rivaled both Frederik and even QMII.
I don't think there is a concept of who gets more celebrated in DK.
That is, no rule that the Monarch has to be celebrated with ten events.
The Crown Prince with nine events.
And the Crown Princess with eight events.

It's more a question of all of them being celebrated over a number of days, about a week or so, with the number and length of events that the person in question can manage and with whatever requests for celebrating that can be fit into a reasonable schedule.
It's more a question of: It's QMII's jubilee, let's party!
It's Frederik's 50th B-day, let's party!
It's Mary's 50th birthday, let's party!
And when Christian turns eighteen, it will be: Let's party!

I think it would be seen as odd if Mary could not be celebrated more or in the same way as Frederik or QMII. People want to celebrate her, big time.
Because she is doing a good job, she's a part of the tribe and we want to show our appreciation - and simply have an opportunity to celebrate something.
As I've said before, we are the fiery southerners of Scandinavia.

I: "Nature and of course also animals, means a lot to her. She talks a lot about the climate, for example in Australia when there was a fire, with all the koalas and kangaroos. She was very, like, worried about that."
C: "It has made us realize that it's something, everybody can help with."
J: "We don't have plastic (water) bottles or lunch boxes but bottles that are made from metal."

C: "My mother is very attentive to everybody around her. She's makes sure everybody are fine. Among others the four-legged."
V: "She really likes horses and she want's more horses."
J: "Yeah, she loves her horses. A lot! And you just know that. - Yes."
I: "She's up visiting them every day. If she isn't going riding , she's like: Oh, I'll just go up and pet them a little."
V: "Brush them down. Stable them." (Clean, feed and harness the horses.)
I: "And Grace, that's really! And the puppies of course."
J: (The dogs)" Also means a lot to her, just as the horses."
I: "She (Grace and the puppies) are her number two gold nuggets."
J: "It's not so often we walk (the dogs) entirely (as we ought to.)"
V: "With the puppies, she says: It's only me who takes care of them or such. And only me who walks Grace. But she isn't. I help too, I also do it, sometimes."

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually i like it that she was celebrated but i find it a bit much given that she is still the Crown Princess and not yet the Queen. This is the same amount we usually had for Queen Margrethe's round birthdays and she is the reigning Queen.
Margrethe's birthday is celebrated big every five years plus the throne jubilee celebrations (25,40,50) in between.
Mary's birthday was celebrated big for the first time. And the celebration was mostly driven by the media and Mary's patronages and the people.
The "official" Denmark planned an exhibition and a new portrait in the Museum of National History and a gala dinner which was cancelled - not postponed - very quickly. (There is another exhibition but that one is about all crown princesses of the last 150 years). No carriage ride, no balcony appearance was planned. So there was definitly made a distinction between Mary's birthday and Frederik's/Margrethe's. And I don't believe it was just because of COVID.
But the people came together on Amalienborg Square nevertheless - which was like saying: We decide who we celebrate. It was the part which impressed me most.

Originally Posted by Stefan
Maybe but the same is in my opinion the case for Queen Mathilde, Queen Letizia, Queen Máxima etc.
Yes, but Spain and Belgium don't celebrate big time. Felipe's 50th birthday celebration was nothing compared with Frederik's. And he was already King, Frederik only Crown Prince. The enthronement celebration in Belgium was small compared to the Netherlands.
Maxima was celebrated big for her 40th birthday (unlike Mary), her 50th was cancelled due to COVID.
It seems to me it's mostly the Scandinavian and Dutch monarchies who celebrate big time.

Last edited:
Sure, stand by. I'll do it in a couple of hours. ?

Yes, Mary was celebrated big time and in a way that rivaled both Frederik and even QMII.
I don't think there is a concept of who gets more celebrated in DK.
That is, no rule that the Monarch has to be celebrated with ten events.
The Crown Prince with nine events.
And the Crown Princess with eight events.

It's more a question of all of them being celebrated over a number of days, about a week or so, with the number and length of events that the person in question can manage and with whatever requests for celebrating that can be fit into a reasonable schedule.
It's more a question of: It's QMII's jubilee, let's party!
It's Frederik's 50th B-day, let's party!
It's Mary's 50th birthday, let's party!
And when Christian turns eighteen, it will be: Let's party!

I think it would be seen as odd if Mary could not be celebrated more or in the same way as Frederik or QMII. People want to celebrate her, big time.
Because she is doing a good job, she's a part of the tribe and we want to show our appreciation - and simply have an opportunity to celebrate something.
As I've said before, we are the fiery southerners of Scandinavia.

I agree Muhler. People seemed eager to celebrate Mary and so they did. The naming of the Research Center was through the University. The Mary's Australian Garden, via the Copenhagen Zoo of which she is Patron IIRC. The naming of the hospital center happened now, but that project will not come to fruition for a couple of years and it is a tribute to her for all her advocacy and work for women's/girl's rights, etc. One exhibition is of all the Crown Princesses, so it is not exclusively about her, but about her predecessors also. She opened the exhibition as the current Crown Princess. The other exhibition IS about her which includes the unveiling of a portrait. There were official photographs, which is to be expected. And of course the media wanted to mark the occasion. The interviews were good IMO and gave insight into her thoughts of her time as Crown Princess, how she has adapted the role and what she hopes for the future. The gala that had been planned did not include foreign royals and was apparently on a smaller scale that Frederik's gala. There was no carriage ride planned or balcony appearance. The fact that on the day of her birthday the public gathered in the square anyway to sing to her and acknowledge her day is a testament to what she means to the people. It was spontaneous and organic. At least that is what it felt like watching the video. From every angle I can see all the way from the USA, Mary is admired, respected and adored.

And not only did Mary look very humbled and touched by it all...Frederik looked like he might burst from pride and happiness at any given moment. He just looked so happy for her. The kids as well looked happy to see their mom celebrated like she was.

And like Frederik's celebrations cemented his popularity, so did Mary's celebrations. It is evident that the public adore both of them together and individually and will readily accept them as their Regent Couple.

I: "Nature and of course also animals, means a lot to her. She talks a lot about the climate, for example in Australia when there was a fire, with all the koalas and kangaroos. She was very, like, worried about that."
C: "It has made us realize that it's something, everybody can help with."
J: "We don't have plastic (water) bottles or lunch boxes but bottles that are made from metal."

C: "My mother is very attentive to everybody around her. She's makes sure everybody are fine. Among others the four-legged."
V: "She really likes horses and she want's more horses."
J: "Yeah, she loves her horses. A lot! And you just know that. - Yes."
I: "She's up visiting them every day. If she isn't going riding , she's like: Oh, I'll just go up and pet them a little."
V: "Brush them down. Stable them." (Clean, feed and harness the horses.)
I: "And Grace, that's really! And the puppies of course."
J: (The dogs)" Also means a lot to her, just as the horses."
I: "She (Grace and the puppies) are her number two gold nuggets."
J: "It's not so often we walk (the dogs) entirely (as we ought to.)"
V: "With the puppies, she says: It's only me who takes care of them or such. And only me who walks Grace. But she isn't. I help too, I also do it, sometimes."
Thank you:flowers: They always end those videos with Vincent, he is really one of a kind:D

Such a lot of Pictures of herself and not even a picture of her Birthdaycake ?

Actually i like it that she was celebrated but i find it a bit much given that she is still the Crown Princess and not yet the Queen. This is the same amount we usually had for Queen Margrethe's round birthdays and she is the reigning Queen.

The Danish RF PR people would have gauged the public's perception of CP Mary. It is clear she is much much loved, admired and revered in Denmark. So the celebration matched that. Before QMII, the last CP-by-marriage was Queen Ingrid, who was CP almost 3 generations ago.

CP Mary has owned and modernised the Crown Princess role for this generation. Like Queen Ingrid before her, Mary set a benchmark, and showed being a CP is not just about pumping out heirs, but making a difference to the Danish people. This was a celebration of her 50th, but also a celebration of a woman who fell in love with a Danish Prince, moved across the world, adopted a new country and their culture and has given her best to serve those people, as well as the international community. She deserves all the accolades and celebrations IMHO.

Apologies if this has been posted already

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has donated $50,000 to an Australian charity fighting childhood bullying as a special 'thank you' as part of her milestone birthday celebrations.

Mary celebrated her 50th birthday on February 5 with a week of festivities taking place across her adopted homeland.

The Danish royal made sure to include Australia in a number of the events, capping off her birthday week with a donation to a charity she has long supported

Crown Princess Mary donates $50,000 to Australian charity as a birthday 'thank you'

The Danes are known for knowing how to celebrate. All of this was practically expected. Furthermore the Crown Princess is deserving of every honor she received.

The twins saying that if they are mad
she can help them and sweet Vincent saying that you can tell her secrets shows what a good mother she is.

A couple of posts that were no longer discussing Crown Princess Marry‘s birthday but family resemblances instead have been moved to the following extra thread: ** Family Resemblances **.

I saw that. It's wonderful!! She donated to The Alannah & Madeline Foundation. That foundation's Better Buddies anti-bullying program was the blueprint for the Free From Bullying Program by The Mary Foundation.

Is anyone getting or have gotten the BB magazine with Mary and Frederik on the cover? There is coverage of the birthday celebrations apparently with additional photos and comments! Could anyone share the contents if they did get the magazine?! Thanks!!

The DR documentary for CP Mary is on YouTube and someone has kindly put English subtitles. Definitely worth a look. They have also done the My Way documentary for CP Frederik in English subtitles. I have absolutely no idea how to post a link, sorry! They are both easy to find though.

Eml

Frederik has look so proud he could burst. At times, even a bit emotional. This has been a week where Mary has been completely in the spotlight and has received well-deserved and well- earned acknowledgement and appreciation for all she's done and accomplished as Crown Princess. It has been wonderful to see.

Oh wow...at the end of the DR1 program Mary is surprised with a beautiful song by the Danish Girl Choir. Mary is move to tears. Here is the link to the video

Is there chance that we can get an English translation of the beautiful song? Was it composed especially for the occasion? The interviewer is musical I wonder if he had anything to do with it.

It is possible to have a translation, but translating lyrics is, I fear, at the very limit of my translating skills.
My own abilities in poetry are limited and too much of the subtleties are lost when merely translating, You have to rewrite the poems as well, so to speak.

So I suggest you simply enjoy the song, knowing that it's about comparing someone to a rose.
Sometimes not understanding the text has it's distinct charm. ?

The Greenland magazine Arnanut brings today an interview with Her Royal Highness Crown Princess. In the interview, the Crown Princess talks, among other things, about her first meeting with Greenland, about the family's close relationship with the country and about being a voice for those who have difficulties in society - also in Greenland ����
The interview will be released in addition to the Crown Princess's 50th birthday. On this occasion, the Greenland tele- and postal company, Tusass, published the 5th. February a new stamp of His Royal Highness wearing the traditional, Greenland national costume.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=519667719531110&set=a.402971521200731

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMwrOOJXwAcSFqx?format=png&name=900x900

Greenland has very severe social issues. Mainly alcoholism with the resulting social deroute, neglect and abuse, including a very substantial number of sexual abuse, of children.

It has been and is so bad that the Danish Parliament has openly talked about taking over and bypassing the Greenlandic Parliament and government.
As a result the Greenlandic Parliament has begun to do something about it, but the social issues in Greenland are still very serious.

It is however not something you win a popularity contest in pointing out to the Greenlanders.

To compound the problem, I understand that ethnic Greenlanders have a genetically considerably lower tolerance to alcohol than ethnic Europeans.

As a result there are quite a few crisis centers in Greenland, where the backpacks issued by the Mary Foundation are distributed.

Last edited:
Greenland has very severe social issues. Mainly alcoholism with the resulting social deroute, neglect and abuse, including a very substantial number of sexual abuse, of children.

It has been and is so bad that the Danish Parliament has openly talked about taking over and bypassing the Greenlandic Parliament and government.
As a result the Greenlandic Parliament has begun to do something about it, but the social issues in Greenland are still very serious.

It is however not something you win a popularity contest in pointing out to the Greenlanders.

To compound the problem, I understand that ethnic Greenlanders have a genetically considerably lower tolerance to alcohol than ethnic Europeans.

As a result there are quite a few crisis centers in Greenland, where the backpacks issued by the Mary Foundation are distributed.

This problem is also shared among Canadian Indigenous people across the country, but certainly in the North where resources are often few and far between. Indeed, many settlements do not permit alcohol sales with a view to combatting the problem you point out. It is an issue that requires much attention and concentrated effort; thanks to Crown Princess Mary for taking it on. Our new Governor General, Mary Simon, is Inuit and it is hoped that she will also help bring about change.

Visitiing the exhibition on Mary at Frederiksborg in a few weeks - looking forward to seeing her wedding dress and the other dresses on display. I am really pleased that in Denmark they choose to celebrate their royals with exhibitions and celebrations for big birthdays

And looking forward to reading you review here. ?

No pressure, just a little nudge or fifty... ;)

She looks fantastic. What great work by the foundation.

Back
Top Bottom