Crown Princely Couple's Working Visit to New York and Boston: October 20-25, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pictures Sasco, and welcome to the forums :flowers:. Now I'm really looking forward to Saturday (and I'm hoping I'll get a glimpse and a few snaps).

Frelinghighness and Daria, hope you have fun on your "royal sightseeing" on Saturday ;)
Given the location, Daria, I find it highly unlikely you wouldn't get a glimpse of Mary so good luck! One word of advice from seeing Mary and Frederik previously in New York: they walk really fast so prepare for burst pictures on your camera! :flowers:

An excited Billed-Bladet caption:

"Crown Princess Mary took New York by storm" :)

** BB: Kronprinsesse Mary tog New York med storm ** translation **

** bt.dk: Frederik og Mary til Ground Zero-kongetræf **

Thanks iceflower for the articles!

I'm a bit confused by the second article where it makes note of the Scandinavian couples paying tribute to 2605 victims. That number is incorrect since 2606 people died just in New York and then the further 371 who died in Washington and Pennsylvania would also be commemorated I imagine. Weird... :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit confused by the second article where it makes note of the Scandinavian couples paying tribute to 2605 victims. That number is incorrect since 2606 people died just in New York and then the further 371 who died in Washington and Pennsylvania would also be commemorated I imagine. Weird... :ermm:
The first one could be a typo :flowers:

The people who died in Washington and Pennsylvania are sadly often being forgotten in Denmark :sad:

Why Princess Madeleine didn't show up at the Sacandinavian house? Has she is living now in New York, maybe the costs of the trip will get low if some resources like this were used...insted of Queen Sylvia and King Gustav, maybe they could be represented by her daugther...

Or perhaps Madeleine was asked and had prior engagements, or couldn't be bothered. It's nice to see the Scandinavian royals together.

Princess Madeleine will be attending the gala event with all the royals at the Hilton.

OMG! Crown prince Frederik and crown princess Mary of Denmark are in the northeast of the united states. Mary attended an even in new York while Frederik came here,to Cambridge to speak at harvard university but also in Boston . Damn I missed him I didn't know he has even here;)

That doesn't look like the dress Mary wore last night, different pattern, the belt is different and there's a runched look on the shoulder.

Mary was on the TV2 news at 19.00, where she explained about the school in Harlem, she visited.

Sometimes, when she is stressed, nervous or whatever, she has a very distinct accent and you may have to concentrate on what she is saying.
This time, her Danish was really great! Repeat, really great.
Apart from a few innocent grammatical mistakes (equivalent to the difference between a and an) it was flawless, pronounication was really good. Even her accent was less distinct than usual.
Keep in mind that she had just spoken English and that she was explaining something to the reporter/viewers.

I hope someone will dig up that clip.
Mary had a really good language-day. :notworthy:

Last edited:
Frelinghighness and Daria, hope you have fun on your "royal sightseeing" on Saturday ;)
Given the location, Daria, I find it highly unlikely you wouldn't get a glimpse of Mary so good luck! One word of advice from seeing Mary and Frederik previously in New York: they walk really fast so prepare for burst pictures on your camera! :flowers:

Thanks iceflower for the articles!

Thank you for the advice :flowers:. I'll be sure to get fresh batteries into my camera and be ready to go click-happy :D.

Mary was on the TV2 news at 19.00, where she explained about the school in Harlem, she visited.

Sometimes, when she is stressed, nervous or whatever, she has a very distinct accent and you may have to concentrate on what she is saying.
Apart from a few innocent grammatical mistakes (equivalent to the difference between a and an) it was flawless, pronounication was really good. Even her accent was less distinct as usual.
Keep in mind that she had just spoken English and that she was explaining something to the reporter/viewers.

Muhler, again I completely agree with you :flowers: CPss Mary spoke a really great danish. It must be hard to shift between her mothertongue (english) and danish and she does it with minor minor flaws - I´m impressed :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Apart from a few innocent grammatical mistakes (equivalent to the difference between a and an) it was flawless, pronounication was really good. Even her accent was less distinct as usual.

Here is the video :flowers:
Kronprinsesse imponeret over skole - TV 2 Nyhederne

Thats great she visited public school in a Harlem, thats a good issue to pay attention to.

Apart from a few innocent grammatical mistakes (equivalent to the difference between a and an) it was flawless, pronounication was really good. Even her accent was less distinct than usual.

My theory about that is she spoke good Danish because she wasn't in Denmark...maybe she feels intimidated or inferior (in her language skills) in Denmark being surrounded by native speakers...and in a foreign English speaking environment/country she feels more confident and more 'Danish' because those listening to her speak are probably not silently judging and critiquing her competency in the language, so therefore she feels more at ease...If that makes sense?

I'm afraid my NYC plans have fallen through and Daria will have to hold the fort and eat Danish food in Union Square for both of us:bang:

:previous: Oh well that is a shame indeed. Just hope Daria can get a nice closeup of Mary wearing a jewel. That would be great, but unless one has a long lens I guess not so likely. I bet you feel disappointed but cheer up I am sure there will be another time for you both to connect.

Thanks iceflower.
The ladies all looked lovely.

Love the pics of Mary and Frederik dancing, they look to be having a great time.

A little story from Politiken: Dannebrog fra ruinerne af World Trade Center ender på nyt museum - Politiken.dk

About a Dannebrog which fell from the sky as one of the towers fell. (*)

Since it was found at Ground Zero by firefighters it has been hanging in the Danish consulate in New York. It will now be handed over to the museum at Ground Zero.
That presentation was to have taken place yesterday in connection with the ceremony at Ground Zero, but unfortunately the royal schedule was too tight.
So a formal hand over will take place at a later date.

It was actually not the only flag found in the ruins. Altogether about fifteen flags have been found. Among them from Italy, China, Ireland and Israel.
All the flags of the members of the United Nations stood in various locations in or at the World Trade Centre.

No Danes were among the 93 nationalities killed on 9/11.

(*) According to legend the first Dannebrog fell from the sky in 1219.
(It is FasterB). :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm afraid my NYC plans have fallen through and Daria will have to hold the fort and eat Danish food in Union Square for both of us:bang:

I'll do my best. Really hoping my social anxiety (and anxiety in general) gets in the way. I haven't been to the area, so I'm a little nervous (having a visual impairment doesn't help), so let's keep our fingers crossed. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet a fellow Royal admirer.

:previous: Oh well that is a shame indeed. Just hope Daria can get a nice closeup of Mary wearing a jewel. That would be great, but unless one has a long lens I guess not so likely. I bet you feel disappointed but cheer up I am sure there will be another time for you both to connect.

Well, I have a rather simple camera, so hoping I'll get a good spot, and a good shot.

What a lovely picture. She looks radiant.

Nice start of the visit, can't wait to see more of the trip.
Not a big fan of Mary's dress at the gala. I thought her tweed jacket and grayish dress was a lovely mix.

I'll do my best. Really hoping my social anxiety (and anxiety in general) gets in the way. I haven't been to the area, so I'm a little nervous (having a visual impairment doesn't help), so let's keep our fingers crossed. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet a fellow Royal admirer.

I'm thinking of you right now Daria and so sorry we couldn't be navigativing Union Square together with our cameras and binoculars. I used live a block away and the square is much improved and the general atmosphere has become friendlier and helpful. Just knowing "One of us" was there is enough for me:flowers:

As an American, I really appreciated the visit to Ground Zero by the Scandinavians officials. It was very touching to see them lay the bouquets around the tree and pay their respects.

You are very kind to write this Tarlita, I am VERY disappointed.
As far as jewels, I did notice a nice brooch at the 9/11 event.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom