Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: July 17, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect that William and Catherine would have loved this sort of wedding ... which I believe is why they put the trees in the Abbey. They almost divided the 'mass of people they had to have' from the intimate family occasion which they both would have preferred.

The Queen chooses which tiara the bride gets to wear. I think that choosing this particular tiara, the one she wore at her own wedding, and the one which Princess Anne wore, and which is seen as being a particularly high status tiara, was a very big gesture to show her love and support for Beatrice, and to give her something special under two sets (Covid-19 and the Andrew saga) of strange and difficult circumstances. What a lovely thing for her to do.

She doesn't. They offer a selection based on what the bride wants and what is available. How cruel to just hand them the one she wants. As if. And like I said she has only given four brides a tiara in the last twenty years.

Last edited:
I think there's a happy medium between a big blow out and a wedding for 20ish people with some people you might really want to be there unable to attend because of the rules, but I think small weddings are going to be the choice for a while, including some society weddings/extended Windsor family "royal" weddings.

Bea's was already going to be smaller by royal standards, with 150 guests in Chapel Royal and that might become closer to the norm. I don't think anyone *has* to get married at Windsor either, Zara got married at Canongate Kirk.

If George gets married it will still likely be a semi state occasion though, even if like his parents he would prefer a smaller, more intimate one.

We actually don't know how many people Bea was going to have at her wedding in May. We know the maximum was 150 but they may have only been going to have 50 or 100.

Any photographers here?
Is this a special technique of wedding photography that the bride looks away from the groom? the photos are really cute , but very unusual , normaly the couple looks to the same direction or in each ther's eyes.
But after all it is only a few, guess they have the"usual" ones aswell :)

I'm not a photographer but the one they appointed uses a reporting style where none of the shots are formally staged so it has a more natural, relaxed feel. I've attended weddings here which have had that kind of photography and the couple ends up with a whole album (digital and/or printed) that covers their day from preparations to last firework. If they want a family group photo they can have one too but those aren't the main images taken.

I'm sure in the 100s of photos taken, there are some of them both looking at each other or to camera but they've chosen this shot as one they like best I suppose.

I think there's a happy medium between a big blow out and a wedding for 20ish people with some people you might really want to be there unable to attend because of the rules, but I think small weddings are going to be the choice for a while, including some society weddings/extended Windsor family "royal" weddings.

Bea's was already going to be smaller by royal standards, with 150 guests in Chapel Royal and that might become closer to the norm. I don't think anyone *has* to get married at Windsor either, Zara got married at Canongate Kirk.

If George gets married it will still likely be a semi state occasion though, even if like his parents he would prefer a smaller, more intimate one.

I think 150 would be rather more than most people would have anyway. I don't think there will be any choice in the matter for a good while. And I certainly wouldn't be eager to go to a wedding with around a hundred people, a sit down meal and a party, anytime soon. Trouble is that it really isn't possible to do outdoor reception, drinks etc. In the UK six months of the year. So smaller weddings, if people want to go ahead, will become the norm and perhaps fashionable. Weddings are huge for the economy though.

Last edited:
She doesn't. They offer a selection based on what the bride wants and what is available. How cruel to just hand them the one she wants. As if. And like I said she has only given four brides a tiara in the last twenty years.

How do you know “she doesn’t”? Are you just assuming?

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know “she doesn’t”? Are you just assuming?

[...]

Looking at the evidence of what each of them wore and stories about what they wanted etc. It seems obvious they they can have a choice. It can always be they want one which is unavailable but that is life.

That she hands them one is also assuming and we have no evidence of that.

Let's not make unfavourable comments about other royal weddings please - posts of that nature have been deleted along with responses.

The Queen chooses which tiara the bride gets to wear. I think that choosing this particular tiara, the one she wore at her own wedding, and the one which Princess Anne wore, and which is seen as being a particularly high status tiara, was a very big gesture to show her love and support for Beatrice, and to give her something special under two sets (Covid-19 and the Andrew saga) of strange and difficult circumstances. What a lovely thing for her to do.

There is plenty of speculation, but none of actually know how the actual proces by which tiara's get selected. I would not be surprised if the Queen were to provide the potential bride some choices, but what I am reasonably sure about is that the Queen is closely involved in the process.

As to the tiara selections of the Queen's grand daughters, I would not be surprised that these are conversatons that have happened between the girls and their grandmother over many years, and the choices refined over time.

Forgive me if I have missed this, but do we know if there were any bridesmaids or if Eugenie was matron of honour? It would be lovely if there were a photo of Beatrice with Eugenie and Sarah. I guess the issue of releasing a photo of a wider group is the presence of Andrew, but it’s not unusual to have photos of the bride with her mother and sister.

Forgive me if I have missed this, but do we know if there were any bridesmaids or if Eugenie was matron of honour? It would be lovely if there were a photo of Beatrice with Eugenie and Sarah. I guess the issue of releasing a photo of a wider group is the presence of Andrew, but it’s not unusual to have photos of the bride with her mother and sister.

I think it’s a DM article that says Eugenie was Maid of Honour (I appreciate she would be a Matron as she’s married, but the DM refers to her as Maid).

I have read that Wolfie was best man and page boy, that his cousins (Edo's niece and nephew) were also attendants and that Eugenie was the 'Maid/Matron of Honour).

I am not sure whether it was the DM, DE, The Sun or The Times or it might have been in more than one of those listed.

So, she's married and has released some photos.

My impression: not ugly, but not pretty/beautiful either. The dress makes her look matronly and I find the added sleeves "truttig" (frumpy/dowdy?).
And I would have preferred an updo.
The whole thing gives me a "meh" feeling.

I suppose we have now had the weddings of all of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh's grandchildren - save for Louise and James.
For me, Eugenie is the winner - still.

The announcement said that she was "attended" by Eugenie, so, yes, it sounds like she was matron of honour.

They said about 20 people, and I think that probably includes the vicar and the photographer. Beatrice, Edo, Andrew, Sarah, Eugenie, Jack, Wolfie, Edo's mum, his sister and her husband and children, the Queen, Prince Philip ... not really room for many more!

I'd be interested to know how many people are ending up with well under the limit of 30, to avoid the awkward thing of if we ask Auntie A and Uncle B, we'll also have to ask Auntie C and Uncle D and Auntie E and Uncle F, and then we'd be over the limit so we'd have to choose between them ... OK, we won't ask any of them ...

I think Alby Shale, Edo and Natalia's half brother was there and his new step father. There were two vicars plus the photographer and maybe an organist to play the music brings it to 20 people.

They apparently also had 14 close friends join them for the evening celebrations. Which minus the Queen and Prince Phillip and the vicars, is still within the 30 people outdoor gathering limit.

Before I die I would like to know what happened with Sophie's Tiara. It is right up there with who killed JFK :)

The photographer would almost certainly have an assistant taking photos too so there's another one.

I suspect that William and Catherine would have loved this sort of wedding ... which I believe is why they put the trees in the Abbey. They almost divided the 'mass of people they had to have' from the intimate family occasion which they both would have preferred.

Yep - The Wessexes as well - this is the wedding they had envisioned. for all we know maybe even Meghan and Harry. I recently saw a movie where is was said that Royals are rarely free to make any decision themselves. This been a point in case.

Before I die I would like to know what happened with Sophie's Tiara. It is right up there with who killed JFK :)

It may have been made up specially for that occasion and the n taken apart again. As was the case with Lady Sarah.

The tiaras on offer to anyone is depending on which ones are in use at any one time. The lotus flower tiara was worn by Serena Snowdon on her wedding and may well have been a choice now but that it has been leant to Catherine for use.

It depends what is around at the time.

If Louise gets married she will more than likely use one of her mothers, as Zara did. Fergie didn't have any for the girls

Last edited:

Sophie's or Sarah's tiara?

It may have been made up specially for that occasion and the n taken apart again.

The tiara was worn in 2001, so it wasn't taken apart straight away.

If it had gone up for Auction as a complete piece in the past 20 years I think someone would have noticed as well.

Sophie's or Sarah's tiara?

Must be Sarah's. Sophie still wears the one given to her I think.

They probably repurposed Sarah's.

It always surprised me that P. Margaret's children were allowed to sell the Poltimore.

Pippa's wedding has been one of my favorite styles/colors/flowers in a wedding...and Beatrice's reminds me of that. This will be one of my favorites too.

LaRae

I too was reminded of Pippa's wedding. :flowers:
I think it's because of the venue (pretty little church) and the flowers.

It always surprised me that P. Margaret's children were allowed to sell the Poltimore.

Lovely as it was, the Poltimore did not have any royal provenance other than its use by Margaret. So if given a choice, I would much rather see it go than say, the turquoise and diamond parure used by Margaet, which I hope is now back in the royal vaults.

Lovely as it was, the Poltimore did not have any royal provenance other than its use by Margaret. So if given a choice, I would much rather see it go than say, the turquoise and diamond parure used by Margaet, which I hope is now back in the royal vaults.

A lot of them don't really. Most are a result of Queen Mary and her itchy fingers convincing people to give them to her. As was the case with the one Eugenie wore. In fact nearly all of them have something to do with Queen Mary.

Last edited:
Wasn't Eugenie's part of the large Greville bequest to the Queen Mother(then Queen Elizabeth) by arch snob Mrs Greville in her will?

Wasn't Eugenie's part of the large Greville bequest to the Queen Mother(then Queen Elizabeth) by arch snob Mrs Greville in her will?

May well have been. Then we must have the two Queens to thank for the exquisite collection.

You would be correct, Eugenie was the first member of the royal family to wear that tiara.

I thought about that and pondered on how IMO it was unique in that it was a floral motif and it would be an act of vandalism to break it up. As to whether it was sold, Sarah may have as it was a wedding present but with the way the York's marriage/divorce goes it might be a sentimental piece.

Realistically, had she worn that beautiful tiara the media would have rehashed the vicissitudes of both her parents lives from when first their eyes met over the last petit four on a plate.

Beatrice's and Edo's wedding shines as that most impossible of dreams, a private and romantic fantasy they could never have thought possible.[emoji898]

Felicitations. [emoji177]

Back
Top Bottom