HGD Guillaume and Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy, Current Events 1: May - October 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:archduke imre's fiancée Kathleen is an extreme pro-life supporter, who is proud of campaigning in front of Planned Parenthood. she is very vocal about her views.

Oh thanks for the update.

Marengo said:
Ah, happely mingling with a woman who is sharing her extremist views in an unorthodox way with the world. I can't imagine my own crown prince being able to that, even when such a woman will be a cousin-by-marriage.

Yes, she's certainly not someone I could have a civil conversation with. The American anti-abortion movement is often incredibly narrow minded and ugly and they resort to harassing young women who are simply trying to see their doctors in peace, and it's quite distasteful.

I don't know that I could tolerate her even to preserve family unity.

Who's extremist and what's are her views?

Kathleen Walker, fiancee to Archduke Imre.

For starters, I have read that she told one American news outlet that rape victims must shoulder at least some of the responsibility for their circumstances because of the way they are dressed....which to me is vicious and uncalled for if it is true.

Perhaps all the females of this country, including infants and elderly women-should wear burqas?

I can't really fault Guillaume for being photographed with her though...Imre is his cousin...what can he do?? I doubt he shares her views...he is a intelligent, rational and sympathetic a young man.

Kathleen Walker, fiancee to Archduke Imre.

For starters, I have read that she told one American news outlet that rape victims must shoulder at least some of the responsibility for their circumstances because of the way they are dressed....which to me is vicious and uncalled for if it is true.

Perhaps all the females of this country, including infants and elderly women-should wear burqas?

I can't really fault Guillaume for being photographed with her though...Imre is his cousin...what can he do?? I doubt he shares her views...he is a intelligent, rational and sympathetic a young man.

Wow, that's a really harsh view of women. I wouldn't be surprised if the Luxembourg royal family are of similar; if not as extreme, view on abortion as they're very devout Catholics. I think they're smart enough to keep any extreme view themselves though. I don't mind differing opinions but extremists of any kind are dangerous IMO.

Last edited:
I'm from a very devout Catholic family as well and have managed all my life never to talk to any of them about those very Catholic topics... I don't think the future Archduchess will be so gauche and force such topics on her future-in-laws. As a Habsburg asked for her hand in marriage, she at least should have good manners.

I'm an observant Catholic, however, I would never impose my views so publicly on anyone else. Even though the Grand Ducal family is very Catholic, I can't imagine them approving of this woman publicly stating that women who are raped deserve some of the blame. Really!?

Wow, that's a really harsh view of women. I wouldn't be surprised if the Luxembourg royal family are of similar; if not as extreme, view on abortion as they're very devout Catholics. I think they're smart enough to keep any extreme view themselves though. I don't mind differing opinions but extremists of any kind are dangerous IMO.

The GDF are famously devout, which means that there is a good chance that they are anti-abortion.

I happen to believe that being anti-abortion does NOT make a person an extremist...any more than being so-called pro choice.

I am an observant Catholic who in general finds the idea of abortion on demand abhorrent, but I am no extremist.

What does sound extreme to me is insisting that women who have survived this assault on their bodies and their spirits must carry through with any pregnancy that might result because "it's not the baby's fault".

THAT is extreme, and it is what Ms. Walker believes.

Last edited:
I'll have Google more info on Ms. Walker. I've heard snippets about her but not a lot.

G & S are such a cute couple. I'm really excited for their wedding.

The GDF are famously devout, which means that there is a good chance that they are anti-abortion.

I happen to believe that being anti-abortion does NOT make a person an extremist...any more than being so-called pro choice.

I am an observant Catholic who in general finds the idea of abortion on demand abhorrent, but I am no extremist.

What does sound extreme to me is insisting that women who have survived this assault on their bodies and their spirits must carry through with any pregnancy that might result because "it's not the baby's fault".

THAT is extreme, and it is what Ms. Walker believes.

That's what I meant, as I said I can respect differing views but saying a woman who's raped bear some responsibility is extreme in my view.

As, this is not a discussion that focuses on GD Guillaume & Stephanie I will end my contribution here.

Haven't heard any Stephanie/Guillame news lately, in mid July.

This is the time of year that the Grand Ducal Family traditionally leaves for the South of France, where they have their summer residence.

It wouldn't surprise me if Countess Stephanie has joined her soon to be in-laws there, at least for a period of time.

Other than the Swedish christening where they did indeed appear solemn and pre-occupied, I don't think they have made any official appearances as a couple.

They attended a garden party at Berg Castle for National Day where they color coordinated their clothes and looked happy and relaxed, and a few days later a Red Cross rescue dog event at Berg where they again seemed quite casual and relaxed.

Last edited:
It is a relief that they are not (as far as we know) "living together". The Christian monarchs of England and Europe have accustomed us now to having royal boyfriends and girlfriends living together even before engagement. This is a new way of doing things, not necessarily immoral if it's considered seriously as an engagement period. But certainly not in the tradition of Christian marriage. And yet they have Christian "christenings". I wish them all well and hope God blesses them all.

Some royal young people do not even live together, but hop from partner to partner. This is very much against the tradition of Christian marriage. How much is press related and how much is actual, we do not know. I think that Prince Harry's interminable affair with Chelsey was an example of this. Reasonable people should be able to get the families together and discuss the possibilities instead of just going on and on and hoping something OK will emerge. Apparently nothing OK emerged with Harry and Chelsey, which I think is absurd, considering the length of their relationship.
There is no REASONABLE consideration of the situation. It's seemingly back to the bad behavior of Edward VII and George V when they were young men. And then George V objected to his son's endless affairs with married women--guess he would have preferred unmarried paramours.

Well, anyway, here's to the traditional charm of Stephanie and Guillaume.

Lots of puritanical ideas about relationships floating around the forums these days. I personally, much prefer to see people learn to know each other as adults and take as long as they need before deciding whether they want more, and I think the idea that marriage is the ultimate goal of any relationship is really limiting and puts undue pressure on couples.

(Note that I don't mean to imply that the way these two have approached marriage is bad, just that I don't see it as the only good way to do things.)

I'm not going to get into the morality of the situation, nor to say that one way of living is better than another. I.E. William's cohabitation with Kate is not any better or any worst than Guillaume's [as far as we know] traditional courtship with Stephanie. That said, it is striking how traditional the Nassau's of Luxembourg are [Louis aside]. Guillaume's engagement with Stephanie is something out of yesteryear. Stephanie is what years ago would have been considered a "good" girl. She lives on her family's estate and presumably has had no prior relationships. Guillaume is seen with Stephanie in formal engagements and its all quite wholesome. Guillaume has also lead a quiet and scandal free life.

I find it charming how the Nassau's are bucking the trend. Not only is Stephanie a genuine noble, she is also [and forgive the use of the word] a "good" girl. So different than the other royal families.

It is striking how traditional the Nassau's of Luxembourg are [Louis aside]. Guillaume's engagement with Stephanie is something out of yesteryear... I find it charming how the Nassau's are bucking the trend. Not only is Stephanie a genuine noble, she is also [and forgive the use of the word] a "good" girl. So different than the other royal families.

I don't think of the Nassau's as traditional and scandal free. Just the opposite. Three generations in a row have had princes who either had children out of wedlock (Grand Duke Henri's brother Prince Jean; Prince Louis) or married their pregnant girlfriend (Grand Duke Jean's brother Prince Charles.) Not ideal situations.

I think Lindy is right.

I think the difference lies more in the way the family handles scandals, and the fact that the Nassau's relatively low international profile allows these occasional "sidesteps" to play out quietly and beneath the radar.

I do admire the way the Louis/Tessy situation was handled by Henri and Maria-Teresa. They seemed never to lose sight of the fact that Louis was their son. Tessy and baby Gabriel were demonstrated to be very much part of the family unit. There was no apparent pressure put upon them to wed, but marry they eventually did.

And nobody went to the tabloids.

If seems like when anyone royal is seriously dating someone or engaged to be married, issues such as religion and morality always seem to be brought up or it's made into an issue. Some of this has to be with people being curious but also people who make judgements about decisions that are made. You have mixture of both. IMO it's a non-issue.

Several off-topic posts have been removed. Just a reminder, that religion is not to be discussed within the forum. Please keep on-topic - Guillaume and Stéphanie's current events, with Olympic appearances to be discussed in the Olympic Forum.

Any questions should be directed to the moderators via PM.

JessRulz
Lux. Forum Moderator

I agree that the way the Luxemburger family handled "scandals" was what made them less noticeable over all. Yes, the way they handled the Louis/Tessy situation was perfect. And these people (Louis/Tessy) are within the family and participating in royal duties. And Maria Teresa and Henri did not "lose" their first two grandchildren. Every family has problems but how they are resolved is the crucial thing, with as much charity and dignity and common sense as possible. Some others seem to be defying the very tabloids to take them on, was my only point. Tabloid wars are not royal behavior.

Agreed, looking great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom