The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2020, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is still nice even if it is protocol. CP Frederik for example didn't bow to King Philippe on the King of the Belgians' state visit to Denmark, but CP Mary curtsied.

Prince Charles obviously values protocol.
When F. didn´t bow, he obviously does not know what he ows to a King or Queen. Pretty strange for a man born into a reigning royal family and future King. Still I wouldn´t call it "nice" if someone bows his head to a King as it is a normally something institutionalised ritual that you just do because it is, these days more or less, expected of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But Prince Charles is older.
This has nothing to do with age, but status. Even if Charles was 80 and the King or Queen he would meet would be 18 or in his 20s, he would bow his head if he would obey royal protocol.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Camilla today, her most important solo event to date.

https://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/ph...%A9/1202307464
Yes indeed & a most solemn one.

I wonder why she was seated where she was. She did represent one of the important players of ww2 after all. I guess it must be because of her lowly status compared to heads of state. Still strikes me as odd though.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes indeed & a most solemn one.

I wonder why she was seated where she was. She did represent one of the important players of ww2 after all. I guess it must be because of her lowly status compared to heads of state. Still strikes me as odd though.
Events like this are done on precedence, and ease of access to the main stage if needed for speaking. Camilla, is not a head of state nor is she the wife of one. Has nothing to do with the part the United Kingdom played in the war.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
When F. didn´t bow, he obviously does not know what he ows to a King or Queen. Pretty strange for a man born into a reigning royal family and future King. Still I wouldn´t call it "nice" if someone bows his head to a King as it is a normally something institutionalised ritual that you just do because it is, these days more or less, expected of you.

CP Frederik always bows to his own mother, so he understands the protocol. For some reason, he chooses, however, not to bow to King Philippe or, indeed, also to King Willem-Alexander.

In any case, bowing is never compulsory, especially to the the Head of State of another country. Prince Charles does it out of respect and tradition, I suppose.

EDIT: BTW, I just noticed that Prince Henrik didn't bow either. Prince Joachim was the only male member of the Danish royal house who observed the protocol on that video.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I find all the trifling about bowing very disrespectful seeing as the thread is about the 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz,there's a thread on bowing and curtsies in the General Royal Discussion area.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Events like this are done on precedence, and ease of access to the main stage if needed for speaking. Camilla, is not a head of state nor is she the wife of one. Has nothing to do with the part the United Kingdom played in the war.
Yes I understand. These type of events don't always follow a strict precedence though. If you look at the arrival of the Prince of Wales at the D Day 70th events he arrives after all the heads of state (including crowned heads) other than POTUS & his mother who arrive next in that order. That was very much a recognition of the part British (& Canadian) troops played.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes I understand. These type of events don't always follow a strict precedence though. If you look at the arrival of the Prince of Wales at the D Day 70th events he arrives after all the heads of state (including crowned heads) other than POTUS & his mother who arrive next in that order. That was very much a recognition of the part British (& Canadian) troops played.
You can look similarly to the events in Israel recently where the last person to sit down was President Putin.

D-Day was a very country specific WW2 event, the liberation is not.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You can look similarly to the events in Israel recently where the last person to sit down was President Putin.

There will be other examples where precedence is not always strictly followed but this is not the thread to have that discussion I feel.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Photo from swedish prime minister Stefan Löfven's Facebook
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...93&oe=5E9318B9

Photo from Flickr of The Office of the President of Finland
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2ee7a5ff_k.jpg

Princess Victoria attends International Holocaust Victims Remembrance Day in Poland* _ Daily Mail Online

Gallery of Victoria in Auschwitz
Belga Image

Victoria stayed in Poland overnight.
Crown Princess Victoria has become stuck at the airport in Poland since the government plane again had technical problems and stayed in Poland.
- Yes, it is true that the crown princess stays overnight, confirms the director of the press department Margareta Thorgren for TT.
Victoria participated with Prime Minister Stefan Löfven and Speaker of the Riksdag Andreas Norlén during Monday's memorial ceremony for the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp.
All swedish survivors from the Holocaust who were on the trip were able to go home with the second government plane during the evening. But to make this possible, Victoria chose to stop at the airport and return home regularly at 5am on Tuesday morning.
Swedish civil servants have also stayed at the airport to allow all survivors to come home during the evening. However, Stefan Löfven and Andreas Norlén have been placed on the plane with destination Sweden.
Victorias fina gest mot de Förintelseöverlevande

The commemoration was so moving, it is important to listen to the speeches of the survivors. And take care that it will never happen again.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I find all the trifling about bowing very disrespectful seeing as the thread is about the 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz,there's a thread on bowing and curtsies in the General Royal Discussion area.
Yes, me too. It is a pity that trivial issues are being discussed in this thread rather than the importance of the event itself. I agree with the previous poster who said it shows what a world we live in if some are more concerned about who bowed to who rather than the deceased and surviving of Auschwitz.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-28-2020, 12:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, me too. It is a pity that trivial issues are being discussed in this thread rather than the importance of the event itself. I agree with the previous poster who said it shows what a world we live in if some are more concerned about who bowed to who rather than the deceased and surviving of Auschwitz.

Agree. It is not important discuss about bowing and other court habits on thread where main thing is memorizing of genocide. There is surely suitable thread for court habits.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
This forum a royal one, this particular thread is from a Royal point of view! And by that observations about royal persons at this event are not "disrespectful", but the reason for this thread at all! Claiming a few words about royal etiquette was disrespectful I find truely hypocritical...
This is not a thread only about this tragic anniversary of the liberation or a service of remembrance we take part of personally, laying wreaths. We only follow events as observers. No one of us discussing here (in the virtual world) was actually there acting undignified or something....
And this is hardly the proper place at all to discuss or even remember "the deceased and surviving of Auschwitz"! If you look at the posts above, this hasn`t been done anyway - it was all about who took part, who sat where, the swedish CPcss being stuck at the airport etc.
If you want to pay respect to those who so terribly suffered in the concentration camps you should join other "real" people in the real world at one of the events of rembembrance taking place everywhere these days, not in the internet and by no means on a royal internet platform, to do so!
Old 01-28-2020, 02:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Putin came last simply because he was late!
Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 AM
Royal Highness

who is the lady seated by King Philippe
Old 01-28-2020, 05:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
who is the lady seated by King Philippe

Poland’s First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:32 AM
Nobility

Wartenberg is right, Putin was simply late as he always is. He just can do whatever he wants, he's the man, you know. Worse even than Trump, though definitely not dumb like him. He's doing it on purpose and he's doing it to everyone, let it be the almighty Chancellor of Germany or the President of Belarus, whom he considers subordinate.

Why would anyone think of seating the Duchess of Cornwall in front row with presidents and kings and queens? It's protocol and I'm sure everything was set up according to it. And I'm sure Camilla was sat somewhere near Haakon and Victoria and between prime ministers.

What struck me is that when the Polish President, as host, came in and sat as the last dignitary, the Kings of the Netherlands and Belgium stood up, probably to greet him, and were ignored. He's not much of a diplomat.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria discussing Jewish-Swedish relations.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B72HSD9D...=1jw604omj66md
https://www.instagram.com/p/B72DYtWj...=1xbs9o2zluzf4

Victoria was interviewed in Auschwitz by swedish TV4, video of her interview:
- To come here ... it is ... you are struck by the ambiance, there is something special in this place, it does not go away like everything that has happened. It creeps in. To come here together with the survivors. It is enormously strong. I feel really strong feelings. It is so hugely important. I am happy and grateful that we had so many survivors with us who made the trip from Sweden, who had strength to make this trip. For their testimony and getting here is important.
Why is it important not to forget?
- We must not deny what happened. Their testimony and the history. What has actually happened has happened, we must not deny it, however, we must learn from it. We have to learn from it to make sure nothing like this can ever happen again. I would also like that we remind ourselves that we absolutely must not accept that there are people today who are experiencing persecution and oppression, threats and violence. We must not accept that. It must not be normalized in our society.
”Det är enormt starkt och viktigt” – sĺ hedrar Kronprinsessan Förintelsens offer

Victoria, prime minister Stefan Löfven and Speaker of the Riksdag Andreas Norlén with the swedish Holocaust survivors who flew with them to Auschwitz.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1100010060011G158022441075572
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdl2B...arkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlkf...arkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlx1...arkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlBb...arkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlIZ...arkPreview.jpg

Gallery
TT Nyhetsbyrĺn

Victoria and Speaker of the Riksdag Andreas Norlén
https://editorial01.shutterstock.com...-10540361y.jpg
Old 01-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The King and Queen of Spain at Auschwitz

Old 01-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

The norwegian delegation, lead by the Crown Prince, at the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz:
https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html...7350&sek=26939 (photos)