Olympics Buckingham Palace Reception for Foreign Royals & Governments: July 27 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Olympics Buckingham Palace Reception for Foreign Royals & Governments: July 27 2012

LondonOlympicslogos.jpg

a%20crown.gif
. . . . . . . . . . . .
a%20crown.gif
. . . . . . . . . . . .
a%20crown.gif

Buckingham Palace Reception

Foreign Royals

and
Foreign Government Representatives

:crown5:. . . . . . . . . . . . :crown5:. . . . . . . . . . .
a%20crown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmed Attendees for Queen Elizabeth's Reception

Great Britain

• Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh
  • The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
  • The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
  • Prince Harry
  • The Princess Royal
  • The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Denmark

• Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik
Norway

• Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Spain

• Queen Sofia
Other Heads of State

• President Dilma Rousseff of Brazil
  • Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh
  • First Lady Michelle Obama of the United States of America

Last edited:
Reception is about the start, press are awaiting arrivals.

For the departure from the Palace to the Olympic Stadium most heads of state/delegations will apparently be traveling by bus.

I'm up going to check my feed and start updates

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Guests include Michelle Obama, Queens of Denmark and Spain, Norway's Crown Prince, President of Brazil (the next hosts).
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter We're atBuckingham Palace, waiting for foreign heads of state and PMs to arrive later for a reception hosted by the Queen.

Max Foster ‏@MaxFosterCNN
Expecting the young royals here at palace too in final part of the #Olympics build-up #Kate #PrinceWilliam #PrinceHarry

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter Almost the entire Royal Family wil be inside to greet the guests. The Queen's cousin Princess Alexandra is the only real absentee.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, although not officially working royals, will be here along with Prince and Princess Michael of Kent

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter First arrival is Canada's Governor General David Johnston.

georgina brewer ‏@Georginaitv A serious lockdown all round BP ahead of tonight's IOC reception ahead of opening ceremony. Queen and William Kate Harry all attending

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter So, just to recap, Will, Kate, Harry etc are already inside to greet the arriving guests.

Ok well that's all from me you guys will have to prob wait for pics shouldn't be too long. I can't hold on longer thanks to this stupid sleeping pill

Last edited:
Not liking the woman reporter on the BBC, she's very "perky".

So, the thread title isn't really correct, this is not a royal-specific event. The Swiss delegation has just gone in. The UN Secretary General is there. The Malawi President has just gone in. Presidents of Germany, Serbia etc. due very shortly.

BBC News have pictures and a correspondent outside, although they aren't concentrating on this event exclusively.

It was never for Royals attending the Olympics, the future engagements lists this event as "A reception for Heads of State and Government attending the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games, at Buckingham Palace."

Last edited:
Apparently Queen Sofia was late, arriving after the Queen had started giving her speech.

EIIR said:
Apparently Queen Sofia was late, arriving after the Queen had started giving her speech.

Over 15 minutes late, Queens speech was supposed to start at 5:30pm, it's unknown whether the speech was delayed or interrupted.

I must have missed the arrivals, thanks for the information Lumutqueen! :)

Michelle Obama arriving for the reception:
- Picture

The Queen's speech at the Olympic Heads of Government Reception

On the occasion of the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games, Prince Philip and I would like to extend a very warm welcome to you all.

As leaders of the many nations competing in the Games, you have come from around the world to witness this global festival of sport. I hope that you will enjoy your time in the United Kingdom, and I am sure that you will find a warm reception awaiting you, your athletes and the visiting spectators.

This will be the third London Olympiad: my great-grandfather opened the 1908 Games at White City; my father opened the 1948 Games at Wembley Stadium, and later this evening I will take pleasure in declaring open the 2012 London Olympic Games at Stratford, in the east of London.

Over recent months, many in these islands have watched with growing excitement the journey of the Olympic Torch around the United Kingdom. As the Torch has passed through villages and towns it has drawn people together as families and communities. To me, this spirit of togetherness is a most important part of the Olympic ideal; and the British people can be proud of the part they have played in keeping the spirit alive. Many sports played in these Games have their historic roots in this country; and as a nation we have an abiding passion for sport, as well as a tradition of fair play and a good-natured sense of fun.

In all our national Olympics teams there is so much of which we can be proud: groups of young men and women dedicated to excellence and achievement across numerous sporting disciplines. And these teams are ably supported by thousands of organisers, volunteers, and supporters who will be following the action not just at the Olympic venues here in the United Kingdom but throughout the world.

For all these reasons, I wish you and your countries a successful, enjoyable and memorable Games.

Last edited:
It wasn't on BBC1 Artemisia, it was on the separate BBC news channel, which at the minute it showing a countdown program.

Guests chomped on - quails eggs and celery salt, smoke duck and salmon and mini vegetable pasties. For dessert chocolate cherries, honey pralines and passion fruit pate.

Catherine is wearing an ice blue coat dress by the looks of it.

Regards to Edward, WHY do Royal men not buy new suits? I swear Edward and his brothers have had the same suits since they first wore them? It obviously shows good tailoring, but c'monnn! Their wives spend hundreds of pounds on new clothes, yet the men recycle suits from 20 years go. I have no problem with recycling, but I am bit sick of seeing the same suits on the men.

Lovely images, I am quite excited about the opening ceremony now. I cannot believe Queen Sofia was late...

Last edited:
Regards to Edward, WHY do Royal men not buy new suits? I swear Edward and his brothers have had the same suits since they first wore them? It obviously shows good tailoring, but c'monnn! Their wives spend hundreds of pounds on new clothes, yet the men recycle suits from 20 years go. I have no problem with recycling, but I am bit sick of seeing the same suits on the men.

Maybe they figure a dark blue suit is a dark blue suit? ;)

Is it me or does the dress that Mrs. Obama is wearing make her look like she's gained weight? Love the top, but the skirt isn't very flattering.

Are you kidding me? I'm sure they would not attend any official event in an inappropriate suits. Buying just for buying is not the way it should be.

I think they see a suit as a type of uniform. much happier in country garb (cords, wax jacket etc) but have to wear suits as a work uniform. Charles is the only one who looks comfortable in them but he's got STYLE!!!

My, even our President was present.
Apparently, Serzh Sarksyan will be present at the Opening ceremony as well.

Are you kidding me? I'm sure they would not attend any official event in an inappropriate suits. Buying just for buying is not the way it should be.

I am not saying they should not wear anything other than a suit, and I love a man in a suit, I just find it amusing that the Royal men wear suits for years yet their women spend money on clothes all the time. It shows good tailoring and proves an expensive suit will last.

The Queen's speech was lovely, I wonder if she gets nervous...

Back
Top Bottom