The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Not surprised, I always found she was over qualified for the position. Its the type of position that you can use as a stepping stone in your career (unless you decide to be a lifer but even then you'd likely move up to other roles in the royal household). Being basically Kate's lady in waiting, for a woman with Catherine's resume, seemed a mismatch.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Not surprised, I always found she was over qualified for the position.
I think actually she was not the right fit... Look at Gabriella Sancisi... I don't feel like she is over-qualified for Queen Máxima.

I hope Catherine gets her replacement from the diplomatic corps or more broadly the civil service. Ms Quinn had more of a financial/educational sector background and I believe a future PoW and QoE needs someone with a more policy/diplomatic background. Although people love to forget it, King & Queen are unelected political figures with real political soft power. The UK just do it behind the scene while Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden & co acknowledge it more openly... (e.g bringing delegations on tour, showing pictures of meeting with cabinet members etc)

Old 11-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
I think actually she was not the right fit... Look at Gabriella Sancisi... I don't feel like she is over-qualified for Queen Máxima.

I hope Catherine gets her replacement from the diplomatic corps or more broadly the civil service. Ms Quinn had more of a financial/educational sector background and I believe a future PoW and QoE needs someone with a more policy/diplomatic background. Although people love to forget it, King & Queen are unelected political figures with real political soft power. The UK just do it behind the scene while Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden & co acknowledge it more openly... (e.g bringing delegations on tour, showing pictures of meeting with cabinet members etc)
I tend to agree with most of this. I always thought she was an odd fit. Catherine Quinn is undoubtedly a very accomplished woman, but her background didn't seem quite right for the position she was undertaking, and I can see why either she or the Duchess or both decided that it might be time to move on. It also seems to me that there has been a distinct shift in the Cambridge's activities, and that might have some bearing on the timing of this departure.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think there is anything untoward going on. Catherine was always seen as overly qualified in many ways and didn't come from the usual civil service/diplomatic route. I think she has done a good job in getting The Duchess more confident in her role, taking on more hands on things, including a lot behind the scenes of charities it seems.

I believe when it says she wants to go back to charity work and to go part time.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Kate Middleton's private secretary quits her post after two years working for the future queen
Oxford-educated Catherine Quinn has been Kate's private secretary since 2017
She has been instrumental in helping Kate develop her ‘early years’ project
Miss Quinn has now decided to quit the role in search of new challenges

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ure-queen.html
yes, i was unsure of catherine quinn's background for this role, but clearly she has helped kate over these 2 years. rebecca deacon herself would probably not be the background for this role (and didn't have catherine quinn's credentials), yet she did a good job and kate is fond of her, so you just never know.

i wonder who will be her next PA.

in the last article, i saw that sophie agnew was also made redundant, i didn't know this:

This comes after one of Kate's most loyal aides Sophie Agnew was made redundant last month.

Ms Agnew was put in charge of the Duchess's personal assistants and had worked for Kate for seven years.

She joined the couple on their 2014 trip to Australia and New Zealand and was often seen accompanying the Royals on their international trips.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Comments about the Sussexes have been deleted. Please stick to the actual topic.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
yes, i was unsure of catherine quinn's background for this role, but clearly she has helped kate over these 2 years. rebecca deacon herself would probably not be the background for this role (and didn't have catherine quinn's credentials), yet she did a good job and kate is fond of her, so you just never know.

i wonder who will be her next PA.

in the last article, i saw that sophie agnew was also made redundant, i didn't know this:

This comes after one of Kate's most loyal aides Sophie Agnew was made redundant last month.

Ms Agnew was put in charge of the Duchess's personal assistants and had worked for Kate for seven years.

She joined the couple on their 2014 trip to Australia and New Zealand and was often seen accompanying the Royals on their international trips.
They may choose to promote someone from within. That is how she ended up with Rebecca who worked quite well for five years.

Catherine certainly had impressive credentials. But really not the right kind of credentials. Rebecca I would argue had better credentials as a private secratary. She had worked in the offices of Harry and William for a few years before Kate (and Sentebale before that). She had a working knowledge of working with royals and what that would entail.

Catherine has spent decades in administration but financial roles. Being a dean at Oxford, running major charity organizations. She would have been a good choice for working for the foundation, but as a private secratary, I stand by my over qualified statement. Its not surprising that she decided to move on after only two years in the post. Not enough of a challenge for her.

They could either choose someone within the royal households to promote, as they did with Rebecca.

or

Try someone knew with some kind of diplomatic background and take a chance.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Catherine Quinn was the Duchess of Cambridge’s Private Secretary, not her Personal Assistant. Two entirely different roles.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought she was over qualified as Private Secretary, never mind if she was a PA.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I thought she was over qualified as Private Secretary, never mind if she was a PA.
Catherine Quinn was NOT a personal asistant.

Is Simon Case also overqualified to be William’s Private Secretary?
Old 11-17-2019, 04:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

I know she was her Private Secretary (and referred to her as such in a post further up this thread) I was making the point I was of the believe she was extremely qualified, if not over qualified, for that demanding important role. I was joking that if I thought that for her being a Private Secretary then I would of thought her even more over qualified for the role of PA (not saying being a PA is not an important or demanding role of its own though).

Simon Case is well qualified to be William's Private Secretary, possibly you could say over qualified. He was a Private Secretary to the Prime Minster, The Deputy Prime Minister, Director of Strategy for GCHQ then the Principal Private Secretary to the Prime Minister under Cameron and May. His background as a civil servant is more the traditional route Private Secretaries come from.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

A number of off-topic posts have been deleted. This thread is about the Cambridges' staff and not about the types of charities Kate should be supporting. If you wish to discuss Kate and her charities, you can do so here.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's long-term housekeeper, Antonella Fresolone received the Royal Victorian Order from the Duke of Cambridge during an Investiture Ceremony at Buckingham Palace yesterday.
She had already worked for the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...18648089337856
Old 11-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Catherine Quinn was NOT a personal asistant.

Is Simon Case also overqualified to be William’s Private Secretary?
I don't see the comparison at all.

Simon Case whose career has been in civil service, and has served as a private secretary. His education and career resume are geared towards being a private secretary. Having worked with big titles like the PM, will give him a good foundation for when William is POW or king if he chooses to remain on. Coordinating the schedule, engagements and other activities for an individual, is something he has spent his career doing.

Catherine Quinn has no education or career history in civil service. She was COO of a major university business school before working for Kate. As well as chair of several large charitable foundations. Catherine went from being the person who would have had someone coordinating her schedule to attend functions, business meetings and events, to being the one to setting the schedule. Its definitely a side ways at best career step for a woman with her resume.

For Simon getting a position as PS to a new official, and taking on new challenges in the office is a step forward in the career path he chose. For Catherine it was likely a huge slow down. 2 years seems to have been enough time for her to realize she needs a new challenge again.

Quote:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's long-term housekeeper, Antonella Fresolone received the Royal Victorian Order from the Duke of Cambridge during an Investiture Ceremony at Buckingham Palace yesterday.
She had already worked for the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

https://twitter.com/RoyaleVision/sta...18648089337856
Nice honor. Been with them since just after George was born.

It seems pretty customary for those staff who stay more then five years in a position to receive it.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge has new Private Secretary- Hannah Cockburn-Logie OBE MVO Hannah is a British Diplomat and helped the Duke and Duchess during their India and Bhutan visit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaHXWqcX...pg&name=medium
Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Like Catherine Quinn, an impressive resume. 5 years with the embassy in India. And almost 2 years it looks like now with the British office to the EU in Brussels.

Seems slightly better fit compared to someone like Quinn. Quinn had been CEO of major charities and running the business office of an university. Hannah has done similar work, just at an international level. Hope to see her stay more then 2 years.

I thought there was 2 good routes to go 1. promote within 2. go with someone with a civil service background possibly in diplomacy like Simon Case for William. I seems they went with option 2.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:01 AM
Gentry

I am thrilled. She went the Maxima route minus the languages but you can't ask a lot from British public servants in that regards so this will do. I really hope they work well together and can achieve a bit more.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The Duchess of Cambridge has new Private Secretary- Hannah Cockburn-Logie OBE MVO Hannah is a British Diplomat and helped the Duke and Duchess during their India and Bhutan visit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaHXWqcX...pg&name=medium
Very impressive CV!
Old 06-11-2020, 10:08 AM
Gentry

Apparently Simon Case is not coming back from his secondment...
Old 06-11-2020, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton Hired a New Private Secretary
https://www.marieclaire.com/celebrit...ate-secretary/