Gender & Names for Kate & William's 3rd Child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too hard to guess this baby's gender:unsure:
Most important thing that mother and baby are in good health;)

If their third child is going to be a boy, I love to see these names- Constantine or Theodore:baby:

If their third child is going to be a girl, I also love to see these names- Alice or Adelaide:baby:

Well there are only 2 options for the baby's gender. and sometimes chidren go "boy, girl, boy..." so I'm kind of expecting another boy.

Well there are only 2 options for the baby's gender. and sometimes chidren go "boy, girl, boy..." so I'm kind of expecting another boy.

Sometimes is right. Sometimes boy...girl, girl, girl, girl, girl. Children don't follow patterns, not even in families. You could have 12 kids, and 11 of them girls and end up with a son.

Haven’t really got a name not many royal names I like. But I hope it’s a boy then maybe a Fredrick no ideas at all for a girl.

Sometimes is right. Sometimes boy...girl, girl, girl, girl, girl. Children don't follow patterns, not even in families. You could have 12 kids, and 11 of them girls and end up with a son.

Obviously... but among the younger royals there is mostly "both genders" not the sort of situations that must have been awful for upper class mothers in the old days of having 5 girls in a row, and needing a male heir. With the younger Windsors, Lord St Andrews has a son and 2 girls. Alex Ulster has a boy then a girl. Lady Davina Lewis has a girl then a boy..Sophie Wessex also girl and then boy.....Kate's had a boy, then a girl... Lady Helen Windsor has 2 sons then 2 girls. Only one I can think of that has "all one gender" is Lord Nicholas W, who has 3 sons.

Haven’t really got a name not many royal names I like. But I hope it’s a boy then maybe a Fredrick no ideas at all for a girl.

I think a girl is easier to speculate on.. Boys names for the senior royals are VERY limited.. I think it mgith be Frederick if they have a second boy.. but with a girl...mabey Alice, or Margaret or - Eleanor.. Definitely more to choose from....

i like sophia, amelia, and alice for a girl...

and...christian or frederick for a boy..although i dont like the nickname freddie so...i guess christian is my favorite for a boy...some have pointed out they seem to lean toward Hanoverian names

Well just google the names of Victoria's children and grandchildren....you'll see lots of repeats since then!

LaRae

I like the name Christian but there must be about a hundred "Christains" in Danish and Germany royalty..

If they would pick Albert for a boy, it could be constructed as naming both sons to the same man: Prince Albert of York/Cornwall & York/Wales), The Prince Albert, then The Duke of York, and finally King George VI.

Obviously... but among the younger royals there is mostly "both genders" not the sort of situations that must have been awful for upper class mothers in the old days of having 5 girls in a row, and needing a male heir. With the younger Windsors, Lord St Andrews has a son and 2 girls. Alex Ulster has a boy then a girl. Lady Davina Lewis has a girl then a boy..Sophie Wessex also girl and then boy.....Kate's had a boy, then a girl... Lady Helen Windsor has 2 sons then 2 girls. Only one I can think of that has "all one gender" is Lord Nicholas W, who has 3 sons.

Again you are talking patterns. What distant cousins have for children has no affect at all on what Kate and William will have. As you have said they have one of each, so this is not the case of 'all of one gender'.

While Frederik would be cute, Christian just seems off. Frederik at least has a British history. Christian doesn't as a first name, other then the German husband of Princess Helena.

If they would pick Albert for a boy, it could be constructed as naming both sons to the same man: Prince Albert of York/Cornwall & York/Wales), The Prince Albert, then The Duke of York, and finally King George VI.

I was leaning towards Albert today for some reason as well.

Again you are talking patterns. What distant cousins have for children has no affect at all on what Kate and William will have. As you have said they have one of each, so this is not the case of 'all of one gender'.

While Frederik would be cute, Christian just seems off. Frederik at least has a British history. Christian doesn't as a first name, other then the German husband of Princess Helena.

I'm not sure I believe in patterns. There are too many variables.

My dad had 9 siblings-7 boys,1 girl, 2 boys.
The four brothers that had children had girl, boy, boy--girl, boy, girl--boy, girl, girl--girl, girl, boy, boy, boy.
My husband's father was one of three boys, those brothers had boy, boy, boy--girl, boy--girl, girl, girl.
My husband was the one with the two brothers. We had girl, boy. His brothers had girl, girl, boy--girl, boy, girl.

No patterns there that I can discern.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that if the Cambridges have a male, we'll have another Prince Richard. Lots of history behind that name and one not overly used in current royal family history. We have the Duke of Gloucester who is a Richard but not many others. :D

I wouldn't be at all surprised that if the Cambridges have a male, we'll have another Prince Richard. Lots of history behind that name and one not overly used in current royal family history. We have the Duke of Gloucester who is a Richard but not many others. :D

Certainly if they are going to use a name in use (which its hard to avoid) Richard would be a good choice. The Duke of Gloucester who is 73 is the only one with it as a first name. The general public who know who Prince Richard is, simply know him as the Duke of Gloucester. Its not like using Edward for instance where though the Duke of Kent is not commonly known by his first name, there is the much younger Earl of Wessex who is. By the time this little baby is old enough to be doing engagements, he will likely be the only Richard.

Even as a middle name not highly used. The Earl of Ulster, his eldest son Xan and Prince Edward have it as a middle name. And they all have it as a middle name for the same reason, to honor Prince Richard. The earl and his son are of course Richard's son and grandson. Richard is one of Edward's godfathers (he was named for all of his godfathers).

I like the name Christian but there must be about a hundred "Christains" in Danish and Germany royalty..

Christian is nice. King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra's eldest son was Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward. Also the present Duke of York is Prince Andrew Albert Christian Edward.

Christian is nice. King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra's eldest son was Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward. Also the present Duke of York is Prince Andrew Albert Christian Edward.

But as a first name??? Hasn't been one born into the UK. Honestly would prefer Christian left to the Danes and their tradition.

Edward and Alexandra used it as Alexandra's father was Christian IX (he was named for his paternal grandparents, his maternal grandfather, and his dad).

I wasn't talking patterns.. I just said that most younger royals who are having children in the present day, have nearly all had "botht sexes"....

C son are of course Richard's son and grandson. Richard is one of Edward's godfathers (he was named for all of his godfathers).
I think Richard isn't used very often because it was considered an unlucky name.. like John. but there are other old royal names, such as Edmund, Thomas, and from Scotland ther are names like Kenneth, David, Duncan, Robert. They do have some choices. But I do like Richard myself and It would be nice to use it...
Also they could go for Welsh names like Owen, David again, Lllewellyn, - I must look up a few more welsh royal names...

Last edited by a moderator:
But as a first name??? Hasn't been one born into the UK. Honestly would prefer Christian left to the Danes and their tradition.

Edward and Alexandra used it as Alexandra's father was Christian IX (he was named for his paternal grandparents, his maternal grandfather, and his dad).

Christian would not have to be used as a first name. It could be used as a middle name.

As was Edward VIII: Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David

I've given no thought about this so straight off the bat...

Alice Frances ...... (and another one)

David Michael Philip

I think Richard isn't used very often because it was considered an unlucky name.. like John. but there are other old royal names, such as Edmund, Thomas, and from Scotland ther are names like Kenneth, David, Duncan, Robert. They do have some choices. But I do like Richard myself and It would be nice to use it...
Also they could go for Welsh names like Owen, David again, Lllewellyn, - I must look up a few more welsh royal names...

There are dozens of names yes. Highly unlikely they would choose Llewellyn or Owen, which aren't really mainline royal names. Nor are they along the lines of George and Charlotte, pretty standard boring classic names.

There has never been any mention I have seen that Richard is considered bad luck by the british royals. If Richard III was enough to rule out a name, I don't think you could find almost a single royal name to use. They all have some bad history to them.

Christian would not have to be used as a first name. It could be used as a middle name.

well speaking for myself, I'm considering the first name, or the one that the child will be called by. Most people wont know the other names, other than royal enthusiasts...I don't think it is an impossible choice.. jut that for me, its been used by a gazillion other royals...

I am still guessing girl and Alice.

The closest in relation to Cambridge Baby #3 would be Princess Andrew of Greece, Princess Alice of Battenburg, the Duke of Edinburgh's mother. I think it'd tickle Philip pink. :D

:previous: Indeed it would be a very lovely honor to Philip, to name a baby for his mother. The link to Princess Alice (Princess Louis of Hesse), the Countess of Althone and even the late Duchess of Gloucester, just deepens the choice.

Definitely a name one could strive to live up to :flowers:

I believe we can get fairly close in our prediction by studying the naming patterns of members of the current House of Windsor. Whether boy or girl names (generally) follow the below pattern.

Given name = Traditional Hanoverian Name
Middle names = honor a Hanoverian, Saxon or Montbatten ancestor.

This naming pattern is not 100% true to all members but generally works.

We can rule out combinations of George Alexander Louis and Charlotte Diana Elizabeth because they are already being used by William & Kate's current children. Therefore, my predictions are:

Boy ~ Edward Arthur Phillip

Girl ~ Caroline Catherine Victoria

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom