Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Poland & Germany - July 17-21, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, at least the kids are with their parents, instead of being left at home for months on end, as in the past.

Read more: William and Kate hold talks with Angela Merkel in Berlin - BBC News
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have held discussions with German Chancellor Angela Merkel as they continue their five-day tour of Poland and Germany.

The royal couple met Mrs Merkel at the chancellery in Berlin on the first day of a three-day visit to the country.

During a private lunch they were expected to discuss European politics, global issues and volunteer work.

The duke and duchess then visited the Brandenburg Gate and the Berlin Holocaust Memorial.

32 min german video of the walkabout at Brandenburger Tor:

Last edited:
:previous: True, but the difference now is that George has reached the age, where he has become aware of himself in regards to his surroundings. Especially if the surroundings pay an extraordinary (in a child's eyes) attention to him.

What I want to point out is that it's balancing act. And such a trip should preferably be a positive experience for a child, rather than a scary and overwhelming thing.
If that means George and Charlotte should leave the plane later with their nannies, so be it.
If the children happens to be in the mood for meeting other people, fine, let them join their parents.
If the children prefer to goof around in the background, sniffing flowers as we have seen the Swedish children do, so be it.
As long as it is on the children's terms at this stage. Once they get more used to it, then they can better understand and accept that "now it's time to say hello and smile".

I like to look at cute children as much as everyone else, but I'm less keen on looking at children who are uncomfortable with the situation, and that is something all royal families has to address, not just the BRF.
A big experiment is going on these years among the royal families, in regards to how to train their children to be in the public eye - considering that the children are different.
I think W&K are doing the right thing in exposing their children to the public early, but perhaps at smaller events initially, then gradually building up to bigger (more "adult") events.

But let's get it into perspective, while Daily Mail would no doubt revel in it, George has not thrown a tantrum. He has not been wailing his head off. He has not stepped on the feet on the Polish PM. Nor has his parents and nannies had to run after him on the runway. He just been uneasy.[/]

I think it's debatable whether George and Charlotte should have come on the trip - if their parents wanted them there and provided the requisite child care I don't see what the trouble is. But I don't buy the argument that they shouldn't be there because George may have been temporarily uneasy with the situation. He'll become more comfortable when these sorts of situations have gone from seeming strange to being familiar and routine. By definition, the only way they're going to become familiar and routine is by doing more of them. And if he starts doing more of them at ten or fifteen or eighteen they'll likely never be as second nature to him as if he's gradually introduced to them now.

That is actually precisely the point as Muhler explained above. On a Canadian or Australian tour, it would be comparatively easier to have events for the whole family, or organize a parallel program for the kids while their parents do something else. On a diplomatic mission to Germany, on the other hand, they feel "out of place" and that is why we barely get to see them. It is an unnecessary stress on the kids as it is unfriendly to them and gets in the way of the official program, It also puts unreasonable demands on the hosts in terms of forcing them to accommodate the special needs of the kids (keep in mind that, unlike the Canadians, the Germans are not "loyal subjects" hosting their future King !)

Why do they need to plan an event for the whole family and what special accommodations do the kids really need? We have no idea if the kids feel "out of place". I imagine they're perfectly happy playing with their nanny during the day and being with their parents when the day's activities are done.

:previous: True, but the difference now is that George has reached the age, where he has become aware of himself in regards to his surroundings. Especially if the surroundings pay an extraordinary (in a child's eyes) attention to him.

What I want to point out is that it's balancing act. And such a trip should preferably be a positive experience for a child, rather than a scary and overwhelming thing.
If that means George and Charlotte should leave the plane later with their nannies, so be it.
If the children happens to be in the mood for meeting other people, fine, let them join their parents.
If the children prefer to goof around in the background, sniffing flowers as we have seen the Swedish children do, so be it.
As long as it is on the children's terms at this stage. Once they get more used to it, then they can better understand and accept that "now it's time to say hello and smile".

I like to look at cute children as much as everyone else, but I'm less keen on looking at children who are uncomfortable with the situation, and that is something all royal families has to address, not just the BRF.
A big experiment is going on these years among the royal families, in regards to how to train their children to be in the public eye - considering that the children are different.
I think W&K are doing the right thing in exposing their children to the public early, but perhaps at smaller events initially, then gradually building up to bigger (more "adult") events.

But let's get it into perspective, while Daily Mail would no doubt revel in it, George has not thrown a tantrum. He has not been wailing his head off. He has not stepped on the feet on the Polish PM. Nor has his parents and nannies had to run after him on the runway. He just been uneasy.

I agree that it's a balancing act, but I think Kate and William are handling it well. George seems shy, so whether he is at a big event or small event, he's going to feel uncomfortable. And for all purposes, these airport meet and greets are small events. There are really only a handful of people there when they disembark/board the planes.

I'm sure William and Kate have put much thought into how these trips impact their children and will only do what they feel is best for them. For all we know, George could have a hard time being separated from them for a week, so they thought it was best to bring him along.

This trip is no different than the one they did back in September, so it's just confusing to see people act like this is George and Charlotte's first big trip.

Thanks for posting that video, Royal Norway. Kate and William have gotten quite a welcome in Poland and Germany. There have been huge crowds out to see them.

Last edited:
They weren't exposed to a lot of people in Canada really. The garden party was a limited attendance event and they had a parent with them at all times. The arrival was a tarmac arrival like we are seeing on this tour. The departure in Canada had people at a distance. However we saw George get out of the car and start 2 hand waving. He even shook the GG hand. The kid likes planes so he rather get on the plane then stand around while Mummy and Daddy talk to grown ups. A receiving line is something he going to do for the rest of his life.

It's hard to believe that a 4 or 5 minute stint on the tarmac with both parents present could be particularly traumatic. All kids have to be somewhere they'd rather not be from time to time. This is no different.

In response to several posts.

No, it's not the first time the children have joined W&K, but it's the first time we've seen George visibly uneasy with the situations as well as shy.
And that IMO is because he has grown older. He's now much more aware of his surroundings and the attention.
Charlotte, and other royal children her age, are pretty undisturbed by the situation. As long as a parent is around that's what is most important to her.
She will however also reach George's stage and perhaps she will be more shy and uncomfortable, perhaps less.

And yes, George and Charlotte, just like all other royal children, must learn to be in the public gaze. IMO that should be on the terms of the individual child, always on the child's terms.
Without comparing them to other royal children, or caving in to what the public want or what we want.
Some children may need more time, before coming out, or need a more secure environment in order to become adjusted.

Some children, like Estelle of Sweden, have been very much at ease with the public gaze from day one. That may change once she learns to read however...
Other children have played the royal duties into them. Where they are given a role and have fun and try things, while the press happens to snap away.
Others have been almost completely sheltered, like the Dutch trio, while still appearing at ease when they are out.
And one or two might need a little wack in the back of the head and learn how to behave...

My point is: I like to look at Charlotte and George. The more the better. Hurrah! But I will hate looking at them feeling uneasy, because they are thrust into a situation they are not ready for yet.
There are plenty of stories of the current royals who absolutely hated being in the public eye! Most of them because they IMO were not properly prepared.

Who knows? Maybe W&K will reconsider and change or cut down the way George (in this case) is on the job for the BRF.
Or perhaps they got it right and in a year we will see George behave like he's never done anything else but posing for the photographers and shaking hands with everyone.

Last edited:
I thought it was very clever and thoughtful for Germany's representatives to have the mini bouquet for Charlotte and it was actually quite adorable to see. It takes me back to my childhood when I was always collecting flowers into bouquets from my Grandmother's gardens.

But let's get it into perspective, while Daily Mail would no doubt revel in it, George has not thrown a tantrum. He has not been wailing his head off. He has not stepped on the feet on the Polish PM. Nor has his parents and nannies had to run after him on the runway. He just been uneasy.[/]

I think it's debatable whether George and Charlotte should have come on the trip - if their parents wanted them there and provided the requisite child care I don't see what the trouble is. But I don't buy the argument that they shouldn't be there because George may have been temporarily uneasy with the situation. He'll become more comfortable when these sorts of situations have gone from seeming strange to being familiar and routine. By definition, the only way they're going to become familiar and routine is by doing more of them. And if he starts doing more of them at ten or fifteen or eighteen they'll likely never be as second nature to him as if he's gradually introduced to them now.

I don't think we have any parameter for comparison in this case as no other royal couple AFAIK has taken their under-five children on an official diplomatic mission to a foreign country, not even to the best of my knowledge Victoria and Daniel, who get so much praise in this forum for teaching their children to feel comfortable in public.

I must say that taking the children along is probably something W&k discussed with the Foreign Office and the Royal Court before the trip and they must have agreed to it. Nonetheless, it still adds to the constant criticism that W&K have trouble separating their family life from their official duties unlike other royal couples.

Last edited:
It was great to see George and Charlotte again today. Little Charlotte is so adorable and quite a charming character! Her delight over the bouquet was really cute to watch.

I've noticed that. They need to give him a break, he's a shy 4-year-old who is not used to the attention yet and probably isn't quite old enough to understand why he has to do these sort of things. It also doesn't help that the Daily Mail is pointing out that Charlotte seems to be easier and more outgoing than her brother. I know that George has no clue of what they're saying, but I think it may already be setting up their "media personalities" to contrast each other: George as shy and difficult, Charlotte as friendly and easy. We all know that the way the media portrays them can stick around for a while, and it may be hard for him to overcome it as he gets older.

I agree. We are allowed to share our opinions on the children, but as long as we do so in a respectful manner - which is something the Daily Fail haven't done. The "can we go now, mummy?" headlines all the time when he is seen bother me - he's just a child; and shouldn't be mocked like this. Of course, it's fine to comment differing opinions politely about George's character, but, as I said before, so as long as it's polite. George and Charlotte are still very young.

The BBC article I posted in post 127, but updated and completely changed - read more:
William and Kate visit Berlin's Holocaust memorial - BBC News
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have visited Berlin's Holocaust memorial to pay tribute to the millions of Jewish people who died.

Prince William and Catherine saw the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, which represents a graveyard.

One survivor told them about his time at Auschwitz, where his parents were killed, and recalled the smell of burning bodies.

The couple are on a five-day tour of Poland and Germany with their children.

After looking around an underground museum at the memorial, the royal couple learned about some of the stories of the six million Jewish people killed during the Holocaust.

The duke and duchess then met a survivor of the Auschwitz concentration camp. Leon Schwarzbaum, 96, told them what life was like inside the camp.

At the age of 21, he worked as a runner for the camp commander.

Read more: Brexit won't divide our bond, Prince William tells Germany - ITV News
Prince William has said Brexit will not weaken the bond between Britain and Germany as he made a visit to Berlin.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge received an extremely warm reception as they arrived in Berlin with their two children.

The couple enjoyed a private audience with German leader Angela Merkel at the outset of their three-day visit.

It is one of a series of European visits for the family this year that are widely seen as an attempt to use the royals as part of a Brexit 'soft diplomacy' charm offensive.
Video:
Continuing their trip to Berlin, William and Kate attended a garden party hosted at the British Ambassadorial Residence, without Prince George and Princess Charlotte:
Home - ITNSource News

A speech by The Duke of Cambridge at The Queen's Birthday Garden Party in Berlin: https://www.royal.uk/speech-duke-cambridge-queens-birthday-garden-party-berlin
I should like to finish with a message that my grandmother The Queen has sent to you all for this evening, and which she asked me to read to you:

Prince Philip and I send our warmest good wishes to all of you gathered for this special Garden Party, on the occasion of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's official visit to Germany.

We have fond memories of our five State Visits to Germany, from our first in 1965 to our most recent in 2015. Over the course of those fifty years, British-German relations have thrived, allowing us to face the challenges and embrace the opportunities of the 21st century together.

I am delighted that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will experience the beauty of this country and the warmth of its people when they visit Berlin, Hamburg and Heidelberg.

I hope you all have a most enjoyable evening.

- Elizabeth R

Last edited:
I thought it was very clever and thoughtful for Germany's representatives to have the mini bouquet for Charlotte and it was actually quite adorable to see. It takes me back to my childhood when I was always collecting flowers into bouquets from my Grandmother's gardens.

Indeed. I'm sure it was a genuinely thoughtful gesture but whoever came up with the idea also obviously understands 'soft diplomacy' and all the optics that go with it very well.

Thanks, Royal Norway.
Finally the essence of the whole trip is covered. Brexit.
I should imagine a visit to France would be very high on the agenda.
Probably Belgium as well, while visiting the EU-top at the same time.

Merkel and Macron are the decisive national players in this respect.
A visit by a nice little young family is better suited for the purpose than a visit by Harry alone, - unless he marries within the next six months or so and his wife give birth to a three year old almost at once. ;)
And while Charles and Camilla carry more political weight, their public appeal in the rest of Europe is less than that of W&K.
QEII can't be used right now IMO, that's political overkill. The state visits will come after Brexit is final, whatever the outcome is. - The worse the outcome, the sooner the BRF will tour the commonwealth (and as many countries as possible) as well as USA and China with as high ranking members of the BRF as possible.
The better the outcome, the more visits to EU-countries.

I dont see why the children should've stayed home.

They are never too young to join their parents, I don't mind if they took them when they were 3 months old. I mean, the kids are only seen at the airport at arrival and departure. They aren't attending events they are suppose to be, aren't pulling their parents back from doing hat they should while on the the tour.

Good for them to have their kids.

The trip, It's nice to see that it's not a packed trip yet we get tons of pictures and there is a nice balance between daytime events and 2 receptions so far. Cant wait for the next events.

The Duke and Duchess attended a Garden Party at the residence of the British Ambassador in Germany, in Berlin.

PPE Agency

Last edited:
I don't see why they take the kids on the trip, disrupting their routine but I guess they know better. It will even be clear to the Cambridges that those kids will bring tons of positive PR, much more than when leaving them at home.
I don't see much of a balance, somebody brought up the comparison to Estelle who has been eased into everyday events but doesnt go on official trips.
The Cambridges bring their kids on a full glare official visit like this but we hardly see them in the UK, even on small events that would fit with children of their age. Its like 0 to 100% then back to 0 and not, like with Estelle, a lingering 25%.
I don't think its only a character trait to be more outgoing, Charlotte might simply be too young to realize certain things that George does now.

The kids really aren't doing that much. Arrival and departures. In Canada, they did a kids party but George and Charlotte were basically like the other kids going from the various stations with their parents. The closest thing to a real royal type engagement was when George was brought along to the Air Show. He got to sit in the planes but he still had to meet and greet people.

What recent engagements in the U.K. could have William or Kate taken George and or Charlotte to that would not have brought all the attention to G & C instead of the cause that William and Kate were there to promote? The BP garden party for kids who lost their parents? Nope, William with the British Lionesses? Spot light stealing kids.

We know that the kids go and do thinks. There are pap pictures of the petting zoo etc. Ben Affleck told that story on Graham Norton how his kids were at the same London indoor play center as G&C.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will renew their friendly sporting rivalry when they visit the picturesque German city of Heidelberg.

William and Kate will take to the waters of the River Neckar in opposing rowing boats - with female rowers from Cambridge and Heidelberg - for a race.

The two cities are twinned and the oars-women will be coxed by their royal guests.

The Duke and Duchess, who are on a three-day tour of Germany with Prince George and Princess Charlotte, began their day in the university city by visiting the German Cancer Research Centre.

Read more: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge make pretzels on visit to Heidelberg market

They are very charming together and people pick up on that and enjoy seeing them.

LaRae

I don't see why they take the kids on the trip, disrupting their routine but I guess they know better. It will even be clear to the Cambridges that those kids will bring tons of positive PR, much more than when leaving them at home.
I don't see much of a balance, somebody brought up the comparison to Estelle who has been eased into everyday events but doesnt go on official trips.
The Cambridges bring their kids on a full glare official visit like this but we hardly see them in the UK, even on small events that would fit with children of their age. Its like 0 to 100% then back to 0 and not, like with Estelle, a lingering 25%.
I don't think its only a character trait to be more outgoing, Charlotte might simply be too young to realize certain things that George does now.[/QUOTE
Yes, I agree with your assessment. George is only almost four! Reminds me of our first son at that age. For the whole summer when he was four, he would not go in our pool, afraid of it. When we had his high school graduation party at our pool, 14 years later, he dove in with all his clothes on to get the party going!
Give George a chance!

The one major thing that strikes me about the Cambridges going on a week long tour and taking the kids with them is that it shows that they are very much keeping a balance between family and duty. I think it will be something that we will see a lot of during the coming years.

well, as soon as the kids are in school I doubt we will see them on any tour, there will be a lot more critizism.

Once the kids are all in school, the parents will have more freedom to schedule things in their appointment books but I imagine that they'd be wanting to be at home at night with the kids. Maybe more tours scheduled for when the kids have breaks from school will happen? I dunno. At least the kids will have a general idea what happens on these tours should they remain at home with Nanny Maria.

We'll just have to wait and see how things develop.

TRH The Duke and Duchess stop to take photos with local children in Heidelberg.

Back
Top Bottom