Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^
Why in the name of all that is holy would you want to saddle the child with that as a first name?

I was just joking..

You might have been, but there have been a lot of people who think that Diana is the way they should go. My reaction is always pretty much exactly what NGaltizine said - I agree with the idea of honouring William's mother/family in general in the name, but I don't think it would be fair to his daughter (if it is a daughter) to saddle her with such a loaded name.

It's much like when Edward VII chose to drop his first name, Albert, so as to avoid comparison to his late father, Prince Albert. The difference here is that Edward VII had the choice of whether or not to be saddled with such a name, where as William's child does not.

Sir Elton is sitting at his piano as we speak, composing a ballad suitable for the child's christening. I hear everyone at People Magazine will get a 10% raise if the child is named Diana.

Not to forget that the national anthem will be changed into "God save Diana" sung by Cher and Nikki Minaj with the support of Justin Bieber and later at the christening schamanist dancings are performed by the royal guests to invite prosperity and fertility into the baby´s life :D
Than it is going to be circumsiced after Jewish rites while a Muslim prayer is said to strengthen the inter-religious relations and pacify the Arab world so that no terrorist will try to destroy anything in London or take the life of innocent Brits....

Long live the Queen & healthy humour to all the people involved in the business called the Royal Family of Great Britain aka the Windsors!

William will decide how he feels comfortable honoring his late mother, and whatever he decides will be fine. If Diana is the first name, people will get over it. If Diana is not a part of the name at all, people will also get over it.

I'm actually with Kate now- I'm hoping for a boy so they can avoid the whole issue. People wouldn't make nearly as big a deal about it if the name was used for a second child rather than William's heir.

William will decide how he feels comfortable honoring his late mother, and whatever he decides will be fine. If Diana is the first name, people will get over it. If Diana is not a part of the name at all, people will also get over it.

I'm actually with Kate now- I'm hoping for a boy so they can avoid the whole issue. People wouldn't make nearly as big a deal about it if the name was used for a second child rather than William's heir.

That´s right- a boy would solve all the problems and make it much easier for Catherine to chose a suitable name!
If the second child is a girl named Diana the press would not pick it up that much,but a Queen Diana in spe would certainly have a very very hard time:ermm:

Not to forget that the national anthem will be changed into "God save Diana" sung by Cher and Nikki Minaj with the support of Justin Bieber and later at the christening schamanist dancings are performed by the royal guests to invite prosperity and fertility into the baby´s life :D
Than it is going to be circumsiced after Jewish rites while a Muslim prayer is said to strengthen the inter-religious relations and pacify the Arab world so that no terrorist will try to destroy anything in London or take the life of innocent Brits....

Long live the Queen & healthy humour to all the people involved in the business called the Royal Family of Great Britain aka the Windsors!

This gave me a much-needed laugh :D :ROFLMAO: :lol:.

This gave me a laugh until I realized one thing...

I do hope that if they follow this, either they go with Diana as a name or the circumcision, but not both. I highly doubt Princess Diana wishes to be circumcised, and Prince Diana is definitely going to be bullied for that name, regardless of the state of his foreskin.

How did I miss this gem?

What food will they serve at the christening/shamanist dance/bris/Muslim prayer? I know a place where they can get some very nice bagels.

This gave me a laugh until I realized one thing...

I do hope that if they follow this, either they go with Diana as a name or the circumcision, but not both. I highly doubt Princess Diana wishes to be circumcised, and Prince Diana is definitely going to be bullied for that name, regardless of the state of his foreskin.

OK, I'm just not going there.....:whistling:

Hahaha, Thanks for the laugh, I just hope the baby is healthy and happy no matter whether I like the name or not. Most of the royal baby names would not have been my first choice but after 6 months I couldn't imagine the children named anything else. :D

I hope they figure out a way to surprise us with the name, like Victoria did with Estelle. Something that's got some history to it but that isn't an obvious choice.

Victoria looked back across the family and revisited a name that had not been used in a while - and a name that sounded regal: Queen Estelle. That sounds wonderful.

William and Catherine are traditional in their outlook in my opinion.

Boys names could include:
BOLD favourites for 1st name

George - for HMQ father and regal name (poss 1st name), patron saint
Peter - for Catherine's grandfather
James - Regal name and Catherine's brother
Charles - Grandfather to child and regal name (poss 1st name)
Henry/Harry - Uncle (and godfather), friends inc the van Straubenzee who died in an accident, regal name
Philip - G-Grandfather, and indirectly, aunt
Albert - tradition
Arthur - tradition
Michael - grandfather
Francis - nod to Michael Middleton, previous Middleton ancesters and Diana
Andrew - School for Catherine and university for them both plus Scotland.
David - not sure about King David of GB and IReland.

Girls Names
BOLD favourites for 1st name

Charlotte - G/father; G/mother; regal consort name and unique as a regnal name
Rose - G/mother (Englands Rose); GGMother (Rosemary); stepmother (Camilla's 2nd name); a Rose for England
[please note sticking by my favourites :whistling:]
Mary - regal name
Alice - GGGmother - nod to Philip
Elizabeth - GGmother, regnal name and ancester of Catherine
Frances - nod to Michael Middleton, previous Middleton ancesters and Diana
Amelia - Middleton ancester
Phillipa - sister and Prince Philip
Eleanor - because I like it and its regal
Victoria - grudgingly cos its Beckhams
Alexandra - regal

I hope they figure out a way to surprise us with the name, like Victoria did with Estelle. Something that's got some history to it but that isn't an obvious choice.

so long as it isn't Kill-I-am or some other made up name, I'll go with it.

If Diana's the baby's second name, she can choose later whether to use her first name or her second, just as Edward VII did. I would prefer Frances to Diana, to honor William's mother, as it is a traditional Christian name rather than a name from a Roman goddess.
Remember these people are Church of England members, not Temple of Jupiter worshippers. At least that's where they have all their ceremonies (C of E) including baptism by the Archbishop of Canterbury or whatever Arch they select.

The problem that I can see with Charlotte, especially Charlotte Diana, is that that's the given name of Charles Spencer's daughter, born last July. While it might not make things too confusing for the general public, it might for the family, especially if William is still somewhat close with his mother's family.

If Diana's the baby's second name, she can choose later whether to use her first name or her second, just as Edward VII did. I would prefer Frances to Diana, to honor William's mother, as it is a traditional Christian name rather than a name from a Roman goddess.
Remember these people are Church of England members, not Temple of Jupiter worshippers. At least that's where they have all their ceremonies (C of E) including baptism by the Archbishop of Canterbury or whatever Arch they select.

I honestly don't think most people care about how the name relates to religious history. I think Frances is fine as a middle name but I hate it for a first name.

Too bad Anne is in use. It's regal, plus Anne of Green Gables is one of Kate's favorite book characters.

Maybe Prince Charles will come through with a unique and beautiful idea. He did after all come up with "Zara".

I honestly don't think most people care about how the name relates to religious history. I think Frances is fine as a middle name but I hate it for a first name.

Too bad Anne is in use. It's regal, plus Anne of Green Gables is one of Kate's favorite book characters.

Maybe Prince Charles will come through with a unique and beautiful idea. He did after all come up with "Zara".

I doubt we will see anything as untraditional as Zara for a future king/queen.

I agree though that the fact Diana is a name of a roman goddess, will play no role. Many names have roots in other religions, or cultures. One could argue Francis would be out, as it is too close a link to the Roman catholic church considering the new pope. Elizabeth has deep roots in the Jewish culture. Victoria comes from the Roman goddess of victory. Camilla comes from the Aeneid.

Alexandrina is also a very regal name, honors Queen Victoria and Queen Alexandra, plus its a name that will be only for the child and that way doesn't need to grow up with expectations with that of the ancestors.

I agree with you,Diana as second name would be lovely and I am sad the name is loaded with so much emotional baggage because it sounds so charming and would have been great to have a Queen Diana-very special und unique,Diana after the name of the ancient goddess of hunting.
The greek mythology refers to Diana/hunting goddess as "Artemis"-would be lovely and a reference to P.Diana while being less obvious and special as well.(But I think thats too unconventional for the Cambridges,they rather chose traditional names-but who knows?)
Frances is also cute & sounds similiar to Pope Francis I name,however I would rather like to see it as a second name because it can be easily mis-pronounced. Having a special family name that always gets written/pronounced wrong I don´t wish the child a name that is difficult to pronounce.

What would be special and also similiar to Elizabeth would be "Eliza", a pretty name that is short,easy to pronounce and a little bit off the beaten track while not too unconventional for a royal baby/heir .

Last edited:
Princess Frances Artemis Regina Caroline Elizabeth

or

Princess Frances Artemis Regina Tracey

Elizabeth is a Hebrew name, but the Queen is not Jewish.....so I don't see what the family's religious affiliation has to do with the name(s) they might choose for their child. Also, how is Frances a traditional "Christian" name? Frances is a Latin name, dating back to the time of the Roman Empire, and not many people equate Christianity with the Roman Empire. Holy Roman Empire maybe, but the name predates that.

:previous: A good rule of thumb regarding "Christian" names is if a "St." at one time was in front of it, or if it was found in the New Testament. St. Francis. Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist, etc. If the pope is named "Francis" methinks it is safely considered a Christian name. :lol:

I personally don't care if the name is "Christian" or not, but traditional names within the BRF tend to be "Christian."

Elizabeth is a Hebrew name, but the Queen is not Jewish.....so I don't see what the family's religious affiliation has to do with the name(s) they might choose for their child. Also, how is Frances a traditional "Christian" name? Frances is a Latin name, dating back to the time of the Roman Empire, and not many people equate Christianity with the Roman Empire. Holy Roman Empire maybe, but the name predates that.

Hebrew and Judaism are not necessarily synonymous. The name Francis seems to have originated with St. Francis of Assisi, and Frances is a derivation of that, so I'd consider that a traditional Christian name. (As for Christianity and the Roman Empire - I think many people do associate the two, due to Constantine's adoption of Christianity, and the subsequent spread of the religion. Maybe that's just me.)

That said, I personally don't care if the child's name has Christian "credentials".

I would be OK with another Princess Diana, just as I'm OK with Princess Athena. And I realize that even in the New Testament of the Bible, there were some Greek names which then became "Christian" names, such as Lydia, Chloe, Rhoda, Silvanus, and others. So I stand corrected. It is appropriate to baptize a baby with a non Judeo-Christian name. Just not what I would choose.

Hebrew and Judaism are not necessarily synonymous. The name Francis seems to have originated with St. Francis of Assisi, and Frances is a derivation of that, so I'd consider that a traditional Christian name.

Just because a Christian saint used the name doesn't mean it's necessarily a traditional Christian name. Many people consider Elizabeth and Mary to be traditional Christian names, but they're not, and there are several saints bearing those names (or derivations of it). As for Hebrew and Judaism not being synonymous, Hebrew is the language of the Jewish faith. I think it's rather obvious what I meant, and it wasn't that Hebrew and Judaism are one in the same. Elizabeth IS a traditional Hebrew name, but the Queen has no connections to Judaism or Jewish people or Hebrew culture whatsoever.....therefore the origins of the name have no bearing on what faith HM professes.

:previous:I don't care if it is "Christian" or not either and I am really sorry:whistling:but I dont want another Elizabeth as a first name. They will hopefully have a boy so all of my whining is mute any ways but I am feeling a girl. :ROFLMAO: Like I have ever gotten anything right about royal babies.
I still really like Amelia Elizabeth Caroline Francis

Naming the baby Elizabeth would be a beautiful tribute to Her Majesty the Queen, especially after the Diamond Jubilee, and the Duke of Cambridge is Her closest grandchildren.

Also, this year is the 60th Anniversary of Her Majesty's Coronation, and would be wonderful to know that there's a Queen Elizabeth III on hold.

I will be in middle 90's when this baby ascends to the Throne. I was born during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, and I would like to die during the reign of Queen Elizabeth III.

Just because a Christian saint used the name doesn't mean it's necessarily a traditional Christian name. Many people consider Elizabeth and Mary to be traditional Christian names, but they're not, and there are several saints bearing those names (or derivations of it). As for Hebrew and Judaism not being synonymous, Hebrew is the language of the Jewish faith. I think it's rather obvious what I meant, and it wasn't that Hebrew and Judaism are one in the same. Elizabeth IS a traditional Hebrew name, but the Queen has no connections to Judaism or Jewish people or Hebrew culture whatsoever.....therefore the origins of the name have no bearing on what faith HM professes.

Yes, Hebrew is the language of the Jewish faith, but the Christian faith obviously grew out of the Jewish faith, and incorporated many Hebrew scriptures, etc. (see: the Old Testament; it is also believed that the Gospel of Matthew was originally written in Hebrew). Elizabeth is a name used in both the Old and New Testaments (most notably, it is the name of the mother of John the Baptist). If the Bible has no bearing on what faith HM professes, then I'd be quite surprised, and certainly very confused. (I'm not saying Elizabeth isn't also a traditional Jewish name, but being traditionally Jewish and traditionally Christian are not mutually exclusive).

Also, as for something like Francis, if a name originated with a saint, and was popularized by them, then, in my eyes at least, it becomes traditionally associated with the Christian faith. Even if a name as other origins, but becomes associated over the centuries with a saint, and if people name their children after that saint as a part of their faith, I would consider it traditionally Christian. But obviously we all have our own parameters for what qualifies as traditional, I suppose.

As for William and Kate's child, my main interest is what family connections the name will have. My personal favorites for a first name for a girl would be Elizabeth, Alice, Victoria, or Alexandra, but I like most of the traditional female names from within the royal family. I know less about the male names, and it seems like so many of them are currently in use, so that could be tricky. I feel they'll go with something traditional, I just wonder quite how old-school they'll go, or how distinctive it will be.

My top choice for a girl is Charlotte and top choice for a boy is Alexander.

My top choice for a girl is Charlotte and top choice for a boy is Alexander.

Those are my favorites, too, on both counts. Upthread I suggested Philip Alexander, but either way, I think both Charlotte and Alexander have the right combinations of being traditional, not recently used, and able to honor various family members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom