Baby Cambridge: Potential Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is getting crazy. You can't put the alleged sins of a parent on to a child. With that messed up logic, Kate should have never bothered with William because both his parents were adulterers so therefore he will be too.

Maybe we should let the Cambridge's do the deciding and God do the judging. None of the rest of us are qualified.

Last edited:
I'm still pretty certain that either Peter or Zara Phillips will make an appearance among the godparents, I think they are much more likely than Sophie (perhaps not more likely than Sarah, but definitely up there). Along with Harry, Pippa and quite possibly a van Cutsem, one of Catherine's friends and one of the Greeks.

Since they are traditionalists I do think they will stick to having 6 godparents and will choose people who are close to them.

My predictions:

Zara
Lady Sarah McQuordale
Lady Tamara Van Cutsem
Tom Van Straubenzee
Prince Harry
James Middleton

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choices; only disagree with James Middleton. I was thinking James Lowther Pinkerton. they like him very much, and an older male is missing from the list which I think would create a good balance.

Good choices; only disagree with James Middleton. I was thinking James Lowther Pinkerton. they like him very much, and an older male is missing from the list which I think would create a good balance.

True, but I think Kate will want a family member.
And since Pippa was already in the wedding, I think they'll choose James. JMO.

How about the Queen(OEII)?
Queen Victoria was godmother to many of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I don't think William, or really anyone, has a duty or responsibility to make clear to the world what kind of marriage they have.

William and Katherine's marriage is THEIR marriage. and really none of our business.

I would not be surprised if we saw less of the Cambridges rather than more.

I have a question are the godparents going to be announced before or after the baptism...I was just starting to wonder about that. B/C I know we'll get footage but this is done privately...

Usually we do not know who the godparents are until after the christening. We usually get their names at the same time as we get a photo or two released by the palace. Unlike other royal families to BRF regard christenings as pretty much a private family event.

I think if Harry is one of the godparents its probably going to be in early oct...because he has all the training stuff for the rest of the year.

I wonder is the Duke of Cambridge going to be trendy or do some more traditional selections?
I wonder what's the chance that David Beckham will be a godparent?

The recent incidence of sanctimonious moralising and pontificating, being somewhat alien to the spirit of these Forums, has been removed, along with the replies to those posts.

Warren
British Forums moderator

I think we can rule out Sophie as a godparent as she has engagements on the 23rd.

I think we can rule out Sophie as a godparent as she has engagements on the 23rd.

No you don't as you don't have to attend the ceremony to be a godparent. There have been a number of absentees in the past, and someone normally "stands in" for them on the day. It's a life time role, not just at the ceremony.

But I still dont think she will be one.

EDIT: - the same would apply to Harry re unable to attend

I genuinely don't think anyone who has been chosen as George's godparent wont attend though. I reckon they would MAKE sure they can attend simply because of the media and news this will receive simply because who it is!

I did think Sophie was a good option, as have others, but now she is working I can't see her being selected. I can see his other aunt Lady Sarah being chosen now.

My final guess before we find out are:

if they choose 6:

harry
tvs
james meade

pippa
lady sarah mc?(diana's sister)
Emilia jardine-patterson

if 7...i would add hugh van cutsem.

But, they like to surprise people...I wouldn't be shocked if we get 2 or 4 and not what everyone else expects as the amount of godparents.

I bet Prince Harry is a safe bet, but what about Alicia Fox-Pitt ? She is Catherine's best friend.

I've never even heard of Alicia Fox-Pitt, let alone she's Catherine's best friend?

Alicia Fox-Pitt went to Marlbourgh with Kate and was part of the sisterhood rowing crew. Her brother William was on the Olympic eventing team with Zara. She just got married. I don't know if she is Kate's bf. I would think Trina Foyle or Emilia Jardine Paterson who were at Kate's birthday Cirque de Soile trip before Alicia not counting Pippa.

Obviously they have many close friends and relatives. I tend to think that one or both of Catherine's parents will be a godparent and that they will ask the Queen, Prince Philip, or Prince Charles. I hope they will ask one of Diana's sisters. Regarding friends, I wonder if they would ask Tiggy Legg-Bourke.

Obviously they have many close friends and relatives. I tend to think that one or both of Catherine's parents will be a godparent and that they will ask the Queen, Prince Philip, or Prince Charles. I hope they will ask one of Diana's sisters. Regarding friends, I wonder if they would ask Tiggy Legg-Bourke.

I think so - William and Harry are godparents to her boys and her son was a page boy at the Cambridge wedding. Surname now Pettifer.

I think another option might be Jamie Lowther Pinkerton.

There are so many options! But I am thinking no siblings.

I think so - William and Harry are godparents to her boys and her son was a page boy at the Cambridge wedding. Surname now Pettifer.

I think another option might be Jamie Lowther Pinkerton.

There are so many options! But I am thinking no siblings.

Thanks for Tiggy's last name, I can never thing of it. I also suspect they won't ask Harry, Pippa or James. It's not a question of not being close, but just trying to find the right combination.

If I were them, I would choose only senior royals, one of Diana's sisters, and Catherine's parents, just to avoid hurting feelings. Their friends would understand being passed over for the Queen and Prince Philip. It would be harder to face friends who were passed over in favor of other good friends.

Last edited:
I would think Jamie before Tiggy because he is more known to Kate than Tiggy is. I don't think they would name the queen, Philip, Charles , Mike or Carole as godparents. There is so many younger people that they can choose from.

I think if Harry is chosen, Pippa is also. There seems to be plethora of guys who could be picked it will be hard to pick just 3 if they go 3 guys 3 ladies. Zara perhaps for one of lady slots?

It always seems to me absolutely pointless to ask relatives [Grandparents/uncles/aunts & siblings] to be Godparents since they 'will be there' for the child whatever happens. Much better to include friends or mentors who may have attributes,interests or talents otherwise missing from the milieu of the immediate family circle.. As Sir Laurens van der Post was to Prince William ?

I don't know why but today I started to think about Rowan Williams as potential godfather. He is absolutely appropriate and close with royal family.

Van der Post however died when William was 14 so I don't know how much of a mentor he was to William . That seemed like a pick more for Charles than William.

Picking a cousin like Zara, Peter, David Linley or Sarah Chatto is a good way to honor the family without picking an immediate family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom