King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 13

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well Im assuming co-ed means that both boys and girls can attend but ofcourse there will be a level of segregation as there is in institutions even in the west, especially in the living spaces. My residence during first year of university was completely co-ed, but even there they had an all-girls floor.
Co-ed classrooms arent such a big deal, particularly in an elite institution of this sort. There will always be parents who are willing to send their children to such facilities. You have to remember that many of them already send their kids to such institutions in the west. Now they'll have such a place in Jordan.

Last edited:
Their Majesties receive Milan mayor

Their Majesties King Abdullah and Queen Rania receive Mayor of Milan Gabriele Albertini on Monday. The Italian official briefed Their Majesties on Milan Municipality's expertise in planning and administering cities, noting the possibility that Jordan could benefit from Italian expertise in this regard. A delegation headed by Albertini arrived in the Kingdom on Sunday, to sign a cooperation agreement between the Greater Amman Municipality and Milan Municipality. Jordan Times

Picture from Petra

Little_star said:
More than 1,200 delegates from 75 countries will gather in Abu Dhabi from 12-14 March for the second international students' leadership conference titled Women as Global Leaders. Speakers include Jordan's Queen Rania, former Irish president Mary Robinson, UK barrister Cherie Booth, and UAE Minister of Economy Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi.
http://www.ameinfo.com/79208.html

a detailed program of this conference can be found here:
http://www.zu.ac.ae/leadership2006/program.aspx

Queen Rania will be speaking on March 12.

Thank you everyone for all the pictures of both Rania and Abdullah's visits. It's great to see Rania concentrating on child welfare issues.

I really like the cream outfit, I tried on a suit just like that this weekend. Rania looks great.

Last edited:
Rania, a luxurious 86-foot GulfCraft Majesty speed yacht from the Maldives with its own private island, will return to its Dubai roots and make its Middle East debut at this year’s Arabian Travel Market (ATM), the region’s premier travel and tourism exhibition.

Originally acquired from a Dubai Sheikh and named after Queen Rania of Jordan and the word ‘rani’, which means queen in the Dhivehi language of the Maldives, this elite yacht is the only one of its kind in the Indian Ocean vacation paradise.
http://www.strategiy.com/airlinenew.asp?id=20060307060814

King meets citizens from bani Abbad and Hamedeh clans</STRONG>
Pet1025 4 0418 King meets citizens from bani Abbad and Hamedeh clans Amman, March 5(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Sunday affirmed the unemployed young people have to join the vocational training programs the Jordanian labor market is in need for them. King's remarks made during a meeting with citizens from bani Abbad and Hamedeh clans at the Royal Court today. King Abdullah stressed on the importance to benefit from experience of retired civilian and military people in kingdom's governorates to set up mechanisms to help enhance government programs to curb unemployment and poverty, and specify the projects that their governorates are in need for such projects. It's unaccepted for all to study humanitarian or scientific specialty that is not needed and the labor market needs trained vocations, King Abdullah reiterated. The king raised the initiatives and programs to train the youth on vocations are needed locally and regionally. "We aware the size of unemployment and poverty, the meeting aims at setting up joint mechanisms and vision to halt the problems and other issues the youth is suffering from," King Abdullah affirmed. The government is forging ahead in address the unemployment and poverty, Prime Minister stressed, adding that His Majesty King Abdullah has instructed to hasten the implementation of houses for poor. The council of ministers is due to form national council for social solidarity. The meeting was attended by Premier Marouf Bakhit, the Royal Court Chief Salem Turk, King's Advisor for Tribal Affairs Sherif Fawaz Zaben Abdullah, and Minister of Justice Abd Shakhanbeh. Wardat/Petra 051905 Local MAR 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Mar/05/31172700.htm

I know that this article should be in the thread relaing to the Amman Bombings but when I looked through the old threads I couldn't find it so I hope the Moderators don't mind me posting it here.

On 9 November 2005, two Iraqi suicide bombers entered a hotel in Amman and attacked the wedding of a young Jordanian couple, killing 27 guests. In a BBC Radio 4 documentary, Nadia al-Alami and Ashraf al-Akhra talk about the traumatic events of that night and how their marriage has since found strength in adversity.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4766726.stm

King Receives Archbishop of Washington

King Receives Archbishop of Washington King Receives Archbishop of Washington Amman, March 7 (Petra) – His Majesty King Abdullah II on Tuesday received Archbishop of Washington Theodore McCarrick. His Majesty outlined efforts exerted by Jordan to clarify the true image of Islam and its tolerant message, enhance co-existence, launch dialogue among followers of the three heavenly religions, with a view to glorify common values, serve human issues and achieve international stability. Archbishop of Washington hailed, during the meeting which was attended by King's Private Advisor and Special Envoy HRH Prince Mohammad Ben Ghazi and Director of King Abdullah's Office Farouq Qasrawi, efforts of His Majesty King Abdullah to enhance peace in the region and build bridges of understanding and cooperation amongst followers of the different heavenly religions. The US official also paid tributes to the content of Amman message, which he considered a great effort that forms the bases for continuity and understanding among followers of the different religions. //Petra// Shniqat
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Mar/07/552186200.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
King Receives Iraqi Foreign Minister

King Receives Iraqi Foreign Minister King Receives Iraqi Foreign Minister Amman, March 7 (Petra)—His Majesty King Abdullah II expressed Jordan's concern about the latest developments in Iraq, calling on all Iraqi people to stand together against the dissension and the sectarianism. During a meeting with Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshiar Zibari on Tuesday, King Abdullah said that all Iraqi parties must work together to avoid a sectarian fight. In the presence of Director of King's Office Farouq Qasawi and Foreign Minister Abdul Elah Khatib, The King called on all Iraqi parties to form a national government as soon as possible, affirming Jordan's keenness to continue support the brethren Iraq. In this respect, King Abdullah pointed that Jordan seeks, in coordination with the Arab League, to hold a conference for the Iraqi religious leaderships to find out the best ways that guarantee the solidarity of Iraq and its stability. Zibari, for his part, praised His Majesty's stands by Iraq, adding that His Majesty is representing the voice of logic and rationality in the region. He also expressed appreciation for the King over his supporting efforts to the Iraqi people which were embodied recently by his strong condemnation over attacking the Shrine of Imam Ali Al Hadi. Zebari briefed the King on the efforts being exerted by all Iraqi parties to form the new government. //Petra// Ashkar
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Mar/07/552183200.htm

King Swears In Ambassador Bouran

King Swears In Ambassador Bouran King Swears In Ambassador Bouran For Newspapers Use Only………. Amman, March 7 (Petra) – His Majesty King Abdullah II on Tuesday accepted the oath of office of Aliaa Bouran on the occasion of appointing her as Ambassador to the United Kingdome. Present at the ceremony were Director of His Majesty King Abdullah's office Farouq Qasrawi and Foreign Minister Abdul Ilah Khatib. //Petra// Shniqat
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Mar/07/552177700.htm

From her website:

Tuesday, March 7, 2006
Queen Rania Scholarship for Women Business Leaders

Institute de Empresa Business School, Spain, launches ‘The Queen Rania Scholarship for Women Business Leaders'

(Office of Her Majesty, Press Department - Amman) The Instituto de Empresa Foundation announced on Tuesday the launch of 'The Queen Rania Scholarship for Women Business Leaders' for a total period of five years.

The scholarship is aimed at helping up and coming women business leaders, with great potential, to gain a competitive edge in the business industry.

The Instituto de Empresa Foundation will award two annual scholarships for Jordanian women interested in studying International MBA, International Executive MBA, Global Communities MBA, Advanced Management Program, or Global Senior Management Program (GSMP) at the Instituto de Empresa Business School. The first two scholarships will be granted for the scholastic year 2006- 2007.

Applicants will have a choice between two programs: those targeting junior business professionals or senior business professionals. Junior business professionals represent directors, entrepreneurs, and high achievers with the knowledge and practical management tools in leading organizations. Senior business professionals include those who are managers with a very high potential, and have been identified by their respective organizations as future leaders, as well as senior managers and directors, managing directors, unit directors and vice presidents.

Each scholarship will cover 85 percent of the total cost of the course, with students paying the remaining 15 percent of the cost of the MBA program. The closing date for applications is June 1, 2006.

Applicants must meet the admission requirements of Instituto de Empresa, including a university degree. They must also have professional experience. The IE Foundation will choose six candidates from the list of applicants, and a Jordanian Selection Committee will select the final two scholarship recipients.

Instituto de Empresa Business School is a leading business school that trains entrepreneurs and corporate managers through its Master’s degrees and Executive Education programs. Instituto de Empresa is characterized by its markedly global approach, its spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation, its applied research projects and the promotion of socially responsible initiatives.

Instituto de Empresa Business School has an alumni network that currently comprises some 30,000 IE graduates that hold management positions in 85 countries. For further information: http://www.ie.edu.

For further information about this scholarship program, please contact the Admissions Department at Instituto de Empresa Business School (Tel. +34 91 568 96 10. e-mail: admissions@ie.edu).

Thank you for information on the scholarship, asturiana.

Pakistan's PM to visit Jordan from Tomorrow
'Pakistan Times' Federal Bureau

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz will pay an official visit to Jordan on March 8-9, a Foreign Office spokesperson said on Tuesday.

The Prime Minister who is currently in the United Kingdom will visit Jordan at the invitation of his Jordanian counterpart

http://pakistantimes.net/top3080601.htm

I was wondering when Pakistani officials would be visiting Jordan.

Thanx for all the pix and info. Talking of Jordans economy i understand that QR used to work for a while in IT? I read that she wants to develop that in Jordan and this is why she attends so many economic forums.

About the oil i read in a book called 'Nine Parts of Desire' that Jordan underwent an minor oil boom in the 80's, but it didn't last for very long. I'm currently reading a book on the history of the ME and oil was discovered in Iran, Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia in the 30's but i don't think in Jordan.

If any info i have given is incorrect please feel free to correct me. Only going on the little i've read.

you're right amina, jordan has never had any oil...the minor oil boom you are speaking of is probably from the petro-dollars from saudi, iraq, etc entering jordan's economy.

Jordan has never had any oil...and Rania never worked or was an IT,she has a bachelor in business administration,and had a minor experience of one year in banking administration,nothing to have with engineering or IT...

Last edited:
Monalisa said:
Jordan has never had any oil...and Rania never worked or was an IT,she has a bachelor in business administration,and had a minor experience of one year in banking administration,nothing to have with engineering or IT...

After her graduation in 1991, Queen Rania worked at Citibank before taking a job at Apple Computer in Jordan. She met then prince Abdullah in January 1993 and married in June 1993.

From what I understood she had a minor role in administration at Citibank and worked as a secretary/PA for the Apple dealer in Amman and was only working for between 12 to 18 months maximum between leaving college and marrying Abdullah.

Even people who stay on to do a Masters in Business Administration after their undergrad don't walk into top level jobs with no experience - so it is safe to say that she was at a very junior level along with millions of other recent undergrads.

Veram98 said:
After her graduation in 1991, Queen Rania worked at Citibank before taking a job at Apple Computer in Jordan. She met then prince Abdullah in January 1993 and married in June 1993.
Her work in both citibank and apple was about administration/secretary,nothing to have with engineering or being an IT,as her graduation(a bachleor) and very short experience in work(1-1.5year) don't allow her to...,so that's what I was saying to amina,she was never and IT or engineer,and she never worked as that....,as she was asking if Rania had worked for a long time as an IT.

Last edited:
Monalisa said:
Her work in both citibank and apple was about administration/secretary,nothing to have with engineering or being an IT,as her graduation(a bachleor) and very short experience in work(1-1.5year) don't allow her to...,so that's what I was saying to amina,she was never and IT or engineer,or she never worked as that....

Exactly MonaLisa and we all know that royal CV's get 'buffed' up :D QR isn't the only one guilty of this :D

Monalisa said:
Her work in both citibank and apple was about administration/secretary,nothing to have with engineering or being an IT,as her graduation(a bachleor) and very short experience in work(1-1.5year) don't allow her to...,so that's what I was saying to amina,she was never and IT or engineer,and she never worked as that....,as she was asking if Rania had worked for a long time as an IT.

Of course, she didn’t work as an engineer (besides, I didn’t claim that), but I think that her special interest in the incorporation of Information Technology into schools for example, and the development of the IT sector in Jordan may have something to do with the fact that she once worked for a while for Apple Computer.

Veram98 said:
Of course, she didn’t work as an engineer (besides, I didn’t claim that), but I think that her special interest in the incorporation of Information Technology into schools for example, and the development of the IT sector in Jordan may have something to do with the fact that she once worked for a while for Apple Computer.

Also it could be something to do with the fact that Jordan is trying to become computer literate along with a lot of other developing nations - it seems to be high on the priority list of many countries without an industrial/natural resources base and having to look for alternative types of industry.

lizz70 said:
Also it could be something to do with the fact that Jordan is trying to become computer literate along with a lot of other developing nations - it seems to be high on the priority list of many countries without an industrial/natural resources base and having to look for alternative types of industry.

I agree, especially as it is also high on the priority list of the king himself.

Maybe it’s both

Last edited:
Veram98 said:
I agree, especially as it is also high on the priority list of the king himself.

Maybe it’s both[/quote

They are up against a lot of competition though and that is a problem as places like India for example are already very well established, Dubai and now Doha are IT hubs for the ME so it will be tough.

That is my question tooooo. Who is Aliaa Bouran. Never heard of her till just now......

Claudia Lisa Remy said:
That is my question tooooo. Who is Aliaa Bouran. Never heard of her till just now......

Former Jordan’s ambassador to Belgium, former minister of Tourism, now ambassador to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom