King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 13

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil and the future of where the US will be getting it is a HUGE isssue here in the US. In many of the midwest states, legislation is passing at lightning speed to improve/make more available alternative fuel sources--derivatives from various plant products. It's still going to be a long evolution though. For some reason, even though they saw them developing, politicians perhaps didn't adequately plan for the oil needs of countries like China.

Forgive the ignorance but does Jordan simply not have any oil whatsoever? As other ME countries have so much, I've wondered why that is or if it does but just hasn't tapped its potential?:confused:

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Jordan may not have the buffers, but I doubt Jordanians feel that their country is dispensible. You dont see many Jordanians on this board making such statements. Just because they're not wealthy doesnt mean they dont have pride their nation. Lots of countries have been in worse shape and pulled through. So have Jordanian monarchs like King Hussein.
And like i said, oil isn't much of a buffer for the SA or the other oil-rich arab states because even these countries are realizing that its not going to last nearly as long, hence the efforts to modernize and develop in places like the Gulf.
The importance of oil from these nations is exaggerated. The US is increasingly leaning towards looking to other sources, and countries. US politicians already have their eyes on the vast oil fields in Alberta, Canada.

Very true; technology has changed things considerably. King Hussein also had that undefinable quality, "charisma," which he employed to great effect. Even those who complained "he did not just straddle the fence; he was the fence," still admitted to succumbing to his charm. People who interacted with him said he was capable of lighting up an entire room with his personality and infectious smile and humor. It would be hard for anyone to follow in his footsteps; I think KA tries but somehow--apart from the family shots--he often seems so stern and a bit distant IMO. But I also have to keep in mind he was plunged into this after 30 years of assuming he'd be a prince and a member of the army, not the King. And, yes, thanks to the incessant press and internet, images of him are broadcasted within minutes worldwide. This was not the case with King Hussein. I think there was a bit more control in terms of being able to moderate one's image.

lizz70 said:
King Hussein did pull through, you are right Humera but the world was a different place back then. People weren't so politicized, no internet etc to disseminate a lot of info and let's face it Sidi was respected, which many people do not feel the same towards his son.

maryshawn said:
Very true; technology has changed things considerably. King Hussein also had that undefinable quality, "charisma," which he employed to great effect. Even those who complained "he did not just straddle the fence; he was the fence," still admitted to succumbing to his charm. People who interacted with him said he was capable of lighting up an entire room with his personality and infectious smile and humor. It would be hard for anyone to follow in his footsteps; I think KA tries but somehow--apart from the family shots--he often seems so stern and a bit distant IMO. But I also have to keep in mind he was plunged into this after 30 years of assuming he'd be a prince and a member of the army, not the King. And, yes, thanks to the incessant press and internet, images of him are broadcasted within minutes worldwide. This was not the case with King Hussein. I think there was a bit more control in terms of being able to moderate one's image.

I think you are right Maryshawn, KA does try but he just keeps missing the mark. I think ones personality is inherently the same whether one is a soldier or a king - your basic personality doesn't change and I do believe that KA has totally cracked down on the press in Jordan. The measures are somewhat draconian in Jordan with prison sentences handed out for those who make any criticism, the King has made Jordan into a place where he is beyond reproach (publicly anyhow). KA and QR control everything that is written and broadcast about them in Jordan, outside the country they are usually on a charm offensive talking about democracy and individual freedom etc which is lacking for their own people. KA probably has more control over what is said and projected than King Hussein ever did.

King Hassan was recently in India I believe and Princess Sarvath has been busy with the fundraising for the Kashmir Earthquake, as has Prince Rashid.

I suggest you check their thread for the latest on them.

King Receives Assistant of Iranian President</STRONG>
Pet0744 4 0396 King Receives Assistant of Iranian President Amman, Feb. 26 (Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II on Sunday received Assistant of Iranian President and head of the Cultural and Tourist Heritage Organization in Iran Mohammad Mashay who conveyed the regards of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadi Najad and his keenness to enhance the bilateral cooperation. King Abdullah reiterated, during the meeting which was attended by Foreign Minister Abdul Ilah Khatib, that there are many opportunities the two countries can benefit form to enhance their ties, especially in the economic, tourist and cultural domains. The King noted to his visit to Iran three years ago, in which he discussed ways of enhancing the bilateral ties, particularly in the field of encouraging religious tourism. As for situation in Iraq, King Abdullah re-stressed his condemnation for targeting religious shrines and tombs, considering this act as non accepted and insulting for all Muslims. His Majesty noted to the responsibility of Jordan, Iran and Iraq's neighboring countries in supporting the political process in Iraq and efforts exerted by Iraqis to restore security and keep unity of Iraq. For his part, the Iranian official hailed the efforts exerted by Jordan, under the leadership of His Majesty King Abdullah, to achieve solidarity among Islamic countries and serve the issues of Islamic world. He also expressed his country's keenness to establish strong relations with Jordan, especially in the cultural domains and religious tourism. //Petra// Shniqat 261641 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/26/31015700.htm

King Receives Speakers of Lebanese and Yemeni Parliaments</STRONG>
Pet0790 4 0632 King Receives Speakers of Lebanese and Yemeni Parliaments Amman, Feb. 26 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II, during a meeting with Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berry on Sunday, affirmed Jordan's keenness to remain Lebanon strong and united to be a capable of surmounting the hard circumstances. The King stressed that the Lebanese-Syrian discord must be resolved throughout dialogue and understanding to get the relations between the two countries improved for the interest of both nations. His Majesty expressed Jordan's confidence that the international investigation on the assassination of Rafiq Harriri must take its course to prevail the truth, pointing at the importance of continuing the communications between the Jordan and Lebanon to help Lebanon exceed the crisis. For his part, Berry expressed appreciation for His Majesty over his concern about the Lebanese issue and over his keenness to enhance the bilateral relations. In the presence of Speaker of the Parliament Abdul Hadi Majali, Berri briefed the King on the latest developments in Lebanon, stressing the importance of the dialogue between all Lebanese parties to discuss the issues of disagreement. He declared, in this respect, that he has launched an initiative to solve the Lebanese crisis. Berri said that he supports the international investigation committee till the end of its mission, expressing hope that the Lebanese-Syrian issue will not lead to the rupture of relations between the two countries. On the other hand, His Majesty King Abdullah II received Yemeni Speaker of Parliament Abdul Aziz Abdul Ghani and discussed with him means of enhancing bilateral relations in the various fields. During the meeting, His Majesty reviewed the latest developments in the region, stressing the important role of the Arab Parliamentary Union to defend the challenges that face the Nation, defame its identity and religion, and prevent its progress. The King expressed hope that the Arab Summit, which will be held in Sudan next month, will come up with results that serve the Arab joint work. The Yemeni official delivered to the King the best regards of Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh. He praised the prosperity that Jordan had achieved in the various fields, expressing his country's willingness to benefit from the Jordanian experiment. //Petra// Ashkar 261703 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/26/31016900.htm

King Congratulates President of Uganda</STRONG>
Pet0392 4 0131 King Congratulates President of Uganda For Papers Use Only ================== Amman, Feb. 27(Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable on Monday to President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni of the Republic of Uganda congratulating him in his name and on behalf of the Jordanian people and government on the occasion of his Re-election as President of Uganda. King Abdullah wished the President continued good health and happiness and the people of Uganda further progress and prosperity. //Petra// Ashkar 271347 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/27/31035300.htm

King Congratulates President of Dominican</STRONG>
Pet0388 4 0129 King Congratulates President of Dominican For Papers Use Only ================== Amman, Feb. 27(Petra) -- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable on Monday to President Leonel Fernandez Reyna of the Dominican Republic congratulating him in his name and on behalf of the Jordanian people and government on the occasion of his country's National Day. King Abdullah wished the President continued good health and happiness and the people of Dominican further progress and prosperity. //Petra// Ashkar 271346 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/27/31035000.htm

Little_star said:
King Hassan was recently in India I believe and Princess Sarvath has been busy with the fundraising for the Kashmir Earthquake, as has Prince Rashid.

I suggest you check their thread for the latest on them.

Surely you mean Prince Hassan????

maryshawn said:
Oil and the future of where the US will be getting it is a HUGE isssue here in the US. In many of the midwest states, legislation is passing at lightning speed to improve/make more available alternative fuel sources--derivatives from various plant products. It's still going to be a long evolution though. For some reason, even though they saw them developing, politicians perhaps didn't adequately plan for the oil needs of countries like China.

Forgive the ignorance but does Jordan simply not have any oil whatsoever? As other ME countries have so much, I've wondered why that is or if it does but just hasn't tapped its potential?:confused:

Unfortunately, Jordan has very little by way of natural resources, oil or otherwise and great swathes of fertile, arable land were lost in the '67 war, which again put more pressure on what was left of Jordan as refugees came to live there after losing their homes. There has to be some kind of viable job creation scheme in Jordan and although service industries and IT may be the way to go there is such huge competition from Dubai, India and even little Bahrain is joining in.

Thank you for explaining this so well! So Jordan basically has been struggling since 1967 to help refugees and jordanians find gainful employment? What kind of infrastructure in terms of economic development is KA/Jordan looking toward now as the most viable means of attaining economic stability/growth? Did KH begin anything which KA is now continuing? Are there new initiatives in the offing? I know, at one point, KH was hoping aviation would be one important part of the economy or, at least, he wished to make Jordan the hub for aviation training for the ME--but that, according to QN a few years ago on Larry King "remains a dream." And I don't know how many jobs it would have provided anyway. Bill Gates has visited Jordan and I believe is friendly with KA yet stated recently he would be looking to India for IT development--effectively bypassing even the US as he said there was simply a greater workforce supply and the desire on the part of the government/people to work in IT. Is he considering any ventures with KA and within Jordan? Again, I'd read they had a very good relationship so one would think Mr. Gates would be a logical person to partner with.

lizz70 said:
Unfortunately, Jordan has very little by way of natural resources, oil or otherwise and great swathes of fertile, arable land were lost in the '67 war, which again put more pressure on what was left of Jordan as refugees came to live there after losing their homes. There has to be some kind of viable job creation scheme in Jordan and although service industries and IT may be the way to go there is such huge competition from Dubai, India and even little Bahrain is joining in.

Institutionalizing Al Aman Fund for the Future of Orphans</STRONG>
Pet0882 4 0688 Institutionalizing Al Aman Fund for the Future of Orphans Amman, Feb. 26 (Petra) -- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah on Sunday headed the meeting of the Board of Trustees for Al Aman Fund in Amman. The Fund was launched by Queen Rania in 2003 to provide orphans who have graduated from orphan care-centers with support that enables them to become active and productive members of society. The Board of Trustees reviewed the achievements of the Fund since its inception, including the scholarships awarded to 17 orphans from care-centers, all whom are currently enrolled in Jordanian universities. The Fund is currently paying tuition and a stipend to cover living expenses, transportation, and school fees to ease the burdens on these students. During the meeting, Her Majesty focused on the importance of creating a comprehensive plan to introduce the concept of foster families, a model that currently exists in several orphanages in Jordan and around the world. Queen Rania said that the Ministry of Social Development is actively following up on social issues throughout the Kingdom and should play a key role in the supervision, evaluation and follow-up of the various institutions and initiatives in orphan care. Her Majesty stressed the importance of involving the Fund with other development organizations to help with vocational training, schooling, and providing work for the orphans. She stressed the importance of increasing the involvement of social workers to help the orphans understand the value of this opportunity and to see it as a gift that must be used appropriately to benefit society. The Queen further stressed the need to facilitate the donation process in order to reach a greater number of beneficiaries. The Board of Trustees reiterated that the Fund has established valuable goals and created opportunities of a bright future for the orphans. The Fund helps to create confidence and a sense of security because it equips the children with the necessary tools to enter society. The Board concentrated on creating tangible and realistic goals. They said administrative and financial plans need to be applied which correspond to the principles of charity work. Queen Rania is the Head of the Board of Trustees. Also on the board are, His Excellency Umaya Touqan, His Excellency Sheikh Izzidine Al Khatib Al Tamimi, His Excellency Basem Al Salem, His Excellency Suleiman Tarawneh, Mifleh Akel, Mohammad Elayyan, Lena Kobti, Jumana Kawar, Laith Al Kasem, and a representative of Her Majesty's Office. The Board of Trustees elected five of its members to the Board of Directors which will be headed by Lena Kobti. //Petra// Shniqat 261731 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/26/31016800.htm

lizz70 said:

I completely overlooked the typo, I wonder what Freud would have to say about it.

lizz70 said:

I completely overlooked the typo, I wonder what Freud would have to say about it.

What a wonderful cause--thinking about and then taking steps to ensure the success of those who have graduated from orphan care centers so they will be able to make their way in the world and play a meaningful role in society! I'd never really considered the "gap" which exists in this transition for those who've been orphaned nor the services they might need. It's a very positive advancement and is clearly the result of a lot of thoughtful, strategic planning.

One question: Is Umaya Touqan a relative of the late Queen Alia? I'd heard the Touqans had long played an important role in Jordanian society; QA's father was ambassador to the UN, I believe, for awhile.

Anyway, thanks for the article! It's always good to read about positive things occuring in Jordan!:)

Little_star said:
Institutionalizing Al Aman Fund for the Future of Orphans</STRONG>

Pet0882 4 0688 Institutionalizing Al Aman Fund for the Future of Orphans Amman, Feb. 26 (Petra) -- Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah on Sunday headed the meeting of the Board of Trustees for Al Aman Fund in Amman. The Fund was launched by Queen Rania in 2003 to provide orphans who have graduated from orphan care-centers with support that enables them to become active and productive members of society. The Board of Trustees reviewed the achievements of the Fund since its inception, including the scholarships awarded to 17 orphans from care-centers, all whom are currently enrolled in Jordanian universities. The Fund is currently paying tuition and a stipend to cover living expenses, transportation, and school fees to ease the burdens on these students. During the meeting, Her Majesty focused on the importance of creating a comprehensive plan to introduce the concept of foster families, a model that currently exists in several orphanages in Jordan and around the world. Queen Rania said that the Ministry of Social Development is actively following up on social issues throughout the Kingdom and should play a key role in the supervision, evaluation and follow-up of the various institutions and initiatives in orphan care. Her Majesty stressed the importance of involving the Fund with other development organizations to help with vocational training, schooling, and providing work for the orphans. She stressed the importance of increasing the involvement of social workers to help the orphans understand the value of this opportunity and to see it as a gift that must be used appropriately to benefit society. The Queen further stressed the need to facilitate the donation process in order to reach a greater number of beneficiaries. The Board of Trustees reiterated that the Fund has established valuable goals and created opportunities of a bright future for the orphans. The Fund helps to create confidence and a sense of security because it equips the children with the necessary tools to enter society. The Board concentrated on creating tangible and realistic goals. They said administrative and financial plans need to be applied which correspond to the principles of charity work. Queen Rania is the Head of the Board of Trustees. Also on the board are, His Excellency Umaya Touqan, His Excellency Sheikh Izzidine Al Khatib Al Tamimi, His Excellency Basem Al Salem, His Excellency Suleiman Tarawneh, Mifleh Akel, Mohammad Elayyan, Lena Kobti, Jumana Kawar, Laith Al Kasem, and a representative of Her Majesty's Office. The Board of Trustees elected five of its members to the Board of Directors which will be headed by Lena Kobti. //Petra// Shniqat 261731 Local FEB 2006 
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Feb/26/31016800.htm

:) Too funny! Thanks for lightening the mood!

Now, I'm going to be the big dark blot again. The article you shared got me thinking. KH took a great interest in the needs of orphans; he and QN I believe donated a palace to some for their housing (think it was the one he shared with Queen Alia). Now QR is--well, its actually a continuation of her other efforts--focusing again on the needs of orphans. How many are there in Jordan? Is this a significant issue in the country? Is this a special issue in QR or KA's initiatives in social development in Jordan? (I'm sure it's more the provence of QR than KA but perhaps he also is involved).

Little_star said:

maryshawn said:
What a wonderful cause--thinking about and then taking steps to ensure the success of those who have graduated from orphan care centers so they will be able to make their way in the world and play a meaningful role in society!
Pictures from this meeting (Petra and Jordan Times)

King on Southeast Asian tour

His Majesty King Abdullah on Tuesday left for Brunei on a several-day tour that will also take him to Singapore. King will hold talks with Brunei's Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, Singapore's President S. R. Nathan and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on the Amman Message, Middle East developments, the global war on terrorism and means to boost relations between Jordan and the Southeast Asian countries. Jordan Times

I wonder when we're going to see a state visit to Brunei, given the friendly relations between these two royal families Im surprised there hasnt been one soon. I'd love to see one from both countries.
Doesnt look like Queen Rania is going with KA to Brunei. She didnt accompany him last time either. She's probably busy with her engagements but it'd be something nice to see.
The Bruneians go all out with ceremony and banquets.

Thanks for the photos of the meeting regarding this program. Perhaps QR is not accompanying KA to Brunei because she has so much on her plate right now dealing with addressing internal issues like this one....but, I agree, it would have been nice to see them both there. She's really launched 2006 with a number of meetings, visits and programs all revolving around the welfare and betterment of children in Jordanian society. I know this has been part of her initiative platform for awhile but it really has been her dominant issue--or so it seems to me--thus far. And it's good to see her directing these initiatives. The children of any country--and I believe 50% or so of Jordan's population is under the age of 21 (correct me if I'm wrong--but the number was huge)--are its future. It's so vital to focus on what they need if the future--in so many areas--will improve for them, for the country and for the world.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Pictures from this meeting (Petra and Jordan Times)
http://s2.supload.com/free/hnews2_27_2.jpg/view/

Last edited by a moderator:
More than 1,200 delegates from 75 countries will gather in Abu Dhabi from 12-14 March for the second international students' leadership conference titled Women as Global Leaders. Speakers include Jordan's Queen Rania, former Irish president Mary Robinson, UK barrister Cherie Booth, and UAE Minister of Economy Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi.
http://www.ameinfo.com/79208.html

Prep school to open in Jordan

AMMAN, Jordan, March 1 (UPI) -- Massachusetts' Deerfield Academy plans to help establish Middle East's first co-educational boarding school in the Kingdom of Jordan. ......

The facility was requested by Jordan's King Abdullah II, who graduated from Deerfield in 1980, The New York Times reports."
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060301-112931-6170r

It's an interesting idea but I cannot see alot of parents opting to send their kids to a co-ed boarding school.

maryshawn said:
The children of any country--and I believe 50% or so of Jordan's population is under the age of 21 (correct me if I'm wrong--but the number was huge)--are its future. It's so vital to focus on what they need if the future--in so many areas--will improve for them, for the country and for the world.

Really? I had no idea the figures were that high, I know Iran has something like 50% of its citizens being under 30 but I wasn't aware that Jordan was the same.
Although thinking on it it's not really a surprise, I imagine most Arab countries would have similar figures.

Little_star said:
Prep school to open in Jordan

AMMAN, Jordan, March 1 (UPI) -- Massachusetts' Deerfield Academy plans to help establish Middle East's first co-educational boarding school in the Kingdom of Jordan. ......

The facility was requested by Jordan's King Abdullah II, who graduated from Deerfield in 1980, The New York Times reports."
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060301-112931-6170r

thanks for the article.
There are ambitious plans to build an academy, modelled on Deerfield, in Jordan as well. KA and QR attended the ground breaking ceremony in 2004.
Deerfield must've made quite an impact on KA for him to have initiated these projects in Jordan.

I'll bet KA enjoyed doing the army thing in Brunei. Didn't he want to be a career army officer before being "promoted" to king?

King Abdullah II of Jordan (R) shakes hands with Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the Istana in Singapore on Friday 03 March 2006. The Jordanian King is in the city state for a working visit.

from ANP-EPA/HOW HWEE YOUNG

Attachments

• 2471203.jpg
    2471203.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 2471206.jpg
    2471206.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 168
Do you think the response to it will be positive? Will people want to send their children to a co-ed facility? I don't know all the ins and outs of schooling in Jordan. Are girls and boys typically separated? Deerfield certainly has a prestigious reputation and it's an interesting concept.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
thanks for the article.
There are ambitious plans to build an academy, modelled on Deerfield, in Jordan as well. KA and QR attended the ground breaking ceremony in 2004.
Deerfield must've made quite an impact on KA for him to have initiated these projects in Jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom