King Abdullah and Queen Rania Current Events 2: September 2004-March 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shelley said:
Another point re the king's non presence at the summit; having put the cat among the pigeons with this proposal, whoever was there woould have to face a barrage of questioning, press and otherwise, in Arabic. Although the king has made great strides in his Arabic competence over the past few years, he would have been out of his depth here. Much better to leave it to others and do what he is good at, which is talking to US officials and CEO's.

do you think that could be a possibilty for him deciding not to go?

-Eliza

Actually, I'm kind of confused, I was under the impression that the King spoke Arabic very well, correct me if I'm wrong

elizahawthorne said:
Actually, I'm kind of confused, I was under the impression that the King spoke Arabic very well, correct me if I'm wrong

NO he speak arabic very bad, if you understand arabic you should hear him , he is so funny when start talking in Arabic

elizahawthorne said:

No, King Abdullah's Arabic is not good at all. I actually think it was quite cruel of King Hussein,who must have been well aware of his difficency in this area to dump on him the way he did from this point of view ( heck - he was his father. It was his reponsibility to make sure it was otherwise , whether or not he envisaged him being king or not. An Arab who does not speak Arabic is pitiful. An Arab prince even more so. A Hashemite who does not have command of his language :eek: ).

shelley said:
No, King Abdullah's Arabic is not good at all. I actually think it was quite cruel of King Hussein,who must have been well aware of his difficency in this area to dump on him the way he did from this point of view ( heck - he was his father. It was his reponsibility to make sure it was otherwise , whether or not he envisaged him being king or not. An Arab who does not speak Arabic is pitiful. An Arab prince even more so. A Hashemite who does not have command of his language :eek: ).

LOL! okay so I guess he isn't well versed in arabic as I thought he was, but what does knowing arabic well have to do with being a Hashemite?:confused:

elizahawthorne said:
LOL! okay so I guess he isn't well versed in arabic as I thought he was, but what does knowing arabic well have to do with being a Hashemite?:confused:

Um...well, the whole Hashemite claim to fame bit is that they are the direct decendents of the Prophet Mohammed. This is certainly a 'big deal' to Muslims. King Hussein often brought it into his speeches and statements. Even King Abdullah has I think said that ' he is king of all the Hashemites'' and "head of the Hashemite famil" . It just seems a bit odd to me that if someone is so proud of their antecedents,that they don't have at least a fluency in the language of their ancestors, if not an excellent grasp of their history, literature, culture, , which I personally think is a must for an Arab head of state. :confused:

There are those who say that this is the reason that Prince Hassan's voice still cannot be heard on Jordanian television or radio. Nor Prince Hamzah nor Prince Rashid for that matter. No prince who is competent in Arabic is ever heard on JTV. This is of course a futile exercise in a world of cable and satellite dishes.

Last edited:
shelley said:
heck - he was his father. It was his reponsibility to make sure it was otherwise , whether or not he envisaged him being king or not. An Arab who does not speak Arabic is pitiful. An Arab prince even more so. A Hashemite who does not have command of his language :eek:.
Gee, Shelley, what do you really think about this subject?! ;)

Why aren't Jordanians outraged by this? Or are they, but unable to speak out? I live in the States, and if we ever had a President who didn't speak English fluently (er, well, we kind of do! :)), people would be--rightfully, I think--outraged.

UNITED NATIONS, UNITED NATIONS: King Abdullah II, of Jordan and Nane Annan, wife of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan pose with the Franklin Delano Roosevelt International Disability Award 23 March, 2005 at the UN in New York. King Abdullah II accepted the award on behalf of his country, being honored for its exemplary efforts to improve the lives of persons with disabilities. One of the first Middle East countries to enact disability legislation and introduce building codes aimed at accessibility, Jordan has been carrying out a wide range of activities aimed at its disability community. AFP PHOTO/DON EMMERT (Photo credit should read DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 52470035.jpg
    52470035.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 52470040.jpg
    52470040.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 52470051.jpg
    52470051.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 162
  • 52470072.jpg
    52470072.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 52470079.jpg
    52470079.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 133
About King Abdullah not speaking Arabic very well, I knew he wasn't very good at it but I didnt think he was very bad either. I wonder why he didnt make any effort to improve his skills when he became King. He could've taken lessons. The fact that he didnt bother to do so makes me think that it wasn't that important to him. I wouldn't buy the argument that he was too old to do so. Take for example Princesses Alexandra and Mary of Denmark. They were both from linguistic cultures completely different from Denmark and yet both of them learned Danish.
Its even worse for King Abdullah to not know Arabic properly because he doesnt have the excuse of being a foreigner.

shelley said:
Even King Abdullah has I think said that ' he is king of all the Hashemites'' and "head of the Hashemite famil" . It just seems a bit odd to me that if someone is so proud of their antecedents,that they don't have at least a fluency in the language of their ancestors, if not an excellent grasp of their history, literature, culture, , which I personally think is a must for an Arab head of state. :confused:

There are those who say that this is the reason that Prince Hassan's voice still cannot be heard on Jordanian television or radio. Nor Prince Hamzah nor Prince Rashid for that matter. No prince who is competent in Arabic is ever heard on JTV. This is of course a futile exercise in a world of cable and satellite dishes.
I think KA is very convenient in his use of his Hashemite roots. When he thinks it'll impress people or serve his purpose, he pulls it out. When it places an actual demand or responsiblity on him, he ducks from it. I see this as just an extension of his fundamentally duplicitious nature. But I think he vastly underestimates some people's intelligence. Not everyone buys his schtick.

Last edited:
papillon said:
Why aren't Jordanians outraged by this? Or are they, but unable to speak out? I live in the States, and if we ever had a President who didn't speak English fluently (er, well, we kind of do! :)), people would be--rightfully, I think--outraged.

From what I understand, even if Jordanians were outraged by Abdullah's lack of fluency in Arabic there is not much one (or even a group of like minded individuals) can do about it. In the U.S. if you disagree with the actions of President Bush there are numerous channels you can go through to express this disagreement without consequences that are too harsh or severe (or at least unlawful). I don't think this is the case in Jordan. And I think that with the lives of most Jordanians being a bit more difficult or a bit more of a struggle, how fluently or how well your King speaks (even a native tongue) is at the bottom of your worry list.

On the topic of Abdullah's lack of fluency of the Arabic language, when he goes on royal visits where the people speak Arabic how does he communicate with them? Is there an interpretor with him the way there might be if he were visiting Sweden and didn't speak Swedish and would need help understanding what was asked of him?

Well I dont think his Arabic's that bad. He can certainly communicate in Arabic. Whether its Arabic officials/heads-of-state from abroad or just average Jordanians. I've seen it in one of the documentaries.
He's just not as good as he should be considering his background.

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
Well I dont think his Arabic's that bad. He can certainly communicate in Arabic. Whether its Arabic officials/heads-of-state from abroad or just average Jordanians. I've seen it in one of the documentaries.
He's just not as good as he should be considering his background.

Thanks for the clarification ~*~Humera~*~. I wasn't sure if Abdullah's fluency was minimal or sufficient for everyday communication but not completley fluent.

King's address at a ceremony presenting Franklin Roosevelt International Disability Award to Jordan</FONT></STRONG>

Pet1380 4 0304

King's address at a ceremony presenting Franklin Roosevelt International
Disability Award to Jordan
New York/ March 23/ (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II
has affirmed Jordan's commitment to provide full care to the
disabled persons and facilitate their integration into society
and effective participation in community activities and to help
live an honorable life having equal opportunities with other
citizens.
King Abdullah made his remarks during a special function
at the UN Headquarters in New York Wednesday to present the
Franklin Delano Roosevelt International Disability Award to Jordan.
" We know that free and successful societies must open the
doors to opportunities and hope for all. Because we every person has
the right to make the most of their life and every person has a
contribution to make their nation," King Abdullah said.
Jordan believes that a comprehensive approach to development
and reform helps all society advance. " And so we have committed to
ensuring that our social, educational, and economic systems are open
to our disabled citizens," King Abdullah added at the ceremony which
as attended by public figures well-known for their dedicative efforts

to assist the disabled around the globe.
More...
Injadat/ Petra

link:
http://207.228.233.96/nepras/2005/Mar/23/24513400.htm

King's address at a ceremony presenting Franklin Roosevelt International Disability Award to Jordan...1st LD</FONT></STRONG>

Pet1390 4 0298

Disability Award to Jordan...1st LD
Following is the full text of the King's remarks"

Thank you Anne. And thank you all. I am honored to accept
this award, on behalf of all Jordanians - including those with
disabilities - who are working with such success to improve the
lives and futures of disabled people.
I am especially mindful, today, that in just a few weeks, it
will be exactly 60 years since the world mourned the death of
Franklin Delano Roosevelt. This was a man who - from the prison of
his own leg-braces - championed global freedom. In the largest
sense, Roosevelt understood that if this earth is to prosper and
thrive, all people must have access to the promise. He worked to
create a better life, not for himself alone, or his country alone,
but for the people of the world.
Today, those of us who are working for global development and
reform, take inspiration from Roosevelt's model. We know that free
and successful societies must open the doors to opportunity and hope
for all. Because every person has a right to make the most of their
life. And every person has a contribution to make to their nation.
More...
Injadat/ Petra

link:
http://207.228.233.96/nepras/2005/Mar/23/24513500.htm

King's address at a ceremony presenting Franklin Roosevelt International Disability Award to Jordan...2nd LD</FONT></STRONG>

Pet1403 4 0423

Disability Award to Jordan...2nd LD
This philosophy is the centerpiece of Jordan's commitment to
the disabled. It begins with the devoted work of so many people. I
think first and foremost of my father, His Late Majesty King
Hussein, and his enduring message that every member of the Jordanian
family is precious. I think also of dedicated public officials, and
members of non-governmental organizations, and even private
citizens, who have taken tremendous initiative.
A key milestone was Jordan's 1993 "Law for the Welfare of
Disabled Persons." This law affirms the right of disabled citizens
in society. It also established Jordan's National Council for the
Welfare of Disabled Persons. This Council brings together leaders
from across society, to speak for the disabled. The Council's great
work has resulted in a wide range of programs to diagnose, treat,
and accommodate disabled citizens. Let me note just a few examples:
New, early detection programs. New, advanced-medicine genetic
counseling. Free health insurance cards for the disabled. Specially
designed educational facilities. A new building code. A university
education, with 90 percent of the tuition paid, for disabled
Jordanians who pass the secondary schools exam. A special
enforcement unit to oversee job opportunities. Sign Language on
national TV news, and also in mosques during Friday prayers. And in
the works, is a national training center for community-based
rehabilitation. Jordan has also joined the international community
in supporting sports activities. We were very proud of Jordan's
participation in the recent Athens Para-Olympic games.
More...
Injadat/ Petra

link:
http://207.228.233.96/nepras/2005/Mar/23/24513600.htm

King's address at a ceremony presenting Franklin Roosevelt International Disability Award to Jordan...3rd LD</FONT></STRONG>

Pet1409 4 0560

Disability Award to Jordan...3rd LD
It must be said that historically, developing countries have
faced a special challenge in assisting those with disabilities. In
hard-pressed economies, it may seem difficult to meet exceptional
needs: specialized health care and education, community and
workplace accommodation, adequate transportation and communication
services.
The damage created by regional conflict can also hold
back progress. Jordan's approach to its challenges has been to
invest in our strengths. We are convinced that a comprehensive
approach to development and reform helps all society advance. And
so we have committed to ensuring that our social, educational, and
economic systems are open to our disabled citizens. But in this
interlinked world, no country succeeds alone. As we go forward,
we seek the support of all members of the United Nations, in
drafting the Convention for the Rights of People with Disabilities.
Let us work together for this shared goal with a maximum sense of
urgency.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest
appreciation to all the Jordanians whose work is recognized by
today's award. They include countless government officials and
parliamentarians. And many individuals, including members of my
family, who have worked their hearts out for these issues over many
decades. I must also express my gratitude to the many dedicated
representatives of the international community and NGOs. I think we
have all taken inspiration from the dynamism and hard work of Lord
Morris of Manchester, a pioneer for disability rights.
I would especially like to thank the Chairman of the World
Committee on Disability, Alan Reich, Ambassador William vanden
Heuvel of the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute,
distinguished members of the Roosevelt family, and Secretary-General
Kofi Annan and his U.N. team. My friends, in 1931, F.D.R. called
support for the disabled "a great cause, one of the greatest causes
of humanity." Today, it is our cause. Jordan is proud to be part
of that effort. We invite all people to join us in working for a
future of opportunity and hope.
Thank you very much.
End
Injadat/ Petra

link:
http://207.228.233.96/nepras/2005/Mar/23/24513800.htm

Jordan wins FDR award

NEW YORK (Petra) — His Majesty King Abdullah on Wednesday said Jordan was committed to ensuring that its social, educational and economic systems were open to disabled citizens. Accepting the Franklin Delano Roosevelt International Disability Award at the UN headquarters here, King Abdullah said Jordan, which was the first Arab country to win the award, was “convinced that a comprehensive approach to development and reform helps all society advance.”

“Every person has a right to make the most of their life. And every person has a contribution to make to their nation,” the King told a ceremony.

Speakers during the event praised Jordan's efforts to enact legislations that guarantee the disabled equality, as well as King Abdullah's endeavours to achieve peace and prosperity in the entire region.

They included UN General Assembly President Jean Ping, Nane Annan, spouse of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan who delivered an address on his behalf, and Vice Chairman of the World Committee on Disability Michael de Blant. Others included Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, the granddaughter of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt and co-chair of the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, Ambassador William vanden Heuvel, co-chair of the institute, and Robert David Hall, chairman of the National Organisation on Disability (NOD).

The award is given out by the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute and the World Committee on Disability. It recognises outstanding action in support of the United Nations World Programme of Action Concerning Disabled Persons, adopted by the General Assembly in 1982.

A NOD statement said the award “acknowledges Jordan's exemplary efforts to improve the lives of people with disabilities in their country, as called for by the UN World Programme of Action Concerning Disabled Persons.”

According to the statement, Jordan was one of the first Middle Eastern countries to enact disability-specific legislation and introduce building codes aimed at accessibility.

Commenting on the event, HRH Prince Raad Ben Zeid, chief chamberlain, wrote an article reviewing the award's history and Jordan's achievements concerning the welfare of the disabled.

Prince Raad said the Kingdom played a key role in entrenching the principles promoted by the UN World Programme of Action Concerning Disabled Persons.

He added that Jordan's efforts dated back to 1993 when the Kingdom issued the “Law for the Welfare of Disabled Persons.” Subsequently, the National Council for the Welfare of Disabled Persons was established, he said, to set and evaluate policies on people with special needs.

Following is the full text of the King's remarks at the ceremony:

I am honoured to accept this award, on behalf of all Jordanians — including those with disabilities — who are working with such success to improve the lives and futures of disabled people.

I am especially mindful, today, that in just a few weeks, it will be exactly 60 years since the world mourned the death of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. This was a man who — from the prison of his own leg-braces — championed global freedom. In the largest sense, Roosevelt understood that if this earth is to prosper and thrive, all people must have access to the promise.

He worked to create a better life, not for himself alone, or his country alone, but for the people of the world.

Today, those of us who are working for global development and reform, take inspiration from Roosevelt's model. We know that free and successful societies must open the doors to opportunity and hope for all. Because every person has a right to make the most of their life. And every person has a contribution to make to their nation.

This philosophy is the centrepiece of Jordan's commitment to the disabled. It begins with the devoted work of so many people. I think first and foremost of my father, His late Majesty King Hussein, and his enduring message that every member of the Jordanian family is precious. I think also of dedicated public officials, and members of non-governmental organisations, and even private citizens, who have taken tremendous initiative.

A key milestone was Jordan's 1993 “Law for the Welfare of Disabled Persons.” This law affirms the right of disabled citizens in society. It also established Jordan's National Council for the Welfare of Disabled Persons. This council brings together leaders from across society, to speak for the disabled. The council's great work has resulted in a wide range of programmes to diagnose, treat, and accommodate disabled citizens.

Let me note just a few examples: New, early detection programmes. New, advanced-medicine genetic counselling. Free health insurance cards for the disabled. Specially designed educational facilities. A new building code. A university education, with 90 per cent of the tuition paid, for disabled Jordanians who pass the secondary schools exam. A special enforcement unit to oversee job opportunities. Sign Language on national TV news, and also in mosques during Friday prayers. And in the works is a national training centre for community-based rehabilitation.

Jordan has also joined the international community in supporting sports activities. We were very proud of Jordan's participation in the recent Athens Para-Olympic Games.

It must be said that historically, developing countries have faced a special challenge in assisting those with disabilities. In hard-pressed economies, it may seem difficult to meet exceptional needs: Specialised healthcare and education; community and workplace accommodation; adequate transportation and communication services. The damage created by regional conflict can also hold back progress.

Jordan's approach to its challenges has been to invest in our strengths. We are convinced that a comprehensive approach to development and reform helps all society advance. And so we have committed to ensuring that our social, educational and economic systems are open to our disabled citizens.

But in this interlinked world, no country succeeds alone. As we go forward, we seek the support of all members of the United Nations, in drafting the convention for the rights of people with disabilities. Let us work together for this shared goal with a maximum sense of urgency.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest appreciation to all the Jordanians whose work is recognised by today's award. They include countless government officials and parliamentarians. And many individuals, including members of my family, who have worked their hearts out for these issues over many decades.

I must also express my gratitude to the many dedicated representatives of the international community and NGOs. I think we have all taken inspiration from the dynamism and hard work of Lord Morris of Manchester, a pioneer for disability rights. I would especially like to thank Chairman of the World Committee on Disability Alan Reich, Ambassador William vanden Heuvel of the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute, distinguished members of the Roosevelt family, and Secretary General Kofi Annan and his UN team.

My friends, in 1931, F.D.R. called support for the disabled “a great cause, one of the greatest causes of humanity.” Today, it is our cause. Jordan is proud to be part of that effort. We invite all people to join us in working for a future of opportunity and hope.

Thank you very much.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

link:
http://www.jordantimes.com/thu/homenews/homenews1.htm

~*~Humera~*~ said:
About King Abdullah not speaking Arabic very well, I knew he wasn't very good at it but I didnt think he was very bad either. I wonder why he didnt make any effort to improve his skills when he became King. He could've taken lessons. The fact that he didnt bother to do so makes me think that it wasn't that important to him. I wouldn't buy the argument that he was too old to do so. Take for example Princesses Alexandra and Mary of Denmark. They were both from linguistic cultures completely different from Denmark and yet both of them learned Danish.
Its even worse for King Abdullah to not know Arabic properly because he doesnt have the excuse of being a foreigner.

As I was told by an Arab friend who saw him speaking Arabic in a TV interview (at Al-Arabiya) last summer, King Abdullah improved his skills in this language a lot since he became king. I heard, he had a tutor for some time.

Last edited:
I also heard, that Abdullah II is not the first king of the Hashemite family who speaks another language better than Arabic: Abdullah I was much more fluent in Turkish than Arabic (he was educated in Konstantinopel-Istanbul).

Last edited:
from Petra:

King Returns Home</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0213 4 0320

King Returns Home
Amman, March 24 (Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II returned
home after a several-day visit to the United States, during which he
discussed with U.S. President George Bush and a number of senior US
Administration officials means of activating the peace process.
The King's talks also covered developments in the region,
particularly in Palestine and Iraq as well as Jordanian-US ties in
all fields.
His Majesty also met with heads and members of the US Congress and
a number of economic leaderships.
The King delivered a keynote address at the George Town
University during which he received an honorary doctorate from the
university in literature and human studies in the presence of world
politicians, economic, cultural and media figures.
His Majesty was accompanied by a number of Royal family members,
the King's Advisor for Security Affairs, Director of the
Intelligence Department, and President of the State Security
Council General Saad Kheir, Minister of the Hashemite Royal Court
Sameer Rifai, Deputy Prime Minister and State Minister for Prime
Ministry Affairs and Government performance Dr. Marwan Muasher, the
King's Advisor Akel Beltaji and the ministers of foreign affairs and
industry and trade.

Alexandria said:
I think that with the lives of most Jordanians being a bit more difficult or a bit more of a struggle, how fluently or how well your King speaks (even a native tongue) is at the bottom of your worry list.

I need Arab opinion here as I am neither an Arab nor an Arabic speaker. I have however always been led to believe that it is a big deal. To be proficient in Arabic language and lore is an important part of communication for an Arab leader. Look at any Arabic television channel; there are countless discussions and chat shows and panels. Prince Hassan's strength in this area is one of the reasons for his popularity with the rank and file Arab, or so I have been told. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The King has made enormous progress but he still cannot be at all fluent or convincing in the cut and thrust of a live broadcast in Arabic, be it to the press or otherwise. I believe that in Jordan, where presumably he has control of things, he relies on teleprompter etc and practises speeches and statements for days before delivering them. But I am willing to back down if the Arabs amongst our group say that I am misinformed on any or all counts. :rolleyes:

here's stuff from petra:

King Returns Home............1st LD</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0417 4 0739

King Returns Home............1st LD
The King's visit gained special importance especially at this
stage the region witnesses. King Abdullah was keen, during his
meetings with senior officials in the American Administration which
he started with a summit meeting with US President George W. Bush,
to explain the Jordanian and Arab stands toward all regional issues.

The peace process, situations in Iraq and the bilateral ties were
of the main issues that were discussed during that summit, where the
King reiterated that the understandings of Sharm Al Sheikh formed a
serious start toward preparing situations to build mutual confidence
between the Palestinians and Israelis and resume talks to fully
implement the roadmap with a view to put an end for the suffering of
the Palestinians and establish the viable independent Palestinian
state beside the state of Israel.

His Majesty stressed that achieving just and comprehensive peace
in the Middle East is the assurance for restoring democracy and
enhancing economic growth to achieve reform and the desired regional
development.

Concerning the Iraqi file, King Abdullah called on, during his
talks with president Bush, the international society to move now to
help in restoring security and stability in Iraq, keep its unity,
help Iraq reconstruct its institutions and enable Iraqi people
to participate in building its political and economic future.

As for the situation in Lebanon, King Abdullah re-stressed
Jordan's stands which support the implementations of the
international legitimacy resolutions including resolution 1559 and
the Security Council resolutions 242 and 338, and the full support
to hold free elections in Lebanon.

Issues of peace, security and stability in the Middle East,
the Jordanian-American ties and ways of boosting them were the main
axes in King Abdullah's meetings with US Vice-President Dick Cheney,
National Security Advisor Steven Hadley, US Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice, leaderships of the US Congress and heads of
the congress different committees.

The committees, which King Abdullah met, expressed interest with
the US President's demand to allocate further $200 million Dollars
support for Jordan within the additional aid program for this year,
in addition to looking into allocating further economic aid with
about $461 million dollars in the next year's budget.

University of George Town, which is considered one of the
American ancient universities, granted His Majesty King Abdullah an
honorary doctorate in literature and human studies in recognition
for the King's continued efforts in achieving peace, security,
enhancing dialogue and co-existence among the different nations
and cultures and His Majesty's support for achieving democracy and
implementing reforms in Jordan.

More...................................

King Returns Home.......2nd LD</FONT></STRONG>

Pet0438 4 0625

King Returns Home.......2nd LD
" We are living a moment that carries great capabilities to
the Middle East and to the World and that may be an age of openness,
progress, and prosperity," the King said during a ceremony, where
His Majesty received an honorary doctorate.
The Monarch pointed that ''We will not achieve this
capabilities unless we reach to the silent majority and give them
hope and successful means for political and economic participation''.
The economic domain was an important part during His
Majesty's meetings with chairmen of board of directors of
multi-national firms in the USA.
King Abdullah II reaffirmed that economic reforms,
which Jordan conducted through the past few years, positively
increased the gross national products GNP by %7.5 in 2004.
He also pointed that Jordan headed to openness towards
the big economic gatherings by signing many important agreements.
During His Majesty's meetings with Arab and Islamic
organizations, The king stressed the importance of showing the
true image of the moderate Islam which condemns all kinds of
extremism.
In this regard, King Abdullah II affirmed Jordan's stable
stands and its continued calls for fighting terrorism and rejecting
violence and extremism.
The Monarch called the Arab and Islamic organizations to
invest their relations with the US society with a view to change the
negative image about Islam.
During accepting the Franklin Delano Roosevelt
International Disability Award at the UN headquarters, King Abdullah
said Jordan was committed to disabled citizens by giving every
person the opportunity and hope to ensure a better life for all
citizens to serve their nation.
Honoring Jordan, which was the first Arab country to win
the award, came as an appreciation for Jordan over its efforts
exerted to help disables to serve their country, that became a
model in the region.
King Abdullah also met with editors of New York Times
Newspaper, one of the U.S. greatest newspapers, where His Majesty
pointed to the developmental and reforming programs in Jordan as
well as efforts exerted to improve life standards of all Jordanians.
His Majesty the King also reviewed the current
situation in the Middle East and the Jordanian role to achieve just
and comprehensive peace in the region.

End

Could exchanges please be done in English? English is the language of this forum and it would be nice if everyone could understand the comments being made or questions being asked.

Thank you.

Alexandria said:
Could exchanges please be done in English? English is the language of this forum and it would be nice if everyone could understand the comments being made or questions being asked.

Thank you.

okay, the only reason I was responding in french was because a member felt more comfortable in the language, sorry--I will refrain from using french, I was only trying to include her

Veram98 said:
I also heard, that Abdullah II is not the first king of the Hashemite family who speaks another language better than Arabic: Abdullah I was much more fluent in Turkish than Arabic (he was educated in Konstantinopel-Istanbul).

I am surprised to hear that King Abdullah I was not as fluent as in Arabic as Turkish.His mother was Abdiya, daughter of the Grand Sherif of Mecca and he was born and brought up in Mecca. ( Burkes Royal familiesof the World Vol II ) However, as his father's second wife was Turkish ( as were many ladies of the Sharifian family) it is quite possible that her children ( Prince Zeid and his sisters ) were more comfortable in that language. Having said that, Turkish was the second language of many members of the family until quite recently, due to the inter-marriage with Turks. However, King Abdullah was I thought hugely erudite in Arabic, which is one of the reasons for the late King Hussein's proficency in the language, his grandfather having surpervised his Arabic education. King Abdullah was not only formally educated in Turkey but was also a member of the Turkish parliament, so there is no doubt that his Turkish was also very good. Maybe he was truly bilingual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom