The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2021, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Having the entire city singing about you sounds both amusing and horrifying.

It's true, anyone can have addiction issues, and with alcohol in particular, the research points to it being widely hereditary — which is why if you have a close family member with this issue, you're particularly advised to watch what you do.

With Frederik, Ingolf, and a couple of other things I've heard, it does at least appear to be in the family... which got me wondering where it might have been before. I thought it might be more clear-cut if there was someone in the past, but I guess it's not so obvious.
Hardly.
Because even back then, becoming drunk is one thing, going to the stage where a family member has to be drunk just to function, wasn't something you bragged about in the family, and there were no doubt ways to deal with that.
Being send away or confined to your room until you sobered up springs to mind.
As for kings, certainly prior to 1660 (the introduction of Absolutism) they couldn't afford to be incapacitated by an addiction. They would either be sidelined, or before 1300; killed.

As for current DRF members. Well, I hope they are vigilant if there is alcoholism in the family.
There is still some talk of Joachim being an alcoholic, because he went on a few binges after the divorce from Alexandra. But there was no talk about that prior to the divorce, and not after marrying our Marie.
So to me that suggest that he merely did what men of his (and my) generation tends to do when it hurts: Get drunk.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
As for current DRF members. Well, I hope they are vigilant if there is alcoholism in the family.
There is still some talk of Joachim being an alcoholic, because he went on a few binges after the divorce from Alexandra. But there was no talk about that prior to the divorce, and not after marrying our Marie.
So to me that suggest that he merely did what men of his (and my) generation tends to do when it hurts: Get drunk.
Well, not "if". "Since". There is. However it happened, Frederik establishes it, and I'm pretty sure they and all their advisers know the story. All the evidence points to his problems with alcohol not affecting him alone. Hopefully, as you say, yes, they all keep an eye out, and it continues to not be an issue.

Tags
christian, danish law, isabella, mary: crown princess of denmark, royal dinner services