The Royal Family of The Netherlands, Current Events 1 (June 2003 - May 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marengo said:
Yes, before it was a private residence of Queen Juliana. As she and Bernhard lived in seperate wings the entire palace was used, so not much space left for visitors ;)

Oh I envy people that live in big houses. If they have a falling out with their spouse, they don't have to trouble themselves with such pesty things as divorces, they can just move their partner to a new wing of the house.;):D

But in all seriousness, it is sad. I think of all the pictures we saw of the four young princesses playing in the palace grounds with their parents. They looked like one big happy family ... I was saddened to learn that in reality things weren't so blissful!

Still, in spite of the sad associations with the palace, I would love to be able to take a tour ... someday!

well, the tour will only cost 12,50 euros, so don't let that stop you ;)
First they have to 'prepare' the palace for the visitors, which will cost 4 million euros I believe (payed by the state), note that this isn't even a big renovation (it includes created a restaurant btw)!!!

Marengo said:
well, the tour will only cost 12,50 euros, so don't let that stop you ;)
First they have to 'prepare' the palace for the visitors, which will cost 4 million euros I believe (payed by the state), note that this isn't even a big renovation (it includes created a restaurant btw)!!!

(Well, after paying $1000 for airfare, another $20 or so, won't seem like so much money!:D)

Wow, they're adding a restaurant too! Sounds like they are trying their best to make it a long term tourist draw. That would be nice if it could generate enough money to remain open indefinately. It would be rather sad to see it have to be locked up permanently, or even sold into private hands (or is that even a possibility?). I guess there is no chance that one of the Queen's sons would move there? It is a pretty big place to house just one family nowadays.

Well, the RF sold these palaces to the state, under the condition that the state will provide the housing for the King/Queen + spouse, the former King/Queen and spouse and the heir and spouse. So it won't be possible for Laurentien and Constantijn to live in Soestdijk (unless they buy it themselves).
I lost all hopes for the palace. The minister said that the RF didn't want to use the palace (the next 3 years anyway). I do not think Willem-Alexander and Maxima will move there, it is unhandy as they have to be in The Hague very often. The only thing I can hope for is that it will be the house for Queen Beatrix, after her abdication (if she abdicates at all), as the state has to provide for housing and Willem-Alexander and Maxima will probably move to Huis ten Bosch (the Queens present residence). But knowing Beatrix, she will probably do the modest thing and retreat to her beloved Drakenstein Castle.

The goverment obviously doesn't have a clue what to do with it, as they keep delaying any decision about it. To make it another long-term museum for the dynasty could be an option, the only problem is that we already have a splendid one in Apeldoorn, Palace Het Loo.

Marengo said:
Yes, before it was a private residence of Queen Juliana. As she and Bernhard lived in seperate wings the entire palace was used, so not much space left for visitors ;)
Marengo--you happen to know whether they lived in separate wings right after the start of their marriage or whether they started living in opposite corners of the palace after Juliana was diagnosed with alzheimers somewhere in the nineties?

By the way, I grew up sort of in the neighborhood of Soestdijk (well actually, it was a 20 minute bike ride from my house--hah! it takes a Dutchie to express time vs distance in biking terms ;) and I always always thought that building to be butt-ugly. Drakenstein, on the other hand, the miniature castle where Beatrix and Claus reared their three sons, I always thought was/is the epitome of modest but exquisite beauty--I hope Beatrix will live there again one day. Although if she would, she wouldn't have the option anymore to wander into her neighbor's garden--Soestdijk and Drakenstein's gardens border one another! Would be a little sad, what with her parents gone, and a bit isolated too.

I believe they seperated during the crisis with faith-healer Greet Hofmans in the fifties. But I am sure Juliana preferred this seperate wing over the one Bernhard rented for her at the Ursula-clinic (according to the late Willem Oltmans anyway).

I agree, the building isn't very beautiful, but strangely I am attached to it and I get a 'warm' feeling when I see it (which I do not have when I see the other palaces). It is a rather friendly building.
Drakenstein seems somewhat lonely to me as well. Let's hope Beatrix will retreat to Soestdijk Palace and Constantijn and Laurentien will take up residence at Drakenstein, so Eloise, Claus-Casimir and no3 can wonder into their grandmothers garden and she can pamper them as much as she wants.

The Oranjes out & about again... what an active royal family!

April 28, 2006, Enschede.
Today, Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven is officially Prof. mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven.
He gave his first oration at Universiteit Twente (UT) in Enschede.
His wife, sons, and daughters-in-law (minus Anita) attended the event, along with Queen Beatrix, Prince Willem Alexander & Princess Irene.

more information here : http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=15738

and first pictures from ANP :

Last edited:
more... from royalimages & the last one is from ANP of Beatrix's car

Last edited:
the last ones from royalimages :

and here he is... Professor Pieter van Vollenhoven

(photos from ANP)

Last edited:
Fabulous, fabulous pictures Purple Platinum!:)

It's so nice to see so many members of the RF together at such a big event for Pieter ... it gives us a good preview for tomorrow.

The first picture posted is probably as close to a "Margriet & Pieter" family portrait as we are going to get this year! (minus Anita, of course).

Last edited:
why is anita missing??? is she sick or sth? or..maybe pregnant -->hoping:) (so not feeling well??)

Great photos, Jess and Adry! Thank you so much. This was a nice "run up" to tomorrow's festivities!

Thank you everyone for all these wonderful pictures of Pieter van Vollenhoven's special day! :) It's nice to see Pieter's sons and their wives, and of course Margriet, but also Beatrix, Willem and Maxima and even Irene come out to support Pieter, especially in light of his recent cancer diagnosis.

I love this (nearly) perfect family picture of the van Vollenhovens. If only Anita and the kids could be in it!

I also really love this picture of the three youngest van Vollenhoven sons (where was Muarits?). I love how their arms are linked -- clearly brothers who are close to each other.

Princess Anita had the flu so she can't come.
I hope she gets better soon to join in the konninginedag.

I agree.. it almost like the perfect day for the Vollenhovens.
They must be so proud of Pieter. He has become such an important & respected man in the Dutch RF, probably most senior since beloved Claus is gone.

a few more pictures from ANP :

Pieter's brother & his wife

Floris & Anita

Bernhard & Annette

Maurits & Marilene

Margriet looked fantastic! She looks so much better now then in her younger ages! :)
I really really like Pieter! It's so nice to see him and his whole family! :)

Annual report of the popularity of dutch monarchy.

copyrighted by nos, that made the research and translated kindly by henri m. into english for brmb

Traditionally the national public broadcasting corporation NOS organizes an extended enquête about the monarchy. Here are the results.
Between brackets are last year's figures.
The Netherlands should remain a monarchy:
(79%) 79%

The Netherlands should become a republic:
(21%) 21%
Ik prefer it that the Netherlands remain a monarchy, but I don't think it is bad when it becomes a republic:
(20%) 26%

Ik prefer it that the Netherlands become a republic, but I don't think it is bad when it remains a monarchy:
(10%) 12%

I want the Netherlands to become a republic now:
(10%) 11%

What is your opinion on Queen Beatrix?
Not sympathic (21%) 12%
Sympathic (68%) 78%
Boring (49%) 35%
Interesting (37%) 48%
Distant (70%) 54%
Close to the people (24%) 38%
Conservative (56%) 51%
Progressive (20%) 28%

What is your opinion on Prince Willem-Alexander?
Not sympathic (10%) 8%
Sympathic (82%) 84%
Boring (53%) 37%
Interesting (35%) 51%
Distant (24%) 20%
Close to the people (66%) 71%
Conservative (32%) 28%
Progressive (40%) 47%

The Prince of Orange is suitable as head-of-state?
suitable as head-of-state (69%) 75%
not suitable as head-of-state (17%) 16%

What is your opinion on Princess Máxima?
Not sympathic (3%) 4%
Sympathic (93%) 92%
Boring (9%) 7%
Interesting (82%) 84%
Distant (8%) 8%
Close to the people (86%) 85%
Conservative (14%) 19%
Progressive (63%) 59%
Which members of the Royal House are the most sympathic?

Prinsess Máxima (78%) 72%
Prince Willem-Alexander (40%) 46%
Queen Beatrix (25%) 37%
Princess Laurentien (17%) 18%
Prince Constantijn (12%) 13%
Princess Catharina-Amalia (8%) 13%
Prince Friso (7%) 7%
Princess Mabel (5%) 3%

The Queen should get more political powers:
(13%) 8%

The Queen's political powers are exactly good enough:
(45%) 56%

The Queen should not have any political powers at all:
(39%) 35%
What is your opinion when Queen Beatrix sometimes ignores the politics?
I have a lot of problems with that (18%) 19%
I have some problems with that (21%) 19%
I have not such problems with that (31%) 34%
I have no problems with that at all (24%) 20%

The fact that the eldest child is the Heir is outdated:
Agree completely (27%) 22%
Agree for a great deal (20%) 22%
Don't agree or disagree (16%) 16%
Disagree for a great deal (15%) 15%
Disagree completely (19%) 23%

When should Queen Beatrix abdicate?
As quick as possible (12%) 8%
In 2007, on Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th birthday (12%) 17%
In 2010, when she is Reigns for 30 years (11%) 15%
In 2013, on Queen Beatrix' 75th birthday (4%) 5%
When Princess Catharina-Amalia is elder than 10 years (12%) 3%
As late as possible (12%) 9%

When will Queen Beatrix abdicate,do you think?
Before 2007 (3%) 0%
In 2007, on Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th birthday (8%) 6%
In 2008, on Queen Beatrix' 70th birthday (15%) 22%
In 2010, when she Reigns for 30 years (19%) 24%
In 2013, on Queen Beatrix' 75th birthday (11%) 14%
When the children of Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima are 10 years or elder (16%) 9%
In or after 2018 (5%) 4%
Doesn't know (23%) 21%

Prefer for King of Queen at present:
Queen Beatrix 42%
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima 41%
Doesn't know 17%

Confidence in Prince Willem-Alexander as King of the Netherlands:
Very much confidence (20%) 26%
Much confidence (42%) 39%
Nor much neither little confidence (20%) 19%
Little confidence (6%) 6%
Very little confidence (9%) 7%

How satisfied are you with the way how Queen Beatrix has reigned?
Very satisfied (16%) 24%
(Quite) satisfied (39%) 35%
Nor satisfied neither unsatisfied (23%) 16%
(Quite) unsatisfied (28%) 19%
Very unsatisfied (5%) 3%

Which qualifications are applicable for the way Queen Beatrix has reigned in the past 25 years?
Formal (78%) 76%
Involved (49%) 59%
Empathic (43%) 50%
Human (36%) 47%
Energic (30%) 35%
Distant (47%) 32%
Unpartial (24%) 31%
Kind, pleasant (28%) 25%
Stiff, tough (27%) 18%
Hard (16%) 10%
Fun (4%) 6%
Comic(al) (2%) 1%

What will the Queen do if she disagrees with a minister, do you think?
She will never let know her disagreement (6%) 6%
She will carefully express what she thinks but not put the minister under pressure (22%) 25%
She will carefully express what she thinks and put the minister under pressure (40%) 41%
She will let know what she thinks and will try to prevent it will pass (21%) 18%
She will obstruct it to the maximum (5%) 5%

What has your greates approval in the way the Queen fulfills her duties?
Representation of the Netherlands in foreign countries (62%) 75%
Comforting role when there have been disasters (48%) 60%
Her Ceremonial role (55%) 59%
Being a binding element in the Dutch society (43%) 50%
Her influence on the Government (27%) 32%
Her Addresses to the nation (20%) 25%

How is the distance between Queen Beatrix and the 'common people'
Very distant (19%) 13%
Distant (18%) 15%
Quite distant (35%) 32%
Not distant and not close (21%) 29%
Quite close (4%) 8%
Close (2%) 1%
Very close (1%) 1%

Do you think the Queen has shown herself more as a human being, in the latest years?
Yes (58%) 72%
No (32%) 20%

Do you think the Queen should present her more as a human being?
Yes (58%) 53%
No (30%) 36%

Do you think that Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima are preparing themselves well on a coming kingship?
Yes 65%
No 8%
Don't know 27%

Are watermanagement and sports good topics for Prince Willem-Alexander or should he give more attention to other topics?
Good topic 62%
Other topics better 18%
Don't know 20%

Do you think that integration and micro-credits are good topics for Princess Máxima, or should she give more attention to other topics/
Good topic 78%
Other topics better 9%
Don't know 13%

What is your opinion on the way Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima handle the media?
Too formal 10%
Exactly good 80%
Too informal 2%
Don't know 8%

Do you think it is justified that Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima take juridical steps against media when they publish pictures taken without approval?
Yes 81%
No 15%
Don't know 4%

Do you see pictures which were not officially taken?
I'm never interested in pictures from the Royal House 36%
Out of principle I will not see these pictures 6%
I will see these pictures with extra interest 9%
Does not make any difference for me 44%
Don't know 4%

Do you think Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima will modernize the kingship?
Yes 58%
No 25%
Don't know 17%

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting poll. They obviously like to have the dutch monarchy. What do the percentages in parenthesis mean?

Kelly said:
Interesting poll. They obviously like to have the dutch monarchy. What do the percentages in parenthesis mean?

They are the figures from last year's poll, just so you can compare any changes in opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom