The Countess of Wessex's Fashion and Style, Part 6: January 2014 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a professional photographer. Tim Rooke who is a royal photographer and I imagine very friendly with all the royals. They all know who is he.

The hem of that orange dress really is not great but good on The DOE for her charity work yet again.

Sophie has been rocking it lately. She really pulls off the country look well. I can imagine this photo being on the front cover of a magazine like Country Life.

That artcie is bit unflattering: calling her "frumpy"....

I wouldn't have called her frumpy. Before her engagement she dressed like many other British young women with office jobs - it wasn't the most stylish decade. Afterwards, she was practical and smart not frumpy. I do find her very stylish and elegant now.

Until 2011, Sophie's style was very hit-and-miss. She didn't necessarily wear truly awful outfits (maybe a few times), but I think she definitely veered into "frumpy" territory on quite a few occasions. It was over the course of 2011-2012 that her style changed significantly - she looks fantastic these days, IMO.

I'm sorry but for me she was frumpy and dressed too old. She looks wonderful most of the time now .

I'm sorry but for me she was frumpy and dressed too old. She looks wonderful most of the time now .

Yes, I agree she used to dress a bit too old, and also looked older as a result. Now I think she usually looks much younger than her age most of the time. (And it's not just her clothes that are different, but her hair and makeup, too. She started putting in a bit more effort in all areas - it was a pretty notable shift).

Sophie attended a dinner at Sotheby's hosted by Prince Albert and the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation in honour of Winston Churchill on October 29, wearing a black skirt and a short jacket over a white top:

** Full view ** Upper part **

I don't like very much the jacket but all the look is very elegant on Sophie.

I like this outfit a lot, though I think the jacket might have looked better over a solid-colored top. Either way, that blue looks really lovely on her.

don't really think this outfit does her any favors. The length is interesting, and so is the jacket, but the very large pattern of the jacket, midi skirt and wide skirt are made for someone very tall and very thin. Not a look that most can wear well.

I like the skirt and think it suits Sophie, but am not a fan of the jacket. For me it ruins the look - I would've liked it if the jacket were left in the wardrobe and she just wore the top and skirt (maybe with a different, plainer cardigan/jacket).

Last edited:
Actually I don't like the outfit either .. the top is too short or something and it must be one of the few outfits I think do nothing for her. As bad as the Harpers Bazaar outfit in her home .. the one with the dress and long coat ..

Sophie attended a dinner at Sotheby's hosted by Prince Albert and the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation in honour of Winston Churchill on October 29, wearing a black skirt and a short jacket over a white top:

** Full view ** Upper part **

I thought the overall was very nice. At first I thought the top underneath with the threadworm was a bit much with the jacket over it but it actually looks nice, you can't see it completely which adds something.

I just think many of us don't like the fashion sense behind wearing the same print family mixed in two colors as Sophie did here. I think the large size of the print has something to do with that. It seems to read more easily when you do this and the print is a smaller scale.
I do like it that Sophie pushed the matching prints/colors things a bit. It kept it out of the "dull black and white skirt/ jacket" territory.

I like the dress itself but not a HUGE fan of the jacket.

:previous: Very pretty. I had never noticed what a rectangular face she has until this outing.
The hair looks a bit heavily sprayed, tonight, but the earrings are terrific.

Sophie and Edward work separately a lot and I always wish I could be a fly on the wall when they come home and talk about "work today."

Finally - those old photos are a hoot. Working girl Sophie in Channel flats - wow has her style changed!

According to the Order of Splendor...

I apologise if I sound nitpicky but Sophie is wearing a skirt, top and jacket rather than a dress (unless you are referring to a different look).

...that actually is a dress, although it sure looks like a skirt with a top!

Very pretty. I had never noticed what a rectangular face she has until this outing.
The hair looks a bit heavily sprayed, tonight, but the earrings are terrific.

i agree; she needs softness around the face to look truly stunning; see this link:

Sophie

i love the earrings too.

Her hair and makeup look lovely, though I am not a fan of false eyelashes and Sophie doesn't really seem the type for them. The dress is fine but I doubt that the waistline was truly "exposed" despite the Daily Fail saying so.

Am not crazy about this look - she looks fine, but she usually looks better, IMO. The dress is alright (I agree with Princess of Durham that the waistline almost certainly isn't actually "exposed."). The hair was what stood out to me, and not in a good way: it looks a bit too severe, compared to how she usually wears it. Something about the way she's styled also makes her look a bit older than usual (I realize she's 50, I just typically think she looks younger than that). Basically the outfit is perfectly nice, I'm just feeling nitpicky because I know she can look better.

For me the last two dresses have been too long and she looks older in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom