Chateau de Caix, Cahors, France

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndaW

Courtier
City
Hiawassee
Country
United States
This beautiful estate seems to be privately owned by the Queen and Prince Henrik, does anyone have any pictures of how large the Chateau is, how many guest rooms, and do they ever entertain at the chateau?
How large is this estate ??
Any and all information is certainly appreciated...............thanks

Here you go, LyndaW:

HISTORY OF THE CHÂTEAU

It gives the history of the estate (I don't think it talks about the size), and it talks about the winery. You can also order wines from the site. I don't know if they entertain, but they do use it as a holiday residence. Hope this helps!

And some info from the Danish Royal Family's website:
http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_pal_caix

Also, Wikipedia (may or may not be completely accurate):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Cayx

And an aerial view:
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/74680/

Last edited:
:previous:
The Chateau is beautiful. The royal family is wonderfully lucky to have such a beautiful summer residence. :flowers:

It can be found on Google Earth by inserting the words Chateau de Caix, Cahors, France. The winery is close by. One can appreciate the location from this site.

I've read somewhere that it was at some time announced that the Chateau will be left to Fred and Mary in time. Is this true? Seems like an unusal think to announce to me.

I've read somewhere that it was at some time announced that the Chateau will be left to Fred and Mary in time. Is this true? Seems like an unusal think to announce to me.
The passing down of substantial property is usually never a surprise.

Another very fairy tale chateau. When I travel to Europe I would like to see it up close. However I guess that if it's a place of residence then tours aren't possible, hey.:ermm:

Another very fairy tale chateau. When I travel to Europe I would like to see it up close. However I guess that if it's a place of residence then tours aren't possible, hey.:ermm:

A tour of the gardens is available in the summer, but not the house no. :flowers:

Perhaps this is an odd question. Why would the Chateau be left to Fred & Mary, they have no farming/grape experience and they get all the perks of being the future King.
Business wise it would make sense to have left it to Joachim in trust for one of his sons

It could be because Henrik wants the Chateau to remain in the main line of the family (which will be Frederik and Mary when the Queen passes) and not be lost amongst the future 'lesser' branches of the family, where it is possible the Chateau may be sold for a number of reasons (death tax, financial issues).

Having inherited a house in France I am all too aware of the legal complications involved due to arcane Napoleonic laws which automatically makes a property divisible amongst children! In principle it is a very fine, nobel and fair concept, but it has caused terrible problems in the past in France where heaps of house end up being abandoned because siblings can not agree terms, sale prices and so on! The present law is really a way to ensure equality amongst heirs to a property but issues and feuds can perpetuate for generations as shares in property continue to descend in sub divided shares to lineal heirs, generation after generation until a property is sold or the interest of co heirs are bought out by other interested parties!

The simplest way around this is to have children as the heirs waiver all rights of inheritance to a property for the remainder of the lifetime of the surviving parent, as by law in France a matrimonial home is owned in equal share by each spouse...should one die the other retains their half share but the deceased spouse's share automatically passes in equal shares to any offspring! It can be a very tricky situation, but the offspring can sign an agreement giving the surviving spouse the right to sell the property, and do with the capital realized what they wish and the co heirs can waiver their rights to interfere in this! But the heirs do not have to do this!

I know this is not going to happen with the Chateau, but it just illustrates how the laws pertaining to regular property ownership and inheritance in France stand. I do wonder about the Chateau and it's status.....as I would have thought that Frederick and Joachim would in the normal legal sense be co-heirs to the property unless it has been entailed by special remainder to be held in some form of trust whereby creating a unique legal status exclusively pertaining to the Chateau and estate and similar to settled trusts in the UK!
It is a legal nightmare in France with property and I know that many people want the laws changed because of the issues that can arise pertaining to inheritance!

Is the Chateau the only property that Pr Henrik owns? Perhaps Joachim will inherit a different piece of property or Pr Henrik has started a new tradition in that the firstborn in his line of the family will inherit the property. So from him to Fred to Christian and so on.

Is the Chateau the only property that Pr Henrik owns? Perhaps Joachim will inherit a different piece of property or Pr Henrik has started a new tradition in that the firstborn in his line of the family will inherit the property. So from him to Fred to Christian and so on.

I believe this is the only property that Prince Henrik owns outright, away from the Crown. :)
I do not see the need for Frederik to have the Chateau when Henrik passes, he will more than likely be spending most of his time in Copenhagen, more the reason to give it to Joachim. :flowers:

Prince Henrik has already stated since last year that the Chateau will be CP Frederik's! We have to remember that even though Frederik will be King, those properties he will use as King are not his personal property but belong to the state. Marselisborg Palace, although private property, was a gift from the Danish state and will be used by the future kings/queens of Denmark.
Prince Joachim (who also has no experience as a wine producer) owns his own private property - Shackenborg.
So Prince Joachim has his own private property (Shackenborg) and CP Frederik will have his own private property (Chateau de Caix). Seems fair to me!!! As a matter of fact, that was the reason given by Prince Henrik for leaving the chateau to Frederik, i.e. that Joachim already had his own property.

Prince Henrik has already stated since last year that the Chateau will be CP Frederik's! We have to remember that even though Frederik will be King, those properties he will use as King are not his personal property but belong to the state. Marselisborg Palace, although private property, was a gift from the Danish state and will be used by the future kings/queens of Denmark.
Prince Joachim (who also has no experience as a wine producer) owns his own private property - Shackenborg.
So Prince Joachim has his own private property (Shackenborg) and CP Frederik will have his own private property (Chateau de Caix). Seems fair to me!!! As a matter of fact, that was the reason given by Prince Henrik for leaving the chateau to Frederik, i.e. that Joachim already had his own property.

Does Frederik have any experience as a wine producer? I'm sure Joachim could learn from his father.
I know that none of the palaces Frederik will live in will be owned by him, however I stand by my point when he becomes King or when his father dies he will be spending most of his time in Copenhagen.
When did Schackenborg Castle become private property for Joachim?
Did Prince Henrik say this in an article or interview? If so could you find it? :)
I see Frederik having no use for this property, so why shouldn't it go to Joachim who has a french born wife, and could enjoy it more.

From http://kongehuset.dk/publish.php?dogtag=k_en_pal_sch,
In 1993 Schackenborg and its estate was transferred to HRH Prince Joachim,
CP Frederik and Prince Joachim do not have wine growing experience but someone can be hired to run the estate.
Prince Henrik's brother runs the estate when Henrik is in Denmark.:)

Both CP Frederik and Prince Joachim only spend a short time during the summer at the Chateaux. So neither of them spend much time there. Why should Joachim own yet another private property because his wife is French? (Marie is only Henrik's daugter-in-law, CP Frederik is Henrik's eldest son). Then, Joachim would own 2 private properties and his elder brother would own none. Doesn't seem fair IMO.:flowers:

The interview with Prince Henrik was on August 9, 2008 from BT online!:)
Prins Henrik: Frederik får vinslottet - Royale - BT.dk
(You can use an online translator to translate from Danish):flowers:

From The Danish Monarchy - Palaces - Schackenborg Castle,
CP Frederik and Prince Joachim do not have wine growing experience but someone can be hired to run the estate.
Prince Henrik's brother runs the estate when Henrik is in Denmark.:)

Both CP Frederik and Prince Joachim only spend a short time during the summer at the Chateaux. So neither of them spend much time there. Why should Joachim own yet another private property because his wife is French? (Marie is only Henrik's daugter-in-law, CP Frederik is Henrik's eldest son). Then, Joachim would own 2 private properties and his elder brother would own none. Doesn't seem fair IMO.:flowers:

The interview with Prince Henrik was on August 9, 2008 from BT online!:)
Prins Henrik: Frederik får vinslottet - Royale - BT.dk
(You can use an online translator to translate from Danish):flowers:

I only mention the wine growing experience as you seemed to use it as a reason as to why Joachim shouldn't recieve the Chateau.
I don't see why Frederik should have a private property of his own he will have the run of all the palaces in Denmark. What would be the point in having the Chateau aswell? :)

Yes I realise that Frederik is his eldest son, but Marie has the french roots, and would probably enjoy spending more time in her home country with her new family then Frederik would. Just as Frederik would prefer to spend time more likely with Mary in Tasmania perhaps? :)

Neither of them spend much time there, but who do you think in your opinion is more likely to spend time there when Frederik becomes King?

CP Frederik and Prince Joachim also have French roots...through their father!!!!:flowers: And in any event...Prince Henrik has stated publicly since over a year ago that the chateau will go to CP Frederik as seen from the BT online link http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bt.dk%2Froyale%2Fprins-henrik-frederik-faar-vinslottetthat I posted. So Prince Henrik obviously thinks that Frederik should have the chateau even though he will be king and have many palaces to use!:)

In addition to that, Prince Joachim already owns property/land in France, apparently purchased when he was still married to Alexandra:)
http://translate.google.com/transla...et%20i%20ruin.aspx&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

How interesting --- but I still would like the Chateau to be held in Trust for one of Joachim's sons, as Christian will (like his father) have all the Danish Castles to enjoy, and I do think that Joachim has spent several summers "working" in the vineyards, and as a farmer it would be easy for him to understand the crop (grapes) also he is a businessman.
Both Joachim,Marie,Nikolai & Felix speak French often. Fred can speak & understand French but his wife can't. Also Fred & Mary seem to enjoy city life more Joachim & Marie country life

Oh well!

CP Frederik and Prince Joachim also have French roots...through their father!!!!:flowers: And in any event...Prince Henrik has stated publicly since over a year ago that the chateau will go to CP Frederik as seen from the BT online link Google Translatethat I posted. So Prince Henrik obviously thinks that Frederik should have the chateau even though he will be king and have many palaces to use!:)

In addition to that, Prince Joachim already owns property/land in France, apparently purchased when he was still married to Alexandra:)
Google Translate

I'm just argueing my point that I don't think Frederik should get the Chateau, thats a waste in my eyes.
Yes they have french roots, but how long in their entire life have they spent in France besides schooling? How many holidays have they made to the Chateau? Makes more sense for Joachim and Marie to have the property. :)

How interesting --- but I still would like the Chateau to be held in Trust for one of Joachim's sons, as Christian will (like his father) have all the Danish Castles to enjoy, and I do think that Joachim has spent several summers "working" in the vineyards, and as a farmer it would be easy for him to understand the crop (grapes) also he is a businessman.
Both Joachim,Marie,Nikolai & Felix speak French often. Fred can speak & understand French but his wife can't. Also Fred & Mary seem to enjoy city life more Joachim & Marie country life

Oh well!

Thank You. :flowers:

I only mention the wine growing experience as you seemed to use it as a reason as to why Joachim shouldn't recieve the Chateau.
I don't see why Frederik should have a private property of his own he will have the run of all the palaces in Denmark. What would be the point in having the Chateau aswell? :)

Yes I realise that Frederik is his eldest son, but Marie has the french roots, and would probably enjoy spending more time in her home country with her new family then Frederik would. Just as Frederik would prefer to spend time more likely with Mary in Tasmania perhaps? :)

Neither of them spend much time there, but who do you think in your opinion is more likely to spend time there when Frederik becomes King?

If I may kick in a footnote from the sideline;):

CP Frederik may not be a wine grower, but he is not completely without experience in this field; he was an intern with Mondavi, the Californian wine growers, and I suppose that he picked up some tricks from his father too! However he will need somebody to be in charge of the production!

IMO the reason that Cayx will be bequeathed to him is that as king, he will need a place to withdraw to from prying eyes. He won't be able to do that in Denmark unless he goes to the cabin in Trend forest, which is private property. There's also another aspect -this is only my opinion, but I think that it is realistic: Cayx is also a life insurance should anything happen to the Danish monarchy! I don't expect anything to happen in the immediate future, but the fact of the matter is that royalty should not take their existence for granted these days.

I get the impression that both princes are fond of France, however Prince Joachim more so being a self professed Francophile! I understand why some think that Cayx should be his some day, but ... again.. should the monarchy be abolished, Frederik will have a property outside Denmark.

As for prince Joachim and Schackenborg: it is rightfully his to keep or sell, as he likes!

Viv

This place is gorgeous I so wish it was mine I know that may sound too terrible but Mary must pinch herself a girl from Tasmania ..... too lucky and I just don't care how it sounds....

Yes, indeed. She's a very nice woman, from what we see, and certainly a beautiful one. Frederick is certainly besotted and she complements him. He looks to her when in a crowd and she always seems to smile at the right moment for him or give him a look of assurance.

She carries herself with grace and looks playful when with her children, a wonderful combination of a nice warm person who is completely natural, yet can hold her own on more formal occasions, at least seems to. One doesn't know exactly what she says to heads of state, etc., but she appears to handle this aspect of her life well.

The following article includes lots of pics of Chateau de Caix,
the title says "Here Prince Henrik will enjoy his retirement".

** BB article ** gallery **

beautiful picks, the place looks incredible, i wonder if they have like other chataus that you can rent a room for vacation? would be nice!!!

I didn't realize that they also have a pool............beautiful estate

Isn't their chateau in France originally belong to the family of de laborde de monpezat and I guess the princes inherit it since hereditarily they are counts of de laborde de monpezat

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik bought the Château in 1974. I'm not 100% sure if it was in the de Laborde de Monpezat family before that, as most info kind of stops in the 18th century, before then saying how the de Laborde de Monpezat's moved to Indo-China in the 1960s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom