Historic Royal Palaces and Stately Homes with Royal Connections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henry VIII had quite a few residences at his disposal

Hampton Court Palace
Whitehall Palace
Tower of London
Eltham Palace
Richmond Palace
Greenwich Palace and others!

A list of King Henry VIII's Palaces & Royal Houses

He was well housed! He had more palaces than any king before or since. Of course court life was quite peripatetic. They had to move on every so often so the palace they had been in could have a deep clean, not to mention having used up all the resources in the locality.

And all of the lands and wealth of the despoiled monastic houses added to that after 1535 :previous:

Syon Abbey I believe later became a residence.

And all of the lands and wealth of the despoiled monastic houses added to that after 1535 :previous:

Syon Abbey I believe later became a residence.

Indeed Henry did profit from the dissolution although he gave much land away to his favourites & frittered much of the rest on pointless conflict with France.

The Syon we see today is one of the great works of Robert Adam, at least the interior is. The exterior is rather dour.

Protector Seymour built the first house at Syon but I don't know how much of the abbey building was incorporated into his house. Some abbeys converted into houses, like Lacock, retain substantial monastic remains yet others, like Wilton, don't appear to.

Last edited:
I forgot to include St James's Palace, London where Mary I died in November 1558.

Edward VI died at Greenwich Palace
Henry VIII died at Palace of Whitehall, London,

Most of these Tudor palaces are long gone of course. There's bits at Richmond & the great halls at Eltham & Hatfield. St James's has its chapel & there's the cellar of Whitehall underneath the Defence building. I think that's it apart from Hampton Court & the odd survivor at the Palace of Westminster.

The Syon we see today is one of the great works of Robert Adam, at least the interior is. The exterior is rather dour.

Protector Seymour built the first house at Syon but I don't know how much of the abbey building was incorporated into his house. Some abbeys converted into houses, like Lacock, retain substantial monastic remains yet others, like Wilton, don't appear to.

Mary I returned Syon to the nuns but they were evicted again by Elizabeth I in 1560 and they fled to France.

Mary I returned Syon to the nuns but they were evicted again by Elizabeth I in 1560 and they fled to France.

They didn't last long. Not long unpacked & they were off again!

They didn't last long. Not long unpacked & they were off again!

It seems that the Bridgettine Order named their convent after the Biblical Holy “City of David which is Zion and was founded by Henry V in 1415 and was very close to the Sheen Palace.The buildings and chapel survived the reformation as on the 14th of February 1547 the coffin of King Henry VIII lay overnight at Syon chapel.The Nuns were restored .The nuns had been expelled in 1539 and returned under Queen Mary but were again expelled in 1560.

480px-KingsGreatWorksSheen.jpg

The tomb of Abbess Dame Agnes Jordan, last pre-reformation Abbess of Syon Monastery, died 29 Jan. 1546 at St Mary's Denham Church, Bucks.

The inscription reads "Of your charity pray for the sowle of Dame Agnes Jordan, abbesse of the monasterye of Syon, which departed this lyfe the 29 of Januarye in the year of our Lord 1546 on whose soule Jesu have mercye Amen"

207px-AgnesJordanAtDenham.jpg

An interesting map, present day Syon would be Syon II. And Sheen is Richmond.

Just realised - the well known hymn Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken Zion city of our god...was the bridal arrival music at Eugenie of York's wedding.

Last edited:
The Richmond Palace in 1562 the ruined Observant Franciscans church on the right hand side recently dissolved by Elizabeth I.

640px-Wyngaerde_Richmond_1562.jpg

I think Richmond must have been the loveliest of all the palaces. Straight on the river with an incredible skyline.

I agree and what a pity it was demolished during Cromwell's rule.

Framlingham Castle in Suffolk had a varied history it belong to the Norfolk but was seized by the Tudors and given to Mary Tudor prior to her accession and it was from Framlingham Castle that Mary marched on London in July 1553.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framlingham_Castle

Framlingham Castle in Suffolk had a varied history it belong to the Norfolk but was seized by the Tudors and given to Mary Tudor prior to her accession and it was from Framlingham Castle that Mary marched on London in July 1553.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framlingham_Castle

Framlingham is one those places that actually exceeds expectations. The scale of the walls is astonishing. A great survivor when so many similar places fell into ruin or were slighted by the parliamentarians like Corfe.

A bit like queen Mary I ;)

Indeed she was as was her sister. You certainly get a sense of place at Framlingham & can imagine Mary's supporters mustering at the great castle before setting off for London.

Indeed she was as was her sister. You certainly get a sense of place at Framlingham & can imagine Mary's supporters mustering at the great castle before setting off for London.

Can you imagine how jubilant Mary was at Framlingham after so many perilous years knowing she had the backing of the country despite her clinging to the old faith and then heading off to London!

Can you imagine how jubilant Mary was at Framlingham after so many perilous years knowing she had the backing of the country despite her clinging to the old faith and then heading off to London!

And many, most probably, of those flocking to Framlingham were not catholic. Unfortunately Mary subsequently confused their dynastic loyalty for a desire to restore the old faith.

He was well housed! He had more palaces than any king before or since. Of course court life was quite peripatetic. They had to move on every so often so the palace they had been in could have a deep clean, not to mention having used up all the resources in the locality.

All royal courts were on the move, for the King to visit different parts of the kingdom and alos for health and hygeien reasons.

The Savoy Palace is London was by all accounts meant to be one of the grandest residence for its time.The home of John of Gaunt,Duke of Lancaster was sadly destroyed during the Peasants' Revolt of 1381.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoy_Palace

And many, most probably, of those flocking to Framlingham were not catholic. Unfortunately Mary subsequently confused their dynastic loyalty for a desire to restore the old faith.
This is it precisely - she thought that the people were longing for a return to Catholicism when in fact it was more of a combination of "legitimacy" in not having an unnecessary change of dynasty and the hatred and distrust of the Dudley/Northumberlands. Had "Bloody" Mary been a little more pragmatic about religion, as Mary Stuart was to be later, and had she married someone other than Philip of Spain history would probably be kinder to her.

A clip about the visit of Victoria & Albert to the great pile at Stowe. Now a very special school indeed.

It certainly is. Sadly there's no detail about when & how the paneling from Hampton Court was sent to Otley. Maybe it was removed when Henry started to improve the palace after Wolsey's fall? It's about 80 miles straight distance.

It certainly is. Sadly there's no detail about when & how the paneling from Hampton Court was sent to Otley. Maybe it was removed when Henry started to improve the palace after Wolsey's fall? It's about 80 miles straight distance.

Cardinal Wolsey spent lavishly on Hampton Court ,Anne despised him wouldn't surprise me if his paneling was removed it may have had his arms/monogram on it.

Back
Top Bottom