The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2019, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Exactly. With the Phillips, Tindalls and Cambridges having to work around the school start date, this is a convenient time for them to visit Balmoral.
And the Wessexes.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Exactly. With the Phillips, Tindalls and Cambridges having to work around the school start date, this is a convenient time for them to visit Balmoral.
The Tindalls are not currently at Balmoral. Zara is at the Wellington Horse Trials in Hampshire.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

I’m not sure how roomy Balmoral is, so, along with their schedules, the family have to take turns visiting. It would be nice if the whole family could be there all at the same time and release a summer family picture like their European counterparts. Of course I’m just dreaming though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps the remote wilds of Scotland don't appeal to the Duchess of Sussex ? Its certainly 'not for everyone' - Shooting/Fishing/Deer stalking are certainly 'minority' interests, and there is little else to do [other than endless 'walks', or riding] on a Scottish Sporting Estate !

Do we know if the Duchess rides ?

The Duke's mother LOATHED Balmoral .
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Majesty

So apparently did Queen Mary and Princess Margaret, among other royals. And how do we know Kate for instance fishes and rides horses at Balmoral?

And if Meghan disliked the British countryside so much it's a wonder that the Sussexes chose a Cotswolds farmhouse to live in for several months after marriage, as well as Windsor for that matter, over KP.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

^ Aberdeenshire is far removed [in every respect] from the Cotswolds - it isn't 'smart', doesn't appeal to Londoners [much], and there is no nipping to interesting shops , as there are no equivalents to Cirencester or Cheltenham.

If one isn't 'sporty' its very dull indeed...
Old 08-26-2019, 10:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
So apparently did Queen Mary and Princess Margaret, among other royals. And how do we know Kate for instance fishes and rides horses at Balmoral?

And if Meghan disliked the British countryside so much it's a wonder that the Sussexes chose a Cotswolds farmhouse to live in for several months after marriage, as well as Windsor for that matter, over KP.
Possibly because they want to avoid the attentions of the press....
Old 08-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Harry and Meghan conducted their courtship on the royal estates, so they’ve been up to Balmoral. It’s just up to their schedule, I would guess.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Harry and Meghan conducted their courtship on the royal estates, so they’ve been up to Balmoral. It’s just up to their schedule, I would guess.
I thought that they met up at Windsor.. or he went to the US/Canada....
Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Majesty

It was said that Harry and Meghan visited the Queen at Balmoral in the autumn of 2017, after Africa. And Meghan does ride. There were photos of her on horseback that she posted on her blog The Tig, when it was around.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Nobility

In their engagement interview, the Sussexes spoke about their love of taking long country walks together. They also spoke about spending time ‘in the middle of nowhere’ & that they’d been ‘all over the place’.

Meghan has also written about her travels with her Mum, where they visited & hiked of the beaten path, far from tourist & shopping areas. Harry & Meghan appear to be a well rounded couple, sharing a love of nature. Perhaps they’ve already visited Balmoral & were not photographed, or maybe they’re not going?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
If one isn't 'sporty' its very dull indeed...
That's not true at all. Many people adore the highlands without partaking in bloodsports or riding. For example, there's painting, sketching, photography, birdwatching, walking & picnics just for starters. Half my family live up there & I manage to spend time enjoying the place without ever killing anything or getting on a horse.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

When holidaying with a group of people who all share the same/similar interests and you're in the minority, it can be hard to enjoy yourself or go and do your own thing without being too antisocial. I've just come back from a holiday with a group of family friends who all mostly had different interests to me (luckily the region of France we were staying in was beautiful enough for me to still enjoy the trip) so it was really hard to try and find things that suited all of us (even though we somewhat managed it in the end, and some people went off in smaller groups to do things they were more interested in). Perhaps that's another reason why the Sussexes haven't been to Balmoral regularly enough. Most of the BRF is into horse riding, shooting etc and when you don't enjoy doing that kind of thing there's not much to do unless you want to be very antisocial!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
When holidaying with a group of people who all share the same/similar interests and you're in the minority, it can be hard to enjoy yourself or go and do your own thing without being too antisocial. I've just come back from a holiday with a group of family friends who all mostly had different interests to me (luckily the region of France we were staying in was beautiful enough for me to still enjoy the trip) so it was really hard to try and find things that suited all of us (even though we somewhat managed it in the end, and some people went off in smaller groups to do things they were more interested in). Perhaps that's another reason why the Sussexes haven't been to Balmoral regularly enough. Most of the BRF is into horse riding, shooting etc and when you don't enjoy doing that kind of thing there's not much to do unless you want to be very antisocial!
As Harry’s mother found out. Where did this narrative that Meghan doesn’t enjoy country pursuits come from? She was opposed to hunting, but that’s not all they do at Balmoral. She, unlike Kate, does ride. All indications are that Meghan enjoys nature, hiking, and other outdoor pursuits. She and Harry went camping early in their relationship, Balmoral or the adjacent lodge will certainly be more luxurious than camping! At Balmoral they have barbecues/picnics - she likes cooking. From all I’ve seen she’s a social person who will undoubtedly enjoy her time away with Harry’s family. We know Charles gets along with her and everyone will enjoy time with Archie.
It makes sense to me to spread the family visits out over the time the Queen and Phillip are at Balmoral, the grands and great grands get more individual attention doing it that way.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Summer Holidays at Balmoral: 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
As Harry’s mother found out. Where did this narrative that Meghan doesn’t enjoy country pursuits come from? She was opposed to hunting, but that’s not all they do at Balmoral. She, unlike Kate, does ride. All indications are that Meghan enjoys nature, hiking, and other outdoor pursuits. She and Harry went camping early in their relationship, Balmoral or the adjacent lodge will certainly be more luxurious than camping! At Balmoral they have barbecues/picnics - she likes cooking. From all I’ve seen she’s a social person who will undoubtedly enjoy her time away with Harry’s family. We know Charles gets along with her and everyone will enjoy time with Archie.
It makes sense to me to spread the family visits out over the time the Queen and Phillip are at Balmoral, the grands and great grands get more individual attention doing it that way.

I wasn’t saying that Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities. I was just speculating - hence my usage of the word perhaps - that it could be a reason as to why the Sussexes haven’t been frequent visitors to Balmoral since it was being suggested she doesn’t enjoy the activities and was using my own personal experience as an example. Whilst it’s true Meghan enjoys cooking and riding, she might not like the whole holiday as there’s a lot more to it than that. I’m not trying to feed in the reports Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities, I’m just explaining myself again.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 PM
Nobility

We don’t know if the Sussexes have been to Balmoral or not. If the Sussexes haven’t been to Balmoral, perhaps it’s Harry that doesn’t want to be there. Meghan & Harry have only been married for a year, prior to that, other than his childhood, when was the last time Harry was photographed at Balmoral? Who knows, perhaps Balmoral brings bad memories for him, at this time of the year when his mother died.
In more recent times, Harry has spent the last part of summer in Southern Africa working with his charities & other conservationists.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Royal Highness

I would love to see the pics of the Sussexes at Barmoral. Not the pap stroll to church but more informal - enjoying the grounds with Archie.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Perhaps the remote wilds of Scotland don't appeal to the Duchess of Sussex ? Its certainly 'not for everyone' - Shooting/Fishing/Deer stalking are certainly 'minority' interests, and there is little else to do [other than endless 'walks', or riding] on a Scottish Sporting Estate !

Do we know if the Duchess rides ?

The Duke's mother LOATHED Balmoral .
But it was known that Diana didn't loathe Balmoral, she loathed the family situation and her relationship with Charles and the rest of them...being 'stuck' in a remote castle with them for days on end.

Meghan has said (there have been interviews and quotes posted in the past) she likes the country, certainly they are not living in London which could of happened. I do doubt the hunting/fishing has much interest to her, I don't think she's been around all that before.

Of course for me, being 'stuck' at Balmoral for weeks sounds like heaven. I can't imagine not liking it.

LaRae
Old 08-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I’m not sure how roomy Balmoral is, so, along with their schedules, the family have to take turns visiting. It would be nice if the whole family could be there all at the same time and release a summer family picture like their European counterparts. Of course I’m just dreaming though.
I have read Balmoral has 52 bedrooms. That might be an exageration. But there is also 7 bedroom Craigowan, Birkhall, William's three bedroom cottage and other properties on the estate. Certainly not as crowded as Christmas at Sandringham if the family all shows up.

Quote:
They mentioned they used Windsor during their courtship. They walked on the grounds where they had privacy. No mention of other royal estates.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I wasn’t saying that Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities. I was just speculating - hence my usage of the word perhaps - that it could be a reason as to why the Sussexes haven’t been frequent visitors to Balmoral since it was being suggested she doesn’t enjoy the activities and was using my own personal experience as an example. Whilst it’s true Meghan enjoys cooking and riding, she might not like the whole holiday as there’s a lot more to it than that. I’m not trying to feed in the reports Meghan doesn’t enjoy those activities, I’m just explaining myself again.
I don’t have the impression that any of the family, except the Queen and Phillip and Charles and Camilla over at Birkhall spend lengthy amounts of time at Balmoral -family units seem to visit for a week or so then some one else arrives - @ least that’s been my impression through the years.
I agree that vacations with extended family & friends are sometimes rather complicated and Jack and Meghan being the new folks in the situation may face some adjustments, Meghan especially as a new mom to a 3-4 month old baby.