Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 6: July 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work with someone very much like PM: privileged background, lots of charity work, connections to everyone. I do a really good impression of her. If PM knows of an eligible man to take her off our hands, I'd be grateful.

My point: most people like this aren't interesting. They're insufferable, and everything is all about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it's just tacky that she's talking about her family to the press anyway. Especially when she loudly proclaims: 'I'm not going to talk about the family. I absolutely can't do that.' (And then, 'Here I go.')

I don't know why the RF - or her husband - tolerate it.

This. I'm sure she enjoys the privileges of being a member of the BRF-invitations, status, etc. And she did enjoy living (at the Queen's expense) in KP for many years. It just seems rude to be so gossipy to the press.

Sincerely, I don't think Princess Michael said something that we didn't know already.

Sincerely, I don't think Princess Michael said something that we didn't know already.

Then why open her mouth to the press AGAIN about the RF? Because she wants it to be all about her, all about her in the headlines to make more $$$. Funny thing is, when other people do this, there is pretty universal agreement that they are engaging in tacky behavior. Why does PM get a pass?

I agree with those who have said that Princess Michael did not say anything nearly has inflammatory as the headlines printed. The papers just picked out the quotes they knew would cause controversy and picked the parts they wanted. However, she knows that she is disliked by the press in Britain and the British people in general, so why does she continue to even talk about the royal family? Saying "no comment" would make her interviews much less interesting, I suppose.

Also, Princess Michael comes off as terribly snobby and uppity and so above it all, which I find interesting since her background is not exactly as royal, rich and upper class as she wants us to think. I know she is doing PR for her new book but, seriously, she should just stop any questions about the royal family in its tracks and only talk about herself.

I still maintain that Princess Michael said nothing wrong and that as usual the press are doing their best to blow the whole thing out of proportion.

And while I cannot speak for anyone else in this country but I quite like Princess Michael and I know a few others that also do, so she's not so vilified as some like to make out.

In fact I'd probably hazard a guess that most of the younger generation would go who and dismiss her as being "too old and boring" since she's not William/Kate or Harry.

This. I'm sure she enjoys the privileges of being a member of the BRF-invitations, status, etc. And she did enjoy living (at the Queen's expense) in KP for many years. It just seems rude to be so gossipy to the press.
Therein lies the problem, they no longer enjoy their peppercorn rent and there were a spate of articles about how their business lost money again this year and of course they had to let their country house go not that long age due to lack of funds.

Then why open her mouth to the press AGAIN about the RF? Because she wants it to be all about her, all about her in the headlines to make more $$$. Funny thing is, when other people do this, there is pretty universal agreement that they are engaging in tacky behavior. Why does PM get a pass?
As you note, she is pushing her book to raise sales and thus help fund the lifestyle to which she has become accustomed.
Tacky, probably, but not nearly as inflammatory as the headlines imply.
The fact that the Kent's are no longer subsidized by HM really makes all of this a 'so what,' the public doesn't pay her bills anymore, she's free to say and do as she pleases.

But what is her motivation? The money she gets out of it with no regard to anyone else's feelings.

But what is her motivation? The money she gets out of it with no regard to anyone else's feelings.

Did you bothered to read the article? The Princess said nothing wrong or nasty, she just said the truth. Her Royal Highness even said she was thrilled for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and that she was very fond of the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

Then, she said the minor and old royals don't receive much attention (which is true), that Lady Diana never received much of an education (which is also true, but doesn't mean the girl was dumb) and that she was unable to cope with Royal life (again, very true).

Honestly, no one can get hurt becuse of Her Royal Highness' words, unless the person is overly dramatic or ridiculously sensible.

Yes I did read it- I am not being overly dramatic. The only comments that disturb me are the ones about Diana. No problem with her saying she's happy about William Catherine and George.
No problem saying she's hopeful for the younger generation.
No problem saying she thinks that the younger generation find older generation boring.
Calling Diana uneducated in her snotty way implying that she was dumb is going too far.

Last edited:
Yes I did read it- I am not being overly dramatic. The only comments that disturb me are the ones about Diana.

Why? Because you thought she was an Oxford-educated woman, who had a wonderful childhood with a loving mother and that she had a perfect royal life?

Princess Michael said only the truth, the problem is that some people don't like when Diana isn't idolized, when people say the not so good truth about her life.

No I am perfectly aware that Diana was uneducated. I don't idolize Diana I admire her. You can say someone was uneducated without implying they were dumb. I don't disagree with what Princess Michael said about Diana's mother though she should not of said it and Diana did not have a perfect private life as a royal by any means but she did make a big difference in public.

Did you bothered to read the article? The Princess said nothing wrong or nasty, she just said the truth. Her Royal Highness even said she was thrilled for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and that she was very fond of the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

Then, she said the minor and old royals don't receive much attention (which is true), that Lady Diana never received much of an education (which is also true, but doesn't mean the girl was dumb) and that she was unable to cope with Royal life (again, very true).

Honestly, no one can get hurt becuse of Her Royal Highness' words, unless the person is overly dramatic or ridiculously sensible.

1 ~ If you don't think seeing their Mother being used yet again by this piece of work to gain attention for herself isn't hurtful to William and Harry, think again.

2 ~ That last bit of your sentence describes you and your postings in this thread far more than it does the rest of us. The way you so fiercely defend her has me wondering if you aren't someone who knows her personally. It's the only reason I can think of for how you've been posting.

I'm sorry you're so blind to this woman and the continual publicity stunts she pulls, but she has a track record for this sort of stuff. That's the truth and also fact. If you can't see that, it's not the fault of any of us around here.

You can say someone was uneducated without implying they were dumb.

I would like to understand how Princess Michael implied that Diana was dumb when Her Royal Highness said:

'Like probably many people of little education who find themselves, like pop stars or film stars, suddenly lauded by the whole world, it is very difficult if you have not had a mother bringing you up who was quite stern and strict.'

I guess you have your own special way to define when someone is implying something.

Diana left school with no O-levels and never went to university. She was little-educated. But that doesn't mean she was dumb.

The Queen never went to school, but Her Majesty isn't dumb.

Maybe you should admit that you don't like Princess Michael and is trying to vilipend Her Royal Highness for something she didn't said.

[/b]2 ~ That last bit of your sentence describes you and your postings in this thread far more than it does the rest of us. The way you so fiercely defend her has me wondering if you aren't someone who knows her personally. It's the only reason I can think of for how you've been posting.

Yeah, I'm very close to dear Marie-Christine. I will have lunch with her tomorrow.:lol:

Maybe you should admit that you don't like Princess Michael and is trying to vilipend Her Royal Highness for something she didn't said.

This comment was not meant for me, but I'll admit it freely-I don't like PM, or at least the person she appears to be by making money off of her family connections. Her comments make her seem snotty, and it's tacky that she conducts herself this way.

PM also has to earn money. She does not get any from the royals.

Well, it seems all of us agree that she stated the truth - Diana was uneducated.

The difference is that some (maybe those who like Diana and/or don't like Princess Michael) interpreted it as her implying something else (ie, that Diana was dumb) while the others (those who don't like Diana and/or like Princess Michael, me included) concluded nothing else that she just saying the truth.

...I will not say I do not like princess Michael I've never met her I do not like how she comes across. She implies she thinks Diana was dumb by being snotty. It's all how she said it.

She said: "Like probably many people of little education who find themselves, like pop stars or film stars, suddenly lauded by the whole world, it is very difficult if you have not had a mother bringing you up who was quite stern and strict. She did not have a mother bring her up and she did not have much education, so it is much harder to cope with eulogy."

I don't see anyone being snotty nor implying that Diana was dumb. Quite the contrary. She's saying that the difficulties Diana encountered were in a high degree due to the things she lacked the most: a mother and education. None of which was exactly Diana's fault.

Again, I think the way we interpret Princess Michael's words has more to do with our opinions on the two people (PM and Diana) than the words themselves. (see my previous post)

I think I'll gingerly stick my toe in these thrashing waters and opine that Princess Michael meant nothing malicious by her remarks. I have to agree with Juliette that the obstacles Diana faced as pointed out by PM were due to certain disadvantages she faced during her lifetime. Little education doesn't mean you're dumb; you can be lacking in formal education but have "street smarts." Diana happened to lack more formal education and possessed those street smarts, but it didn't sound that PM was implying that Diana was dumb by any means. Actually, she seemed quite sympathetic toward Diana's situation.

Last edited:
Some extraneous posts have been edited or removed.
A reminder this thread is about Prince & Princess Michael; the virtues or otherwise of Diana can be discussed in the Diana subforum.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

PM also has to earn money. She does not get any from the royals.

There are lots of royals who have to earn money, incl in the BRF. And yet they're not dishing on their families to the press. Hmmm...wonder what their secret is!

Oh yeah, discretion.

Indeed , my reaction had a lot to do with what I feel about Princess Michael-as opposed to what she said. Now that I think about it, implied was the wrong word. She didn't imply anything, she was snotty, that's what I find offensive.

Indeed , my reaction had a lot to do with what I feel about Princess Michael-as opposed to what she said. Now that I think about it, implied was the wrong word. She didn't imply anything, she was snotty, that's what I find offensive.

The exaggeration of a few innocuous remarks by the Tabs in this case was because they wanted to plumb the anti Princess Michael sentiment which they themselves have created to a great degree. So they characterize her as attacking the 'real' royals and criticizing St. Diana, assuring clicks on their websites and sales of their papers.
I suspect that Princess Michael married far above the way she was raised and her arrogance/haughtiness is just the facade she's created to enable her to function in the world she joined through marriage. At the time they married she would have been considered a very unsuitable partner for Prince Michael being catholic and divorced.

Last edited:
Well, after seeing the interview the papers have all referenced to, I know three things…

1. After hearing the tone she used and also the way she acted during this interview, she knew exactly what she was doing. What she said about Diana and Sarah was meant exactly how many of us have thought, only when paired w/the sneery snotty tone she used, it actually came across as much worse.

Was Diana perfect? Of course not, but what good comes out of someone attacking a dead person so long since they've passed? None AFAIC and it certainly does make the person saying such things come across as a rather nasty piece of work, not to mention a rather sad one as well. Sure it's got people talking about Princess Michael yet again, but it's nothing to be proud of due to her, yet again, seeking attention in the worst possible way.

2. The Cdn Press are calling this, rightfully I might add, as one of the more bizarre interviews a Member of the Royal Family has ever given and have they ever got that one right. She does tell the interviewer (I'll get into him in a moment) at the beginning she won't be talking about the Family and he knows that, but it was the way she did it that was so odd. She acted like a giggly Schoolgirl at the first, but then quickly changed tack as soon as she was given a chance to "to dish" about Diana and Sarah and became all coy and mysterious.

For once, a headline for an article wasn't overstepping the mark, but was dead on target. Her behaviour truly was odd and bizarre.

3. Of all the people she could have done this interview w/, she couldn't have picked a worse person than in the form of Conrad Black if she was truly serious of getting good promotion for her book.. The man's a snake to begin w/, but also guaranteed to stir up curiosity and get her attention just because of Black being what he is. Even so, it still only got enough attention to have the Globe and Mail mention the bizarreness of is due to the Princess' behaviour and then to pan the show itself as a sad attempt for Black to try and get back into journalism. Which it is and combine that w/the fact his show's on one of the smallest networks in Canada and considering his reputation, I can't see it lasting for a long time.

I don't have a problem w/her going out to promote her book, if she was serious about it. Everytime she does have a book due out though, it never fails. She always ends up stirring the pot and saying things about Diana or Sarah or whatever about the Family. Which gets her in the Papers for all the reasons she says she can't talk about.

As sentences on the written page can be twisted and I heard the interview was about to be re aired, thought I'd check it out. The papers actually made it sound better than what the Interview actually was. Sad too she feels the need to do this.

Last edited:
Like Countess Mountbatten...Princess Michael, while having a right to her own opinion, should learn when to open and close her mouth. Diana is dead..leave it alone. All it will do is further marginalize her and husband once Charles becomes King.

Right- if you want press attention Why can't it be for something good?
As for Lady Mountbatton and Princess Michael learning to open and shut their mouths- couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom