Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting list! While I'm a bit creeped out with the inclusion of Zara, Eugenie and Beatrice as they're cousins (just my humble opinion, as I'm not trying to start the "cousins marrying" debate), the rest of the list is pretty interesting to think about.

politikgirl said:
Interesting list! While I'm a bit creeped out with the inclusion of Zara, Eugenie and Beatrice as they're cousins (just my humble opinion, as I'm not trying to start the "cousins marrying" debate), the rest of the list is pretty interesting to think about.

I'm with you on this. I can't consider first cousins to be contenders, but there are lots of other interesting possibilities.

I don't see anything wrong with first cousins. As far as I know it's legal here and quite a few suppose it depends on society. I have a cousin who married his second cousin on his father's side (in-law side) and they seem to be happy. I suppose it's just a cultural thing.

I'm intriged by this list (although I do agree on the first cousin thing, it might be ok if you never knew them but they all grew up together)

Anychance we can get more info on some of these ?

I do agree that it's a cultural thing. Like I said, I don't want to open the topic up for debate again, but like a lot of rules and laws are, the cousins marrying debate is very contingent on cultural norms, so I don't want to pass any judgment on it.

But there are certainly tons of interesting choices on the list you posted, BeatrixFan. I really enjoyed reading through it.

What about Princess Iman or Raiyah of Jordan? Raiyah, is currently studying at Edinburgh University and Iman graduated from Sandhurst as well.

They're on the list. I think that Princess Iman or Princess Raiyah would be perfect for Wills or Harry.

Even though this is just for kicks, I just can't see them marrying their first cousin. In fact I believe that is against the law.

And who is Princess Amelia of Brazil. Wiki does not have anything on her.

Last edited:
Empress said:
Even though this is just for kicks, I just can't see them marrying their first cousin. In fact I believe that is against the law.
The U.S. is one of the few countries in which it is illegal, I think.

Empress said:
And who is Princess Amelia of Brazil. Wiki does not have anything on her.
Amélia is the eldest daughter of Prince Dom Antônio of Brazil and Princess Christine of Ligne. Amélia's father is likely to become the Head of the Brazilian Imperial Family.

Oppie said:
I'm intriged by this list (although I do agree on the first cousin thing, it might be ok if you never knew them but they all grew up together)

Anychance we can get more info on some of these ?

The problem is: while this list seems interesting to us, I bet the proud parents of all these suitable ladies have already paraded their daughters in front of the princes hoping for something to happen. I know it happened that way with the two elder princesses of Oettingen-Oettingen und Oettingen-Spielberg (both empress Maria-Theresia and queen Victoria were granddaughters of Oettingen-princesses, so the House is quite nobly enough for royality).

It's not only the members of these august Forums who are matchmaking. And I personally am convinced that part of the (male) personel of this year's diplomats course that CP Victoria of Sweden is attending at the moment was carefully selected in order to give the princess a last choice before she has to embark on marriage to her (rather uneligible) boyfriend of the last years. The princess is going to turn 30 next year - time for settling down, the clock ticks...

Surely the same happens to William - I don't believe for a moment he is not paired all the time with other suitable ladies when it comes to events he attends without Catherine. ;)

If we're going to include 1st cousins what about Harry & Williams maternal cousins?

I researched the ages to the best of my ability but I ran out of time. The titled ones' ages are mostly on thepeerage.com if anyone wants to take the time.:flowers:

Lady Mary Douglas-Home, 23
Lady Iona Douglas-Home, 26
(Sisters)

Their father is the Earl of Home and chairman of Coutts bank and longtime friend of the Prince of Wales. Grandpa was former PM Sir Alec D-H. Lady Iona, who is a graduate of Edinburgh University, is a state schoolteacher and Lady Mary is a "rock chick" in a band that performed at Glastonbury 2005.

Source: London Evening Standard article, dated 31 March 2006, byline: Ticky Hedley-Dent

Some others:
Violet von Westenholz, 22,23
Victoria von Westenholz, 19,20
Laura Gerard-Leigh, 23,25?
Lady Rose Alexander, 23?
Isabella Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe, 23? (stage actress)
Gabriella AGC, age 17,18? (a model)
Hon. Violet Magdalene Astor, 26? (from Baron Hever branch)
Hon. Flora Astor, 28? (from the Viscount's branch?)
Olivia Buchanan-Jardine, 21-23?
Emilia d'Erlanger, 23-25?
Daisy Dird, 23-25?
Lady Edwina Grosvenor, 22-24?
Natalie Hicks-Lobbecke, 26-28?
Lady Katherine Howard, 28-30?
Lady Philippa howard, age??
Lady Rosanaugh Innes-Ker, 25-27?
Alexandra Knatchbull, 22-24?
Melissa Lilley, 23-25?
Emily Mortimer, 25-27?
Catherine Palmer-Tomkinson, 23-25?
Lady Sybilla Rufus Isaacs, age?
Lady Natasha Rufus Isaacs, 22?
Zara Simmonds, 29-31?
Louisa Welby-Everard, 30-32?
Lady or Hon. (?) Eloise Anson, 24-26?
Lady or Hon. (?) Rose Anson, 29-31?
Lady Emily Compton, 25-27?
Lady Alexandra Gordon Lennox, age??
Lady Lucy Alexander, ?
Lady Marisa Agar, ? (I think she might quite a bit older, maybe 30s, but I added her because I am not sure...)

Last edited by a moderator:
wymanda said:
If we're going to include 1st cousins what about Harry & Williams maternal cousins?

Well, I am not one to ever condone first-cousin relations of this sort, but just for giggles, here ya go:
Hon. Laura Fellowes, 25?
Hon. Eleanor Fellowes, 20?
Emily McCorquodale, 24?
Cecilia McCorquodale, 20?

I think the daughters of Earl Spencer are much too young! :lol:

I like Laura Gerard-Leigh or Emma Lippiat as an alternate for Harry because both of these girls made a cute match for him. I know that's a wrong reason.
He seems to love Chelsy and she seems in love with him so I hope they can work it out to the "end" of marriage, but those aforementioned would be a nice addition to the family as well.

For William, I liked Natalie Hicks Lobbecke, she is gorgeous but I guess the publicity was too much for her. She seems very shy and too private for royal life. But she would be a lovely princess, I think.

I wonder if Wills or Harry would marry a woman of a different race.

i think wills will marry a simple and lovely girl like his mother and harry will choose an adventurer girl.

BeatrixFan said:
They're on the list. I think that Princess Iman or Princess Raiyah would be perfect for Wills or Harry.

I really don`t:wacko: !!!!!!!!! because jordanian princesses are muslims as I know and is not acceptable to be married to men of other religions.That`s beside that the eEnglish princes would not.

And for me I think that all yours suggestions and prediction of the prince`s wifes not nessecarry cope with what William and Harry point of view;) .

Reality said:
I really don`t:wacko: !!!!!!!!! because jordanian princesses are muslims as I know and is not acceptable to be married to men of other religions.That`s beside that the eEnglish princes would not.

And for me I think that all yours suggestions and prediction of the prince`s wifes not nessecarry cope with what William and Harry point of view;) .

They can't marry only Catholics, all the rest of religions (including Islam) are not technically forbiden, though it is unlikely.
Since we all assumed (as Beatrixfan suggested) that Roman Catholics will convert to Anglican Church (to make things easier), we can safely assume that the Muslin Princesses will also convert (however unlikely it is in the real life).

I think that for many people converting is not such an easy option. Helene d'Orleans refused to convert for both the Duke of Clarence as for Emperor Nicholas II of Russia for example. Though times change there should still be enough people who will not sacrifice their religion.

To me it would be more logical in this day and age that the British goverment would change the act of settlement, as it is highly discriminatory, something which the British state does not want to promote. Of course such a change might be very difficult in practical terms.

I preferred young girls with long trace of high-born families as well. It means that we can enjoy the talks of long history bloodlines. At least Prince Charles did fulfill the needs. Forebears are such interesting things and these are things that fasinate people.
Sometimes I do think about the future of the monarchy. I wonder how heirs to the throne to fulfill their duty to preseve the institution. I am quite pessimistic about that. Once people do become more and more equal about their class and their identity, I think it is the end of the monarchy. Willam does need to do something to save that.

I believe the best thing he could do is somehow avoid female commoners. There are many marrying into the oldest monarchies and it really makes one wonder what sort of women that the populations are supposed to look up to and show respect. Princesses should be exceptional people with exceptional achievements. Lineage is preferable, but if he marries a commoner, then he should be selective.

Some of the most scandalous and nastiest people have been born Royal and some of the most common who married into a RF really put a positive spin on the family so I'm not sure I agree that he should avoid female commoners all together for the sole purpose of them not being Princesses. But on the other hand, good or bad, those born with the title already know the ropes so maybe it's easier.

Whoever it is should be someone who is a good person, practical, has a strong sense of moral fibre, will understand and accept what is expected of her and above all love and support the Prince in his duties. She should be his partner, do whatever it takes to maintain a certain level of decency for the monarch and again love him for him and not his title.

I've always wondered what would happened if William fell in love with someone outside of his race. What would the RF think of that? Would their be scandal, would the British accept her? Or would it depened on what the race was?

The "marrying outside their race" question, although seemingly innocuous, has in the past led to such rancour that the Moderators had no choice but to close that particular thread.

If previous experience repeats itself in this thread, the end result will be sadly inevitable.

Thanks for everyone's continued co-operation in ensuring an adult level of discussion.

Warren
British Forums moderator

What's about a thai princess? Ploypailin and Sirikitiya...
They are both very beautiful:wub:

CasiraghiTrio said:
Lady Katherine Howard, 28-30?

I'm for her... ah, to have a queen Katherine Howard on the throne... Doesn't matter that she is a bit older than the prince....:lol:

Warren, do you have a link to that thread? I am very interested in what people had to say. I apologize if I was stirring the pot. I didn't realize that question was so...taboo I guess.

Vita said:
some of the most common who married into a RF really put a positive spin on the family

The famous commoner, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon certainly put a positive spin on the Royal family. :)

sirhon11234 said:
I wonder if Wills or Harry would marry a woman of a different race.

Why not? If he fell in love with a woman of a different race so be it. I'd lvoe to see an Asian or Indian or Black royal bride for a change. :flowers:

Queen Charlotte was supposedly of black-Portugal descent so it's happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom