Are these initials of a British Royal?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarbaraG

City
San Jose
Country
United States
Hello. I am a new member and hope I am posting in the correct place.

I have an inscribed cup I found in a scrap metal box with the following initials:
P. H. G. B.
FROM
FAROUK K. OF E.

I am thinking Farouk K of E is Farouk, King of Egypt. I may be way off base, but am wondering if that is correct, and if PHGB is Prince or Princess "H" of Great Britain.

It appears old and to be a presentation type cup of good quality pewter or brass.

Would anyone know what those initials might be?
Thank you

Attachments

• cup.jpg
    cup.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 35
Hello. I am a new member and hope I am posting in the correct place.

I have an inscribed cup I found in a scrap metal box with the following initials:
P. H. G. B.
FROM
FAROUK K. OF E.

I am thinking Farouk K of E is Farouk, King of Egypt. I may be way off base, but am wondering if that is correct, and if PHGB is Prince or Princess "H" of Great Britain.

It appears old and to be a presentation type cup of good quality pewter or brass.

Would anyone know what those initials might be?
Thank you

Hi Barbara, thanks for joining on your first post! Please stay around and checkout the community, too :flowers:

Interesting object, considering the fortune he had I doubt he had everything engraved with his name unless this specific cup was for a special occasion. If he gifted a present to someone, logic would say it will be a card attached, so I suspect this cup could be meant as something very specific. I'm thinking in terms of a Cup given for some game or sport win? Polo Horse (race?) Great Britain?

Last edited:
I did an online search on every possible combination. I'm afraid, for now, that from Farouk cup's origin will remain a mystery like the Sphinx. But my take is the design, the handle and its simplicity and engraving seem to me as an award he participated or promoted on his name.

Last edited:
Great to see your reply! Interesting take on the initials. I had just assumed PHGB referred to a person, but you may be correct that it was an event. I wish there had been a tag or card, but considering it was in the bottom of a giant box in a scrap yard, I feel lucky to have found it. Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do a search. I bet you are correct, and I love your reference to it remaining a mystery like the Sphinx! Perhaps some checking on Farouk is my next step. It would be interesting to know how the cup ended up in a huge scrap yard in San Jose, California!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do a search. I bet you are correct, and I love your reference to it remaining a mystery like the Sphinx! Perhaps some checking on Farouk is my next step. It would be interesting to know how the cup ended up in a huge scrap yard in San Jose, California!

I hope you get to solve the mystery and tell us the results. It's still related to royalty because of the engraving implies it was presented to someone on his behalf. For now, think of finding what material is made of and search for how to clean it. Do not put it in a dishwasher, it has suffered enough humiliation already since the fall of Farouk.

Best advice is do an online search in your area of actual antique shops, and I mean the good ones with experts around, to give you a clue of what was this cup for.

You can also take pictures of all sides with your cell and go to a Reddit forum related to antiques and upload the pictures with the caption "can anyone tell me anything about this cup I found in my area...?" That flare will go around the planet and soon a person or more would recognize it and give you the story about it. If you solve the mystery on the initials, please tell us!

And most important, do NOT sell it! If is not that important make it your heirloom to pass to the next generation. If it's important, then check real auction houses for an evaluation and the percentage you get if sold. and I mean real auction houses, not the antique or pawn shop down the street.

Just think of this, in recent sports NY Yankees Aaron Judge hit two historical homeruns, the ball landed on a fan who was offered money right away. One fan gave the first one back to already millionaire Aaron Judge and just got presents signed from the Yankees, an industry worth billions.

The next one that got the other historical ball refused and kept it, and now will be part of a major auction. So, hope King Farouk, a legendary gambler and fan of horse races, brings you luck with that cup!

Hi... really appreciate your ideas and comments! I for sure will not sell it but will write up whatever history I find out and put it inside the cup. I did show the picture to a member of the British Museum staff when I was in London this summer, but they didn't have time to research and referred me to "Epigraphy". I just started that search when I found the Royal Forums site, so I continued my search here. I'll definitely post any information I dig up. I guess if it is truly related to Farouk, the King that's still a special find. I'll continue my research, and will welcome any and all ideas.

PHGB could well just be a person's initials, but as Farouk's first name is given you'd think that a recipient's name would have been given too, so I'm guessing that it was some sort of prize or thank you. No idea what, though. How intriguing!

Thank you Alison...It is interesting and fun to think it had some Farouk significance. But, would like to know more!

Thank you Alison...It is interesting and fun to think it had some Farouk significance. But, would like to know more!
Re
P. H. G. B. FROM FAROUK K. OF E.

Barbara, I'm making a quick stop with possible good news on that cup. I keep looking for possible matches between Farouk and any royal with the H on the name, it might be a gift for none other than Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester and Governor General of Australia.

I found a picture of both Farouk and Henry together in his visit to Egypt, so 99% chance this cup was made as a house gift or maybe, from the shape of the cup, something involved a game done in private:

https://www.greategypt.org/2017/01/king-farouk-with-duke-and-duchess-of-gloucester.html

I think you got a winner! :flowers:

Last edited:
Re
P. H. G. B. FROM FAROUK K. OF E.

Barbara, I'm making a quick stop with possible good news on that cup. I keep looking for possible matches between Farouk and any royal with the H on the name, it might be a gift for none other than Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester and Governor General of Australia.

I found a picture of both Farouk and Henry together in his visit to Egypt, so 99% chance this cup was made as a house gift or maybe, from the shape of the cup, something involved a game done in private:

https://www.greategypt.org/2017/01/king-farouk-with-duke-and-duchess-of-gloucester.html

I think you got a winner! :flowers:
I’m not sure if my last “thank you” message went through.
I really appreciate your doing the research and sending the link for the picture. Very interesting!
Maybe someday I’ll learn more. Again, thank you!
Barbara

Back
Top Bottom